daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #4901
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
tubeman
as I can see in this picture, the tube lines stock can ride on the subsurface lines, but the subsurface lines stock can ride the tube lines only at surface, right?
yes.

That picture of Rayners Lane seems quiet. Then again there could be a lot of people running across the footbridge trying to make the interchange as both trains are about to depart. Has to be one of the most dangerous stations on the tube - popular (perhaps 1/3 of traffic) interchange movements that you have to move quickly (often run) to make, or wait 7 or 8 minutes - up stairs with exiting traffic. Well worth rebuilding it as an island if you could it for under £100 million - certainly ought to be looked at and costed. Or timetable the trains so that they don't cross there, so you don't pull in and see the train you want in/pulling into the other platform and then run to get aboard it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
it's expensive and some staffs are very unreliable like the one who sold me the wrong ticket although i did explain him my plans and everything.
You were mis-sold the ticket. You'd have been stopped at Stratford as well (zone 3). You should win the appeal, but it's designed to be annoying to see it through to completion to get people to not bother and just pay the fine.

I'm highly surprised the ticket office didn't make lots of comments about how you should get an Oyster card - I had it several times in the past when trying to buy paper tickets.

Now I've got one, I can't be mis-sold a ticket, though the only time I did with LU was being given a child ticket aged 17, rather than an adult (given my pre-Oyster tube journeys started in zone-C or D, I was never going to not get enough zones), so I was quids in.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #4902
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Oh, the annoying system of complaining on errors made by TfL & co is almost a reason good enough to not choose London for any vacation in the foreseeable future...

(The other reason is that hotels are either really expensive or crap like no mixer taps and beds worse than a €10 flea market sofa)
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #4903
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Once upon a time, weren't Rayners Lane's platforms strictly eastbound/inbound and westbound/outbound? Is sotonsi saying that a Rayners Lane-bound Met train can terminate there on the 'eastbound/inbound' platform? Is changing trains dangerous there because people dashing for the opposite platform both ways simultaneously risk colliding into one another on the footbridge?

Last edited by trainrover; April 7th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #4904
sotonsi

The platforms are still strictly east-/south- and west-/north- (ie Uxbridge-) bound. Also Met trains don't terminate at Rayners Lane (at least not normally) - it's Piccadilly line trains.

I'm talking about West Harrow <-> South Harrow movements* and they are always one way (ie from the Uxbridge-bound platform to the other one). It's not the conflict of flows (though obviously there'd be people going the other way to the interchange-flow), but that you have dangerous dashing up and down stairs and round blind corners.

*Yes, it's surprising, but they really are popular - certainly in the teens at shoulder-peak times. Which for zone 5 in NW London beats the number of people leaving the train at many stations. It's typically around about 30-40% of people leaving each train.
Old April 10th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4905
CityCat

Likes (Received): 0

I'm new here, just joined. Enjoyed reading Tubeman's FAQ.

I have a question for Tubeman - or for that matter for anyone else, about the London tube...

Are there any plans to install platform gates along the platform edges at the stations? They've been installed on the new sections of the Jubilee.

I ask this because passenger levels are rising so much and the situation is surely getting dangerous especially on the deep level platforms. Couldn't lower height gates be installed on these lines, like they have on some lines in other countries?
CityCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #4906
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
*Yes, it's surprising, but they really are popular - certainly in the teens at shoulder-peak times. Which for zone 5 in NW London beats the number of people leaving the train at many stations. It's typically around about 30-40% of people leaving each train.
My shortsightedness is what's surprising me ... my imagination was limited to long-haul commuter trips
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #4907
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1782

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityCat View Post
I'm new here, just joined. Enjoyed reading Tubeman's FAQ.

I have a question for Tubeman - or for that matter for anyone else, about the London tube...

Are there any plans to install platform gates along the platform edges at the stations? They've been installed on the new sections of the Jubilee.

I ask this because passenger levels are rising so much and the situation is surely getting dangerous especially on the deep level platforms. Couldn't lower height gates be installed on these lines, like they have on some lines in other countries?
PSDs are unlikely to be installed at existing stations due to several reasons. Many stations are too curved and platforms are generally lower than the train floor. There are also stations served by a variety of stocks with different door positions.
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #4908
MiaM

Is the inflow of passengers from outside of stations regulated so platforms don't get too crowded?

(I.E. if only one gate would let people in, or if the gates would open extra slow on purpose, less people per time unit will be able to get in and thus the overcrowding will probably not be so severe)
Old April 11th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #4909
London Underground

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
Is the inflow of passengers from outside of stations regulated so platforms don't get too crowded?

(I.E. if only one gate would let people in, or if the gates would open extra slow on purpose, less people per time unit will be able to get in and thus the overcrowding will probably not be so severe)
Indeed it is. You'll see it happen quite often if you look at "The Tube" on Youtube.
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #4910
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
(as featured in that BBC series), that whole cat-n-mouse game of manually closing a subterranean passageway gate on users inside Bank station before a bottleneck up ahead
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #4911
Busfotodotnl

Likes (Received): 511

Why is this topic always sticky? In my opinion, London or her network is not more important than other cities.
Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #4912
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Underground View Post
Indeed it is. You'll see it happen quite often if you look at "The Tube" on Youtube.
You would think considering how regularly it occurs they would have some mechanism outside the station to advise which line is causing the issue.

When I lived in London I used to use the central line from Holborn and the number of times I got to the station to find it was being regulated wasn't funny, but as I said you have no idea what line the problem was on. The reason why it is important to know is it allows you to work out a plan B to get home. For example if I got to Holborn and found out the problem was with the Piccadilly line then it would be a simple matter of walking to Chancery Lane station to get the tube. If it was the central line causing issues then I could have walked to Temple and got a Circle Line train (I lived near Notting Hill Gate) or got the bus.

But oh no, no idea what line was causing grief unless of course you decided to join the srum waiting to get in only to turn around if it was your line in trouble, which of course just made the srum worse as many people would then turn around and go back through the queue.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #4913
NCT
Not Cwite There

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
You would think considering how regularly it occurs they would have some mechanism outside the station to advise which line is causing the issue.

When I lived in London I used to use the central line from Holborn and the number of times I got to the station to find it was being regulated wasn't funny, but as I said you have no idea what line the problem was on. The reason why it is important to know is it allows you to work out a plan B to get home. For example if I got to Holborn and found out the problem was with the Piccadilly line then it would be a simple matter of walking to Chancery Lane station to get the tube. If it was the central line causing issues then I could have walked to Temple and got a Circle Line train (I lived near Notting Hill Gate) or got the bus.

But oh no, no idea what line was causing grief unless of course you decided to join the srum waiting to get in only to turn around if it was your line in trouble, which of course just made the srum worse as many people would then turn around and go back through the queue.
These days there are service status boards at the entrances of stations showing which lines have severe delays or which lines have good service. Reduced entry at Holborn is normally caused by escalator works now.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #4914
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
These days there are service status boards at the entrances of stations showing which lines have severe delays or which lines have good service. Reduced entry at Holborn is normally caused by escalator works now.
That's exactly my point the signs are at the entrances, meaning you have to get to the entrance first to work out where the issue is. Why not have one of these cast of thousands of staff move out of the station when it gets bad (like I have seen dozens of times at Holborn) with a megaphone advising what line has the issue and if we really want some good customer service advise alternatives. For example if the Picc is down advise central line customers to walk up the road to Chancery Lane rather than wait and make the queue to Holborn worse.

As for the delays I was talking about they were service delays with either the Central or Piccadilly lines, don't see why there would be any less of them now than before.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #4915
NCT
Not Cwite There

London's streets probably doesn't need any more noise coming out of megaphones.
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #4916
MiaM

London streets could however probably cope with a display where station staff can publish free-text?
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #4917
trainrover

Do any of the four fenced-in corners themselves at the intersection of Regent and Oxford Streets happen to suffer bottlenecks (serious pedestrian traffic jams such that nobody gets to go anywhere) outside the Xmas shopping period nowadays?
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #4918
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2055

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busfotodotnl View Post
Why is this topic always sticky? In my opinion, London or her network is not more important than other cities.
Because the thread is run by one of London Undergrounds managers. It isn't just a discussion thread like the others, it's an 'ask the inside guy' thread. If another city had the same thing, it would be stickied too.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #4919
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2055

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
i was really really really disappointed by the london underground fares. i got a problem when i visited london 2 days ago. ok that happened at the wellesden green station, i asked a staff to give me the cheapest ticket and i did mention that i am travelling to central london, stratford olympic site and i also said that i am going to wembley stadium as well. he then gave me a one day ticket which cost me almost 10 quids as far as i remember. i took the train at wellesden green station then i got off at the wembley park station, i put my travel ticket in the machine at the gate but it didn't work then i looked at the front page of the ticket and found that it is valid only for zone 1-2, i was like wow the ticket is so expensive and i didn't realise it earlier. in the mean time 2 station staffs came to me, took my ticket and they told me to give £80 for penalty. i was alone and i was so scared at the time although i believed i didn't do anything wrong. i explained them about my journeys and everything and i refused to pay that massive amount of fine, after a few mins 2 policemen came in and took all the personal details and one of the station staffs gave me an appeal form as well. i haven't appealed yet, all i know is that i was massively disappointed by that london underground experience though and i was so angry for the fact that two cops took my details. it's expensive and some staffs are very unreliable like the one who sold me the wrong ticket although i did explain him my plans and everything.
The Max tube fair is an all day all zone travelcard which costs about 5-6 quid.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #4920
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
The Max tube fair is an all day all zone travelcard which costs about 5-6 quid.
The zone 1 off-peak Oyster cap/day travelcard (now the same) is £7. £20.20 is a peak all zones (1-9) plus Watford Junction or Grays ticket, and a zones 1-9 travelcard is £19.60 peak.

If you exclude anything outside zone 6, off-peak is £8.50, peak is £15.80.

There's an evening peak that starts at 4 (even if you go counter peak, annoyingly) as well as the morning peak.

Tags
london, railways, tube