daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:30 AM   #1361
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara View Post
Tubeman - long time listener first time caller...

Do you think there's any prospect of a new traditional tube lines to a place not already on the network (Inner south east London, Hackney etc.) being proposed or do you think this perceived shift to 'mainline underground' will mean places like Peckham are just going to have to do without?
No, I don't think so. At best maybe a short extension of an existing line, e.g. Bakerloo to Walworth / Camberwell / Peckham.

Cross River transit (trams) is projected to serve Peckham, while Crossrail 2 is supposed to serve Hackney, but that's hardly going to happen any time soon.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:36 AM   #1362
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
No, I don't think so. At best maybe a short extension of an existing line, e.g. Bakerloo to Walworth / Camberwell / Peckham.

Cross River transit (trams) is projected to serve Peckham, while Crossrail 2 is supposed to serve Hackney, but that's hardly going to happen any time soon.
It's a bloody shame that everything will soon become trams and boring main line tunnels...

What's your favourite line and station on the tube?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:03 AM   #1363
iampuking

When will they renovate Shepherd's Bush station, right now it looks like a grannies' jumper. And why does Great Portland Street have lovely brickwork until the eastern end of the platforms when there are 'orrible skin coloured panels there instead.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:59 PM   #1364
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
It's a bloody shame that everything will soon become trams and boring main line tunnels...

What's your favourite line and station on the tube?
District / Earl's Court... But I'm biased as I've worked there for 8 years first as a driver then Duty Manager. I like the District's variety of branches and its idiosyncracies like having 2 stocks of train, running over Network rail and crossing over the Thames (the only line to do so, and twice). I loved the way at one end you're passing million pound houses in Richmond and Putney and at the other passing through some of the most deprived areas of the UK in Bow, Barking and Dagenham.

Earl's Court is a magnificent station... the closest to the feel of a 'proper' mainline terminus on the Underground with its trainshed roof enclosing 4 bustling platforms... I love the sheer volume of people pouring through there during the peak. What with the Earl's Court and Olympia exhibition centres and Chelsea FC there's never a quiet moment there: truly 'The Crewe of the Underground'.

Sadly I leave the line and Earl's Court station behind in about a month... I'll really miss them...

...But the good news is I found out today I've been promoted to 'Train Operations Manager' of Elephant & Castle Depot on the Bakerloo Line, so in short I'm managing the entire depot with 100+ staff and a budget of millions all to myself

Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:02 PM   #1365
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
When will they renovate Shepherd's Bush station, right now it looks like a grannies' jumper. And why does Great Portland Street have lovely brickwork until the eastern end of the platforms when there are 'orrible skin coloured panels there instead.
H&C or Central?

GPS's panels are fixed over the top of the listed brickwork, there is a reason why, but I forget... I think it might be constant water ingress through the brickwork (i.e. without the panels you'd see sludge and slime dripping down the brickwork).
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:16 PM   #1366
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

Congrads Tubeman on your promotion. Will there be large renovations at Elephant & Castle when the new shopping mall is built?
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:13 PM   #1367
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme View Post
Congrads Tubeman on your promotion. Will there be large renovations at Elephant & Castle when the new shopping mall is built?

**** knows... To be blunt you probably know as much about the station as I do!

Oh well... a change is as good as a rest!
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:17 PM   #1368
relāmpago
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

So you actually drive a train?
relāmpago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:19 PM   #1369
mrstar

Likes (Received): 0

Shit that's amazing Tubey.

Couldn't happen to a more top bloke!
mrstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:16 PM   #1370
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Sadly I leave the line and Earl's Court station behind in about a month... I'll really miss them...

...But the good news is I found out today I've been promoted to 'Train Operations Manager' of Elephant & Castle Depot on the Bakerloo Line, so in short I'm managing the entire depot with 100+ staff and a budget of millions all to myself

Many congrats Tubey!
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:06 AM   #1371
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by relāmpago View Post
So you actually drive a train?
I used to... My career:

1997-1998: Guard, East Finchley, Northern Line
1998-1999: Driver, East Finchley, Northern Line
1999-2001: Driver, Parson's Green, District Line
2001-2007: Duty Manager Trains, Earl's Court, District Line
2007-? : Train Operations Manager, Elephant & Castle, Bakerloo Line
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:35 AM   #1372
iampuking

Quote:
H&C or Central?

GPS's panels are fixed over the top of the listed brickwork, there is a reason why, but I forget... I think it might be constant water ingress through the brickwork (i.e. without the panels you'd see sludge and slime dripping down the brickwork).
Central line station, even though it's rather ugly, I still think it's good to have a variety of different styles, and that includes ugly. It represents London well I think, because one minute you see lovely old buildings, and then next minute you see Guy's Hospital or some high-rise council estate.

Also, why does LU operate on four rails? According to wikipedia, it's because the cast iron tunnels could be corroded by electrosys if there were three rails instead, I don't really understand this tbh, could you help me out? What other networks operate with four rails?

Another question... Since you don't mind ... I was wondering if the Waterloo & City line had slightly different stock to the Central line, it seems to make a slightly different accelerating noise, maybe i'm a bit mad, or listening to intently but i'm pretty sure it does!

Also, I went on the refurbed D Stocks today, they're really nice! Since the train isn't a tube-stock it gives the designers more scope to make the decor darker... It looks really cool! What do you think?

And congrats on your promotion btw! What does your job involve?

Last edited by iampuking; May 3rd, 2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:25 AM   #1373
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
I used to... My career:

1997-1998: Guard, East Finchley, Northern Line
1998-1999: Driver, East Finchley, Northern Line
1999-2001: Driver, Parson's Green, District Line
2001-2007: Duty Manager Trains, Earl's Court, District Line
2007-? : Train Operations Manager, Elephant & Castle, Bakerloo Line
Maybe this has already been asked, but I'm too lazy to look it up~ What were the requirements for you to work for the Underground? Did you have to get some sort of qualification?
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM   #1374
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Central line station, even though it's rather ugly, I still think it's good to have a variety of different styles, and that includes ugly. It represents London well I think, because one minute you see lovely old buildings, and then next minute you see Guy's Hospital or some high-rise council estate.

Also, why does LU operate on four rails? According to wikipedia, it's because the cast iron tunnels could be corroded by electrosys if there were three rails instead, I don't really understand this tbh, could you help me out? What other networks operate with four rails?

Another question... Since you don't mind ... I was wondering if the Waterloo & City line had slightly different stock to the Central line, it seems to make a slightly different accelerating noise, maybe i'm a bit mad, or listening to intently but i'm pretty sure it does!

Also, I went on the refurbed D Stocks today, they're really nice! Since the train isn't a tube-stock it gives the designers more scope to make the decor darker... It looks really cool! What do you think?

And congrats on your promotion btw! What does your job involve?
I think the Central Line station at Shepherd's Bush is going to be refurbished as part of the wider works to build the interchange with the new West London Line (mainline) station above (platforms currently under construction), which is all linked to the vast Westfield shopping complex being built in White City.

The 4 Rail system was chosen due to corrosion concerns resulting from a single current rail, but what the exact mechanism of this corrosion is I don't really know. The Central Line at least, when first opened, had a single central current rail... perhaps the City & South London did too... maybe it was from the experience of these two lines that it was discovered better to have the two current rails currently used.

I seem to recall the Waterloo & City Line used a single current rail with 750V DC (i.e. exactly the same as the Southern Region mainline) right up until transfer to LUL, but unusually the track was laid on ballast with wooden sleepers which might have had something to do with it.

Regarding the W&C as far as I'm aware the trains are the same as the Central Line 1992 Stock but are marginally smaller (smaller tunnels), the difference might be due to the fact that the W&C is manual whilst the Central is ATO.

The D Stock refurbs do look nice... a great improvement!

My new job entails being the boss of Elephant & Castle Depot: I will be the employing Manager of 100 drivers, 10 Duty Managers, Admin Staff, landlord of half the Bakerloo line and controlling a budget of millions (not that I can chose where much of it goes!)
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:55 PM   #1375
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Maybe this has already been asked, but I'm too lazy to look it up~ What were the requirements for you to work for the Underground? Did you have to get some sort of qualification?
Technically nothing... When I applied for Guard the only requirement was numeracy, literacy and an element of understanding basic mechanics... But all these were assessed via their own tests.

Now the only route into the company at basic entry level is CSA (Customer Service Assistant), so you should demonstrate experience of customer service, but working in a shop suffices really. We also take on apprentices aged 16-18 and Graduates at management level.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM   #1376
iampuking

Quote:
I think the Central Line station at Shepherd's Bush is going to be refurbished as part of the wider works to build the interchange with the new West London Line (mainline) station above (platforms currently under construction), which is all linked to the vast Westfield shopping complex being built in White City.

The 4 Rail system was chosen due to corrosion concerns resulting from a single current rail, but what the exact mechanism of this corrosion is I don't really know. The Central Line at least, when first opened, had a single central current rail... perhaps the City & South London did too... maybe it was from the experience of these two lines that it was discovered better to have the two current rails currently used.

I seem to recall the Waterloo & City Line used a single current rail with 750V DC (i.e. exactly the same as the Southern Region mainline) right up until transfer to LUL, but unusually the track was laid on ballast with wooden sleepers which might have had something to do with it.

Regarding the W&C as far as I'm aware the trains are the same as the Central Line 1992 Stock but are marginally smaller (smaller tunnels), the difference might be due to the fact that the W&C is manual whilst the Central is ATO.

The D Stock refurbs do look nice... a great improvement!

My new job entails being the boss of Elephant & Castle Depot: I will be the employing Manager of 100 drivers, 10 Duty Managers, Admin Staff, landlord of half the Bakerloo line and controlling a budget of millions (not that I can chose where much of it goes!)
Ahh thanks, it seems all the stations on the Central line are getting revonated, I presume this is to do with the fact that it runs through Stratford so many of the tourists visiting London in 2012 will end up at them. Am I right? Also, why are the stations all tiled in boring white?

Your new job sounds terrifying, having so much power! I bet the pay is good though
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:13 PM   #1377
Dothog
On the bog

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
And why does Great Portland Street have lovely brickwork until the eastern end of the platforms when there are 'orrible skin coloured panels there instead.
The eastern end is a later extension. The platforms as built in 1863 were not long enough for the Metropolitan Line trains of today. If you look up you will see the roof has girders instead of a brick arch.
Dothog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #1378
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Ahh thanks, it seems all the stations on the Central line are getting revonated, I presume this is to do with the fact that it runs through Stratford so many of the tourists visiting London in 2012 will end up at them. Am I right? Also, why are the stations all tiled in boring white?

Your new job sounds terrifying, having so much power! I bet the pay is good though
All the Central London Railway stations were tiled with the small shiny white tiles, I don't know if the station interiors are listed as such, but they are authentic and original.
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #1379
iampuking

Thanks Dothog and Tubeman.

Why have LU changed the "MIND THE GAP" announcement to a pleasant woman saying "Mind the gap, please ". A pleasent voice is all right if telling us the next station, but when there is a gap as wide as the one at Bank it should be "You must mind the gap and you will!"

I'm not against having a female "MIND THE GAP" announcement, as long as the voice is stern. Perhaps they could ask Margaret Thatcher to do it, she'd have the right voice.
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #1380
Tubeman
Jubilation

You might see a rise in suicides in that case!

I must say the old male version barking 'MIND THE GAP' was an intrinsic part of underground culture... It was obviously deemed too bossy!

Tags
london, railways, tube