daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:34 AM   #5181
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

Tubeman, thanks for the times. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to come on recently so completely missed it
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:22 PM   #5182
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

There's going to be runs of this train formation all year, apparently... Although I'm not sure if there will be any more along the 1863 Metropolitan route.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM   #5183
Tubeman
Jubilation

Love this photo from my friend who's a test train operator (one of the Sarah Siddons drivers), Met No.1 in Lillie Bridge Depot in the snow

(credit to Ian Blake)

Manchester77 liked this post
Old February 16th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #5184
Harrington

Likes (Received): 622

Does the Waterloo and City line have all of its own staffing and systems or is it under the jurisdiction of another line because it is so short?
Harrington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #5185
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
Does the Waterloo and City line have all of its own staffing and systems or is it under the jurisdiction of another line because it is so short?
It's operated by the Central Line, with drivers belonging to Leytonstone Depot... makes sense as they both use 1992 Stock.

It is completely isolated however, stock needs to be lifted down to Waterloo Depot one car at a time by crane... there used to be a lift on the north side of Waterloo mainline, but this was swept away by the Eurostar platforms.

Harrington liked this post
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:38 PM   #5186
London Underground

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
...but this was swept away by the Eurostar platforms.
I've always wondered why they removed that!
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #5187
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Underground View Post
I've always wondered why they removed that!
Because it was very rarely used. It probably saw most use under NSE when they had class 487s up in waterloo for network day and then to refurbish them into NSE livery. Apart from that it would have only been used once every 10 years, it's not really worth it for that
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #5188
Tubeman
Jubilation

It became much less relevant when the W&C was transferred from BR to LUL, as the trains are no longer compatible with the Southern Region. There's a fantastic video here of the lift in action, swapping the original 1898 stock for new trains in 1940, which ultimately lasted until the current 1992 Stock... You can see a shiny new train running towards Waterloo under its own power, as the W&C was 3rd rail.

Harrington liked this post
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:23 AM   #5189
Tubeman
Jubilation

...oh... and the small detail that 1992 stock cars were too long for the lift!
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #5190
Christopher125

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
There's going to be runs of this train formation all year, apparently... Although I'm not sure if there will be any more along the 1863 Metropolitan route.
I haven't heard of anything more involving the Bluebell's Ashbury set, the lack of secondary door locks restricts them to 25mph unfortunately.

Chris
Christopher125 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #5191
London Underground

Likes (Received): 0

Manchester77: And for various maintenance equipment. That i do know.

Tubeman: Hard to believe these days that something lasted more than a year or two in the past.
I never thought about the length of the car as a reason for its removal.
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:13 PM   #5192
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher125 View Post
I haven't heard of anything more involving the Bluebell's Ashbury set, the lack of secondary door locks restricts them to 25mph unfortunately.

Chris
I got the impression when I did the Steward training that the formation would be kept intact and on LU metals for the Summer, but I could be mistaken.

I think it was going to be outer sections, which would be a headache along the 2-track sections of the Met... I guess maybe Harrow to Watford along the 'slow' or the Chesham shuttle?
Old February 20th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #5193
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3156

Quote:
...oh... and the small detail that 1992 stock cars were too long for the lift!
By 1992, work was well underway on the Waterloo International Terminal and the lift was gone.

I was working on the refurbishment of the W & C at that time and the spur that led to the old lift was still in place but closed off.

Part of the refurbishment works that was done ahead of the introduction of the 1992 London Underground stock was the construction of a new opening in the covered way by Spur Road, Waterloo, where the vehicles are now craned in and out.

Interesting to see the Bulleid stock when it was new. We always described travelling on the W & C as the 'white knuckle ride' as the coaches used to sway so alarmingly that you felt sure they would touch the sides of the tunnel.
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 12:03 AM   #5194
Christopher125

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
I got the impression when I did the Steward training that the formation would be kept intact and on LU metals for the Summer, but I could be mistaken.

I think it was going to be outer sections, which would be a headache along the 2-track sections of the Met... I guess maybe Harrow to Watford along the 'slow' or the Chesham shuttle?
Alas it seems he was mistaken, the Ashbury set is already back at the Bluebell and even without the speed restriction would presumably be needed for their services.

According to the latest reports the 'Steam on the Met' runs will be Harrow-Amersham at up to 50mph, and will involve the 4TC set and probably the Jubilee carriage too, though locked out of use. Apparently Acton-Uxbridge is also a possibility later in the year.

Chris
Christopher125 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 02:57 AM   #5195
ObiUbamba

Likes (Received): 23

When will we see security screening on the tube??
ObiUbamba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:15 PM   #5196
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiUbamba View Post
When will we see security screening on the tube??
Never?

Manchester77 liked this post
Old March 4th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #5197
K-Bien
Economista

Likes (Received): 9625

Hey!

Can you please edit the title of this thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=478266

It says "Subway" but officially Santo Domingo's mass transit system is called Metro.

Thanks!
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #5198
Tubeman
Jubilation

Feel free to ask me something else
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #5199
Harrington

Likes (Received): 622

How often does engineering stock use LU lines in zone 1?

Does engineering stock travel along operational lines often, or is movement of such stock restricted to times when lines are closed?

Have you been involved in the movement of engineering stock? What operational differences are there between engineering and passenger stock?
Harrington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #5200
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
How often does engineering stock use LU lines in zone 1?

Does engineering stock travel along operational lines often, or is movement of such stock restricted to times when lines are closed?

Have you been involved in the movement of engineering stock? What operational differences are there between engineering and passenger stock?
Often... certainly before and after every closure, there'll be various engineering vehicles travelling to and from site. So, say there's a weekend shutdown for track renewal, there'll be numerous trains dropping off plant, equipment and materials on site in the run up, then during the works trains bringing out old ballast, sleepers, rails, and bringing in new.

In consequence, the prime times for seeing engineers trains are late night / early morning, with a peak on Friday night and Monday morning related to weekend closures. There's no restrictions on them mixing with 'normal' trains, they all have ATP, although as they can be prone to failure more than the average passenger train and are generally pretty slow, they are kept away from the main traffic day as much as possible.

My business has always been passenger trains, so I've not had any direct involvement with engineers trains... plenty of indirect involvement however (e.g. if they delay our services). Operationally, they are no different to the average Tube train, have to abide by the same procedures, follow the same signals etc. I think there certainly used to be a peculiarity with the Victoria Line where engineers trains could not run in traffic hours as they could not operate on the old ATO system (so basically had to run in a 'possession' in engineering hours), this may have changed with the new ATO system. Certainly a couple of 'battery locos' (the familiar yellow Tube-sized locomotives which haul engineers trains) have been equipped with Jubilee (and now Northern) Line TBTC, as this allows for manual driving at line speed reading an in-cab display rather than trackside signals. The Victoria Line certainly used to have only two modes: full ATO, or manual driving at caution speed by sight alone (i.e. you're looking out for a train ahead).

Harrington, alonzo-ny liked this post

Tags
london, railways, tube