daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #1141
Blindfold
I said love, I said pet

Likes (Received): 113

Tubeman, off topic sure but where did you go in Australia? Any pic thread you are gonna start? PM if you want.

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #1142
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Will the district line ever be looped from Richmond to Wimbledon via the SWT tracks providing the tube to Twickenham, Strawberry Hill, Teddington, New Malden, Raynes Park etc?

This was mooted by councillors in the Borough of Richmond and Kingston a few years ago... seems like a good idea to me - pretty cheap also id imagine.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #1143
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Is the Tube on course this year to beat the 976 million pax pa record set in 2004/5?
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #1144
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindfold View Post
Tubeman, off topic sure but where did you go in Australia? Any pic thread you are gonna start? PM if you want.
This time: Sydney (Partner's got 2 brothers there), Brisbane and Heron Island

On my 2 previous trips I've taken in Cairns (x2), Sydney (x2), Melbourne (x2), Alice Springs (+Red Centre), Perth, Lizard Island, Daintree rainforest (x2) and Live-aboard diving on the GBR.

I'll post pics when I can be arsed, there's millions of them!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #1145
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
Will the district line ever be looped from Richmond to Wimbledon via the SWT tracks providing the tube to Twickenham, Strawberry Hill, Teddington, New Malden, Raynes Park etc?

This was mooted by councillors in the Borough of Richmond and Kingston a few years ago... seems like a good idea to me - pretty cheap also id imagine.
Never say never, but probably no time soon.

TFL want to assume control of all of London's suburban rail (they're already starting to with Silverlink), so I forsee a future where there is much more connectivity between the SSR lines and suburban rail. Personally, I'd aim to convert all of the LUL lines to 3rd rail 750V DC (like the suburban lines) and re-establish connections before perhaps experimenting with different services.

The Richmond - Wimbledon via Kingston continuation of the District Line is a good example of the sort of service which could be laid on very easily. Other services could be an extension of the Olympia service north to Willesden Junction and beyond to Watford Junction, or from West Brompton south to Clapham Junction and beyond to Balham, Streatham etc via a new connection there.

If dual-electrified stock like the Silverlink or First capital connect trains are used then route options could be expanded yet further: Beyond Ealing Broadway to Heathrow or Windsor, or alternatively by re-establishing a connection at Royal Oak on the H&C line. C2C trains could run fast to a re-established Campbell Road junction (Bow) before joining the District line through the City.

There are so many exciting options which could be easily achieved if the SSR network and suburban lines became more compatible.
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #1146
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Is the Tube on course this year to beat the 976 million pax pa record set in 2004/5?
Apparently so
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #1147
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

^
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1148
Smarty

Likes (Received): 2956

Don't want this to get on page 2.

Tubeman - which lines are the most congested and which ones have most capacity ? I'd guess Northern for most congested and East London for least.
Smarty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #1149
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Victoria is way more congested than the Northern, even though the Northern has more passengers. The Victoria line is much shorter and doesn't have many stations, but is very crowded. And yes, the East London is the least congested one, for now, which will probably change once the extensions are in place.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:54 AM   #1150
thainotts

Likes (Received): 8

How do you measure congestion? Same as for population density?
"สมบัติชาติ" ถ้าคนไทยบริหารแล้วห่วยลงๆ สู้ขายให้นายทุนฝรั่งมาบริหารยังจะดีกว่า เขาจะเอาออกนอกประเทศก็ไม่ได้ แถมการแข่งขันในตลาดเสรีก็ช่วยพัฒนา "สมบัติ" นั้นๆ อีกด้วย ....​ อย่าให้คนไทยกันเองดอง "สมบัติชาติ" จนมันเน่าเลยดีกว่า
thainotts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:15 AM   #1151
sweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by thainotts View Post
How do you measure congestion? Same as for population density?
Number of passengers on the line split by the number of stations says a lot. The Victoria has a very high frequency, but so, so many trains are still very packed.

In a way it's "too good", with long distances between the stations and cross-platform transfers, and all but one station being an interchange.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:57 AM   #1152
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
Don't want this to get on page 2.

Tubeman - which lines are the most congested and which ones have most capacity ? I'd guess Northern for most congested and East London for least.
I suppose its debateable... Congestion should really be measured in terms of passengers per car per hour, so I suspect that a tiny line like the Waterloo & City could be considered pretty congested despite not carrying anywhere near as many passengers as larger lines.

The Northern Line carries the most passengers per day (around 700,000 I think?) but this doesn't necessarily make it the most congested... Its a matter of how these passengers are distributed across the line and during the day. I seem to recall seeing a tube map a very long time ago with the most heavily used stretches highlighted, I think Victoria to Green park on the Victoria Line and Bank to Liverpool Street on the Central Line are the two 'worst'.

In terms of capacity I'd say probably the Central Line section between North Acton and Leytonstone, as every train is 8 cars and with the modern ATO/ATP systems theoretically a higher frequency is possible than lines with traditional signalling, I don't think this capacity is fully exploited however. The Victoria Line probably does the best job of combining potential capacity with actual usage of it though, although I have noticed anecdotally that peak services seem to be more frequent on the Piccadilly Line than on the Victoria Line, possibly due to availability of rolling stock.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM   #1153
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Apparently we just recorded our first 4 million+ day, so I presume we're well on course to smash the 1 billion / year record.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 01:17 AM   #1154
Minato ku

Per average passengers per station, Victoria line is the busiest Tube line.

4 million+ a day not bad. When it was ? a special day or a normal workday ?
One million more and Tube will beat Paris metro (indeed per average worday)
It is sure Tube will smash the billion.

An other question. It will be a real record for the Tube or the record after the WWII like Paris metro ?
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:07 AM   #1155
sweek

The TfL website also has these interesting statistics on the busiest sections...

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/using/use...iest-lines.asp
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:53 AM   #1156
HasanB

Likes (Received): 47

Are there any plans to replace the trains on the district line? is so then by when, cos the trains on there were fairly poor....especially the ones that are completely white from the outside and have this wooden sort of flooring from the inside...i was quite surprised to see this stock still being used. The other type of train used on this line is the one which sports the normal red and white paint job...these ones are not so bad.

so yeah, any plans to update this line to bring it on par with say...the northern line for example?

HasanB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 05:53 PM   #1157
sweek

S-Stock will replace the current district line trains, and indeed the trains on all the other surface lines except for the East London Line.
This will happen between 2009 and 2015, starting with the Metropolitan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_S_Stock
http://www.metronetrail.com/default....=1088068912937 for pictures
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM   #1158
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasanB View Post
Are there any plans to replace the trains on the district line? is so then by when, cos the trains on there were fairly poor....especially the ones that are completely white from the outside and have this wooden sort of flooring from the inside...i was quite surprised to see this stock still being used. The other type of train used on this line is the one which sports the normal red and white paint job...these ones are not so bad.
Both those types are in fact D Stock; it's just that some (the painted ones) have been refurbished.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1159
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasanB View Post

so yeah, any plans to update this line to bring it on par with say...the northern line for example?
Unless you're talking about the C Stock (Edgware Road to Wimbledon service) then you're actually talking about the same trains, the D78 fleet is roughly halfway through the process of refurbishment, so half have unpainted aluminium bodies and wooden floors and the other half are painted in corportate livery, have door chimes and dot matrix displays as well as vinyl flooring.

They will all be replaced by S Stock in 20?? (take you pick!) as already mentioned. The unreliable C Stocks will go first from the District Line (following the ancient early-1960's A Stock from the Metropolitan Line), with the by then fully refurbished fleet of D Stocks going last. I reckon they'll be with us for another 10 years at least... bloody good thing too; they're the most reliable trains on LUL.

Unrefurbished D78 Stock at Olympia (early 1980's vintage)

Interior;

Refurb:

Interior;

Side by side at Richmond;

The other District Line stock, the C69 / C77 stock (built in two batches in the 1970's), refurbished in the early 1990's;

Distinguished from D Stocks through having double sets of doors as opposed to the single-leaf doors of the D Stock
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:33 PM   #1160
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku View Post
Per average passengers per station, Victoria line is the busiest Tube line.

4 million+ a day not bad. When it was ? a special day or a normal workday ?
One million more and Tube will beat Paris metro (indeed per average worday)
It is sure Tube will smash the billion.

An other question. It will be a real record for the Tube or the record after the WWII like Paris metro ?
A normal workday a couple of weeks ago I believe

I think its a real record too, the Tube was very heavily used in the 1930's (capacity was higher than it is now on many lines) but don't forget in the 1930's there was no Victoria or Jubilee lines and many other lines were shorter (e.g. the Central Line was only Wood Lane to Bank).

Tags
london, railways, tube