daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #5081
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
...not a strictly speaking fair statement to make when you consider the context.

The tramway was viewed as a way for the Metropolitan Railway getting to Oxford and a lot of London-bound traffic.

...and when it was built as a tramway it was little more than a more efficient way of moving produce to and from the railway at Quainton.
That as may be but the original line was poorly constructed and the trains took more than two hours to run the distance from Brill to Quainton Road; moving barely faster than walking pace. The original plans to extend the line to Oxford would have seen it following an existing road complete with steep gradients, making it similarly very slow.

When the Met took over they needed to completely reconstruct it, making the line faster but still not that fast. Either way, the line was so lightly used that there were times trains ran with no passengers at all.

It may have been useful as a freight line, though a brickworks on the line closed soon after opening due to competition from other nearby brickworks. As soon as new lines built by the GWR and GCR opened up through the area, both Brill and Wootton suddenly had quicker, easier alternatives for getting to London.

The way I see it, the line may have been viable had it been properly constructed from the outset and built in one go all the way to Oxford, but I guess we'll never know.
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #5082
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
I was thinking more of heavily engineered yet duplicating branches like Tattenham Corner, Crystal Palace High Level, and Alexandra Palace in London.
The problem with Tattenham Corner must be that the line isn't connected to Epsom Downs (or Epsom proper).

A loop line is IMHO a good idea because it's a goog combination of a partially orbital and partially radial route.
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #5083
sotonsi

Even if Tat Corner line connected to Epsom Downs, that doesn't add much, other than direct services to Sutton from the branch. Even the connection to Epsom wouldn't be that good - Epsom to Croydon has direct services anyway.

Tat Corner line justifies itself nowadays by the number of stations - none are that busy, but together they justify extending 2tph from Coulsden Town (formerly Smitham) - which got a reversing point to enable Coulsden North to be removed - which was the terminus for metro services before.

Epsom Downs is a station with very little traffic, but Banstead and Belmont aren't totally awful (though worse than most Tat Corner branch stations). However the route works to relieve Sutton station of some reversal movements, and closing the line would be more trouble than keeping it.

These two branches aren't unsuccessful or pointless, they just are unsuccessful compared to most of the rest of London's railways, plus the Tat Corner branch has some big engineering, which makes you wonder why they built it.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 01:40 PM   #5084
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1782

The Tat Corner and Epsom Downs branches do serve some hefty residential communities albeit the leafy low-density types. You probably wouldn't build these lines today, but as they are already there (i.e. no capital costs to worry about) the amount of patronage they support probably pays the operation costs.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:07 PM   #5085
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Hi tubeman. Has there been any A stocks in servic recently or are the remaining units juts stand by I case an S stock fails? I was down in london last week and didn't see one.
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #5086

Likes (Received): 0

Hi Manchester 77. Check out
www.londonreconnections.com
for the latest on A stocks. That article advises there are currently four A-Stock units remaining in service on the Metropolitan Line, with the last run in passenger service likely to take place on the line later in September.
1956 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #5087
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Tell me, please, do you know if any private, archival footage featuring London be available to the public, because hours and hours' worth! of NYC --such as the following (short) sample-- exist:

13'09": "...when the last Bronx trolley routes were bustified..."

Such old footage fascinate me to no end

Last edited by trainrover; September 6th, 2012 at 05:04 AM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #5088
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956 View Post
Hi Manchester 77. Check out
www.londonreconnections.com
for the latest on A stocks. That article advises there are currently four A-Stock units remaining in service on the Metropolitan Line, with the last run in passenger service likely to take place on the line later in September.
That said, I have only seen them in Neasden Depot and never 'on the road' for many weeks now, so I assume there are enough S Stocks to provide the full service, and the A's are only retained as a fall-back.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #5089
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Tell me, please, do you know if any private, archival footage featuring London be available to the public, because hours and hours' worth! of NYC --such as the following (short) sample-- exist:

Such old footage fascinate me to no end
Trolleybuses or any general transport footage?
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #5090
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Trolley line = tram line with trolley pole instead of other current pickup method.

Still in use in some places today (Riga IIRC, lines are converted to be compatible with other current pickup methods).

A trolley pole can pick up power even if the wire quite a bit off-centre and also the wire don't need to follof a zig-zag pattern on a straight section. With other current pickup methods the wire of course need to be rather near the centre, but it also needs to hang in zig-zag on straight sections to even out the wear on the current pickup thingie. Therefore the wire can be compatible to one of or both methods.

Sorry for not remembering the english word for the other kind of current pickup thingie.

(Off-topic but still rail related: I've heard roumors of international train trying to describe an animal a language not native to him/her. He/she said something like "a cow with a current pickup thingie" (but the correct word for the current pickup thingie) )
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #5091
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
any general transport footage
Please

Here's another example; I mean, where does it all come from? Might lots have been filmed around London; is the footage being sequestered, hoarded? What about Paris, Berlin, for example?

Also well-narrated

Curious about minding the gap? Listen to another method introduced and explained for about 40 seconds starting at 2'25"

Last edited by trainrover; September 6th, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old September 8th, 2012, 03:26 AM   #5092
trainrover

Oops double post
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #5093
Tubeman
Jubilation

Very reminiscent of the sadly departed Liverpool Overhead Railway

Old October 28th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #5094
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Hi Tuby - you still here?

Just north of Westminster station on the SB Jubilee line there is a tunnel running off at right angles to the train tunnel, which is lit up and seems to end in a brick wall with a door in it, although it flashes past too quick to see properly.

What's this all about? If it's an escape tunnel I've never noticed anything like it before on the network.

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #5095
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr23Derek View Post
Hi Tuby - you still here?

Just north of Westminster station on the SB Jubilee line there is a tunnel running off at right angles to the train tunnel, which is lit up and seems to end in a brick wall with a door in it, although it flashes past too quick to see properly.

What's this all about? If it's an escape tunnel I've never noticed anything like it before on the network.

Derek
Still here

There are substantial subterranean equipment rooms and cross passages on the Jubilee extension, I think I know the one you mean and that's what it is. You'll see similar off the ends of several JLE platforms.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:59 AM   #5096
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Hello all:

One linguistic question:
Which is the correct word in English to define a site where several public transport joins with their stops or stations and it is possible to shuttle between them?

It is one of those words impossible to find in dictionnaries.

Thank you in advance

Alex

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 04:22 AM   #5097
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Hello all:

One linguistic question:
Which is the correct word in English to define a site where several public transport joins with their stops or stations and it is possible to shuttle between them?

Thank you in advance

Alex
I'm not sure what you mean.
Do you mean a site like canning town station where you have bus, LU and DLR interchange? If so then this is classed as a multi-modal interchange. At a station such as Oxford Circus where there is interchange between three LU lines (Bakerloo, Central and Victoria) then this is a single mode interchange.
But if you mean a site such as Heathrow where there are three LU stations, two rail stations and five airport terminals I don't know what word to use. Mass multi-modal international interchange site? I'm not sure but to connect you can have anything from shuttle buses, rapid transit or a unique system such as the automatic pod car system at Hearhrow.
Hope this helps but I doubt
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 09:55 AM   #5098
CairnsTony

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
But if you mean a site such as Heathrow where there are three LU stations, two rail stations and five airport terminals I don't know what word to use. Mass multi-modal international interchange site?
Transport hub?
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 04:26 PM   #5099
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester77 View Post
But if you mean a site such as Heathrow where there are three LU stations, three rail stations and four airport terminals I don't know what word to use
Fixed the numbers for you - all three stations (T123, T4, T5) are both LU and NR. Plus not all five terminals are open - I can't remember where they are at at the moment, but T1 and T2 are being demolished and rebuilt as Heathrow East - one of the terminals is being demolished, the new one mostly built on that site, other terminal demolished and the new one finished - effectively this is the equivalent of one terminal (of course, T5 is about the equivalent of the Central Area, so worth more than one). You forgot coaches and the local buses.

You would call it 'a busy international airport' - there's no special word for the multi-modal interchanges, other than that word, but Heathrow isn't really treated like that, other than changes to planes (perhaps using an intermediate mode between terminals).
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 12:13 AM   #5100
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by alserrod View Post
Hello all:

One linguistic question:

Thank you in advance

Alex
Gee wizz some people really want to over complicate things (see answers above). The simple answer to your question is one word. Interchange.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube