daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #741
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico_pastor
Can't you make a copy of the DVD's and send me by post mail? I can pay them and the delivery
...I'm asking you this because I'm addicted on the tube and LU is one of my passions...
Yeah no problem, PM me your address

I might even be able to get a 'proper' copy complete with sleeve and artwork from the guy who gave me mine... He might not have any more though. I think he was charging £10, but that was for charity so I don't mind paying it myself.

If not I'll make you a copy minus artwork and sleeve!

Check out my book too
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #742
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I was at Brent Cross today, around 2pm. The gates were left open. If I weren't so honest, I could've not punched out and not paid. Do you think the TfL loses a lot of money on this, and why do they not have staff at the station?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #743
Tubeman
Jubilation

As promised, here's some *exclusive* images of the S Stock:

[IMG]http://i8.************/24ffe4n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i8.************/24fff5y.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i8.************/24ffgqd.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #744
chico_pastor
A vida em movimento!MP :)

Likes (Received): 0

Many thanks Tubeman. I'll send you my address Check out your private messages box.
After reading the 37 pages of the thread, I've obviously seen the posts about your book and I ordered it yesterday from Amazon =)
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #745
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
I was at Brent Cross today, around 2pm. The gates were left open. If I weren't so honest, I could've not punched out and not paid. Do you think the TfL loses a lot of money on this, and why do they not have staff at the station?
Yes but unless you have open gates at both ends (which is highly unlikely) you'll end up with an unresolved journey, which will render your Oystercard unusable until you go to a ticket office, when the journey will be 'resolved' and the money docked.

There's no escaping the power of Oyster
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:17 AM   #746
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3679

Oh, thanks for the photos!

But it is NOT so tube...

Nice trains though.
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #747
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
If you're feeling really trainspottery, there's half a train of refurbished D Stock (the prototype) which uses an experimental 'lunar' flourescent lighting. Its casts an unnatural deathly glow over the whole carriage and makes everyone look undead or at best very ill. You'd know it if you saw it, as 3 of 6 cars only have been repainted on the outside, and only the middle of those three has been refurbished inside... that is the one with the evil lighting.
Hilarious, mind you it seems it might be frightening for some passengers.
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #748
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

^Great photos of the new S-Stock!

I think I've gone without touching out my Oyster, and the unresolved journeys have just resulted in paying the daily cap, I believe. The journey I was on, I guess, I could've gotten away with it (Brent Cross to Bank, DLR to Mudchute). But, it's true, there aren't many stations with open gates.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #749
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

Aw. So no articulation then? I was hoping for the 2 door articulated design I saw a sketch of ages ago. I guess its less practicle...

Good looking, the interior is the bigger challenge - I really hope they do a good job. The D Stock refurb has transformed my daily 20 minutes of district line. Amazing the difference a lick of paint can do. I think the doors look too narrow, but that could be the angle.
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:20 PM   #750
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Thanks for the new S-Stock renders. Doesn't look all that different to the current ones, with the exception of the 'bend'. Hopefully the inside is much more modern and the acceleration is improved and sound levels reduced.

As for the oyster capping issue, I've tapped in at only one end before and used my oyster card again. All it does is warn me that I need to go to the office every time I top up but I never have. Although on some occasions mine has exceeded the travelcard price, but other people who have done the same thing say it caps at 50p?
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #751
elkram
BANNED

Hi Tubeman,

I've had little luck finding fair enough pictures to answer the following question. It's about either Wapping or Rotherhithe station back in 1979 or 1980 that had a narrow, twisting iron staircase down a broad open-air shaft linking the station exit to the sunken platforms -- I can't remember which station. Is the staircase still in service, or has the station been remodelled?

Cheers,
Chris
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:50 AM   #752
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram
Hi Tubeman,

I've had little luck finding fair enough pictures to answer the following question. It's about either Wapping or Rotherhithe station back in 1979 or 1980 that had a narrow, twisting iron staircase down a broad open-air shaft linking the station exit to the sunken platforms -- I can't remember which station. Is the staircase still in service, or has the station been remodelled?

Cheers,
Chris
I really can't answer that, sorry

It might have been one of the original staircases from when the Brunel tunnel was still a footway? I'm not very familiar with the ELL.
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #753
JohnNotts

Likes (Received): 0

I used the ELL in the 1970's. My recollection is that Wapping station entrance was at the top of the original shaft, and that you could use those stairs as an alternative to the lift. Rotherhithe station was not at the top of the other shaft.

I read somewhere that those shafts were built as brick cylinders from ground upwards, and they then dug out the earth from inside - the cylinders sinking as they went.
JohnNotts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #754
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Great exclusive pics from you of the S-stock!
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:31 PM   #755
Tubeman
Jubilation

Some images of Brunel's maginifcent Thames Tunnel

Useless factoid... Puzzle your friends...

"What is the oldest part of London Underground?"

- Obviously most people would answer "Paddington to Farringdon, Metropolitan Railway 1863", but this structure pre-dates it by 20 years. To show what an achievement it was, it only came 7 years after the very first railway was opened in London.

Here's the staircases accessing one end (don't know which) of the tunnel:

Inside the tunnel...

..And once converted to a railway (opened 1869)

Old August 15th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #756
fishcatdogbird
* I BELIEVE YOU WINONA *

Likes (Received): 8

^ Its just fascinating what London achieved before all the other great cities in the world, truly amazing!

FCDB
fishcatdogbird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #757
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
Inside the tunnel...

Hmmm, if it were still a pedestrian tunnel today it would probably be a mugger's paradise, unless there was a heap of security measures in place...
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #758
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc
Hmmm, if it were still a pedestrian tunnel today it would probably be a mugger's paradise, unless there was a heap of security measures in place...
LOL I see what you mean. Its sheer serendipity that it was built with twin tunnels of the correct proportions to accommodate trains... It was intended to carry two road carriageways, but the ramps which would have afforded access to each end were never built due to lack of funds. It must have been bizarre for the 46 years that it was a pedestrian tunnel; descending a grand sweeping staircase to access the cavernous tunnels.

There are two surviving examples of pedestrian tunnels under The Thames, at Greenwich and Woolwich... They are of much more 'human' proportions (similar in diameter to a standard 'Tube' railway tunnel), but they are pretty eerie places

Woolwich (1912) 504m long

Greenwich (1902) 370m long

Old August 17th, 2006, 12:20 AM   #759
Kentigern
Local man

Likes (Received): 6

Are those tunnels accessible by the public?
Kentigern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #760
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentigern
Are those tunnels accessible by the public?
Absolutely, I've walked through both myself

They're hardly busy thoroughfares these days (Greenwich is now paralleled by the DLR between Island Gardens and Cutty Sark stations and Woolwich runs below the Woolwich free ferry) but they are very much still in operation.

Do any other cities have such long pedestrian tunnels as these?

Tags
london, railways, tube