daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #4881
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LONDONER View Post
Hi Tubeman

I was watching 'The Tube' documentary last night and saw the part where they were interviewing the station supervisor (I think), who had to stand guard at the station all night.

I was just intrested to know what the staffing requirements are on the tube (day and night)?

ie deeplevel station + sub surface must be manned by X amount of staff during operating hours etc, and does the same apply to the surface level stations like those on say the District Line on the outer edges of the line?

Also do all tube stations have to be manned at night or just specific ones, or for specific dates?

Thanks
All stations have a CCEP (Congestion Control & Emergency Plan), and the CCEP for all 'Section 12' stations (basically underground stations) stipulates minimum staffing levels for evacuation... otherwise the station closes.

Small stations like Regent's Park are 1 Supervisor + 1 other all day, a slightly larger station like Marylebone is 1 + 2, rising to 1 + 3 during peak times... at the other extreme larger stations like King's Cross St Pancras or Oxford Circus could be 2 Supervisors + 15 or more staff in the peaks minimum with rostered levels far above this.

Surface stations like east end District Line will have rostered staff cover 24 hours per day, usually a SSMF (Station Supervisor Multifunctional) who will do everything (ticket office, gateline, and any supervisor duties), often with a part-time CSA on the gateline during the morning peak. The big difference is that not being subsurface ('section 12'), they have no minimum numbers and can be left unstaffed without closing. The gist of it is (I believe) that local management cannot leave a station uncovered in advance, but if it happens at short notice due to sickness, lateness, etc then the station remains open unstaffed.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #4882
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Don't forget the 4(?) car trains on the W&C (the 4-car A-stock on the Chesham shuttle and East London Line have gone now though).
Oh yes forgot about the W&C Line... yes 4 cars

The Chesham shuttle has gone, replaced by through trains all day at the last timetable change, in anticipation of S8 stock (which cannot be split into shorter trains).

Another short formation was the Aldwych shuttle, 3 cars of 1973 stock, and equally the D78 stock's brief stint on the east London Line, also 3 cars... for this reason both the D78 and 1973 have a certain proportion (about a third) of 'Double end units'; 3 car units with a functioning cab at each end (the rest of the units only have a drivers cab at one end).
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #4883
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

tubeman
why does the roof of the trains have a circular shape?
does every train have this circular shape?
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 04:52 AM   #4884
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

This is why.

iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:32 AM   #4885
DeepThought

Likes (Received): 3

Hi Tubeman,
Sorry if this has been asked before (I couldn't see it in the list of questions in the first post), but do you know how the SSLs get past the Euston Underpass? Euston Square station seems to be directly below the road, at about the level the Underpass gets down to. Does the tube do a dog-leg round or is it lower than I think it is?
DeepThought no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:31 AM   #4886
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepThought View Post
Hi Tubeman,
Sorry if this has been asked before (I couldn't see it in the list of questions in the first post), but do you know how the SSLs get past the Euston Underpass? Euston Square station seems to be directly below the road, at about the level the Underpass gets down to. Does the tube do a dog-leg round or is it lower than I think it is?
The railway is parallel to, and immediately south of, the underpass... so as cars drive through the underpass, they're actually running alongside trains just the other side of the retaining wall. I guess it would have been cool to expose the railway so you could see the passing trains from within the underpass, but that obviously would have been a distraction to drivers of both cars and trains so not a great idea!
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:36 AM   #4887
Tubeman
Jubilation

Crude pink line is the railway route... Bear in mind the Euston Road is hugely widened at this point, the original southern frontage remains, which gives an idea of the original road (and therefore railway) route... the road was widened to the north by demolishing the original northern frontage, allowing room for the underpass and current eastbound carriageways.

[IMG]http://i44.************/ftecna.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 1st, 2012, 05:46 PM   #4888
Highcliff
Fake democracy

tubeman
Are there any London stations placed in the axle of the avenue as the mexico subway?
do you think this is a intelligent solution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeñorGuillermo View Post
Fotos del Metro de Mexico Distrito Federal.

Linea 2

*Fuentes
Google, esmas.com, SSC, metro.df.gob.mx
Y mias.
Old April 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM   #4889
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

I don't know of anywhere. They do that in Perth, AU, too. Makes a lot of sense.
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM   #4890
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
The railway is parallel to, and immediately south of, the underpass... so as cars drive through the underpass, they're actually running alongside trains just the other side of the retaining wall. I guess it would have been cool to expose the railway so you could see the passing trains from within the underpass, but that obviously would have been a distraction to drivers of both cars and trains so not a great idea!
It would probably also not be a good idea to have more road wehicle exhausts dragged into the railway tunnel.

Perhaps glass windows and vertical "window blinds" so it's air sealed and so that drivers don't see through when looking forward but passengers see through when looking siteways?

Re Highcliff's question:
Not an answer to your actual question but there are a lot of tramways configured this way in eastern Europe (ex. communist bloc). Examples include line 4/6, 1 and 47/49 in Budapest, Mollstraße/Otto Braun Straße and many other places in Berlin e.t.c.
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM   #4891
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
I don't know of anywhere. They do that in Perth, AU, too. Makes a lot of sense.
They not ideal. People build them because it is easier, but how many walkable destinations do you find near motorways. These routes are not so bad for commuter rail but they are reliant on park and ride and bus connections. Urban metro systems are more effective when relying on walk up trade.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:06 PM   #4892
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

Fair point. In Perth, it's a lot less tube like and so it made sense in that environment. The stations had large interchanges spanning the road. I did think it was silly in terms of lack or real destination, but these are, as you say, for commuters rather than tourists or the casual traveller.

If we were to plan our cities from scratch, I would assume doing this would make much more financial sense.
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:08 PM   #4893
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2055

The DLR west of Gallions Reach is like that
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM   #4894
DeepThought

Likes (Received): 3

Thanks Tubeman. All seems so obvious once it's been explained to you!
DeepThought no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM   #4895
Highcliff
Fake democracy

people
thanks so much
I have a question:
what are the stations near the olympic stadium?
do you believe the olympic games may cause Barcelona effect?
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4896
sotonsi

Stratford, Stratford International and West Ham are the official stations for the Olympic stadium. Pudding Mill Lane is the closest station to the Stadium but isn't mentioned on the London 2012 site (for the obvious reason that the station doesn't have the capacity to move people to/from the games), and Hackney Wick is closer to the main stadium than Stratford International or West Ham (and the closest station to the media area) but there's no easy access to the Olympic Park from that station.

As for Barcelona effect - only in the vicinity near the park, though all the games have done has brought forward the time-scale of regeneration, rejuvenation and growth by a couple of years.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 07:57 PM   #4897
Highcliff
Fake democracy

so...
it makes me understand that DLR is very important for olympic games...
by the way...is DLR a mean of transportation to revitalize areas and districts? does it makes sense?
Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:42 AM   #4898
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2055

The DLR has done wonders for the easy end and has grown exponentially. This is evident in the trains themselves, 3 times their original length.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:47 AM   #4899
Highcliff
Fake democracy

tubeman
as I can see in this picture, the tube lines stock can ride on the subsurface lines, but the subsurface lines stock can ride the tube lines only at surface, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
London Underground

And finally, something I thought was interesting...

Difference in size between the Sub-Surface Stock and the Tube Stock, it's the Piccadilly line 1973 Stock and Metropolitan line A Stock side by side on the Uxbridge branch:

image hosted on flickr

Old April 6th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #4900
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3625

i was really really really disappointed by the london underground fares. i got a problem when i visited london 2 days ago. ok that happened at the wellesden green station, i asked a staff to give me the cheapest ticket and i did mention that i am travelling to central london, stratford olympic site and i also said that i am going to wembley stadium as well. he then gave me a one day ticket which cost me almost 10 quids as far as i remember. i took the train at wellesden green station then i got off at the wembley park station, i put my travel ticket in the machine at the gate but it didn't work then i looked at the front page of the ticket and found that it is valid only for zone 1-2, i was like wow the ticket is so expensive and i didn't realise it earlier. in the mean time 2 station staffs came to me, took my ticket and they told me to give £80 for penalty. i was alone and i was so scared at the time although i believed i didn't do anything wrong. i explained them about my journeys and everything and i refused to pay that massive amount of fine, after a few mins 2 policemen came in and took all the personal details and one of the station staffs gave me an appeal form as well. i haven't appealed yet, all i know is that i was massively disappointed by that london underground experience though and i was so angry for the fact that two cops took my details. it's expensive and some staffs are very unreliable like the one who sold me the wrong ticket although i did explain him my plans and everything.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube