daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #4841
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Underground View Post
You wouldn't happen to know how many ends of the Aldwych unit are painted red, one or both?
The only info i've found on that is that "the inner end was painted red". That was all i found about this.
I'm guessing just the one, so there's a red end and an aluminium end... The poster for the film 'Creep' is definitely unpainted, and as it's a single unit, it only has two cabs.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #4842
London Underground

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
I'm guessing just the one, so there's a red end and an aluminium end... The poster for the film 'Creep' is definitely unpainted, and as it's a single unit, it only has two cabs.
Thanks mate. That's been driving me nuts.
Old February 4th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #4843
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2055

Quote:
Possibly the service it becomes when it departs (i.e. the next trip runs over unelectrified)?

Have a look next time to see where that unit is going to next (should be on the departures)

Of course it may be rolling stock shortage, but you'd have thought they'd chose a less busy service.
SWT don't run any unelectrified services out of Portsmouth, the only non-electric service is the Cardiff Central train. That's Last Great Western. It could be a rolling stock shortage I suppose, though as you say it seems odd to choose such a busy service (it really is packed). Unfortunately I can't check its next destination as I get off at Portsmouth Southsea not Portsmouth Harbour where it terminates. It has been bugging me for years.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #4844
London Underground

I just remembered something. My mom has visited London a couple of times and she has told me that Bayswater and Queensway stations are located on the others namesake(Bayswater on Queensway and the other way around). Why is that?
Old February 5th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #4845
sotonsi

Quote:
I just remembered something. My mom has visited London a couple of times and she has told me that Bayswater and Queensway stations are located on the others namesake(Bayswater on Queensway and the other way around). Why is that?
Bayswater is an area, and the Central line runs under Bayswater Road between Marble Arch and just east of Notting Hill Gate. Bayswater station is named after the area, not the road through the area. Queensway station is named after the road that ends on Bayswater road as the station, as 1)Bayswater is taken and 2)Lancaster Gate station could be called Bayswater as well.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #4846
London Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Bayswater is an area, and the Central line runs under Bayswater Road between Marble Arch and just east of Notting Hill Gate. Bayswater station is named after the area, not the road through the area. Queensway station is named after the road that ends on Bayswater road as the station, as 1)Bayswater is taken and 2)Lancaster Gate station could be called Bayswater as well.
Huh. I thought the names were switched between them. Thanks mate.

Last edited by London Underground; February 5th, 2012 at 12:43 PM.
London Underground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #4847
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
SWT don't run any unelectrified services out of Portsmouth, the only non-electric service is the Cardiff Central train. That's Last Great Western. It could be a rolling stock shortage I suppose, though as you say it seems odd to choose such a busy service (it really is packed). Unfortunately I can't check its next destination as I get off at Portsmouth Southsea not Portsmouth Harbour where it terminates. It has been bugging me for years.
If there are detailed timetables available for Portsmouth Harbour you might be able to do a qualified guess by checking how many electric and diesel services arrive and depart around the time "your" train arrives.

Another way would be to look at the timetables for the station the train originates from.
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #4848
London Underground

Just yesterday i recived a copy of "London Underground rolling stock in colour for the modeller and histiorian" and i saw a photo of something i've never seen before: a 1962ts DM with half its front painted red "like the D78", as it says in the book.

I was a bit surprised to see that and i started wondering: How many cars had this?
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4849
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Just yesterday i recived a copy of "London Underground rolling stock in colour for the modeller and histiorian" and i saw a photo of something i've never seen before: a 1962ts DM with half its front painted red "like the D78", as it says in the book.

I was a bit surprised to see that and i started wondering: How many cars had this?
Just one train / 2 units if I remember correctly... there were a few experimental variations of the corporate colours tried out on the Northern Line, so there were 59's, 62's and 72's with various combinations of red, white & blue, as well as the lovely 'vintage' livery 59 which sadly ended up having to be split into its respective units and coupled to unpainted units as when coupled together, the vintage units were defect prone.

When I was a Northern Line driver, technically I could get any one of four different stocks (56, 59, 62 & 72MkI), although there were only subtle differences between the first three.
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #4850
London Underground

Quote:
Just one train / 2 units if I remember correctly... there were a few experimental variations of the corporate colours tried out on the Northern Line, so there were 59's, 62's and 72's with various combinations of red, white & blue, as well as the lovely 'vintage' livery 59 which sadly ended up having to be split into its respective units and coupled to unpainted units as when coupled together, the vintage units were defect prone.
Thanks mate. I never stop learning, that's for sure. I knew about the corporate colours test liveries on the ELL, Met and Picc, was it? But i never knew about the Northern line.

Ah yes, the retro train... A beautiful livery applied to a great looking train. Sorry to hear they split it up, both in service and afterwards...

Quote:
When I was a Northern Line driver, technically I could get any one of four different stocks (56, 59, 62 & 72MkI), although there were only subtle differences between the first three.
Really? All four at one time? I know the 72MkIs did roll on the Northern for a while, though i can't remember how long, but i thought it was only those and the 62ts at one time.
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #4851
Tubeman
Jubilation

Yes, the 1956 were the prototype for the Piccadilly Line... I think just three trains... which were then followed by the main production run of 1959 stock. These were displaced off the Picc by the 1973 stock and ended up on the Northern Line, but as there were not enough 56+59 for the Northern Line, the rest of the fleet were made up by 1938. It was these 38's which the 1972 MkIs were ordered to replace... which were joined much later by a stream of 1962 stock displaced off the Central Line by 1992 stock.

So when I rocked up there in 1997, there was a mixture of four different stocks. When the 1995's started to roll out in 1999(?) the 72MkI were withdrawn first... As my transfer to the District was imminent, they never bothered training me for 1995 stock, much to my delight if I was given a job when 'spare' and a '95 rolled into the platform "sorry guv, can't drive it!"... otherwise I could claim to have driven five different stocks on the same line in the space of just 18 months.
Old February 10th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #4852
London Underground

Quote:
Yes, the 1956 were the prototype for the Piccadilly Line... I think just three trains... which were then followed by the main production run of 1959 stock. These were displaced off the Picc by the 1973 stock and ended up on the Northern Line, but as there were not enough 56+59 for the Northern Line, the rest of the fleet were made up by 1938. It was these 38's which the 1972 MkIs were ordered to replace... which were joined much later by a stream of 1962 stock displaced off the Central Line by 1992 stock.
Is there any reason for LT/TfL making things so difficult?

Quote:
So when I rocked up there in 1997, there was a mixture of four different stocks. When the 1995's started to roll out in 1999(?) the 72MkI were withdrawn first... As my transfer to the District was imminent, they never bothered training me for 1995 stock, much to my delight if I was given a job when 'spare' and a '95 rolled into the platform "sorry guv, can't drive it!"... otherwise I could claim to have driven five different stocks on the same line in the space of just 18 months.
lol.

Four different stocks in 18 months is still pretty impressive. But five? Wow.
Old February 10th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #4853
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Is there any reason for LT/TfL making things so difficult?
Strapped for cash, there was a crazy merry-go-round of various tube stocks between the 1970's and 1990's, a nightmare from a maintenance and training point of view.

So for example, the 73 stock order for the Picc cascaded the 59's to the Northern, with the shortfall made up with the new 72mkI, which were cheaply knocked out as manual, crew-operated, versions of the Vic's 67's. The Jubilee required a new order for its 1979 opening, so the 72MkIIs were trotted out. These were then displaced off the Jubilee by the 83 stock, allowing the 72MkII fleet to cascade to the Bakerloo and finally retire the 38's in the mid-80's... and of course the 83's were relatively very short-lived, being replaced by the 96's.
Old February 10th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #4854
London Underground

Quote:
Strapped for cash, there was a crazy merry-go-round of various tube stocks between the 1970's and 1990's, a nightmare from a maintenance and training point of view.

So for example, the 73 stock order for the Picc cascaded the 59's to the Northern, with the shortfall made up with the new 72mkI, which were cheaply knocked out as manual, crew-operated, versions of the Vic's 67's. The Jubilee required a new order for its 1979 opening, so the 72MkIIs were trotted out. These were then displaced off the Jubilee by the 83 stock, allowing the 72MkII fleet to cascade to the Bakerloo and finally retire the 38's in the mid-80's... and of course the 83's were relatively very short-lived, being replaced by the 96's.
Sounds allmost like what's going on here.
Old March 7th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #4855
lemmo

Likes (Received): 60

Hi Tubeman, when are you planning to publish a Third edition of your Atlas?
lemmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #4856
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmo View Post
Hi Tubeman, when are you planning to publish a Third edition of your Atlas?
Certainly am... I'm working on it right now all hours because my deadline is in 3 weeks... I've had a timely 2 week lay-off due to an appendectomy so hopefully I'm on target. It'll be published during the summer, I've expanded the coverage geographically and re-drawn the entire atlas with better accuracy, plus have converted all dates from simple YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY
Old March 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #4857
Damarr

Cool, looking forward to it. Will it have the full ELL extension (including the new section of track from Surrey Quays)?
Damarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #4858
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
plus have converted all dates from simple YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY
Please put in some kind of note that shows what format you use where there is room for ambigouity.

For me who lives and is grown up i a country (Sweden) where dates is and has always been written as YYYY-MM-DD or even YYYYMMDD without slashes/dashes the other formats are confusing, especially as there seems to be a format where the date is between month and year...

(Since Sweden entered the EU in the 90's this has actually been a minor problem regaring "best before" dates on groceries, although I don't know of any case of food poisining related to date format confusion. However I wounder how much food gets thrown away just to be on the safe side, for example something thats best before april the 3:rd of may get thrown away in the middle of march because the date might be interpreted as mars the 4:th)
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4859
cslusarc

I thnk the best system of dates is DD/MMM/YYYY where MMM is three letters like JAN, FEB, MAR, APR, MAY, JUN, JUL, AUG, SEP, OCT, NOV or DEC.
cslusarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #4860
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damarr View Post
Cool, looking forward to it. Will it have the full ELL extension (including the new section of track from Surrey Quays)?
Yes, and Crossrail 1, the Croxley Link, and Thameslink works e.g. Bermondsey diveunder

Tags
london, railways, tube