daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #5241
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Seeing as how the Crossrail 2 scheme is moving forward with a round of public consultation, have you seen any maps showing both Crossrail lines, Thameslink and the Overground? I'm thinking those put together would create a very impressive network on their own.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #5242
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
Seeing as how the Crossrail 2 scheme is moving forward with a round of public consultation, have you seen any maps showing both Crossrail lines, Thameslink and the Overground? I'm thinking those put together would create a very impressive network on their own.
What, just those without the Tube? No... I've seen nothing like that

There's a few with Crossrail 1 on, like this however...
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #5243
Swede
forumer #29

Yeah, I was thinking without the tube, or maybe the tube just as shadowy lines in the background.
My thought was that it'd underscore the fact that those lines in and of themselves form an impressive urban rail system.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Old July 25th, 2013, 02:25 PM   #5244
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

Q1: What's your opinion on the proposed station at Old Oak Common?

Q2: How will the Ealing Broadway branch of the Central line be affected by Crossrail? Crossrail and the Central line gives almost the same travel options between Ealing Broadway and central London (i.e. the city and west end). Would more central line trains be routed to Ruislip and less to Ealing?
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #5245
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
Q2: How will the Ealing Broadway branch of the Central line be affected by Crossrail? Crossrail and the Central line gives almost the same travel options between Ealing Broadway and central London (i.e. the city and west end). Would more central line trains be routed to Ruislip and less to Ealing?
Neither are that busy now: the 2007 crowding map shows 1 passenger/m^2 from West Acton to North Acton, East Acton to White City, Holland Park to Lancaster Gate and Chancery Lane to St Pauls, with 2 pass/m^2 (busy, but not officially Crowded) between Lancaster Gate and Chancery Lane. I've not listed the more crowded westbound peak flows, just eastbound.

This reduces come 2021 and 2031 to 1 pass/m^2 from Notting Hill Gate to Chancery Lane. Only the H&C/Circle and the Bakerloo north of Paddington are that empty when they arrive at zone 1.

I can't imagine that, unless there is new construction making a new branch, service levels on the Central will change much with Crossrail, which relieves both branches (passengers approaching the Ruislip branch from the south will approach Crossrail from the north, similar to the Heathrow branch of the Piccadilly, though with directions swapped). Perhaps more White City terminators, especially off-peak, but no extra trains to Ruislip, as it just doesn't need them.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #5246
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaM View Post
Q1: What's your opinion on the proposed station at Old Oak Common?

Q1: It's evidently pointless unless HS2 gets built, and even then I'd think that having an additional stop a couple of miles out from Euston will defeat the point of it being a high speed route to an extent. Really the whole idea is to compensate for HS2 not having a branch to Heathrow airport by interchanging with Crossrail, but I think the thought of having to board a commuter train with your luggage in order to change at OOC onto HS2 would be a pretty big deterrent to passengers travelling to Heathrow from the Midlands / North.

Q2: We have a similar question re: the Jubilee Line and Canary Wharf... It goes without saying that Crossrail will be an attractive alternative, but bearing in mind projected population and consequent Tube travel growth, in reality all that will probably happen will be a temporary dent in passenger numbers, perhaps from pre-2018 levels back to 2013 levels. The main issue with reducing the number of Ealing Broadway trains is lack of reversing space between North Acton and West Ruislip, in essence the Ealing Broadway stub becomes a glorified turnback facility, as certainly West Acton is a sleepy station on a suburban road.
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #5247
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Read somewhere that Old Oak Common was to be used as HS2s terminal while Euston was rebuilt but though that Eustons rebuilding would be times to finish in time for the opening of phase one of HS2 including delays?
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #5248
Tubeman
Jubilation

Had a grand day out visiting First Great Western today, rode to Greenford and back on a Thames Turbo and Reading and back on an IC125

Swede liked this post
Old August 21st, 2013, 03:42 PM   #5249
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Very nice Tubeman!

What if any rules does LU have regarding 'reasonable use' around use of the tube for moving freight? This question was prompted by seeing someone on a platform today with what looked like a carpet on a handcart!
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #5250
Swede
forumer #29

With the S-stock now starting to roll out on the circle line, how are the S-stock doing in terms of over-coming any initial reliability issues?
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #5251
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

Señor Tubeman

A few questions,

What is your private opinion on the Holland Park incident a few weeks ago:

Also, is there any more information on the timescales for the S stock introduction on the Circle and District line?

Last edited by future.architect; September 17th, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #5252
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

It's in full service on the circle line now. There's a fair few S7s currently sat at Derby (or there was last time I checked the TfL forum thingy) so I'd imagine once delivered the C stocks demise can really begin. I'd imagine that the next few WTT will phase in more S Stocks for the district line, currently the only S Stock working is Train 753 West Ham - Earls Court / Olympia, and with S Stocks seen in day light on the Wimbledon Branch I'd imagine that'd be one if the first places of S Stock take over in the district
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #5253
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Likes (Received): 14293

Sr tubeman

Does the London underground have any semi underground line? for example the first lines who were built from the above?
BringMe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #5254
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringMe View Post
Sr tubeman

Does the London underground have any semi underground line? for example the first lines who were built from the above?
What do you mean by "semi underground"? A line that's not entirely in a tunnel? if so, then Yes, London has many such. Iirc most lines are partly at or above ground level.

BringMe liked this post
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #5255
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
What do you mean by "semi underground"? A line that's not entirely in a tunnel? if so, then Yes, London has many such. Iirc most lines are partly at or above ground level.
I mean that they are not very deep but can you please show me a few example of those that you are referring to? thanks
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #5256
sotonsi

BringMe - the subsurface lines (District, Hammersmith & City, Circle and Metropolitan) in Central London were built with the cut-and-cover method.

The circle and out to Finchley Road, Earl's Court and Bow Road were built by this method.

In a few places, the cut wasn't covered.

BringMe liked this post
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #5257
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
I mean that they are not very deep but can you please show me a few example of those that you are referring to? thanks
Here's the Underground station Wembley Park (next to Wembley stadium), which is above ground:
https://maps.google.se/?ll=51.563424...04823&t=h&z=18

BringMe liked this post
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #5258
sotonsi

Above ground sections of Underground, excluding uncovered cut and cover tunnels on the Subsurface lines.
Bakerloo line: Queens Park - Harrow & Wealdstone
Central line: West Ruislip/Ealing Broadway - White City; Stratford; Leyton - Epping; Newbury Park - Hainault - Woodford
Circle line: Hammersmith - Paddington
District line: Ealing Broadway/Richmond - West Kensington; Bow Road - Upminster
Hammersmith & City line: Hammersmith - Paddington; Bow Road - Barking
Jubilee line: Stanmore - Finchley Road; Canning Town - Stratford
Metropolitan line: Amersham/Chesham/Watford/Uxbridge - Finchley Road
Northern line: Edgware - Golders Green; High Barnet/Mill Hill East - just north of Highgate; Morden
Piccadilly line: Uxbridge/just east of Hounslow West - Barons Court; Arnos Grove - s of Southgate; just n of Southgate - Cockfosters
Many of these sections were originally operated as suburban rail (or were created to remove suburban rail services from the line by four-tracking it)

BringMe liked this post
Old October 9th, 2013, 02:03 AM   #5259
BringMe
I Love You, Myself.

thanks you guys!
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #5260
Swede
forumer #29

Quote:
thanks you guys!
I knew I'd seen a map clearly showing underground vs above ground sections somewhere. Turns out it was right here ar SSC:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=759

Tags
london, railways, tube