daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2006, 03:19 AM   #981
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

tubeman

what can you tell me about Straford Regional Station and if you want you can put pics of the Station i hear its near the olympic park and straford city i think anyways if its cool if i go to london maybe i can catch a beer and you can show me around where you work and well a tour actually of london

also about King's Cross thats where they filmed the Harry Potter movies if you read the books and such and it theres such thing as a hogwarts express i mean the real train where is it located at what deport just curious to see the train
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:15 PM   #982
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
Tubeman

i think london has many diverse Transportation modes is it like tokyo in that its very diverse in a way

i heared now that they changed the Channel Tunnel Rail Link to High Speed 1

do you think that there will be High Speed Rail in the UK outside of High Speed 1 Uk will be like Europe and Asia awsome
Depends on your definition of high speed rail... we've had speeds of 125mph / 200kmh on our trunk mainline routes for decades now (East Coast Mainline, West Coast mainline and Great Western Mainline) through the Intercity 125 (1976):

...And the short-lived APT (1981-150mph / 240kmh):

Today we have the Intercity 225 on the East Coast Mainline operating up to 140mph / 225kmh:

...And the Pendolinos on the West Coast mainline operating up to 140mph / 225kmh:

The Great Western Mainline still retains the IC125s, 30 years after their introduction

So we do have high-speed rail outside of the CTRL, but not as fast as TGV or Shinkansen
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:33 PM   #983
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
tubeman

what can you tell me about Straford Regional Station and if you want you can put pics of the Station i hear its near the olympic park and straford city i think anyways if its cool if i go to london maybe i can catch a beer and you can show me around where you work and well a tour actually of london

also about King's Cross thats where they filmed the Harry Potter movies if you read the books and such and it theres such thing as a hogwarts express i mean the real train where is it located at what deport just curious to see the train
This Wikipedia article is pretty good re: Stratford Regional station.

A nice photo showing the cross-platform interchange between Central Line and 'One' services out of Liverpool Street;

Central Line train emerging from the tunnel to call at the platform... The line rises up from deep-level tube to elevated level for the platforms before diving back down into tube tunnel:

The new station building, built for the Jub ilee Line extension in 1999:

Regarding the 'Hogwarts Express', it can be found on the 'North Yorkshire Moors Railway', one of the many dozens of preserved steam railways in the UK. It was originally a locomotive of the Great Western Railway and is actually named 'Olton Hall':

Platform 9 3/4 actually exists at King's Cross, complete with luggage trolley disappearing into the wall:

Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:21 PM   #984
AG

Likes (Received): 545

I've heard tons of stories about ghosts and the haunted on the Underground. What is the most interesting story you've heard? Have you had any experiences with them yourself?
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:28 AM   #985
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG View Post
I've heard tons of stories about ghosts and the haunted on the Underground. What is the most interesting story you've heard? Have you had any experiences with them yourself?
There was quite a good programme on BBC2 Halowe'en night about ghosts on the underground... A couple of stories were quite chilling.

One was a DMT (my grade) who was carrying out a night track walk (inspecting the track on foot... something I have the pleasure of doing) between Oval and Stockwell on the Northern Line. Its a very long stretch with a pumping station halfway between the stations. As he approached the pumping station he saw a light, and as he got closer came across a man with an old-fashioned oil lamp and no Hi-visibility clothing working alone. He engaged him in conversation and chatted to him before continuing south to Stockwell. When he phoned the Track Access Controller to say he was clear of the track from Stockwell platform, he asked whether the other man working on the pumping station had phoned to say he was clear of the track, as it was nearing start of traffic (when the current rails are re-energised and all work must stop)... The Track Access Controller had no idea what he was talking about, as no-one else was booked out onto that stretch of track that night. A full search was carried out by Supervisors walking from both ends of the section to the pumping station, and nobody was found. It transpired that a maintenance worker had stepped into the path of a train at the pumping station in the 1950's, and the style of lamp the man the DMT spoke to correlated with this era.

In the Jubilee Line tunnel in the St John's Wood area, night maintenance workers often hear footsteps following them in the ballast as they walk along the tunnel. One particular account was of a worker walking alone to Swiss Cottage station... He became aware of other footsteps besides his own and stopped, the other footsteps continued and got closer and closer, until as they passed him he could see the ballast actually being displaced by each ghostly footstep. He waited, frozen to the spot, until the footsteps petered off into the distance and turned on his heels and ran back to St John's Wood. Apparently a night track worker was killed by a runaway maintenance trolley in the area some years before when the line was still part of the Bakerloo Line.

Another story was recounted identically by two people on the programme, and sent a real chill up my spine as a former driver. They were drivers on the same line (I forget which one) and had both at different times been sat in their cabs in the same reversing siding in the days when we still had Guards. At various locations on the deep-level tube there are central reversing sidings between the running lines (e.g. Tooting Broadway, Archway, Wood Green etc), as a driver you'd detrain and shunt into the siding, change ends, and wait for the signal to depart and re-enter passenger service. In both instances the drivers and Guards had changed ends (i.e. walked the length of the train and therefore known it was empty except their colleague) and were sat in the cab waiting to depart. The communicating doors between cars are not meant for customer use and are heavy steel constructions, making quite a racket when they slam shut. In both cases the driver heard the communicating doors slamming shut from the rear of the train to the front, muffled and faint at first, but getting louder and louder as they got closer to the front car. Thinking it was their Guard, they opened the cab door only to find nobody and the communicating door swinging open... they immediately called the Guard on the cab-to-cab phone only to find them still at their position at the rear of the train making it a physical impossibility for them to have been opening and closing the doors... the Guards too had heard the bangs and presumed it was the driver walking back to them. The story goes a passenger had been overcarried into the siding by accident and paniced, falling between two cars and dying as they frantically ran up the length of the train using the communicating doors.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 02:28 AM   #986
Capzilla
robkaper.nl

I'd almost love to experience a ghost. Not a full body sighting at first please, but the more I hear about it the more I wonder why I never experience (or register) these things. I usually give those who do the benefit of the doubt though.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 08:19 PM   #987
Bob

Likes (Received): 12

Tubeman, do you reckon there is any chance that York Road could be re-opened?

For those who've not come across this it is a derelict station on the picadilly line closed in the first half of the 20th century.

IMO with all the development around the railway lands ( http://www.argentkingscross.com/frame.html and other developments on the periphery of this, such as the new Guardian newspaper HQ) I would have thought it might finaly make sense for a station to be here. I know some massive price tag of hundreds of millions would be attached to it, but really it is just a referb job isn't it?

ta
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #988
Tubeman
Jubilation

Re-opening of York Road is definitely a possibility in connection with the King's Cross redevelopment, I've certainly heard the idea mooted. Its probably as simple as dusting it down a little and splashing some paint around, but as it would technically be a 'new' station it would have to be DDA compliant (i.e. step-free) so some minor adjustments would be needed within (it would no doubt have only ever had a lift anyway).

On a completely unrelated note, we had real dramas at Earl's Court today: TWO people fell under an eastbound Piccadilly Line train at about 17:00, one died and one remains critically injured. As the platform became a crime scene there was no Piccadilly Line service between Hammersmith and Hyde Park Corner for the rest of today. I spoke to the driver of the train and he said it just looked like a bunch of youths mucking around: one barged another as the train came in, and as he lost his balance he grabbed another to steady himself and they both fell under.

However, it later emerged as being much more sinister: 4 black youths were trying to mug a fifth (chinese) youth and in the resulting scuffle the victim and one of the muggers ended up under the train. The absolute travesty of it all is that the mugging victim was the youth who died, and the mugger survived intact (unusually he has no amputations). His three accomplices were so shocked they just waited where they were until the police arrived and arrested them. Its all on CCTV footage... I hope all four of the bastards go down for manslaughter.

They're talking about suspending the Piccadilly Line service again tomorrow so the victim's family can lay flowers on the platform.
Old November 24th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #989
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post

Re-opening of York Road is definitely a possibility in connection with the King's Cross redevelopment, I've certainly heard the idea mooted. Its probably as simple as dusting it down a little and splashing some paint around, but as it would technically be a 'new' station it would have to be DDA compliant (i.e. step-free) so some minor adjustments would be needed within (it would no doubt have only ever had a lift anyway).

On a completely unrelated note, we had real dramas at Earl's Court today: TWO people fell under an eastbound Piccadilly Line train at about 17:00, one died and one remains critically injured. As the platform became a crime scene there was no Piccadilly Line service between Hammersmith and Hyde Park Corner for the rest of today. I spoke to the driver of the train and he said it just looked like a bunch of youths mucking around: one barged another as the train came in, and as he lost his balance he grabbed another to steady himself and they both fell under.

However, it later emerged as being much more sinister: 4 black youths were trying to mug a fifth (chinese) youth and in the resulting scuffle the victim and one of the muggers ended up under the train. The absolute travesty of it all is that the mugging victim was the youth who died, and the mugger survived intact (unusually he has no amputations). His three accomplices were so shocked they just waited where they were until the police arrived and arrested them. Its all on CCTV footage... I hope all four of the bastards go down for manslaughter.

They're talking about suspending the Piccadilly Line service again tomorrow so the victim's family can lay flowers on the platform.
The pricks who do these things are such utter morons it just defies comprehension. I hope they get life without parole.

Why don't London Underground install barriers on every platform, like the Jubilee Line extension? Surely it can't be that expensive.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #990
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
The pricks who do these things are such utter morons it just defies comprehension. I hope they get life without parole.

Why don't London Underground install barriers on every platform, like the Jubilee Line extension? Surely it can't be that expensive.
I think that was answered before. Something about high costs plus barriers would seal off the tunnel from the platform, trapping all the hot air from the tunnels inside the tunnel whereas now they would have had been allowed to partially escape via the stations.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #991
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

^ Also they can't be used on certain lines such as the Met because of the train alignment or something, so people could still be pushed at some stations and commit suicide on tracks.

Why on the line maps in Metropolitan Line trains does Uxbridge not mention the Piccadilly line and why do Chorleywood and Rickmansworth not have a national rail symbol next to them? Just old maps?
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 03:12 AM   #992
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRS View Post
^ Also they can't be used on certain lines such as the Met because of the train alignment or something, so people could still be pushed at some stations and commit suicide on tracks.

Why on the line maps in Metropolitan Line trains does Uxbridge not mention the Piccadilly line and why do Chorleywood and Rickmansworth not have a national rail symbol next to them? Just old maps?
Because you might be able to get on a Piccadilly at Uxbridge, Hillingdon and all the others, and get on national rail at Rickmansworth, but it's no interchange station. Where would you be coming from if you want to make an interchange at one of these stations?
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:48 AM   #993
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post

Risk assessments must have been carried out and it must have been decided that the huge expense is not worth the potential health & safety benefits.

Plus, many sections of route see more than one 'stock' of train, each with doors at different locations along the train, so PEDs cannot be installed.

People rarely (I presume) decide to kill themselves on the spur of the moment, they plan for it. Therefore unless all Tube platforms had PEDs a suicidal person would simply seek a platform that didn't have them. Even if every Tube platform had them, people would just go to the nearest Network Rail station instead.
Old November 27th, 2006, 02:55 AM   #994
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRS View Post

Line maps in trains only inform you of logical interchanges, not all possible interchanges. Therefore only Rayners Lane would be shown as a Piccadilly Line interchange, as if you wanted to travel to anywhere west of there you are, through being already sat on a Metropolitan Line train, not in need of a change to get there.

Likewise the District Line in-car maps only show Circle Line interchanges at Gloucester Road and Tower Hill and nowehere in between, because if you were going to change to the Circle Line you'd only do so at the aforementioned stations.

Ditto Network rail symbols are shown against Gunnersbury and Richmond but not Kew Gardens, because why would anyone need to change onto NR there? (the same presumably applies to Chorleywood and Rickmansworth... you'd only need to know about Amersham and Harrow-on-the-Hill being interchange locations).
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #995
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

I don't know if anybody had asked, but why is there a distinctive smell on the Central Line and Jubilee Line? One could tell which line he is on just by sniffing.
Old November 28th, 2006, 03:09 AM   #996
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
I don't know if anybody had asked, but why is there a distinctive smell on the Central Line and Jubilee Line? One could tell which line he is on just by sniffing.
LOL I sort of know what you mean... I suppose each line has its own particular cocktail of brakedust, cleaning agents and dankness. Certain types of train have particular odours, much like a car has a certain smell... I suppose from chemicals being exuded by plastic and paintwork.
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #997
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post

Further to the above, the mugging story is now probably not true, it appears the youths might have all known each other and (some?) were apprentices of QPR football club. The youth who was killed instantly (decapitated) was of Vietnamese origin, the second (Black) youth who fell under the train has now also died from his injuries. Three other youths have been arrested on suspicion of murder... Its all very bizarre.

There's a shrine below the clock on the main concourse with offerings such as cigarettes, beer, and a pineapple... A bit bizarre, but presumably a Vietnamese custom? There's also flowers thrown in the 'suicide pit' halfway along the eastbound Piccadilly Line platform, which are a poignant reminder of what happened there last Thursday.

As an aside, there's an article on me and my book in today's 'Metro' newspaper, its got a circulation of 1 million London which isn't bad going!
Old November 28th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #998
thestu80

Likes (Received): 0

Damn, just about to say I saw you in that! Good bit of publicity eh...
thestu80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #999
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Book?
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #1000
Smarty

Likes (Received): 2956

Congrats on the publicity for your book.

Any idea why the first branch of the ELL extension to get done is the one to Croydon - wouldn't it be more sensible to do the one to Clapham Jn first as that's more important surely from a strategic point of view.
Smarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube