daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #4561
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Hey Tubeman!

Can you please tell me why do fully automated subways have light signalling? I've noticed it in Singapore. Without a driver what's the point in red/green lights?
It is not uncommon to still have a colour light station starter signal to indicate whether the road ahead is clear enough for a train to depart and clear the platform area. This would be an instant indication to staff either on the train or platform if the train hasn't moved off past its usual dwell time (i.e. because the train ahead is too close).

They can also be used if the ATO fails and trains have to be driven manually, but obviously this would be at much lower speeds / frequencies than under ATO.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #4562
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
It is not uncommon to still have a colour light station starter signal to indicate whether the road ahead is clear enough for a train to depart and clear the platform area. This would be an instant indication to staff either on the train or platform if the train hasn't moved off past its usual dwell time (i.e. because the train ahead is too close).

They can also be used if the ATO fails and trains have to be driven manually, but obviously this would be at much lower speeds / frequencies than under ATO.
Thanks. A sorta related question - I know it's almost 100% impossible, but let's suppose an automated train starts moving while the light's red, is it expected from the passengers (because the one at the front can see the lights) to use the emergency stop button/lever in the train? I personally wouldn't do that myself but always wondered about it when in the subway.
Old June 12th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #4563
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Thanks. A sorta related question - I know it's almost 100% impossible, but let's suppose an automated train starts moving while the light's red, is it expected from the passengers (because the one at the front can see the lights) to use the emergency stop button/lever in the train? I personally wouldn't do that myself but always wondered about it when in the subway.
Well I guess there's nothing stopping a passenger operating the Emergency alarm on the train or emergency stop plunger on the platform any time they see fit... They'd just better have a good reason!

IIRC on the Victoria and Central Lines the 'station starter' signal is a simple white light that is either on or off, so there'd never be a red light.

The Jubilee Line doesn't even have this, as all signals are in the cab (when it's time to depart, a 'target point' distance ahead flashes up on the console). All the conventional signals south of Dollis Hill have been covered up pending removal. The other difference between the Jubilee and existing ATO lines is the absence of emergency stop plungers on the platform.
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #4564
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Hi

Do you have any idea what the working happening at Kings Cross sub-surface line platforms are, and why they're it taking so long??

Thanks
James
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #4565
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Well I guess there's nothing stopping a passenger operating the Emergency alarm on the train or emergency stop plunger on the platform any time they see fit... They'd just better have a good reason!

IIRC on the Victoria and Central Lines the 'station starter' signal is a simple white light that is either on or off, so there'd never be a red light.
At Oxford Circus WB on the Central the station starter is three aspects. Green, White and Red.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #4566
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemcbuller View Post
Hi

Do you have any idea what the working happening at Kings Cross sub-surface line platforms are, and why they're it taking so long??

Thanks
James
I have no idea. I stepped off the front of a Met train on the Eastbound last Monday for my usual speedy exit to street level, only to be greeted by a hoarding and a horrible throng of people trying to get out of the one remaining exit halfway down the platform.

It seems very strange as that exit, along with the entire station, has only just been refurbished. The hoardings say 'Network Rail', so I can only assume it's to do with the new ticket hall on the side of King's Cross station... and access to it.

Hope it's short-lived... it's a pain in the arse!
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #4567
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
At Oxford Circus WB on the Central the station starter is three aspects. Green, White and Red.
There's an article on Central Line signalling here

Still doesn't quite explain why there are 3-aspect signals and why they're in the locations they're found though
Old June 19th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #4568
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

I was having another look at your rail atlas today and was reminded of just how many tube stations have actually closed for good. Some I'm sure were due to lack of patronage (I think this applies to Brompton Road and City Road, say) and others were requisitioned during the war (Down Street); but were there any that perhaps should have stayed open? How about Lords station for example? And would reopening City Road station take pressure off the busy Angel station? What are your thoughts?
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #4569
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
I was having another look at your rail atlas today and was reminded of just how many tube stations have actually closed for good. Some I'm sure were due to lack of patronage (I think this applies to Brompton Road and City Road, say) and others were requisitioned during the war (Down Street); but were there any that perhaps should have stayed open? How about Lords station for example? And would reopening City Road station take pressure off the busy Angel station? What are your thoughts?
Lord's and Marlborough Road were effectively replaced by St John's Wood / Swiss Cottage (locations not identical, but close enough), so the current arrangement is superior as the Metropolitan Line acts as the express service and the Jubilee the local (even though the Met isn't the fastest between Baker St and Finchley Rd).

City Road would I guess pick up a reasonable number of passengers as it serves a very densely populated area, but it would require so much development it would be tantamount to building a new station (platforms would need lengthening, and I guess escalators would need to be sunk as lifts alone would not be fit for purpose).

York Road was mooted for re-opening due to the development of the adjacent King's Cross railway lands, and I think it's certainly the re-opening with the best case (the only one with any decent case, I think). However, the proposal was quietly dropped due to impact on Piccadilly Line running times between Caledonian Road and KXSP... I'm not convinced by this argument... It's a very long run currently and yes it would make that journey inevitably longer, but nothing that couldn't be compensated when the line goes ATO.

The fabric of the station is intact, but again escalators would need to be sunk in addition to the original lift shaft which is a big job.

No other closed LU stations have a cost-benefit to re-opening in my opinion.

I would re-open some NR stations given a magic wand though: Walworth Road, Camberwell, Old Kent Road, Junction Road (for Tufnell Park), Battersea (West London Line), St Quintin Park & Wormwood Scrubs.
Old June 19th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #4570
CairnsTony

Cool! That's pretty much as I thought but I guess stations on the tube are often further apart than say Paris where there is a very dense network of lines in the centre in a remarkably small area. Maybe that reflects the more high-rise living there.

Obviously significant capacity improvements are underway all over the system, but even with Crossrail 1 and (we hope) 2 do you think there is a significant need for any other new lines crossing the centre of London itself?

How about some of the 'lost' proposals for lines along corridors not currently served by tube? I know at least one that gets oft mooted is the DLR to CharingX for example; a route that has been part of more than one tube scheme in the past. But how about entirely new lines?
Old June 20th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #4571
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I have no idea. I stepped off the front of a Met train on the Eastbound last Monday for my usual speedy exit to street level, only to be greeted by a hoarding and a horrible throng of people trying to get out of the one remaining exit halfway down the platform.

It seems very strange as that exit, along with the entire station, has only just been refurbished. The hoardings say 'Network Rail', so I can only assume it's to do with the new ticket hall on the side of King's Cross station... and access to it.

Hope it's short-lived... it's a pain in the arse!
Indeed. The hoardings were first blocking the eastern staircase of the St Pancras exit (I don't know if it was previously on the western staircase) and are now blocking the staircase to interchange with the deep lines. Been like that for over a week. It looked like merely re-tiling when I looked through a couple of times.
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:26 PM   #4572
RedArkady
Viewseeker

Likes (Received): 37

http://londonreconnections.blogspot....t-ruislip.html

What do you make of this propsal Tubeman? I don't undertand why they don't create a new interchange station where the two lines cross instead... or move West Ruislip.
RedArkady no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 05:17 PM   #4573
CairnsTony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArkady View Post

What do you make of this propsal Tubeman? I don't undertand why they don't create a new interchange station where the two lines cross instead... or move West Ruislip.
One suggestion that came up in that discussion was extending the Central to Uxbridge via the old Uxbridge High St. branch. Interesting alternative from using the Depot chord, but would it be too round about a route I wonder...
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM   #4574
Paul Easton

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:

Had to smile at the comment "We feel that compared to other metropolitan town centres in London, such as Kingston, Uxbridge could be better served by the tube"

I live in the Kingston area and Uxbridge already has two more tube lines than we do - so it already is better served.
Old June 24th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #4575
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Cool! That's pretty much as I thought but I guess stations on the tube are often further apart than say Paris where there is a very dense network of lines in the centre in a remarkably small area. Maybe that reflects the more high-rise living there.

Obviously significant capacity improvements are underway all over the system, but even with Crossrail 1 and (we hope) 2 do you think there is a significant need for any other new lines crossing the centre of London itself?

How about some of the 'lost' proposals for lines along corridors not currently served by tube? I know at least one that gets oft mooted is the DLR to CharingX for example; a route that has been part of more than one tube scheme in the past. But how about entirely new lines?
I think Crossrail1 / Thameslink will go a long way to relieving the Tube system, combined with ATO and therefore increased frequencies on the LU lines themselves. All I can see happening in the next century in terms of purely LU expansion are a couple of extensions to utilise underused capacity, e.g. Bakerloo southern extension and Northern Line Charing Cross branch extension from Kennington. I very much doubt there'll be any entirely new LU lines, I'm dubious about whether I'll see Crossrail2 in my lifetime either.

I'd expect a little DLR expansion, but probably not on the scale of the past 15 years.
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #4576
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:

The four stations either side of the interchange are all in respective town centres / on main roads / served by buses etc... Assuming the interchange would replace at least two of these (I guess West Ruislip and Ruislip due to their proximity), I don't think there's a cost-benefit there as you'd trade in 2 well sited stations for one poorly sited one purely so that the residents of Hillingdon and Uxbridge can have yet another route into Central London. I certainly think that a Park Royal interchange delivers pretty much the same interchange options with much less mess, certainly any talk of diverting the Central Line onto the Uxbridge route is just daft.

If anything, I'd enhance the Chiltern service stopping at West Ruislip and divert the Central Line to terminate at Ickenham, with (if possible) an arrangement where arriving terminating trains have cross-platform interchange with Uxbridge-bound Met / Picc trains before diving under the Met / Picc west of Ickenham station to access reversing sidings, reversing back into a departing platform with cross-platform interchange with the London-bound Met / Picc. This would be the next best thing to Central trains running into Uxbridge itself, without having to complicate matters by actually doing it.
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #4577
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
One suggestion that came up in that discussion was extending the Central to Uxbridge via the old Uxbridge High St. branch. Interesting alternative from using the Depot chord, but would it be too round about a route I wonder...
Very roundabout route with potential traffic between West Ruislip and an inferior sited Uxbridge station of virtually nil... it's all Green Belt, and the entire abandoned Uxbridge High Street branch is flanked by flooded gravel pits along the Colne Valley so the only potential passengers are ducks... I just can't see the circuitous route into London from Uxbridge High Street being attractive to anyone.
Old June 24th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #4578
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Easton View Post
Had to smile at the comment "We feel that compared to other metropolitan town centres in London, such as Kingston, Uxbridge could be better served by the tube"

I live in the Kingston area and Uxbridge already has two more tube lines than we do - so it already is better served.
The ignorance of our local government officials can be frightening...
Old June 24th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #4579
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
If anything, I'd enhance the Chiltern service stopping at West Ruislip and divert the Central Line to terminate at Ickenham, with (if possible) an arrangement where arriving terminating trains have cross-platform interchange with Uxbridge-bound Met / Picc trains before diving under the Met / Picc west of Ickenham station to access reversing sidings, reversing back into a departing platform with cross-platform interchange with the London-bound Met / Picc. This would be the next best thing to Central trains running into Uxbridge itself, without having to complicate matters by actually doing it.
Wouldn't it be better to terminate Metropolitan line at Ickenhamn and have Picadilly and Central line terminate at Uxbridge? It would reduce the number of platforms shared by SSL and tube stock and thus reduce the height difference problem.
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #4580
sotonsi

@ MiaM:
but then you have the Piccadilly journey from Uxbridge to central London share tracks with three other lines, rather than 2.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube