daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #701
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro
At least it's no problem finding the Hammersmith stations, but I once got lost in the streets when I tried to change lines at Shepard's Bush.
The Shepherd's Bushes aren't marked as an interchange on the map and never have been, whereas Hammersmith is... In fact I don't even know if there's any signage directing between the two.

Soon White City platforms will open on the Hammersmith & City Line, so there will again be a true interchange between the two lines... This hasn't been the case since 1947 when Wood Lane was closed and White City opened on the Central Line.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #702
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Just like Paddington stations. Why do they connect (if I remember correctly), but are shown as two different stations in the map?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 04:05 PM   #703
Capzilla
robkaper.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
The Shepherd's Bushes aren't marked as an interchange on the map and never have been, whereas Hammersmith is... In fact I don't even know if there's any signage directing between the two.
There is, at least on the outside of the Central line building there is a sign saying "<--- 500m Shepherd's Bush (Hammersmith line)".
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #704
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Just like Paddington stations. Why do they connect (if I remember correctly), but are shown as two different stations in the map?
Its to discourage people from trying to change between the Hammersmith & City and the Circle / District / Bakerloo Lines there, as you basically have to walk the entire length of the mainline station and up / down several flights of stairs... taking at least 5 minutes. If no interchange is shown, hopefully people will take the hint and change at Edgware Road between the H&C and Cicrle / District Lines and Baker Street for the Bakerloo.
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #705
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

couldn't they show it like at King's Cross and Bank with exntended connections thingeys on the map?
Old July 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #706
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
couldn't they show it like at King's Cross and Bank with exntended connections thingeys on the map?
Not worth the effort really... The thing with Bank / Monument is that its the only opportunity to change between the District / Circle and the Northern (Bank Branch) and Waterloo & City Lines, with Paddington there are better interchanges available as already mentioned.
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #707
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3679

@Tubeman:
How long are platforms in London tube stations, please?

Thanks!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #708
fosters son

Likes (Received): 0

Tubeman,
Are there any plans to add the 13th line 'Chelsea-Hackey' in the future?
Cheers
fosters son no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #709
mr_storms

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitxofo
@Tubeman:
How long are platforms in London tube stations, please?

Thanks!
not sure, but I think its 400ft on central and victoria and 350ft on everything else
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #710
mrstar

Likes (Received): 0

Hey Tubey.

Okay so i'm traveling to say....Baker Street from Holloway Road.

If I change at Kings X from the Picidilly Line to the Circle Line..I beep my Osyter twice at Kings X, once to come out of the Picidilly line to the ticket hall then again to get into the Circle line from the ticket hall.

Am I being charged twice?

Ta
mrstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #711
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstar
Hey Tubey.

Okay so i'm traveling to say....Baker Street from Holloway Road.

If I change at Kings X from the Picidilly Line to the Circle Line..I beep my Osyter twice at Kings X, once to come out of the Picidilly line to the ticket hall then again to get into the Circle line from the ticket hall.

Am I being charged twice?

Ta

"No" is what the tube said. I tried that once and they sure didn't charge me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
Its to discourage people from trying to change between the Hammersmith & City and the Circle / District / Bakerloo Lines there, as you basically have to walk the entire length of the mainline station and up / down several flights of stairs... taking at least 5 minutes. If no interchange is shown, hopefully people will take the hint and change at Edgware Road between the H&C and Cicrle / District Lines and Baker Street for the Bakerloo.
Interesting. I think the Jubilee Line is quite far away too in Waterloo but I guess they can't omit that interchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
I've always wanted to sit down and draw a full London map in Visio or AutoCAD, including both the metro and city in one map, and including all the lines. Of cause, so far I've remained sane and have only entertained the idea in my head. I doubt I would ever start it - life is far too short.
Actually there is one but it's only accessible to people in certain professions such as urban planners. The AutoCAD file included everything and you could even drag buildings up and make it look 3-D.

----------------------------------------------------------
Now it's my turn to ask...
Why did it take so long to fix the Victorian Line cables? Having the whole line closed for ... 3 days(?) isn't a great thing for a world city like London.

Last edited by Rachmaninov; July 15th, 2006 at 12:58 AM.
Rachmaninov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #712
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I was thinking about the interchange thing too. I wonder what the longest interchange in a single station is. I'm thinking Waterloo? I think it's even longer than Bank-Monument!
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 07:17 AM   #713
Tubeman
Jubilation

Apologies for my silence for the past 2 weeks... I've been in Sri Lanka and the Maldives, just about to leave Male

If there's any unresolved questions when I get back to London tonight I'll endeavour to answer them!
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM   #714
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

This post is to revive this excellent thread.
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #715
spsmiler

Likes (Received): 2

Hi Tubey,

have you seen the prototype Victoria Line train on display outside Euston station?

I've just seen it and thought it was more "OK" than "wow".

I would have been happier to see the fully articulated / walk-through "space train" concept brought into fruition, and not the individual carriages with end doors etc which is being proposed.

Yes I understand why this is so - one of the erm "benefits" of privatisation!!!

simon
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:21 AM   #716
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmiler
Hi Tubey,

have you seen the prototype Victoria Line train on display outside Euston station?

I've just seen it and thought it was more "OK" than "wow".

I would have been happier to see the fully articulated / walk-through "space train" concept brought into fruition, and not the individual carriages with end doors etc which is being proposed.

Yes I understand why this is so - one of the erm "benefits" of privatisation!!!

simon
Laziness. Pure and simple...

The 'Space train' was an excellent concept; increasing headroom and capacity in a lower-floor articulated train. This 'Movia' stock is evidently going to be a 'one size fits all' car body design for the Victoria, Bakerloo, and Piccadilly Lines.

That being said I find the new stock more aesthetically pleasing than, for example, the 1995 or 1996 stocks... Although the slit-like saloon windows remind me of the C&SLR 'Padded Cells' of 116 years ago:

Ok, not quite
Old August 7th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #717
fishcatdogbird
* I BELIEVE YOU WINONA *

Likes (Received): 8

^ May have already been asked, but will the above have air-con?
fishcatdogbird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM   #718
jetsetwilly

Likes (Received): 352

Didn't they introduce trains with "slit" windows before, and they were colossally unpopular? I seem to remember reading that women especially were less keen as they couldn't properly who was in a carriage before they got on.
jetsetwilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #719
Boards
Cunty

Likes (Received): 636

Tubeman I haven't read through all 36 pages so apologies in advance if these questions have already been posed. How many stations are fully underground? Is Bank the largest underground station in the world? Thanks.
Boards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #720
Boards
Cunty

Likes (Received): 636

Tubeman I haven't read through all 36 pages so apologies in advance if these questions have already been posed. How many stations are fully underground? Is Bank the largest underground station in the world? Oh also, are there many stories of hauntings on the underground or even phantom trains? Any particularly commonly reported strange sights or sounds? Thanks.
Boards no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube