daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 13th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #4821
London Underground

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArkady View Post
As well as the loss of an amenity (which really is gorgeous, I'd recommend the walk) it is precisely the new transport link that upsets some people. the Muswell Hill elite fear that rail access would swamp them with chavs.
If i were one of them i'd personally be happy if an Underground station opened closer to where i live. Heck, i live right between two subway stations for real so i know what it's like.

Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #4822
RedArkady
Viewseeker

Likes (Received): 37

Ditto, but there you go. It’s the same all along the line. I was at a meeting last night co-ordinating activity between nascent Crouch Hill and Stroud Green Neighbourhood Forums. The Parkland Walk heads through both territories. Someone was complaining about people encroaching on it with their garden fences. I quipped that they should just rebuild the railway and that would discourage people – stony faces all around. So what can you do.

Were there campaigns against the ELL extensions? Sometimes when I’m riding between Dalston and Shoreditch, peering into the converted warehouses, I wonder what the inhabitants of them thought when their view of the linear urban wildflower meadow was rudely interrupted by regular white and orange trains.
RedArkady no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #4823
London Underground

Quote:
Ditto, but there you go. It’s the same all along the line. I was at a meeting last night co-ordinating activity between nascent Crouch Hill and Stroud Green Neighbourhood Forums. The Parkland Walk heads through both territories. Someone was complaining about people encroaching on it with their garden fences. I quipped that they should just rebuild the railway and that would discourage people – stony faces all around. So what can you do.
Well i'll be... Oh well, like you said: what can you do? If they don't want it, they don't want it.
Old January 14th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #4824
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Underground View Post
Heck, i live right between two subway stations for real so i know what it's like.
So by your statement, are we to understand that Stockholm's policy that no resident throughout the urban area there is to live more than a ten-minute walk from a subway stop is actually baloney?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #4825
London Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
So by your statement, are we to understand that Stockholm's policy that no resident throughout the urban area there is to live more than a ten-minute walk from a subway stop is actually baloney?
I don't exactly understand what you mean, but what i meant is that i know what it's like having to walk for 15-20 minutes to get to the subway, while i live practically on top of a subway depot. And becouse the stops are so frequent here, what harm could it do to re-open a now closed line(like i proposed about Mill Hill East-Edgware) and adding an extra stop in the middle?
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #4826
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Quote:
Tubeman, I don’t suppose you have the OS map for the rest of the station, i.e. due south of there?

Do you know when they will start laying the track in the St Pancras- Finsbury park Thameslink tunnel? I know it has to be ready by 2018 for passengers, but I understand it may be needed earlier for access to the new Hornsey depot.
http://www.old-maps.co.uk

It's a bit slow to load maps (I guess the amount of data on their server must be ridiculous), but persevere. This website has been irreplaceable for my book research.

Again from 1954... this is the crazy mass of goods yards that existed south of Finsbury Park... I can't get any more in a single screen grab I'm afraid, but go to the site and you can navigate around

[IMG]http://i42.************/eitu1v.jpg[/IMG]
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #4827
Tubeman
Jubilation

Sorry in answer to your question re: St Pancras - ECML tunnel, I don't know

I think the Hornsey depot might have been shelved in favour of another location... or am I imagining that?
Old January 14th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4828
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:

Were there campaigns against the ELL extensions? Sometimes when I’m riding between Dalston and Shoreditch, peering into the converted warehouses, I wonder what the inhabitants of them thought when their view of the linear urban wildflower meadow was rudely interrupted by regular white and orange trains.
I just don't get the mentality... if you're a homeowner, unless you are nowhere near a new station but so close to the 'new' line you're blighted by noise, you stand to gain massively from property price increase... not to mention the convenience of getting around more easily.

I guess if you rent and have no intention of using the new line, you may have reasonable right to complain as your rents would no doubt shoot up.

Depends on the area I suppose... Hoxton / Haggerston / Dalston were crying out for regeneration whereas Muswell Hill and Crouch End have already 'arrived' with part of their 'charm' being their poor transport links (I know... backwards). But hey in the Victoria era locals opposed new railways as they recognised they brought development and industrialisation, shattering rural idylls... and people have been complaining ever since.
Old January 14th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #4829
RedArkady
Viewseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
http://www.old-maps.co.uk

Again from 1954... this is the crazy mass of goods yards that existed south of Finsbury Park...
Or 'The Emirates' as we call it now!
Old January 14th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #4830
RedArkady
Viewseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Sorry in answer to your question re: St Pancras - ECML tunnel, I don't know

I think the Hornsey depot might have been shelved in favour of another location... or am I imagining that?
I think it was downsized but agreed to. There was a discussion on London Reconnections when they looked at the latest RUS.
Old January 14th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4831
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Underground View Post
I don't exactly understand what you mean
Baloney=BS. My local English-language newspaper's mentioned, on more than one occasion over the decades, there being a Stockholm-area enacted policy stipulating no resident live more than a ten-minute walk from her/his home to the nearest station.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #4832
London Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Baloney=BS. My local English-language newspaper's mentioned, on more than one occasion over the decades, there being a Stockholm-area enacted policy stipulating no resident live more than a ten-minute walk from her/his home to the nearest station.
I do understand what you meant by baloney, but not the rest. But i can tell you that that policy, if it exists, is highly inaccurate. There are several places where, if you stand inbetween stations, there's a 20min. walk to both. I have heard about it though, but i know it wasn't/isn't true.
Old January 31st, 2012, 05:00 PM   #4833
dösanhoro

Likes (Received): 53

The trains are running. Is this type of working common? I have no idea nor opinion , but it sure does look dangerous.
dösanhoro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 10:16 PM   #4834
Tubeman
Jubilation

That looks insane... wouldn't be allowed here, that's for sure

Work takes place on operational track, but only with lookouts and an easily accessible 'place of safety'... clambering back up onto a platform doesn't qualify!
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:53 PM   #4835
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Hi Tubeman

Any thoughts or data on how many door problem incidents on the Victoria Line are genuinely the result of passengers getting things trapped in the doors and how many are spurious or due to over-sensitivity or whatever the problem is, because there's clearly still is one!
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4836
London Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by dösanhoro View Post

The trains are running. Is this type of working common? I have no idea nor opinion , but it sure does look dangerous.
Here in Stockholm they change the advertisment on the stations when the trains are running. And those ads are on the other side of the tracks from the platform. They had a guard who, i assume, had a radio so he heard when the train left the previous station and gave the crew a whistle to get of the track.

Atleast they used to do that before, im not so sure they do it anymore.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 10:12 PM   #4837
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemcbuller View Post
Hi Tubeman

Any thoughts or data on how many door problem incidents on the Victoria Line are genuinely the result of passengers getting things trapped in the doors and how many are spurious or due to over-sensitivity or whatever the problem is, because there's clearly still is one!
I don't know enough to comment really... suffice to say it's way better than when the 2009 stock was first introduced
Old February 2nd, 2012, 11:45 PM   #4838
London Underground

You wouldn't happen to know how many ends of the Aldwych unit are painted red, one or both?
The only info i've found on that is that "the inner end was painted red". That was all i found about this.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:49 PM   #4839
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2047

Possibly outside of your comfort zone on this one Tubey:

THE rush hour train into Portsmouth from the western suburbs, - i.e. mine that gets into the city at roughly 8.45 - is formed of a 3 car diesel unit. This train runs on an entirely electrified route and for the rest of the day is formed by a 4 car EMU. Due to the time it gets into Portsmouth, it is easilly the busiest of the day (causes a right queue at the ticket barriers...).

What is the thinking behind substituting an electric train with more seats and room for three bikes with a diesel train with less seats and room for no bikes? On the busiest train of the day no less?
ill tonkso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #4840
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
Possibly outside of your comfort zone on this one Tubey:

THE rush hour train into Portsmouth from the western suburbs, - i.e. mine that gets into the city at roughly 8.45 - is formed of a 3 car diesel unit. This train runs on an entirely electrified route and for the rest of the day is formed by a 4 car EMU. Due to the time it gets into Portsmouth, it is easilly the busiest of the day (causes a right queue at the ticket barriers...).

What is the thinking behind substituting an electric train with more seats and room for three bikes with a diesel train with less seats and room for no bikes? On the busiest train of the day no less?
Possibly the service it becomes when it departs (i.e. the next trip runs over unelectrified)?

Have a look next time to see where that unit is going to next (should be on the departures)

Of course it may be rolling stock shortage, but you'd have thought they'd chose a less busy service.

Tags
london, railways, tube