daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:52 AM   #4701
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Important question Tubeman.

Is it true that this clip is the shittest bit of metro propaganda ever?

M-m-m-m-metro!

Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:36 PM   #4702
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

On that evidence... hell yes

Never heard an escalator called a 'stairway to heaven' before
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:45 PM   #4703
Tubeman
Jubilation

Actually don't forget the off-the-scale shitness of 'il fait beau dans l'metro'

Old October 4th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #4704
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Actually don't forget the off-the-scale shitness of 'il fait beau dans l'metro'
Sideburns - tash - FLARES!!! = 1970's? Hells teeth, was it really like that? It was, wasn't it...

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #4705
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2055

Tubey, how many spans does a Bridge need to be deemed a Viaduct? Is it 3?
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #4706
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
Tubey, how many spans does a Bridge need to be deemed a Viaduct? Is it 3?
Didn't know there was any sort of hard & fast definition

In my mind a bridge is a structure designed to cross over a specific single feature, e.g. a river, road, or another railway, while a viaduct is a uniform structure designed to connect two points of similar ground height or to artificially maintain a railway at a height above ground level (very commonplace in inner cities where railways came after houses / roads).

I think a viaduct becomes a bridge when there's a break in the structure at the point a feature like a river is crossed. For example, the Tube's highest point above ground level, the Dollis Brook viaduct (Northern Line Mill Hill East branch), crosses Dollis Brook and a road, but as the structure is uniform and connecting two points on opposite sides of the valley of similar elevation, it's still a viaduct rather than a bridge.

That's my take on it anyway
Old October 4th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #4707
ill tonkso

I actually found out today, you might be interested. According to Network Rail, a bridge with 5 spans or more is considered a viaduct.
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #4708
Dobbo

Likes (Received): 270

Tubey,

I saw an out of service southbound Northern Line train reverse at Stockwell Station yesterday.

Not exactly a groundbreaking observation - but does this kind of thing happen often?

[for clarification, the train was out of service when it entered the station, but appeared to be placed back into service when it was returning northbound. Seemed a bit odd when the Kennington loop could have been used a few hundred yards up the line...]
Dobbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #4709
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
Tubey,

I saw an out of service southbound Northern Line train reverse at Stockwell Station yesterday.

Not exactly a groundbreaking observation - but does this kind of thing happen often?

[for clarification, the train was out of service when it entered the station, but appeared to be placed back into service when it was returning northbound. Seemed a bit odd when the Kennington loop could have been used a few hundred yards up the line...]
The use of a simple emergency crossover like Stockwell during the traffic day is pretty unusual without very good reason (e.g. person under train or signal failure ahead). The reason why they aren't favoured is because delays are caused to both roads as the train has to be detrained for the move, and the driver changes ends to shunt back with the train blocking the running line.

A central siding like Tooting Broadway is preferred as the driver changes ends with the train off the running line, and also a suitable gap can be waited for when returning the train back in the other direction. The Kennington Loop is even better, as the driver doesn't even need to change ends (but annoyingly trains do need to detrain... they never used to have to).

If the train had come ex-Bank branch, it could not have used Kennington Loop however as it's only accessible off the Charing Cross branch. There is however a central reversing siding also at Kennington which can be reached from the Bank branch (as well as ex-Charing Cross).

The combination of events (empty southbound train reversing across the emergency crossover at Stockwell before re-entering service on the northbound) does seem very unusual and I can't really think why this might have happened... Whichever branch it had come off, it could have been reversed at Kennington with less hassle. If it had gone defective at Oval, then it would have run through to Morden for attention or been reversed back via Tooting siding if it needed to go to Golders Green. Sometimes there are defects that only affect the train in one direction, but even so I'd have thought reversal anywhere but Stockwell would have been preferable.

If you can remember what time this was, I can go back through the Northern Line incidents for yesterday to try to find the story behind this, as it's curious.
Old October 5th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #4710
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Just how extensive is TfL's programme at raising platforms (3'03" )?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #4711
Dobbo

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
The use of a simple emergency crossover like Stockwell during the traffic day is pretty unusual without very good reason (e.g. person under train or signal failure ahead). The reason why they aren't favoured is because delays are caused to both roads as the train has to be detrained for the move, and the driver changes ends to shunt back with the train blocking the running line.

A central siding like Tooting Broadway is preferred as the driver changes ends with the train off the running line, and also a suitable gap can be waited for when returning the train back in the other direction. The Kennington Loop is even better, as the driver doesn't even need to change ends (but annoyingly trains do need to detrain... they never used to have to).

If the train had come ex-Bank branch, it could not have used Kennington Loop however as it's only accessible off the Charing Cross branch. There is however a central reversing siding also at Kennington which can be reached from the Bank branch (as well as ex-Charing Cross).

The combination of events (empty southbound train reversing across the emergency crossover at Stockwell before re-entering service on the northbound) does seem very unusual and I can't really think why this might have happened... Whichever branch it had come off, it could have been reversed at Kennington with less hassle. If it had gone defective at Oval, then it would have run through to Morden for attention or been reversed back via Tooting siding if it needed to go to Golders Green. Sometimes there are defects that only affect the train in one direction, but even so I'd have thought reversal anywhere but Stockwell would have been preferable.

If you can remember what time this was, I can go back through the Northern Line incidents for yesterday to try to find the story behind this, as it's curious.
Yeah - i thought it was a little odd.

It would have been at roughly 11pm on Tuesday evening (4/10/2011).
Dobbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #4712
Tubeman
Jubilation

It may be a timetabled 'rusty rail' move if it was that late then... For a long time most emergency crossovers were timetabled for use every traffic day, usually early morning or late night, to keep the assets in good working order. This has fallen out of favour because very often they'd cause signal / points failures which are deemed unnecessary if they arose purely through trying to keep the assets ticking over just in case they were ever needed. Even worse if the points failed in the 'reverse' position as is often the case (i.e. not for through running), as they'd then have to be eased and manually blown across (insufficient grease is a common issue).
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #4713
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover
Just how extensive is TfL's programme at raising platforms
I don't know what the ultimate plan is, but at present it appears to be mostly Vic line platforms that have humps, plus other humps on other line's platforms at step-free stations (e.g. King's Cross St Pancras).

Obviously they're only necessary where there's a step up... The S Stock are much lower floored than A stock for example, so the step onto Met line trains is greatly diminishing. I guess ultimately the subsurface platforms may all be adjusted to match S Stock floor height.
Old October 7th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #4714
sotonsi

I've noticed recently how bad the step down onto the Piccadilly line is on the ex-District line platforms (ie west of Hammersmith, excluding Hatton Cross and Heathrow). Other than the shared ones, the track ought to be raised or the platform given dips (like reverse humps) or something.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #4715
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
I've noticed recently how bad the step down onto the Piccadilly line is on the ex-District line platforms (ie west of Hammersmith, excluding Hatton Cross and Heathrow). Other than the shared ones, the track ought to be raised or the platform given dips (like reverse humps) or something.
Yes there's no excuse really... over time track gets gradually higher due to tracklaying / new ballast / lifting & packing... that's why surface stock trains are now limited to 5mph under overbridges between Hanger Lane Junction and Rayners Lane (clearances have got less over time).

Maybe we're hoping in 50 years time there'll be no step at the ex-District Line Piccadilly stations?!

Like the Met and Jub have had to be segregated Finchley Road to Wembley Park, at some point sooner rather than later the same will have to happen to the District / Picc Barons Court to Acton Town, as one will inevitably upgrade before the other, then they'll have incompatible signalling.

This would also have to precipitate (presumably) the overdue suspension of the Piccadilly Line to Uxbridge in favour of the District so the two lines can be completely segregated... would result in four western branches to the District though (somewhat mitigated by the imminent suspension of the Olympia service). This also means there will finally be no mixed-stock platforms on LU, so platform heights can be adjusted for step-free.
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #4716
trainrover

filling gaps (gap fillers)

I came across a gap filler on NYC's Lexington subway some years ago, I can't find any video of it. Some frightening mechanical device, such that the extendable platform was shot back by the departing car end as its train left the station at a regular speed. Here's a video of other ones along the same line that shows trains now gently leaving the platforms, the gap filler I saw seemed longer, filling a tighter bend -- I presume the gentle speed stems from news like this here televised report (warning: has some disturbing images -- same Lexington-Ave station featured)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr23Derek View Post
Sideburns - tash - FLARES!!! = 1970's? Hells teeth, was it really like that? It was, wasn't it...

Derek
Yes, it sure was ... plus ... ... ... it lasted right through the '80s ... what got us English-speaking Montrealers were the bus and metro drivers' moustaches (e.g., 0'43" ) -- parody follows (It's Hot in the Métro):

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
▲▲▼▼

Ils ont raison

Last edited by trainrover; April 25th, 2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: original video de-linked, alternate one now targeted, which happens to be preceded by an advert
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #4717
Tubeman
Jubilation

Ouch. The gap doesn't even look that big in the video to be honest... seems like a complete folly to have the fillers there at all... they must cause all manner of problems if they fail 'out'. I'm not aware of LU ever having tried these out... I suspect they can cause more problems than they solve.
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #4718
trainrover

I agree. I'm now pretty sure the gap filler I watched was at that same station but on the uptown lines, plus it was too big (larger) a clanging industrial contraption for my liking, filling a tighter bend along the tail end of the local platform (I haven't bothered determining whether either video features the downtown platforms there).

Last edited by trainrover; October 9th, 2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old October 11th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #4719
ill tonkso

Something has been bugging me for ages. Some of the Class 450's have HC after their class and reg number. E.G. 450 001 HC. Most don't, what does the HC stand for?
Old October 11th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #4720
Mostly Lurking

Likes (Received): 0

High Capacity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British..._modifications
Mostly Lurking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube