daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #5321
chris.haynes

Likes (Received): 19

Tubeman & Others:

Hi all, I would like to hear the thoughts of people on the south-east...

In a hypothetical situation where would you extend all lines in the south east region ...

Victoria
Bakerloo
DLR
Jubilee
TFL - Overground
Metropolitan

And which stations would you add/modify ...
chris.haynes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2015, 02:47 PM   #5322
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

The trains of one metro line start out at four cars, but the length of the station platforms allow for eventual expansion to six-car trains. If the expansion to six-car trains actually took place, are the existing trainsets disassembled and reconfigured into the larger trainsets, or will completely new trainsets have to be ordered?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #5323
ill tonkso
Portsmouths Finest, Maybe

Likes (Received): 2055

Have Pacers ever ran within the M25?
ill tonkso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #5324
Manchester77

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill tonkso View Post
Have Pacers ever ran within the M25?
A 143 has visited Paddington during disruption
Manchester77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #5325
Gottfried

Likes (Received): 8

London rail network

To the Tubeman

I´m Gottfried from Vienna and beg your pardon, if my english might not be quite correct!

London has an enormous and an fascinating rail network, but I wonder, why is it splitted in so many different operators, non-compatible operating-systems, owners, etc.

I´d ask:

1. I remember, that there was a connection from the East London Line to Liverpool Street Station and a tunnel north of Whitechapel to Hackney (?)

2. There are some closed lines, e.g. from the NLL to the docks (?) and a line under Greenwich Park (?) and some other rests of railways over in London, which are now built over by houses, etc., and have they lost the chance for reopening for ever?

3. Would it be an idea to reopen disused lines, what might be cheaper instead of building deep-level tunnels for Crossrails and an upcoming idea of a "Brighton Main Line 2"?

4. It is said, that DLR is a tramway-style and partially overcrowded, so that it would have the potential for a "heavy rail"-system, like London Overground?

5. Why does Heathrow Airport not have the bigger District trains (luggage!) instead of the small tube trains of the Picadilly?

6. Might it be an idea to make the whole system unique with only one operator?

What does the community think about?

Whit thanks for comments
Gottfried, Vienna, Austria
Gottfried no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #5326
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottfried View Post
5. Why does Heathrow Airport not have the bigger District trains (luggage!) instead of the small tube trains of the Picadilly?
I can answer this one: the tunnels the line uses htrough the city is too small for the larger cars. The current cars are the size they are because that's as big a train that can fit inside the tunnels. Look at pictures of the central stations, see how small the tunnel openings are.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #5327
MiaM

Likes (Received): 85

I'm definitively not the Tubeman, but...

1. Until less than 10 years ago ELL had a Shoreditch station. Far earlier there were a connection to Liverpool street station.

I've never heard of any tunnel from Whitechapel to Hackney. But there used to be a tunnel around Whitechapel that connected ELL with the District line. It was called St. Marys Curve.

4. The only solution is longer trains and that requires longer platforms. This problem would not be solved by reclassify DLR as "heav rail".

5. It's cheaper to build smaller tunnels and at the time when the tube was buildt to Heathrow in the 70's perhaps noone could forsee todays passenger numbers?

6. IMHO it's more important to remove the pracital differences as seen from the passengers perspective.
MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #5328
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottfried View Post
1. I remember, that there was a connection from the East London Line to Liverpool Street Station
Yes, though the intensive nature of the approaches meant that it wasn't used much after WW1.
Quote:
and a tunnel north of Whitechapel to Hackney (?)
No. There was one proposed in the 40s, taking over the slow tracks north of Bethnal Green, but it never amounted to anything more than a line on a map that had a lot of lines on, most of which haven't happened either.
Quote:
2. There are some closed lines, e.g. from the NLL to the docks (?) and a line under Greenwich Park (?) and some other rests of railways over in London, which are now built over by houses, etc., and have they lost the chance for reopening for ever?
The line(s) from the NLL to the docks mostly have DLR on them, though from Bow to Hackney Wick has been built on. The Greenwich Park route closed 99 years ago, because even today it would be completely pointless.
Quote:
3. Would it be an idea to reopen disused lines, what might be cheaper instead of building deep-level tunnels for Crossrails and an upcoming idea of a "Brighton Main Line 2"?
They almost all aren't in the right place, and there are so few of them that aren't built on.

There's a couple of freight lines that could have a useful passenger service (eg Hounslow - Old Oak Common - Hendon) and a few small curves that rebuilding might be useful, but most useful disused railway alignments have already been reclaimed, or will be soon.

The rubbish route of the London end of 'Brighton Main Line 2' is mostly just a way to use a fairly lengthy bit of disused railway alignment for no other reason than it's there and so they ought to use it and forget that it leads to nowhere and is half-built on by Tramlink.

Crossrails need to cross London to be worth it. There's some odds and ends within zone 1 (Charing Cross Jubilee line, Aldwych shuttle), but the only disused railway that crosses it is the Post Office Railway. And I doubt London commuters want to sit single file on crampt little trains!
Quote:
4. It is said, that DLR is a tramway-style and partially overcrowded, so that it would have the potential for a "heavy rail"-system, like London Overground?
DLR is not 'light rail' in the sense that it's a dinky railway (at least not now it isn't - 20 years ago it was). It's light rail in the sense that it uses tram vehicles to enable it to climb steeper hills and turn tighter corners than heavy rail vehicles could - because it needs them.

Given the DLR is 84m trains (equivalent to 4-car Overground trains) running with overlapping 6tph (off-peak)/7.5tph (peak) frequencies, there's nothing that Heavy Rail could do that it couldn't.
Quote:
a) because the Piccadilly line served Hounslow before the extension opened
b) because the Piccadilly line serves destinations more useful for tourists than the District line
c) because tunnelling smaller diameter tunnels in the 70s was significantly cheaper
d) because the District in central London loses a lot of trains to the Circle and Wimbledon routes - even if all District line trains via Hammersmith went to Heathrow, you would have less potential to send trains to Heathrow than if the Piccadilly, with only one other branch, went there.

1973 stock was designed with the Heathrow passenger and their luggage in mind, so the 'luggage!' comment you make was addressed from day 1. The issue is that it is long overdue resignalling and extra rolling stock in order to increase frequencies.

metroranger liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 03:39 PM   #5329
Nodara95
Georgian Moderator

Likes (Received): 5624

I wonder, wich CNG Bus can be bought with/Under 200 000 EUR. city bus... not coaches.
Old February 1st, 2016, 11:44 AM   #5330
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

How many level crossings are there on the tube network?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 02:53 PM   #5331
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
How many level crossings are there on the tube network?
Zero on public roads.

There's a few in depots with the private roads and paths serving the depot, and at least one with a public footpath*. Tubeman might be able to give you a more accurate answer there.

*though the one that I'm thinking of here is on the tube network, no tube train has run across it in years as it's between the end of electrification and Mantles Wood 'Junction' (where ownership hands over)
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #5332
Zaz965
Je suis kanonirsss

Likes (Received): 28040

Подробнее SPB.AIF.RU

realitybites-u, djole13, mrsmartman liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #5333
darkbytes

Likes (Received): 6

in general, how many safety mechanisms are there to prevent accidents, those being the driver getting distracted and going at a higher speed than necesary, or having a heart attack?
darkbytes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #5334
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

inside the cab , for "manual" drive, there is the dead man's switch which engage the emergency brake upon detecting no pressure to the control.
As for signal, there is the Automatic Train Protection (ATP), that would engage the brakes but it is able to be disabled (for main line, IIRC)
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016, 08:47 AM   #5335
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

Since some rail rapid transit lines will have two or more depots for their trains if they are really long (like, say, 30 km). How many stations and how long a distance does one metro line need to have in order for it to have more than just one depot?

P.S.: My last question in this thread (from January of 2015, about the disassembling and reconfiguring of a metro's trains) was unanswered.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube