daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2011, 10:37 PM   #4741
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Yes I see no reason why it would work any differently to a Gold card (annual season ticket) loaded on to an Oyster... you can get PAYG put on the same card now, so that every time you go outside of your Gold card zones you get charged the extra.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM   #4742
macattack

Likes (Received): 1

Few questions that have been bugging me:

Does anybody know what the series of abandoned lines that run from Romford almost as far as Ilford were for?

At the point where the c2c into Fenchurch moves from 4 tracks to 2, there is an abandoned viaduct on the right hand side that looks at though it points towards Liverpool St. Originally I thought it was perhaps something to do with the old Leman St station but it is too far east.

Is the Dlr extension to Dagenham Dock likely to ever be built per the 2020 Horizon? I assume its a case of waiting for the demand from the Thames Gateway project.
macattack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:01 PM   #4743
lemmo

Likes (Received): 60

macattack, see this Railway Clearing House diagram for the various goods depots on the run into Fenchurch St

Aldgate, Bishopsgate, Haydon Square, Liverpool Street, Mansion House, Spitalfields & Whitechapel RJD 45, from Wikimedia Commons
lemmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:15 PM   #4744
macattack

Ah, that would be why I couldnt find anything, hadn't appreciated quite how many old goods yards were in the area. Thanks Lemmo.

Id imagine the Romford - Ilford tracks are probably for something similar.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:27 PM   #4745
Tubeman
Jubilation

Hi mac

The most prominent remains of these goods stations is the stub of viaduct accessing Commercial Road Goods parallel with Pinchin Street:

[IMG]http://i43.************/1230dv7.jpg[/IMG]

Regarding Romford to Ilford, there are several different facilities, both abandoned and in situ... starting at Romford on the south side you had the goods yard immediately west of the station (abandoned), which was at street level. Part of the throat of the yard is still technically in use as an engineering depot. West of that parallel to the main line is the former gasworks, now partly an overhead line maintenance depot. Both of these look pretty disused on satellite photos.

There was then nothing between here and Chadwell Heath, barring the foundations for a never-opened station at Crowlands (on Jutsums lane).

East of Chadwell Heath, also on the south side, was the goods yard there, then to the west there still is a single siding which once accessed the Becontree Estate light railway (used for construction of the vast housing estate in the late 1920's / early 1930's). Between Chadwell Heath and Goodmayes, on both sides of the main line, there used to be a large goods marshalling yard.

Then there was nothing between Goodmayes and Seven Kings, then between here and Ilford there was a goods yard on the south side opposite the extant depot.
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #4746
macattack

Excellent, thanks for that.
I've done a bit more digging and it seems that most of Romford has changed dramatically in the last 40 years or so.
I only remember from about 1992 onwards (aged 5) when the black inter-citys used to barrell past.
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #4747
dingsongdead

Likes (Received): 0

Tubeman! Im new to hear and you're the reason I've joined.

Im in dire need of a sideways/profile/landscape image of the ICONIC 1938 London Underground Stock. It needs to the 'famous/iconic' one with the correct red paintwork. I need this to complete am illustration brief I've been set.

My client and I are having an awful time trying to source one of these. We've contacted the travel museum but we're waiting to hear back from them.

Any help would be amazing! If you have a link to an image or have one you could email me then let me know and I'll send you my email address!

Many thanks.
dingsongdead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #4748
Tubeman
Jubilation

Hi there, I know I replied to your PM with an image, but I didn't realise you needed a profile picture... I'm struggling to find this too.

Search for 'British Rail Class 483' too, as this is the class number of the 1938 stocks still working on the Isle of Wight... the car bodies are virtually unchanged.

Regarding colour, it seemed to vary between a bright pillarbox red to a more burned red colour over the years. At the point of retiring in the 1980's, the Bakerloo Line 38's were more of a bright red with white roundels halfway down the car bodies.

The only full profile images I can find are of scale models, e.g.: http://www.southernelectric.org.uk/m...8_lt007a_l.jpg
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #4749
dingsongdead

yeah theyre the only profile images i can find also. ill give that search a go too, thanks very much.

we did manage to find a diagram of what we think could be the correct train but the windows are very different. is there anyway i can send you an email of said image so you can say yes or no as to whether its the correct one or not?

if you PM me your email i'll send it when i get back from work this evening
dingsongdead no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #4750
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Wembley stadium and arena arrangements

Hi Tubeman

What if any kind of special arrangements if are made to get the hoards away by train from Wembley stadium and arena by when games and concerts end?

James
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #4751
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I've been meaning to congratulate the integrity of this thread since yesterday evening ... congratulations Britishness and to you, tubeman

trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 07:08 AM   #4752
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemcbuller View Post
Hi Tubeman

What if any kind of special arrangements if are made to get the hoards away by train from Wembley stadium and arena by when games and concerts end?

James
Nothing too spectacular... Just a couple of spare trains / drivers available on the Met and Jub lines in Neasden depot to run as required.

As with any big event, trains are generally held by platform staff until full to maximise capacity usage... so the timetable suffers a bit during event mode.
Old November 19th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #4753
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Re: Acemcbuller:

Somewhere I've read that there is a function on the oyster system where barriers can be left open for huge masses of travelers exiting a station, for example to see a sports event with loads of spectators.

The problem is AFAIK that every traveler has to enter that station (or perhaps any station in a limited area) again in the next couple of days to avoid getting a maximum fare penality charge. It probably works good for the crowds visiting a huge event but not good for those who live in the area and only travel by tube/rail once in a while (for example if they commute by bike e.t.c.).

I think I read it on this site, however I can't find the exapt text now:
http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/
It might have been on anoter blog (if so probably London Reconnections, Ian Visits or Diamond Geezer)
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #4754
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
Re: Acemcbuller:

Somewhere I've read that there is a function on the oyster system where barriers can be left open for huge masses of travelers exiting a station, for example to see a sports event with loads of spectators.

The problem is AFAIK that every traveler has to enter that station (or perhaps any station in a limited area) again in the next couple of days to avoid getting a maximum fare penality charge. It probably works good for the crowds visiting a huge event but not good for those who live in the area and only travel by tube/rail once in a while (for example if they commute by bike e.t.c.).

I think I read it on this site, however I can't find the exapt text now:
http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/
It might have been on anoter blog (if so probably London Reconnections, Ian Visits or Diamond Geezer)
Can't see how that works to be honest... They open some gates (or usually just the WAG - Wide Aisle gate) and filter paper ticket holders through them, and direct Oyster holders to touch out normally.

It's impossible to prevent an unresolved journey otherwise.

I've passed through Wembley Park as a customer for cup final and regularly through Highbury & Islington for Arsenal matches, and always have to touch out.
Old November 19th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #4755
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

AFAIK it works like this:
When a station has had all gates open for exit, the oyster readers for entry is programmed to work like a combination of entry reader and something like a "route validator" reader. When someone enters such station close enough to the time the exit gates were open, the entry reader will automatically resolve an unresolved / "maximum fare" journey before starting a new journey, if that unresolved journey could reasonably had been to the station where the gates were open.

This is just from my memory of what I've read earlier, I may remember incorrectly.
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #4756
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
AFAIK it works like this:
When a station has had all gates open for exit, the oyster readers for entry is programmed to work like a combination of entry reader and something like a "route validator" reader. When someone enters such station close enough to the time the exit gates were open, the entry reader will automatically resolve an unresolved / "maximum fare" journey before starting a new journey, if that unresolved journey could reasonably had been to the station where the gates were open.

This is just from my memory of what I've read earlier, I may remember incorrectly.
Oh I see, so when you touch back in, it's taken to also be your touch out prior to that... That makes sense then

Well I can't say I've ever witnessed it first hand... When I was a stations manager, none of my stations were ever really affected by events... maybe just Marylebone a bit for a Wembley event, and Warwick Avenue for Lord's (again, a bit).
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:52 AM   #4757
lancelot000

What altitute above or below sea level are the highest and lowest parts of the track and what is the maximum incline the train can climb
lancelot000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:12 AM   #4758
Tubeman
Jubilation

Highest altitude above sea level = Metropolitan Line at Amersham = 147m (as the LU / NR boundary is some way west of Amersham, the actual highest point is about 150m)

Lowest depth below sea level = Jubilee Line = 32m... Not sure exactly where, I'm guessing Waterloo as it passes below the Bakerloo and Northern Lines there... the westbound platform at Westminster is extremely deep, a whole flight of escalators deeper than the eastbound, so maybe here

Steepest gradient = 1/28 between Bow Road and Bromley-By-Bow

Some useful facts

Also here
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #4759
Gazza2

Likes (Received): 142

Hi Tubeman,
Something I have wondered, but why was the Victoria line built with such narrow tunnels?

Obviously the network built prior in the 19th C / Early 20th C would have been dictated by the engineering and construction methods of the time, and the population being smaller in stature back then (Hence getting away with narrow, low roofed trains)

But for a independent line being built in the 60s I thought they'd have built the whole thing at a more comfortable scale.

.....Or is it simply that the Victoria line reused existing tunnels in some portions, so rather than widening them, they just built the whole line to match the width of the segments they were 'recycling' ?
Gazza2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #4760
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

This is a myth. The average height in the 19th Century was most likely little different from today. It had far more to do with pioneering methods of tunnelling plus the commercial incentive to build the tunnels as cost-effectively as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazza2 View Post
Hi Tubeman,
Something I have wondered, but why was the Victoria line built with such narrow tunnels?

Obviously the network built prior in the 19th C / Early 20th C would have been dictated by the engineering and construction methods of the time, and the population being smaller in stature back then (Hence getting away with narrow, low roofed trains)

But for a independent line being built in the 60s I thought they'd have built the whole thing at a more comfortable scale.

.....Or is it simply that the Victoria line reused existing tunnels in some portions, so rather than widening them, they just built the whole line to match the width of the segments they were 'recycling' ?
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube