daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:47 AM   #4941
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
What would the problem with platform doors on a non-straight platform be?

The gap between the train and the platform will be there regardless of if there are any platform doors or not. The curvation of the platform is certainly even enough that platform doors formed to the platform edge can slide away.

Is the problem that someone might be trapped between the platform doors and the trains doors when they are closing? That must surely be detectable either by CCTV cameras or some kind of clearance/prescence detector?
That's the main issue; at Bank Central Line, Embankment Northern Line northbound, etc, due to the 'throw' of cars rounding the curve at some sets of doors a person could easily fall between train and PED screen, but would be potentially shielded from view of the driver's CCTV by the PED screen. You could have the horrific notion of someone being trapped between PED screen and train, which is a pretty unpleasant death.

Of course technology could be introduced to overcome this, but each new layer of detection system is an added potential fault which could cause delays (and adds to cost)
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:46 PM   #4942
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

What happends if someone falls down the gap at a curved station today? Is that easily visible on the drivers CCTV system?

A bonus question: Old-fashion analogue CCTV system can probably never fail in a "freeze picture" style. Is there any special considerations done to make sure that frozen picture don't happend on modern CCTV systems?
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 07:47 PM   #4943
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
What happends if someone falls down the gap at a curved station today? Is that easily visible on the drivers CCTV system?
Unless they're very small and manage to completely fall down the gap, then yes.

Quote:
A bonus question: Old-fashion analogue CCTV system can probably never fail in a "freeze picture" style. Is there any special considerations done to make sure that frozen picture don't happend on modern CCTV systems?
I'm not sure, but it's not a failure mode I've ever heard of with our equipment.

Bearing in mind a driver is watching as their train departs from a platform, it would be pretty obvious if the image has frozen (the train wouldn't be moving!)
Old April 24th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #4944
CityCat

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
That's the main issue; at Bank Central Line, Embankment Northern Line northbound, etc, due to the 'throw' of cars rounding the curve at some sets of doors a person could easily fall between train and PED screen, but would be potentially shielded from view of the driver's CCTV by the PED screen. You could have the horrific notion of someone being trapped between PED screen and train, which is a pretty unpleasant death.

Of course technology could be introduced to overcome this, but each new layer of detection system is an added potential fault which could cause delays (and adds to cost)
Someone getting trapped between PED and train leading to a pretty unpleasant death also causes delay (and adds to cost).
CityCat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #4945
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Following this 13-Dec-2010 :

clickable...
this 19-Jan-2011 updating :
Man Crushed By 4 Train To Sue MTA
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #4946
Dobbo

Likes (Received): 270

Exciting morning on the Bakerloo...
Dobbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #4947
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

The Central Line being converted to ATO is news to me

Last edited by trainrover; April 26th, 2012 at 07:01 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #4948
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
The Central Line being converted to ATO is news to me
It's old news... 15 years old!
Old April 27th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #4949
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbo View Post
Exciting morning on the Bakerloo...
Yes it made last night on the Jubilee pale into insignificance...

We had a customer die on a train at Stanmore, a person under a train at Finchley Road (admittedly on the Met Line), a defective train at North Greenwich and a signalling problem between Neasden and Wembley Park all at the same time... that's what happens when I work lates!
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4950
cpwken

Likes (Received): 273

Hi Tubeman

Pulling into Ealing Broadway yesterday reminded me of something I've wondered about before.

How come the Central Line platforms are south of the District Line platforms, when for the rest of the route through west London the Central is north of the District?

I guess that as the District is older the gap between the mainline and District platforms was the only available space at the station?

However, that just raises the question why the District is also north of the mainline!

Do you know?
cpwken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #4951
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpwken View Post
Hi Tubeman

Pulling into Ealing Broadway yesterday reminded me of something I've wondered about before.

How come the Central Line platforms are south of the District Line platforms, when for the rest of the route through west London the Central is north of the District?

I guess that as the District is older the gap between the mainline and District platforms was the only available space at the station?

However, that just raises the question why the District is also north of the mainline!

Do you know?
The Central Line platforms are on the site of the original District Railway terminus... quite simply when the Central Line reached there in 1920, a new District Line terminus with the current trainshed was built to the north of the original.

The Central Line all the way from Wood Lane (just south of the current White City) to Ealing Broadway was built by the GWR and was originally a goods-only route from the West London Line at Viaduct Junction to a point east of Ealing Broadway. The Central Line runs parallel to the GWR main line from where the original goods route and main line merged, so it follows that the Central Line terminus would be adjacent to the GWR station.

I guess the question really is why the District Railway decided its Ealing Broadway route needed to cross over the GWR main line and have its terminus on the north side of Ealing Broadway station. I suspect the answer is simply that the northern pair of GWR tracks are the 'slow' lines, and this therefore allowed District trains to run west to Slough & Windsor without crossing the southern 'fast' lines on the level.
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #4952
cpwken

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
I suspect the answer is simply that the northern pair of GWR tracks are the 'slow' lines, and this therefore allowed District trains to run west to Slough & Windsor without crossing the southern 'fast' lines on the level.
Makes sense. I thougth possibly it wasdue to a lack of available land south of the mainline, it's quite close to Uxbridge road.

Anyway, thanks for the very comprehensive answer, I'm duly impressed!
cpwken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:35 AM   #4953
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5791

This is ridiculous....LU map is selling itself to the Arabs

http://www.economist.com/node/21554260
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #4954
sotonsi

The folded paper tube maps used to be sponsored by Yellow Pages, with adverts front and back - was that not OK? after all Yellow Pages was British.

My Oyster card plastic wallet is IKEA branded, as they paid to sponsor those - are the Swedes OK, or is it just Arabs that you don't like?

And there's advertising all over the tube - they ***** out the trains, the walls of the station, etc. Is that not OK?

The LU map isn't selling itself to the Arabs, just that a line on the tube map is sponsored by them - Emirates agreed to pay millions to sponsor the cable car to get it built in time for the Olympics (though TfL themselves had to pay way more than they were going to to get it built by the Olympics).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4955
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

How about democracy and human rights in Brittain, Sweden and the Emirates?
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #4956
Tubeman
Jubilation

Not for this thread thank you
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #4957
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

Tubeman
I have realized the elevated ways aren't very tall, they are low, around 15feet...Why?
Are they projected for low impact in the urban landscape?
What are under the elevated ways? Soil? Empty? Is there any use the space under the elevated ways?

Look at the example of a tall elevated way...What do you think about? London doesn´t have elevated ways at the same high, does it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopc View Post
New Line 10/2 Tamanduateí Station pics (opened last Tuesday) by Eduardo GJF

Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #4958
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2055

Dollis Brook is the highest point on the Tube.

image hosted on flickr
It also - from that picture - doesn't look like it is in London, but it is.

The London Overground has this too.

image hosted on flickr

Then the DLR runs a lot on this.

It's a shame the DLR is so ugly (subjective I admit) though. I understand that the DLR was built very cheaply and is a fantastic piece of infrastructure in its own right, but cold concrete just doesn't capture the imagination like Cast Iron or Brick. But I guess a Brick viaduct was hardly an affordable option. The DLR lacks 'statement' that the older railways have. It has its moments, granted. Canary Wharf DLR is an impressive space, as is Heron Quays, but the rest of it lacks any real character. I feel the same way about the Shepherds Bush stations on the Sub-Surface lines too.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #4959
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

Hi, ill tonkso
The DLR was built very cheaply...but was there lack of money to build a nicer and very well project for DLR? Do you think the DLR could be underground, not elevated?

In DLR what was made under the elevated? Is there parking lot?
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 03:43 AM   #4960
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2055

Roads mainly. It wasnt a lack of money issue, more of a build what we can.
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube