daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #761
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Any floodgates (at the pedestrian tunnel exits)?
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #762
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
Absolutely, I've walked through both myself

They're hardly busy thoroughfares these days (Greenwich is now paralleled by the DLR between Island Gardens and Cutty Sark stations and Woolwich runs below the Woolwich free ferry) but they are very much still in operation.
Just carrying on from my previous post are these tunnels safe to use in terms of crime? In the photos of them I can't see any grafitti on any surface, which I find pretty amazing as I assume London would have its' share of vandalism like any big city these days. Perhaps the vandals can't be bothered going all the way down there.

Quote:
Do any other cities have such long pedestrian tunnels as these?
Here in Sydney we have the Devonshire Street Tunnel, a long pedestrian tunnel which runs from Chalmers Street, (where it meets Devonshire Street, hence its' name) Surry Hills, underneath all the railway tracks at Central Station, to an open air plaza on the eastern side of Railway Square. I'd say it's 200-300m long. Over the years lots of murals have been painted on sections of the walls in between tiled sections to help brighten it up a bit. After a short break at the plaza the tunnel continues on under Railway Square itself to its' western side, where it has been extended a short distance to another open air plaza occupying the old Darling Harbour Goods Line ROW (in behind the ABC TV and Radio studios) almost as far north as Ultimo Road.

Inside the Devonshire Street Tunnel:

Some underground stations in the Sydney CBD have pedestrian tunnels connecting them to surrounding areas e.g. St James, but they are not as long.

Last edited by Jean Luc; August 28th, 2006 at 12:13 PM.
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #763
Jean Luc
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Last edited by Jean Luc; August 17th, 2006 at 01:34 PM.
Jean Luc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #764
yako
Infidel

Likes (Received): 7

In Stockholm we have the 231m long Brunkeberg tunnel, pedestrianized (although you're allowed to ride a bike at caution) and a favourite spot for filmmakers.

Link to Wikipedia.
yako no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:12 PM   #765
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

Not a serious crime problem that I've heard of, and graffiti is very limited (helped by being tile so easy to clean)

I also can not recomend the tunnels enough when the heat picks up. It was blisfully cold down there during the heatwave.
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #766
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

That looks pretty cool/crazy in Stockholm. I must say I do like the Greenwich Foot Tunnel. Lots of tourists and locals use it. In the summer it stays very cool because it's underwater, which is a plus.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #767
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram
Any floodgates (at the pedestrian tunnel exits)?
Not that I'm aware of... They wouldn't have served much of a purpose really

The floodgates were installed on the Underground network because huge areas are below the level of The Thames, therefore a single tunnel breach anywhere during WW2 could have flooded miles of tunnels and drowned tens of thousands. If the roof of the Greenwich or Woolwich Foot tunnels had been breached the tunnels would have flooded, granted, but that would have been it. Tough luck for anyone in them at the time, but floodgates wouldn't have saved them anyway.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #768
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc
Just carrying on from my previous post are these tunnels safe to use in terms of crime? In the photos of them I can't see any grafitti on any surface, which I find pretty amazing as I assume London would have its' share of vandalism like any big city these days. Perhaps the vandals can't be bothered going all the way down there.

Here in Sydney we have the Devonshire Street Tunnel, a long pedestrian tunnel which runs from Chalmers Street, (where it meets Devonshire Street, hence its' name) Surry Hills, underneath all the railway tracks at Central Station, to an open air plaza on the eastern side of Railway Square. I'd say it's 200-300m long. Over the years lots of murals have been painted on sections of the walls in between tiled sections to help brighten it up a bit. After a short break at the plaza the tunnel continues on under Railway Square itself to its' western side, where it has been extended a short distance to another open air plaza occupying the old Darling Harbour Goods Line ROW (in behind the ABC TV and Radio studios) almost as far north as Ultimo Road.

Some underground stations in the Sydney CBD have pedestrian tunnels connecting them to surrounding areas e.g. St James, but they are not as long.
One advantage of the foot tunnels under The Thames is that they are simply round tunnels with no alcoves, i.e. no-one can jump out at you. They are quite eerie if you're alone, but they're probably no more dangerous than adjacent streets. I presume they're well covered by CCTV too.

As has already been mentioned, the ceramic tiles make for easy graffiti removal, plus CCTV coverage would be a discouragement.

Re: the tunnel in Sydney you mention... I think I've walked through it.
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #769
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 153

Tubeman, any hint of a date for when the waterloo and city line will open. Saying early spetember is a bit vague. It's killing me having it closed. How quick will the trip be now the improvements have been made?
Sy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:36 AM   #770
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy
Tubeman, any hint of a date for when the waterloo and city line will open. Saying early spetember is a bit vague. It's killing me having it closed. How quick will the trip be now the improvements have been made?
No, sorry... tfl are still simply saying 'September'

Its also fairly vague about improvements; you'll notice an improved ride quality due to new track, and it alludes to faster journey times, but I doubt an awful lot would be shaved off the current 4 minute run.
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:48 AM   #771
nothingman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

I have a few questions....

One....Earls Court...when is it going to be refurbished? It could be a beautiful station, but it needs a little work!

Two....am I the only one who loves the smell of the Underground (that musty smell)?

Three.....why is the District Line so clackety?

Four....are there any major extensions planned in the next few years?

Five.....what is your favorite station (mine is Bank)?

Six....how long have you worked for London Transport, do you enjoy it?

The Underground rocks!!!!!!!
nothingman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #772
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
No, sorry... tfl are still simply saying 'September'

Its also fairly vague about improvements; you'll notice an improved ride quality due to new track, and it alludes to faster journey times, but I doubt an awful lot would be shaved off the current 4 minute run.
Thanks for the reply, September is getting near, you think they'd have an idea by now.

I always enjoyed the ride quality on that line, the constant feeling that the train was going to derail made it fun...
Sy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:45 PM   #773
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman
I have a few questions....

One....Earls Court...when is it going to be refurbished? It could be a beautiful station, but it needs a little work!

Two....am I the only one who loves the smell of the Underground (that musty smell)?

Three.....why is the District Line so clackety?

Four....are there any major extensions planned in the next few years?

Five.....what is your favorite station (mine is Bank)?

Six....how long have you worked for London Transport, do you enjoy it?

The Underground rocks!!!!!!!
1) When were you last there... It just has been

Its magnificent now... Trust me (best pics I could find)

Before:

After:

...Note the new walkway and lifts to the District Line platforms; the station is now 100% wheelchair-accessible

The entire booking hall has been expanded and refurbished to its original glory, but I can't find any pics online

2) It does have a certain odour... Not unpleasant. The main ingredient is brake dust (what wears off brake pads during breaking)... It gives rise to most of the black tunnel dust and blue haze in the air, it has a very distinctive (but pleasant) smell... almost like incense!

3) Old track, pure and simple. Most weekends now large sections of the Underground are being closed down for track replacement; the old wooden sleepers, ancient ballast and old-fashioned 'bullhead' rails are being ripped out and being replaced by concrete sleepers, new ballast and flat-bottomed rail, giving a much smoother and quieter ride quality. Eventually the whole underground should give a ride akin to the Jubilee Line extension.

4) Yes, the East London Line is currently being extended north to Dalston with stops at Shoreditch High Street, Hoxton and Haggerston and in the south the New Cross Gate branch is being extended along the main line to Croydon stopping at all stations to West Croydon with a branch to Crystal Palace (2010). Phase II of the expansion will see extensions beyond Dalston to Highbury & islington (perhaps further), and in the south from Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction via Peckham, Clapham High Street and Wandsworth Road.

Also, Heathrow Terminal 5 station is due to open in 2008 on new branches off the existing Piccadilly Line and Heathrow Express.

The DLR is currently being extended beyond King George V to Woolwich Arsenal, and after November work will begin on a new route from Canning Town to Stratford International, with 3 completely new stations and 2 new interchange stations.

New stations are under construction at Langdon Park (DLR), White City (Hammersmith & City Line), and at Shepherds Bush and Imperial Wharf on the West London Line, plus the Eurostar London extension is to open next year... Quite a lot going on!

5) Earl's Court, but I'm biased

6) Almost 9 years, and I love it

1997 = Northern Line Guard (now defunct) at east Finchley
1998 = Northern Line Driver at East Finchley
1999 = District Line Driver at Parsons Green Depot
2001 = Duty Manager at Earl's Court
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM   #774
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy
Thanks for the reply, September is getting near, you think they'd have an idea by now.

I always enjoyed the ride quality on that line, the constant feeling that the train was going to derail made it fun...
Fun, wasn't it? Like Alton Towers
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:14 AM   #775
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

When will the Terminal 4 station reopen?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #776
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
When will the Terminal 4 station reopen?
Next month... Like the Waterloo & City Line I can't say precisely when in September...
Old August 19th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #777
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Likes (Received): 96

I notice you have three reviews on amazon's website, by an interesting mix of people.
Old August 21st, 2006, 04:42 PM   #778
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Actually, Tubeman, the exterior of Earl's Court station seems to look the same before and after the refurbishment.

One thing I don't really like about Earl's Court is the difficulty of crossing it from Earl's Court Road to Warwick Road. Sometimes when somebody went to a wrong direction, he'd be at a loss and don't know how to cross the station and get out on the other side except to walk back down to the platform.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:26 AM   #779
london-b
βAŇŇĘÐ

Likes (Received): 1345

I went from Heathrow to Kings Cross the other day, and I want to know why is the ride so bumpy?
london-b no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:24 AM   #780
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman
I notice you have three reviews on amazon's website, by an interesting mix of people.
Yes, that lunatic doka..dan, gothicform and a genuine one (i.e. someone who actually bought the book)

That's why the link isn't in my signature anymore... too much risk of disgruntled trolls writing rubbish. I complained about doka..dan's 'review' to Amazon, but its still there.

Tags
london, railways, tube