daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #4861
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
Please put in some kind of note that shows what format you use where there is room for ambigouity.

For me who lives and is grown up i a country (Sweden) where dates is and has always been written as YYYY-MM-DD or even YYYYMMDD without slashes/dashes the other formats are confusing, especially as there seems to be a format where the date is between month and year...

(Since Sweden entered the EU in the 90's this has actually been a minor problem regaring "best before" dates on groceries, although I don't know of any case of food poisining related to date format confusion. However I wounder how much food gets thrown away just to be on the safe side, for example something thats best before april the 3:rd of may get thrown away in the middle of march because the date might be interpreted as mars the 4:th)
Yes, I'll certainly explain... I'd always assumed the vast majority of London Railway Atlas buyers would be British, for whom DD/MM/YYYY is the usual format... but I guess there will be some people from further afield interested
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #4862
lightrail

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Yes, I'll certainly explain... I'd always assumed the vast majority of London Railway Atlas buyers would be British, for whom DD/MM/YYYY is the usual format... but I guess there will be some people from further afield interested
And then there is the horrible American system of MM/DD/YY (which is the default in any Microsoft program).

I live in Canada where we're supposed to use the metric approach and yet many business use the American system, so when I see dates like this 01/04/12 - I never know if that is April 1, 2012 or January 4, 2012?
lightrail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #4863
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Thanks!

(DD/MMM/YYYY that cslusarc mentioned is unambiguous, if you should choose that format you don't need to explain anything )

I assume there are quite a few people from other countries that buys books in english even though it's not their native language because they have sort of "ran out" of interesting books to buy in their native language, possible because there isn't enough to write about related to their country. For example in Sweden there is only one underground system and that system has three lines with about four junctions used for regular passenger trains (and a few more junctions for depot access and to terminate trains early). When you already know the track configurations in your head you start to look for stuff about other countries, and then english is the common denominator.
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #4864
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
I live in Aus and I've got a copy. There are plenty of expats such as myself who still have more than a passing interest in the 'mother country'.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #4865
Tubeman
Jubilation

Well as my deadline is in 2 weeks, any change to date format will have to be for the Fourth edition!
Old March 19th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #4866
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

cslusarc's date formatting suggestion trumps ... I can never remember which order English and French Canadians differ when it comes to date, month and year placements in the entirely six-digit date format Altogether such a pain in the rear end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acemcbuller View Post
many door problem incidents
The highest share of blame for this nuisance goes to careless passengers tossing aside their free dailies ... dispensing these anywhere in the networks ought to be prohibited entirely ... besides, their reporting's crap, sheer BS; the rate of dullards going for them still astonishes me...
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:38 AM   #4867
London Underground

Likes (Received): 0

Hi Joe. One thing i've thought about for a while and have not been able to find an explanation for is: what does "widened lines" mean and which lines are they?

AFAIK there's surface/sub-surface and tube lines, and i know what they are.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 12:54 AM   #4868
sotonsi

The widened lines are the lines that are now/were Thameslink between Moorgate and St Pancras.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:42 PM   #4869
London Underground

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
The widened lines are the lines that are now/were Thameslink between Moorgate and St Pancras.
Wow, really? I thought they were Underground lines. Thanks mate.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:24 AM   #4870
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Initially they were, is what's written on wyky.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #4871
horlick97

Likes (Received): 26

Is there a standard for the floor height of the trains from the top of rail? I have come across various numbers like 915mm in UK, 840mm but reducing to 760mm in Holland, etc.

What's the standard? I suppose one of the consideration if the implication on the size of wheel you can use in the design of the trains.

Thank you.
horlick97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #4872
MiaM

There are several standard heights of the platform relative to the top of the rails, even different standards in the same country...
Old March 25th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #4873
sotonsi

There's different standards on the underground. Various outer stations have 'compromise height' platforms - step down into tube stocks, step up into NR/SSL stocks.
Old March 25th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4874
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
The 'Widened' simply being reference to the fact that the Metropolitan Railway widened the route from two tracks to four... confusingly, the original lines were wider... or at least the tunnels are, as they originally accommodated 7 foot GWR Broad gauge.
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:24 AM   #4875
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

tubeman
I donīt know about the London subway...
I would like to know what gauge is used. How many cars does a train have? How long (length) are the trains? Do every lines have third rail?
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #4876
Tubeman
Jubilation

Standard gauge (4 feet 8.5 inches or 1,435mm)

Train lengths are 6, 7 or 8 cars depending on the line, consequently overall lengths vary, up to 133m for the 2009 stock

The entire system uses 4th (not 3rd) rail 630V DC
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #4877
1LONDONER

Likes (Received): 55

Hi Tubeman

I was watching 'The Tube' documentary last night and saw the part where they were interviewing the station supervisor (I think), who had to stand guard at the station all night.

I was just intrested to know what the staffing requirements are on the tube (day and night)?

ie deeplevel station + sub surface must be manned by X amount of staff during operating hours etc, and does the same apply to the surface level stations like those on say the District Line on the outer edges of the line?

Also do all tube stations have to be manned at night or just specific ones, or for specific dates?

Thanks
1LONDONER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #4878
sotonsi

Quote:
Train lengths are 6, 7 or 8 cars depending on the line, consequently overall lengths vary, up to 133m for the 2009 stock
Don't forget the 4(?) car trains on the W&C (the 4-car A-stock on the Chesham shuttle and East London Line have gone now though).

Car lengths themselves vary between stocks, as does the size of each car (height and width). Tube lines have smaller-profiled trains than the District, Met, H&C and Circle lines. If it's a year (eg 2009), then it's a tube line train, if it's a letter (A-, C-, D-, S-) then it's 'sub-surface'. A-stock, being phased out, are the widest trains in the country.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:53 AM   #4879
MiaM

Quote:
Don't forget the 4(?) car trains on the W&C (the 4-car A-stock on the Chesham shuttle and East London Line have gone now though).

Car lengths themselves vary between stocks, as does the size of each car (height and width). Tube lines have smaller-profiled trains than the District, Met, H&C and Circle lines. If it's a year (eg 2009), then it's a tube line train, if it's a letter (A-, C-, D-, S-) then it's 'sub-surface'. A-stock, being phased out, are the widest trains in the country.
Is A-stock really wider than Eurostar or DB's ICE trains (that they atleast want to run to St. Pancras international)?
Old March 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #4880
sotonsi

No on the ICE trains, or the new Velaro e320 (AFAICS) - neither of which are in regular passenger service in the UK yet (or before they replace A stock with S stock), but yes on Eurostars (Class 373) - they are 2.81m wide, A stock is 2.9m wide.

Eurostars, if you remember, had to run on the 'classic' network between the tunnel (then Ashford, then near Gravesend) and Waterloo, so couldn't be European-sized.

Tags
london, railways, tube