daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:43 PM   #1161
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,759

Thank you

It because
In 2005 Paris metro was 1,375 million passengers The number of 2006 break the 2005 number but we don't have data yet.
It is the highest number since the end of 1940's.
The record for Paris metro was in 1946 with 1,598 million pax.

New Tube train will have LCD screen ?
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:51 AM   #1162
jetsetwilly
Registered User
 
jetsetwilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 815
Likes (Received): 352

It's great that the Tube is getting investment, and new trains and so on, but... I love the wooden floored District Line trains. Sad to see them vinyl'd over...
jetsetwilly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:47 AM   #1163
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku View Post
Thank you

It because
In 2005 Paris metro was 1,375 million passengers The number of 2006 break the 2005 number but we don't have data yet.
It is the highest number since the end of 1940's.
The record for Paris metro was in 1946 with 1,598 million pax.

New Tube train will have LCD screen ?
Well I suppose that graphically illustrates the difference in the two cities' fortunes during WW2: 1946 probably saw one of the lowest London riderships and at the same time Paris' highest!

Ridership figures are probably quite poor comparisons between cities I suppose, as they record individual journies so it follows that a city with a higher density of closely-spaced stations like Paris will see more short hop journies within the city whereas London will see fewer, but longer, journies. I wonder what the comparison would be like if expressed in terms of passenger km / year?

I'm unsure if the S Stock will boast LCD screens, but I wouldn't be surprised as many newer buses have them. They're a complete waste of money in my opinion, though... all I ever see on the bus ones is CCTV footage from inside the bus or bus driver recruitment adverts. Scrolling dot matrices are present on the Northern, Jubilee, Piccadilly and now D Stock refurb trains and to be honest give all the necessary information for the hard of hearing / those listening to music. Showing live footage of CCTV from within the car may well be a good deterrent against antisocial behaviour, though... so LCDs may have their uses.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:52 AM   #1164
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetwilly View Post
It's great that the Tube is getting investment, and new trains and so on, but... I love the wooden floored District Line trains. Sad to see them vinyl'd over...
Yes 2 features of 'old' underground trains which will soon disappear with the D Stock refurb, the wooden flooring and the grab straps (for want of a better name)... the curious plastic balls on the ends of springs which have been removed to make impromptu offensive weapons for decades (dangling from the car roof).



I have one hived away along with a full set of 1959 Stock keys (Driver's and Guard's), and other memorabilia such as old Duty books from the Northern Line and my old name badges and ties.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:06 AM   #1165
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,759

It is right
Paris bus are not as competive than London bus
It is 1.7 billion passenger for London bus and 1 billion for RATP bus (Only 400 million within Inner Paris)

I calculated Porte d'Orleans at Denfert rochereau in bus and in subway.

Bus 4 stops 1.5 km : 15 min at 1 hour in rush hours. frequency : all 5 min but always in late because the traffic
Metro 4 stations 1.5 km : 5 min frequency : every 90s

Thats why metro is more competive than bus.
but bus have some aventage
These are more recent (less than 5 years for bus but 40 years for this line of subway) It has air conditioned and it is wheel chairs friendly.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:33 AM   #1166
Songoten2554
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 87

yo Tubeman welcome back i want to know something??

i find it werid but i don't know if this is true or not that they say Seven Tunnel can't be electrifyed or something is it true or not why isn't the whole great western main line electrifyed???
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM   #1167
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
yo Tubeman welcome back i want to know something??

i find it werid but i don't know if this is true or not that they say Seven Tunnel can't be electrifyed or something is it true or not why isn't the whole great western main line electrifyed???
I've not heard that, but it may well be true... perhaps the clearance above trains is too small to fit in the OLE (overhead line equipment) through the Severn Tunnel? This in turn would make full 25kv AC electrification of the GWR main line impossible as the Severn Tunnel is an integral part of it (being the sole direct link between England and South Wales). Perhaps the Paddington to Wales trains could remain diesel while the other arms of the GWR main line (into The West Country, Devon and Cornwall) could be electrified? This would at least reduce the amount of diesel fumes in Brunel's magnificent Paddington station, which i think seriously detracts from it.

The main issue with this is the stunning stretch of railway between Exeter and Plymouth: it skirts the sea for miles, often taking a battering with huge waves during storms... I don't think 25kv AC OLE and seawater would mix very well!

Impromptu train wash as Dawlish, Devon:



Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM   #1168
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by minato ku View Post
It is right
Paris bus are not as competive than London bus
It is 1.7 billion passenger for London bus and 1 billion for RATP bus (Only 400 million within Inner Paris)

I calculated Porte d'Orleans at Denfert rochereau in bus and in subway.

Bus 4 stops 1.5 km : 15 min at 1 hour in rush hours. frequency : all 5 min but always in late because the traffic
Metro 4 stations 1.5 km : 5 min frequency : every 90s

Thats why metro is more competive than bus.
but bus have some aventage
These are more recent (less than 5 years for bus but 40 years for this line of subway) It has air conditioned and it is wheel chairs friendly.
I wish our new buses were A/C

We spend billions on new Mercedes 'bendy' buses (which I'm sure would be built with A/C as standard), and yet they have no A/C... a false economy if ever I saw one. You can't even open up loads of windows like you could on the routemaster.

I would say the in Central London the buses perform some of the functions of the Metro in Paris, i.e. short hops, as the Tube stations are generally far more widely spaced than Paris' Metro stations. I have no idea how bus usership is being accurately measured any more, as the 'Bendy' buses are dubbed 'The Free Bus' and the majority of passengers do not touch in with their Oyster cards (if they even have them). For this reason I'm sure the usership of buses is being grossly under-measured now.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1169
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
the majority of passengers do not touch in with their Oyster cards (if they even have them). For this reason I'm sure the usership of buses is being grossly under-measured now.
We have the same problem with Navigo card (Contactless card) and Orange card can't be composted.
It is less frequent now RATP are reforced controls.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:50 PM   #1170
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

You should see the stampede off 'Bendies' when the inspectors get on... I've literally seen a packed bus become empty in a matter of seconds before!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #1171
HasanB
Registered User
 
HasanB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 637
Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Unless you're talking about the C Stock (Edgware Road to Wimbledon service) then you're actually talking about the same trains, the D78 fleet is roughly halfway through the process of refurbishment, so half have unpainted aluminium bodies and wooden floors and the other half are painted in corportate livery, have door chimes and dot matrix displays as well as vinyl flooring.

They will all be replaced by S Stock in 20?? (take you pick!) as already mentioned. The unreliable C Stocks will go first from the District Line (following the ancient early-1960's A Stock from the Metropolitan Line), with the by then fully refurbished fleet of D Stocks going last. I reckon they'll be with us for another 10 years at least... bloody good thing too; they're the most reliable trains on LUL.
Cheers for the info there, the refurbed trains were of a pretty good standard i felt. Interesting point you make about the D stock being the most reliable trains, cos i had the 'pleasure' of having to get to kings cross from elm park right in the middle of the travel chaos caused by the snowfall in london recently...The district line seemed to be pretty much the only line which had good service on that day.

So i ended up getting stranded at aldgate east, before deciding to go onto monument and take the northern line from bank to kings cross, i just got there in the nick of time aswell. Anyway the S stock is looking quite impressive there.
__________________
MEHFIL PAKISTAN

HasanB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #1172
Songoten2554
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 87

tubeman

you mean that there will be no electrified tracks on the Great Western Main Line but if they can they can put it up to a city that diesals or Bio dieasl can take over or something like that where do you think it can go and where it can be electrifyed at if you can put up pics or something that you think where it can, videos are good too

and Paddington is it a good station or not?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #1173
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasanB View Post
Cheers for the info there, the refurbed trains were of a pretty good standard i felt. Interesting point you make about the D stock being the most reliable trains, cos i had the 'pleasure' of having to get to kings cross from elm park right in the middle of the travel chaos caused by the snowfall in london recently...The district line seemed to be pretty much the only line which had good service on that day.

So i ended up getting stranded at aldgate east, before deciding to go onto monument and take the northern line from bank to kings cross, i just got there in the nick of time aswell. Anyway the S stock is looking quite impressive there.
Yeah I was on duty that day and happily sat there watching the entire network fall to bits except the District Line... It made a pleasant change

To be honest it was more because the heaviest snowfall was across North-west and North London, so the Metropolitan, Central, Piccadilly, Northern, and Jubilee lines bore the brunt of the disruption.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:27 AM   #1174
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
tubeman

you mean that there will be no electrified tracks on the Great Western Main Line but if they can they can put it up to a city that diesals or Bio dieasl can take over or something like that where do you think it can go and where it can be electrifyed at if you can put up pics or something that you think where it can, videos are good too

and Paddington is it a good station or not?
The Great Western mainline could certainly be electrified beyond the current extent of Heathrow Airport Junction as far as Exeter, Birmingham and Bristol (i.e. including Slough, Reading, Oxford and Swindon). As I already mentioned I am dubious about the Exeter - Plymouth section due to the proximity to the sea between Newton Abbott and Dawlish and the danger of 25kv AC power lines with waves breaking over them, and if what you say about the Severn Tunnel is correct then this precludes South Wales too.

Even so, the only services that would remain diesel-hauled would be the services to Cornwall and South Wales, and even these could see a loco change at Plymouth and The Severn Tunnel if appropriate allowing Paddington to become diesel-free.

Paddington station is magnificent, the finest terminus in London if not the UK in my opinion... The new St Pancras will probably eclipse Paddington when it opens later this year though:







Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #1175
Songoten2554
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 87

tubeman

so the only electric trains using the paddington station is the heathrow express and connect or is there others as well???

oh ok tubeman you know your stuffs i guess so any news on the CTRL or any railway news so far and how is it going with the expansions of the Docklands Light Railway???
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #1176
Songoten2554
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 87

paddington looks beautiful looks like a cathedral wow thanks tubeman
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #1177
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
tubeman

so the only electric trains using the paddington station is the heathrow express and connect or is there others as well???

oh ok tubeman you know your stuffs i guess so any news on the CTRL or any railway news so far and how is it going with the expansions of the Docklands Light Railway???
Yes, that's correct, the only electric services into Paddington mainline station are the Heathrow Express / Connect trains, but all 6 tracks approaching the terminus (becoming 4 west of Old Oak Common) are electrified. In a way there is another electric service: the Hammersmith & City Line runs into the terminus (on the northern side) before entering the tunnel to Edgware Road, but these platforms along with the local Thames trains platforms alongside are outside of the main Brunel trainshed roof (which is made of a main span flanked by 2 smaller spans, with a later addition on the north side, intercepted by two north-south 'transepts'... very cathedral-like!).

Brunel's roof is detracted from by years of grime from first steam then diesel trains... the ironwork and glass has a brownish tinge to it. What I would love to see is an end to diesels under the roof followed by a clean-up and paint job of the roof... I believe the results would be awesome.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #1178
pricemazda
Titter ye not.
 
pricemazda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: EU
Posts: 17,642
Likes (Received): 1384

Well they cleaned/replaced the glass roof at Waterloo, and have done at St Pancras, surely Paddington has to be on the agenda.

In fact the fact the GWL isn't electric is a bit of a scandal. Couldn't they switched to third rail in the tunnel?
__________________
In Brussels no one hears you scream
pricemazda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #1179
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda View Post
Well they cleaned/replaced the glass roof at Waterloo, and have done at St Pancras, surely Paddington has to be on the agenda.

In fact the fact the GWL isn't electric is a bit of a scandal. Couldn't they switched to third rail in the tunnel?
No reason why not, unless its prone to flooding... we could see dual-electrified HST stock like the current Eurostars, although it might be deemed overkill having a fleet of trains with current collection shoes just for the sake of a short section of tunnel.

Perhaps the current Eurostar fleet could retire to the GWR routes through the Severn Tunnel? This would allow a new generation of TGVs to be introduced on the Chunnel routes... Just a thought. The GWR main line can't remain unelectrified forever!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #1180
Songoten2554
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 87

umm tubeman any new rail news like any news on the CTRL or any railway news so far and how is it going with the expansions of the Docklands Light Railway???

and if you do do you have new pics of the CTRL and other new rail things going on it includes airplanes and buses as well

also i heard of what happened on the railway with the virgin train i am so sorry tubeman is everything ok overthere i hope your country will be ok i saw it on the news and man the wreckage looks bad please forgive me everybody here
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
london, railways, tube

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium