daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #4781
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
What's your take on the success or otherwise of the 'Teacup' service on the Circle Line? Is there improved reliability and are there any capacity/turnaround problems at Edgware Road?

Thanks in advance.
The service is definitely more reliable, but at the cost of being less frequent.

I assumed Edgware Road would be a disaster, but have been pleasantly surprised at how it works. I thought having a single platform for the Circles to reverse and a single platform for the Districts to reverse was asking for trouble combined with 'stepping back' (I think I explained this before, but basically to minimise dwell time of reversing trains, drivers 'step back' from the train they bring in onto the train or two trains behind to depart, so they're theoretically in position to immediately depart as soon as their train comes in, rather than there being a delay while they change ends / have a pee / make a cuppa etc).

It's labour intensive, mind, and there needs to be a constant management presence on the platforms which was not needed before just to manage crews. When it's running on time, it should run itself (drivers know which trains they're stepping back onto), but when there's disruption with trains late / out of turn, it becomes a logistical nightmare... e.g. a driver can end up behind their next train. In this instance, the manager needs to 'reform' the driverless train... change its set number into a number of train they do have a crew for. This means temporarily there are two trains with the same number, which can be confusing, so the manager needs to keep tabs on their reformations to eliminate duplicates.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #4782
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Interesting. Like you I was wondering if it would really work in reality. I guess overall the benefits have out weighed the costs.

Thanks!
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #4783
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1782

Tubeman, I notice the London Overground trains accelerate and decelerate rather 'modestly' - are the trains already operating at their maximum performance yet or are there upgrade plans? Thanks!
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #4784
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
Tubeman, I notice the London Overground trains accelerate and decelerate rather 'modestly' - are the trains already operating at their maximum performance yet or are there upgrade plans? Thanks!
I'd noticed that too... and I honestly can't answer whether this will improve. It certainly feels pedestrian compared to riding an LU line like the Central. I ride it from Surrey Quays to / from Highbury & Islington on match days and find myself egging the train to get a move on.

Might be partly perception: the track is brand new and so extremely smooth, and also don't forget some of the stations are very closely spaced, not allowing much chance to get up a decent speed.
Old December 15th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #4785
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1782

The way trains enter and leave station definitely feels pedestrian compared to upgraded LU lines. The new section of the Jubilee also feels pretty smooth yet the quick acceleration and deceleration are very noticeable.

On a related note, I hear the Northern Line 95-stock trains are governed due to old transformers and power supply cables. Though the 95 and 96-stock trains are different, will there ever be a day when a 95-stock train flies away like a 96? Cheers!
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #4786
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
'Teacup' service on the Circle Line
The first time I encountered a trailing circle line was Vancouver's panhandle, then the Montreal area's proposal for a bogey, yet the teacup's the best Anyhow, here's my own circles:

Last edited by trainrover; December 30th, 2011 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Completed Chapter 2 now fully free of typos
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #4787
Dobbo

Likes (Received): 270

Tubey,

Thoughts on the latest strike action?

(that you are able to iterate on a public forum!)
Dobbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #4788
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
obviously you don't want a train passing under a floodgate as it closes.
Hmmm ... whereabouts between stations are the floodgates on the District Line, because I remember there being an unstaffed, rush-hour-only exit off of Temple's eastbound (anticlockwise) platform?
Old December 23rd, 2011, 11:59 PM   #4789
trainrover

(Chapter 2 now finished, tables also included ... I'd meant to add that Mile End station would make a comeback after missing for at least 80 years )

Last edited by trainrover; December 29th, 2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old December 24th, 2011, 02:29 AM   #4790
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Hmmm ... whereabouts between stations are the floodgates on the District Line, because I remember there being an unstaffed, rush-hour-only exit off of Temple's eastbound (anticlockwise) platform?
I can remember floodgates at South Kensington (at the tunnel mouth east of the station), and Embankment... I can't recall any others strangely, there must have been one east of these too I guess.

The big risk would naturally be the Westminster to Blackfriars section, as this was built along the original river bed. I assume South Kensington was associated with the River Westbourne, which crosses above the platforms at Sloane Square in a pipe.
Old December 24th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #4791
trainrover

Altogether interesting. I only knew of those that I passed through entering the Northern and/or(?) Bakerloon line platform entrances(?) at Embankment/Charing Cross(?). Thank you.
Old December 31st, 2011, 03:24 AM   #4792
London Underground

Likes (Received): 0

What is your least favorite stock, and why?

Edit: Happy new year!

Last edited by London Underground; December 31st, 2011 at 03:55 PM.
London Underground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 05:08 PM   #4793
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Underground View Post
What is your least favorite stock, and why?

Edit: Happy new year!
Hmmm tricky one... I think the former Jubilee Line 1983 stock was a low point... bland design with flaws (single leaf doors, and unreliable)

Old January 1st, 2012, 11:24 PM   #4794
London Underground

So you don't like the "Junior Ds", huh. Can't blame you. From what i've heard they were rubbish.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 11:19 AM   #4795
Tubeman
Jubilation

I think a lot of the problems arose from miniaturising the D Stock to Tube dimensions... the stocks were supposed to have as many interchangeable components as possible for ease of / cost effective maintenance... hence the bogeys were the same which is why D stocks have Tube-size wheels and bogeys (noticeably much smaller than A or C Stocks, for example).

Although equally spartan in design, I have a soft spot for D Stocks as I grew up with them passing my house and went on to drive them:

[IMG]http://i43.************/zstjyt.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM   #4796
London Underground

Wow. I never noticed that they used the same bogeys. But, if they were supposed to use so many interchangeable parts, how come the 83ts were so unreliable and not the Ds?
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:05 PM   #4797
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Underground View Post
Wow. I never noticed that they used the same bogeys. But, if they were supposed to use so many interchangeable parts, how come the 83ts were so unreliable and not the Ds?
I guess the compromises of trying to squeeze the same components into a much smaller space... sorry I can't be any more technical!
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM   #4798
London Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
I guess the compromises of trying to squeeze the same components into a much smaller space... sorry I can't be any more technical!
Don't be sorry, i think i understand.
Old January 7th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #4799
trainrover

Isn't making a sandite unit into eight cars overkill?

Quote:
Quote:
5'23": Odd, TfL having taken great pain to switch an eight-car Cravens 1962 sandite train to their corporate livery
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #4800
London Underground

Just my guess, but i think they have the same "problem" as here in Stockholm: gaps in the third rail to long for 3,4,5 car units.

Tags
london, railways, tube