daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #1041
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
Oh and the boss of Stagecoach is pretty notoriously homophobic having donated millions to a campaign to stop the scrapping of Section 28 - the trouble with private companies running services without competition is that you can't really protest against it's "moral" values.
I didn't know that... well in that case SWT are shit and their trains smell of wee
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #1042
KB

Likes (Received): 6846

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
To my knowledge I'm the only forumer in the Railway Industry

Anyone got any burning questions they've always wanted answered about London Underground?

In case you hadn't guessed from my username, I work for them... As a Manager of Train Drivers at Earl's Court, having formerly been a Driver and Guard myself.
What was your happiest and ugliest/saddest moment as a driver?
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #1043
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbboy View Post
What was your happiest and ugliest/saddest moment as a driver?
Hmmmm... Lots of happy days

Maybe days in the Summer when the sun's shining and I was driving with the cab doors open, a good train with nice acceleration and brakes, trundling across the River Thames at Chiswick or Putney with the warm breeze blowing through the cab, looking down at people having a lazy summer afternoon pint by the river and feeling glad to be alive. All my friends on duty that day, tooting the whistle and waving as we passed each other, maybe even a Spare driver to cover my last bit. Its hardly the sort of job where you're saving lives or curing world hunger, but every now and then you get a smile from a passenger or a compliment on nice PA announcements and it makes it all worthwhile

Bad days you're stuck in a signal failure or suicide, crawling signal to signal through The City, passengers giving you jip, no information from the Line Controller, and you were meant to meet someone for a drink half an hour ago and you're still stuck at Blackfriars

I had a few unpleasant incidents: I over-ran both Tufnell Park and Belsize Park by about 2 cars lengths when I was a newly qualified Northern Line driver (chalk it up to inexperience, tiredness and a taste for excessive speed), plus had a couple of 'SPADs' (Signals passed at danger), again for the aforementioned reasons.

probably the most unpleasant incident that wasn't self-inflicted was one afternoon when I was driving east through the badlands of Dagenham. I was merrily belting along at 70kmh when I saw the oncoming train wasn't moving and the driver was flashing his headlights at me (a danger signal). I slowed down and stopped level with him, and he said that there was an obstruction up ahead. I gingerly proceeded and found a scaffolding pole lain across the tracks under a footbridge (it was in the shadow of the footbridge on a bright sunny day, so I otherwise probably wouldn't have seen it until too late). I told the line controller who asked if I'd be prepared to move it if he switched off the Traction Current, to which I agreed. Just in case (never be too sure) I levered it up with a plank of wood and off the track, and just as I was getting back into my cab satisfied at a job well done, airgun pellets started pinging off the side of the train all around me, and a couple of windows shattered so I quickly retreated back into my cab and asked for current recharged and buggered off towards Dagenham Heathway.

The little ****ers had laid a Wild west style ambush for me! Fortunately I was alerted by the oncoming driver (otherwise I may well have derailed), and the bullets being shot at me missed, so in many way this was also actually a happy day because I received an employee commendation and £50 for my trouble
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:41 AM   #1044
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

yo tubeman

guess what man it was cool that in my university i used to subject the Channel Tunnel and Eurostar and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link in my powerpoint presentationin class and i showed my entire class two videos about it isn't it cool i am going to the university for Computer Animation because i like to draw manga and such so yeah but anyways

i want to ask you something man umm about what do you think of the new train cars for the Underground what do you think about it?

and well what do you think of London king cross how is the construction going on over there i hear alot of the construction over there?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #1045
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
yo tubeman

guess what man it was cool that in my university i used to subject the Channel Tunnel and Eurostar and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link in my powerpoint presentationin class and i showed my entire class two videos about it isn't it cool i am going to the university for Computer Animation because i like to draw manga and such so yeah but anyways

i want to ask you something man umm about what do you think of the new train cars for the Underground what do you think about it?

and well what do you think of London king cross how is the construction going on over there i hear alot of the construction over there?
The new trains look pretty smart... Looks like in maybe 20 years there will be only 2 basic stocks: Subsurface (S) and Tube (Movia). All of the SSR stocks (A, C & D) will be replaced by S Stock:

[img]http://i8.************/24ffe4n.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.************/24fff5y.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i8.************/24ffgqd.jpg [/img]

Movia (Tube) Stock, prototypes currently being built with a view to testing on the Victoria Line in the near future:

Teeny weeny photo of one of the actual prototypes from the Bombardier website (can't find any bigger)

Regarding King's Cross works are well underway: The Tube station works are pretty much complete, St Pancras Eurostar terminal is set to open next year, the new First Capital Connect (Thameslink) platforms are being built in under St Pancras, only really the revamping of King's Cross mainline terminal is yet to begin: All of the horrible additions to the front of the original station are being demolished and a new state of the art ticket hall is to be built on the side of the suburban station.
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #1046
jetsetwilly

Likes (Received): 352

What's going to happen to King's Cross Thameslink when St Pancras opens? Will they leave it as an additional ticket hall for the tube, or will it just be closed down completely?
jetsetwilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #1047
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetwilly View Post
What's going to happen to King's Cross Thameslink when St Pancras opens? Will they leave it as an additional ticket hall for the tube, or will it just be closed down completely?
Good question, I'm not sure. It would seem odd to close off a useful entrance to King's Cross Tube station which allows commuters to avoid several road crossings... Its certainly very handy for the Victoria Line but a bit of a hike for the Piccadilly and Northern Lines and an epic journey for the Circle / H&C / Metropolitan Lines. Perhaps the buildings will be scaled right back and a small DDA compliant street entrance built leading to the current subway through to the Tube platforms?

I'd be very surprised if the Pentonville Road exit was closed altogether, but I'm not entirely sure what the exact plans are.
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #1048
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Just double track. Don't be misled into thinking that the ELLE will see Mainline and Underground services sharing the same track: When the extension opens the entire ELL will essentially become part of the National Rail network, but governed by TFL (like the Silverlink services). Its part of a wider strategy by TFL to better integrate local London Mainline services into the wider transport network.

The station site at Haggerston only every had a single island platform with the other pair of lines non-stopping, so it would not be possible to have 4 tracks and all trains serving Haggerston. The same applies to Hoxton, the station site is not the same as the original Shoreditch station so at the location of the future station the viaduct is the width of 4 tracks and nothing more, i.e. 4 tracks could not be reinstated without leaving no room for the platforms.
So will the North London line use the same pair of tracks or am I getting myself really confused? And does the bit between Dalston Junction and almost shoreditch use the ole Broad street elevated arches route? And if so how does it get to the tunnel at the north end of the present ell?
Keep up the good work - have you ever thought on going on mastermind? I can see it now...... "on the up loop at slow crossover...(beeep)...I've started so I'll finish....on the up....."
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #1049
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfabyanos View Post
So will the North London line use the same pair of tracks or am I getting myself really confused? And does the bit between Dalston Junction and almost shoreditch use the ole Broad street elevated arches route? And if so how does it get to the tunnel at the north end of the present ell?
Keep up the good work - have you ever thought on going on mastermind? I can see it now...... "on the up loop at slow crossover...(beeep)...I've started so I'll finish....on the up....."
The current layout between Dalston Kingsland and Camden Road sees the two passenger tracks dual-electrified with 750V DC third rail and 25kv AC overhead lines and a parallel freight route with 25kv AC only, which varies between 1 and 2 tracks (I think it was singled for a section because of the cost of restoring the bridge at Caledonian Road). The ELL will share the passenger roads as far as I know... there's no issue with having to separate 'LUL' lines from mainline as by the time the extension opens the ELL will effectively be Network Rail.

The ELL extension will indeed re-use the abandoned Broad Street viaduct to a point just north of Great Eastern Street. It will swing sharply to the east and cross the southern end of Shoreditch High Street (where there will be a new station), and run along the abandoned Bishopsgate Goods Yard to where the approach roads crossed the Liverpool Street mainline. From here it will descend very sharply through the site of the old Shoreditch station (hence why its already been closed), and join the existing tunnel ELL at a point south of the original Shoreditch station. As you have already obviously deduced, it will be a very steep gradient.
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #1050
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

Cheers dude.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #1051
Tubeman
Jubilation

Nice new images of S Stock

Here
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #1052
Tubeman
Jubilation

We had no service on the Richmond Branch of the District Line all morning because thieves stole copper signalling cables at Gunnersbury!!!

Due to the steep rise in global copper prices, opportunistic thieves have been turning to Britain's railways and plundering signalling and even high-voltage power cables to sell as scrap. The pikey bastards did the same to the Central and Piccadilly Lines a couple of weeks ago, they even returned on two consecutive nights to North Acton and stole cable, wrecking the Central Line service for half of the week.

Old December 19th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #1053
Smarty

Likes (Received): 2956

Tubeman - I wonder, how many lines could the Underground have if all the existing lines were split into their constituent parts e.g. the seperate District Lines you referred to previously, Wimbledon - Edgeware Rd, and so on.
Smarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #1054
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
Tubeman - I wonder, how many lines could the Underground have if all the existing lines were split into their constituent parts e.g. the seperate District Lines you referred to previously, Wimbledon - Edgeware Rd, and so on.
I reckon you'd get another 12 lines based on off-peak service patterns...

District Line = 5

Wimbledon - Upminster
Wimbledon - Edgware Rd
Richmond - Upminster
Ealing Broadway - Tower Hill
Olympia - High St Kensington

Northern Line = 4

High Barnet / Mill Hill East - Morden via Bank
High Barnet / Mill Hill East - Kennington via Charing Cross
Edgware - Morden via Bank
Edgware - Kennington via Charing Cross

Metropolitan Line = 3

Amersham - Baker Street (+Chesham shuttle)
Watford - Aldgate
Uxbridge - Aldgate

Central Line = 3

West Ruislip - Epping
Ealing Broadway - Hainault via Newbury park
Woodford - Hainault

Piccadilly Line = 2

Uxbridge / Rayners Lane - Cockfosters
Heathrow - Cockfosters

The trouble is peak patterns do not follow these services, e.g. trains run direct from Upminster to Olympia and Ealing, or off the Chesham branch into London, or off the Hainault - Woodford loop into London, or via the Charing Cross branch to Morden, so separating them into separate lines might make the situation even more confusing. The bottom line is, even if the lines are split into their constituent sevice patterns on the Tube map, if they still all call at the same platforms and the trains all look the same it wouldn't be any less confusing to a tourist or Tube novice.
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:49 AM   #1055
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

This is perhaps slightly off topic, do you think that you would see London Transport re-affirm its commitment to trams beyond what exists in Croydon to other parts of the city?
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:00 AM   #1056
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Likes (Received): 415

Serious Question: How many miles/kilometers of rail does the UK have?

Why does the tubeman shave his head?

ELECTIONS 2008: WE ARE THE ELEMENTS OF CHANGE!
Har waqt hoon mein Pakistan ke liye..
UnitedPakistan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:12 AM   #1057
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQui View Post
This is perhaps slightly off topic, do you think that you would see London Transport re-affirm its commitment to trams beyond what exists in Croydon to other parts of the city?
Yes I think other tram schemes, as well as expansion of the Croydon Tramlink, are part of TFL's longer-term strategy. Two major schemes are under consideration: one along the Uxbridge Road from Shepherd's Bush to Uxbridge via Acton, Ealing, Southall etc and the other from Camden to Peckham utilising the abandoned Kingsway tram tunnel and crossing the Thames at Waterloo Bridge. The Croydon tramlink is also planned to expand to Sutton.

The former scheme in particular has met a lot of opposition from NIMBYs sadly, so I don't know how likely it is to come to fruition.
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:20 AM   #1058
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPakistan View Post
Serious Question: How many miles/kilometers of rail does the UK have?

Why does the tubeman shave his head?
London Underground = 408km
Network Rail = 32,000km*

I won't grace the second question with a response!

*I suspect this is km of actual tracks, not route km... sounds very high to be the latter

Last edited by Tubeman; December 21st, 2006 at 02:39 AM.
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:25 AM   #1059
UnitedPakistan
Musharraf Ka Danda!

Likes (Received): 415

Since I am now assuming that you have knowledge of most things about railways, I have a few questions regarding Pakistani railways.

First:
You probably are not informed of the Khyber railway but it was built for 6 million dollars by the British in fear of invasion of British India from the north. What I do not have information is on the locomotive they use on this track. I want to specifically know the details as well...

Second:
Pakistani railways is planning to build a bullet train from Islamabad to Lahore. I want to know how much it usually costs to put down such a system and how much on average the tickets are for such trains.<---use another country as an example for the pricing. I am doing a study into the feasability of this project.

ELECTIONS 2008: WE ARE THE ELEMENTS OF CHANGE!
Har waqt hoon mein Pakistan ke liye..
UnitedPakistan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:58 AM   #1060
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedPakistan View Post
Since I am now assuming that you have knowledge of most things about railways, I have a few questions regarding Pakistani railways.

First:
You probably are not informed of the Khyber railway but it was built for 6 million dollars by the British in fear of invasion of British India from the north. What I do not have information is on the locomotive they use on this track. I want to specifically know the details as well...

Second:
Pakistani railways is planning to build a bullet train from Islamabad to Lahore. I want to know how much it usually costs to put down such a system and how much on average the tickets are for such trains.<---use another country as an example for the pricing. I am doing a study into the feasability of this project.
Snooping around I found this page abount the Khyber Railway, seems pretty comprehensive regarding the history and engineering, but not an awful lot about the locomotives. It says due to axle loading only steam locos can operate on the route, and there are 3 locos, the oldest dating back to 1916 (!) and having been built in Leeds, UK.

Regarding cost of HST lines, hopefully this is fairly representative?...

TGV Mediterranee 2001, 250km, 3.8 billion Euros = 15.2 million Euros / km (!!!)

The CTRL between London and the Chunnel no doubt costs even more per km, as there are very long tunnels involved and fairly tricky topography.

The cost obviously depends on topography and land acquisition as well as labour costs... rest assured in Europe (and presumably Japan) these would be higher than in Pakistan.

Tags
london, railways, tube