daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 13th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #4921
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityCat View Post
I'm new here, just joined. Enjoyed reading Tubeman's FAQ.

I have a question for Tubeman - or for that matter for anyone else, about the London tube...

Are there any plans to install platform gates along the platform edges at the stations? They've been installed on the new sections of the Jubilee.

I ask this because passenger levels are rising so much and the situation is surely getting dangerous especially on the deep level platforms. Couldn't lower height gates be installed on these lines, like they have on some lines in other countries?
As has already been answered, this is highly unlikely in general.

However, I suspect that if a line is chosen to go 'driverless' in the future, then this might prompt retro-fitting. The Victoria Line is the ideal candidate; all deep level, one stock, sensitive edge doors, no excessively curved platforms.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #4922
SO143
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 20,896
Likes (Received): 3625

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
The zone 1 off-peak Oyster cap/day travelcard (now the same) is £7. £20.20 is a peak all zones (1-9) plus Watford Junction or Grays ticket, and a zones 1-9 travelcard is £19.60 peak.

If you exclude anything outside zone 6, off-peak is £8.50, peak is £15.80.

There's an evening peak that starts at 4 (even if you go counter peak, annoyingly) as well as the morning peak.
i thought new york subway fare was expensive but i was wrong, in fact LU offers the most ridiculous fares
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4923
MiaM
Registered User
 
MiaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 280
Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
i thought new york subway fare was expensive but i was wrong, in fact LU offers the most ridiculous fares
But then zone 1-9 is about twice the geographical end-to-end distance compared to New York subway (according to a simple visual measurement on google maps...).

I'm not sure what TfL zones is comparable to the area NY subway covers, perhaps 1-4 or 1-3?
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #4924
SO143
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 20,896
Likes (Received): 3625

http://nyctourismsvt.com/wp-content/...-map-large.jpg

468 stations are served 24 hours a day
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #4925
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,249
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
http://nyctourismsvt.com/wp-content/...-map-large.jpg

468 stations are served 24 hours a day
You missed the point. It isn't about the number of stations, but about the distance the service goes to, using the theory the further the distance travelled the greater the cost and the higher the fare.

Having said that the tube (and rail services in the UK in general), using cash fares is incredibly expensive. Cannot think of too many places in the world that are more expensive.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #4926
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe
 
ill tonkso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St. Neots
Posts: 16,444
Likes (Received): 2055

Regarding Platform Edge Doors, they have just been announced for the Glasgow Circle.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #4927
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe
 
ill tonkso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St. Neots
Posts: 16,444
Likes (Received): 2055

I have made an observation. On the line I use in Portsmouth, there are no weeds in between the tracks except at stations... in a sort of 'splattered corpse' pattern... where people have jumped in front of trains.

Are these actually what I have now taken to calling 'Suicide Plantations'?
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #4928
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
I have made an observation. On the line I use in Portsmouth, there are no weeds in between the tracks except at stations... in a sort of 'splattered corpse' pattern... where people have jumped in front of trains.

Are these actually what I have now taken to calling 'Suicide Plantations'?
That's pretty twisted!

The real reason is that weed killing trains have to reduce their spray passing through platforms so they don't douse them (and / or passengers) in hazardous chemicals, so the spread is less effective through stations.

The pattern is otherwise coincidental, I guess much like weeds randomly popping up on a lawn, they grow randomly on ballast.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #4929
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe
 
ill tonkso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St. Neots
Posts: 16,444
Likes (Received): 2055

Ah fair enough, somewhat less macabre. Still, there is something oddly beautiful about life emerging from death and all that jazz.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #4930
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

There may be a little truth to your theory I guess... Sand is thrown down over blood after a one-under when all the 'bits' have been picked up, so I guess at those locations the sand would settle into the gaps between the ballast, forming a better substrate for weeds to take root.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #4931
CairnsTony
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cairns, Qld.
Posts: 242
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
There may be a little truth to your theory I guess... Sand is thrown down over blood after a one-under when all the 'bits' have been picked up, so I guess at those locations the sand would settle into the gaps between the ballast, forming a better substrate for weeds to take root.
It would be a rather macabre subject for a research paper, especially if a correlation was found!
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #4932
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe
 
ill tonkso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St. Neots
Posts: 16,444
Likes (Received): 2055

What are your thoughts on this? http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/s...llion.17283990

There are a lot of miserable people in Glasgow who think it is a waste of money, but I think adding Platform Edge Doors is a much needed upgrade to their system. The current modernisation screen is expected to see a major increase in patronage from 13m a year to 18m. Glasgows narrow subway platforms would be a nightmare on a busy day. Plus this is tied into their system going Automatic.

Makes you think actually, Glasgow - with Driverless Trains, fully refurbished stations and Platform Edge Doors - will have the most advanced system in the UK come 2014 when all this is finished.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #4933
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
What are your thoughts on this? http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/s...llion.17283990

There are a lot of miserable people in Glasgow who think it is a waste of money, but I think adding Platform Edge Doors is a much needed upgrade to their system. The current modernisation screen is expected to see a major increase in patronage from 13m a year to 18m. Glasgows narrow subway platforms would be a nightmare on a busy day. Plus this is tied into their system going Automatic.

Makes you think actually, Glasgow - with Driverless Trains, fully refurbished stations and Platform Edge Doors - will have the most advanced system in the UK come 2014 when all this is finished.
Downside: removes some of the system's character
Upside: makes sure the perilously narrow platforms are safer and allows full automation

I guess it's 'the future'
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #4934
CityCat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Downside: removes some of the system's character
Upside: makes sure the perilously narrow platforms are safer and allows full automation

I guess it's 'the future'
If the Glasgow Unterground can introduce platform doors with their small tunnel and platform size...

then it makes redundant the argument that the London Tube doesnt have any room for platform doors on it's larger platforms.

I think they are certainly the future.

Future generations will be amazed to hear that tube trains used to drive into packed station platforms with no platform doors fitted.

'ealth and safety, innit!
CityCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 01:26 AM   #4935
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe
 
ill tonkso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St. Neots
Posts: 16,444
Likes (Received): 2055

I think Glasgows platforms are generally straighter though, not entirely but not so much as to make it impractical. The Central Line could though, and should IMHO.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 03:42 PM   #4936
MiaM
Registered User
 
MiaM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Posts: 280
Likes (Received): 85

What would the problem with platform doors on a non-straight platform be?

The gap between the train and the platform will be there regardless of if there are any platform doors or not. The curvation of the platform is certainly even enough that platform doors formed to the platform edge can slide away.

Is the problem that someone might be trapped between the platform doors and the trains doors when they are closing? That must surely be detectable either by CCTV cameras or some kind of clearance/prescence detector?
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:13 AM   #4937
scalatrava89
Registered User
 
scalatrava89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Wales, London
Posts: 1,492
Likes (Received): 99

First time posting in your thread Tubeman.

I stumbled across this video of ghosts on the Underground, I am fascinated by all things paranormal. But it's a subject which I think is rather overlooked, certainly on the London Underground. I would like to know if you have any paranormal stories or know anyone who has seen or felt anything.

scalatrava89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:37 AM   #4938
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityCat View Post
then it makes redundant the argument that the London Tube doesnt have any room for platform doors on it's larger platforms.
That never really has been a counter-argument to be fair
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #4939
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalatrava89 View Post
First time posting in your thread Tubeman.

I stumbled across this video of ghosts on the Underground, I am fascinated by all things paranormal. But it's a subject which I think is rather overlooked, certainly on the London Underground. I would like to know if you have any paranormal stories or know anyone who has seen or felt anything.
From my FAQ... to be fair this post is over five years old!

As for me, nothing, and I've spent a lot of time alone on night shifts and doing track walks in the past
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:42 AM   #4940
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
I think Glasgows platforms are generally straighter though, not entirely but not so much as to make it impractical. The Central Line could though, and should IMHO.
It's got one of the sharpest curved set of platforms though (Bank)

I guess there's nothing stopping just Bank being omitted however, the Jubilee is a mixture of PED and non-PED stations... no technical reason why not
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
london, railways, tube

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium