daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #5001
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LONDONER View Post
Hi Tubeman.

I was reading a page about the Seven Sisters platforms on London Reconnections, and came across this comment, underneath the article.
Read the (two) articles about Farringdon on London Reconnections, that should shed some light on everything except the Northern City "tube style" NR Line.
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #5002
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
The "tube line that isn't on the tube map" probably refers to the northern city line which was part of London underground until 1975 when it was sold to British Rail. The platforms along that section are still in Network Southeasts corporate platform design. At the moment it is operates by First Capital Connect (the thameslink franchise). The disused platforms are probably the former thameslink terminus platforms. A short branch along the city widened lines leaving at Faringdon used to go fom Faringdon to Moorgate via Barbican. This service was withdrawn in 2009 as part of the thameslink program.The bits that are disused I'm not sure about but I honk that when the station was built by the metropolitan railway they had a lot of back passages around the northern city line area. I went on a tour to that bit and the were large over runs around the platforms and a lot of old CSLR tiles up. There was also an old direction sign for the metropolitan railway.
I think that's pretty much the long & short of it... the comment 1Londoner saw was using a little artistic licence I think!

Like many interchange stations, I would assume that Moorgate was actually once three separate stations, each with their own street level entrance, lifts (CSLR and GNCR), and emergency stairs. This is certainly the case for Oxford Circus (original CLR entrance / shafts abandoned) and Euston (original CCEHR entrance / shafts abandoned), and no doubt several more where original yet defunct station buildings survive. It follows that there are a wealth of redundant passageways and shafts at these stations, where once originally independent and competing companies amalgamated and therefore subsurface interchange passageways were provided for ease of interchange. This often led to one set of surface buildings and lifts to be abandoned.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #5003
1LONDONER

Likes (Received): 55

Thanks for the responses guys!

Tubeman you renewing for the upcoming season? I gave up my Silver end of season before last but kept my membership for away games , seems to be loads of people sacking it in. £61 (not inc fees) min next season for a Cat A.
1LONDONER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #5004
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LONDONER View Post
Thanks for the responses guys!

Tubeman you renewing for the upcoming season? I gave up my Silver end of season before last but kept my membership for away games , seems to be loads of people sacking it in. £61 (not inc fees) min next season for a Cat A.
Yeah, I've renewed my season ticket... £1,075
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:50 AM   #5005
lemmo

Likes (Received): 60

Tubeman, looking at Moorgate, do you have any 3D / isometric images of the station? I'd like to clarify how the Crossrail works block any potential extension of the GN&City line southwards, but I think the station deserves a more thorough exploration, a bit like we've just done on Smithfield and Farringdon at London Reconnections.

lemmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:36 AM   #5006
Tubeman
Jubilation

These two are online

The barrier to southward extension may well be the H&C / Circle / Met, depending on how much room there is between the top of the Northern tubes and the bottom of the subsurface tunnel. As you can see, the GNCR is directly above the Northern... I guess it could drop to run alongside the Northern on the same level, thus weaving below the Circle / H&C / Met and above the Crossrail tunnels, but there appears to be very limited room for this.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:46 AM   #5007
MiaM

Would GNCR have been buildt over Northern Line if there weren't space to extend southwards under the Circle?

Would the proposed and approved extention to Lothbury even been suggested if it weren't possible to extend without moving the platform tunnels at Moorgate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothbury_tube_station

It would have been nice if the 3D model had been released as a 3D cad file of some kind, so you could rotate the view.

Perhaps the Post Office Railway is in the way, but that line could possible be cut (and perhaps moved if it were to be re-used as a tunnel for wires e.t.c).
Old July 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #5008
London Underground

Likes (Received): 0

Not exactly an LU question, but seeing the pics above made me wonder: as the post office railway isn't in use anymore, why not find another way to use the tunnels?
Old July 24th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #5009
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
Would GNCR have been buildt over Northern Line if there weren't space to extend southwards under the Circle?

Would the proposed and approved extention to Lothbury even been suggested if it weren't possible to extend without moving the platform tunnels at Moorgate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothbury_tube_station

It would have been nice if the 3D model had been released as a 3D cad file of some kind, so you could rotate the view.

Perhaps the Post Office Railway is in the way, but that line could possible be cut (and perhaps moved if it were to be re-used as a tunnel for wires e.t.c).
There must have been enough room below the Circle tunnel then, if Lothbury was in progress. This probably sums up why it was abandoned:

One peculiarity of the scheme was that the running tunnels between Moorgate and Lothbury stations were to have been shorter than the platform tunnels at the two stations; meaning that the front of a full length train would have arrived at Lothbury before the end would have left Moorgate.

The Post office railway's tunnels are too small a bore to have any human transportation use... maybe like the Tower subway they'll end up with something boring like pipes or cables passing through.

As it stands, the system is merely 'mothballed'... I do hope it's reused for its proper purpose, a great piece of infrastructure which would sure take a lot of Post office vans off the roads of London
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #5010
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
As it stands, the system is merely 'mothballed'... I do hope it's reused for its proper purpose, a great piece of infrastructure which would sure take a lot of Post office vans off the roads of London
Out of curiosity, why was it mothballed in the first place?
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #5011
Tubeman
Jubilation

Money... the excuse was that it was 5 x more expensive than road transport

However, I'm sure if there was a bit of investment in automation, it could be very cost-efficient in the long run

Clearly far faster, cleaner, and less labour intensive than a fleet of Royal mail vans with the right investment
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #5012
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Maybe worming around underneath a capital's perceived a blemish on royal branding
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #5013
MiaM

Wasn't the problem that sorting offices moved so they weren't connected to the railway - and the move was ironically made because of road cognestion around the old sorting offices?

I may well remember everything wrong about this
Old July 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #5014
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
Wasn't the problem that sorting offices moved so they weren't connected to the railway - and the move was ironically made because of road cognestion around the old sorting offices?

I may well remember everything wrong about this
No, I think the sorting offices are in the same places still, but maybe there has been rationalisation so that movement between remaining offices is less.

Mount Pleasant is certainly still very much in operation, I used to live next to it. It's such a large chunk of prime central London real estate that it's inevitable it's going to one day be redeveloped though. Bizarrely, when I lived next door to it, any undelivered mail for us would go to Rathbone Place sorting office near Tottenham Court Road... Mount Pleasant didn't even deal with my postcode (WC1).
Old July 27th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #5015
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

Bus question so perhaps not the best place.

Is there a system when it comes to numbering the routes? Things around clapham and Brixton seem to have threes, for examples and finchley road 13. I reckon that if there was a pattern I could spot it, I just don't want to look if there isn't one there to begin with!
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #5016
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1782

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
Bus question so perhaps not the best place.

Is there a system when it comes to numbering the routes? Things around clapham and Brixton seem to have threes, for examples and finchley road 13. I reckon that if there was a pattern I could spot it, I just don't want to look if there isn't one there to begin with!
There are some 'rules' but most of the process is pretty organic. Generally routes under 200 are the old traditional routes. The 2xx series started out as single deck routes but many have since been converted to double deck owing to increased usage. The 3xx and 4xx series routes are typically results of splitting the traditional routes, with 3xx and 4xx used for derived routes north and south of the river respectively. For example the 29 (a north London route) became 29 and 329; and the 68 (a south London route) became 68 and 468 (loosely speaking only). The north and south distinction doesn't really apply anymore, as you have the 444 in the north and 312 in the south.

There isn't really any geographical pattern. The only patterns are as a result of routes evolving and splitting. When new routes are created sometimes a number related to existing routes are chosen.
Old July 27th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #5017
Tubeman
Jubilation

Good thing NCT's around, because I didn't have a clue

All I'd ever noticed is overlapping routes one with a 2-digit number and the other prefixed, e.g. my local 63 and 363, 53 and 453... interestingly this sort of goes against what NCT just said about north / south as all are basically south London routes:

63 = Honor Oak Park to King's Cross
363 = Crystal Palace to Elephant & Castle

53 = Plumstead to Whitehall
453 = Deptford Bridge to Marylebone

Don't forget the numerous routes with letter prefixes associated with suburban centres, e.g. 'E' = Ealing, 'W' = Walthamstow etc
Old July 29th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #5018
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

The letters used to confuse me too, but I guessed as much. Thanks guys! Very interesting! As Tubeman said, it's mainly things like 13 and 113 Finchley Road, 82 and 2 (BS-Victoria), 3, 35 and 355 (Brixton). 37, 137, 417 (Clapham Common).

It's a shame there isn't a pattern. It could make guessing whether a bus is the right one for you easier when you are running to catch it!
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #5019
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
The letters used to confuse me too, but I guessed as much. Thanks guys! Very interesting! As Tubeman said, it's mainly things like 13 and 113 Finchley Road, 82 and 2 (BS-Victoria), 3, 35 and 355 (Brixton). 37, 137, 417 (Clapham Common).

It's a shame there isn't a pattern. It could make guessing whether a bus is the right one for you easier when you are running to catch it!
I doubt any system could be devised that would do that due to the complex nature of routing.

I grew up in Clapham in the 70s and remember the buses that went through Clapham Common were the 37, 137 (as mentioned above), but also the 35 (to Brixton), the 45 (to Clapham Junction one way, Brixton via Stockwell the other), the 155 which followed the route of the Northern Line and the 88, which was the most frequent bus along the high street and down to Clapham South. There was also an infrequent 189 which turned down Nightingale Lane to who knows where as I never used it.

I'm not sure what that says about the bus numbering and if there are any discernible patterns!
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #5020
Paul Easton

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
There are some 'rules' but most of the process is pretty organic. Generally routes under 200 are the old traditional routes. The 2xx series started out as single deck routes but many have since been converted to double deck owing to increased usage. The 3xx and 4xx series routes are typically results of splitting the traditional routes, with 3xx and 4xx used for derived routes north and south of the river respectively.
I'm casting my mind back to my younger days in the 60s and from what I can remember:

1-299 were routes inside Greater London and were operated by red buses.

300-499 were London Transport's 'country routes' and operated by green buses. These became 'London Country' in 1970 (?).

The 5xx were the 'Red Arrow' express buses in central London.

7xx were 'Green Line' routes.
Paul Easton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube