daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:03 PM   #1541
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Question do you know anything outside of London and Great Britain when it comes to subways?
Not really... outside my field of expertise I'm afraid!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:34 PM   #1542
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6544

Why is the announcer at the newly refurbished King's Cross so scary?
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:53 PM   #1543
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

Since the upgrade the Jubilee has 7 cars now.

I'm about to move to Lambeth North so I look forward to knowing who to blame when I'm late for work!

The northern split is a great idea, theres some PDF burried on the TfL site with various plans that includes some details. Camden needs to get real and accept that they need a serious upgrade, which you can fund with your tax or with air rights development - i'm all for development! That said, they could rehouse the market (a big problem with the application last time) I'm sure, I'd also love more upgrades to keep the original facades, again - no reason that that would not be possible that I can think of.

The Southern Tube extentions from Kennington and Elephant would be great, and real vote winners aswell, that's a huge number of people in the catchement area. Little Bakerloo is going to really grow up when it's running from watford to Hayes! (perhaps time for a third escalator at paddington!!)

As for the north lines spit, how about Southern for the charring cross branch (as it goes to morden) and I think the SSL upgrade is going to make pink or yellow avalible as the H&C line and Circle are merged so there is your colour. Purple is being saved for cross rail, gold for chelney and light green should be on standby just in case we ever figure out how to simplify the district!

Wineing and dining with the uppermanagement! don't forget about us all!
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #1544
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Not really... outside my field of expertise I'm afraid!

Ok thanks. I have a few questions on North American and Australian systems. I will check around those sub forums.

zyxwvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcba
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #1545
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

Oh, since you haven't mentioned it, and I suppose it's right up your alley now... (when) is the Bakerloo expected to be extended back to Watford Junction? I believe the old Victoria line stock would be transferred there to assist the current stock, which would be in 2009 once the new trains there go back into service.
Is anything going to change to the Bakerloo at the end of this year, when TfL takes over the Silverlink services?
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #1546
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasdun View Post
Since the upgrade the Jubilee has 7 cars now.
You're aboslutely right! I hang my head in shame

Quote:
I'm about to move to Lambeth North so I look forward to knowing who to blame when I'm late for work!
*gulp* Its actually a very reliable line in the central section, one of the best.

Quote:
The northern split is a great idea, theres some PDF burried on the TfL site with various plans that includes some details. Camden needs to get real and accept that they need a serious upgrade, which you can fund with your tax or with air rights development - i'm all for development! That said, they could rehouse the market (a big problem with the application last time) I'm sure, I'd also love more upgrades to keep the original facades, again - no reason that that would not be possible that I can think of.
This is all I can find about it... Looks like we're back at a consultative stage following rejection of the first scheme (because of the surface buildings).

Quote:
The Southern Tube extentions from Kennington and Elephant would be great, and real vote winners aswell, that's a huge number of people in the catchement area. Little Bakerloo is going to really grow up when it's running from watford to Hayes! (perhaps time for a third escalator at paddington!!)
Stumbled across 'alwaystouchout'... Its got loads of information about transport projects in London, mentioning (amongst other things) Bakerloo extensions north & south, new NR stations at Walworth and Camberwell (re-openings essentially), the Crossrails, Overground (etc). Its unofficial, and some of the projects need updating, but its better than the projects section on the official TFL site.

Quote:
As for the north lines spit, how about Southern for the charring cross branch (as it goes to morden) and I think the SSL upgrade is going to make pink or yellow avalible as the H&C line and Circle are merged so there is your colour. Purple is being saved for cross rail, gold for chelney and light green should be on standby just in case we ever figure out how to simplify the district!
As I said the lines can only really be split into Edgware - Charing Cross - Kennington and Barnet / Mill Hill - Bank - Morden. The former should be renamed the 'Hampstead Tube' (its pre-northern Line colloquial name) or to fit in with the other lines the 'Hampstead Line', the remainder can remain 'Northern' as the name tips a nod to the Great Northern Railway's 'Northern heights' routes which the line largely took over (everything north of East Finchley). If as you mention the 'T Cup' line comes to fruition (i.e. Hammersmith H&C line to Edgware Road via a lap of the Circle and back again) then I suppose pink could be an appropriate colour for the Hampstead Tube, but I don't think yellow really stands alone on the map too well (it only really 'works' at the moment because the Circle runs alongside other lines pretty much throughout).

Quote:
Wineing and dining with the uppermanagement! don't forget about us all!
No wine involved... we were on duty!
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #1547
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W View Post
Ok thanks. I have a few questions on North American and Australian systems. I will check around those sub forums.

You can try me... Metros / Subways / Tubes are actually pretty generic.
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #1548
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
Oh, since you haven't mentioned it, and I suppose it's right up your alley now... (when) is the Bakerloo expected to be extended back to Watford Junction? I believe the old Victoria line stock would be transferred there to assist the current stock, which would be in 2009 once the new trains there go back into service.
Is anything going to change to the Bakerloo at the end of this year, when TfL takes over the Silverlink services?
Again referring to 'alwaystouchout' it appears that this is expected to happen by 2012 as Phase 2 of the London Overground project. The key event is the commencement of a Queens Park to Stratford service which will provide a service to Kilburn High Road and South Hampstead stations, and by this time as you say the redundant 1967 stocks can be modified and delivered to the Bakerloo Line. I doubt it actually would be Queens Park to Stratford, as I don't think NR trains can reverse there. It would make far more sense for services to reverse via the little-used bay platforms at Willesden Junction Low Level, thus providing interchange with the North London and West London lines.

2012 service pattern on London Overground / North London railway. Note the doubling of services on the Gospel Oak - Barking service (becoming Clapham Junction - Barking)... This suggests to me that unless NR are planning on electrifying GOBLIN, the West London Line will again have to revert to diesel operation:

Old June 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #1549
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Thanks Tubeman, interesting as usual!

So are they going to put the "Mind the Gap" announcement at every refurbished station from now on that has a step up/step down to the train? They mays well do every bloody station then...

I just saw this hilarious, "so bad it's good" song/video about the Central line as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvgxz2wyolg
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #1550
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Thanks Tubeman, interesting as usual!

So are they going to put the "Mind the Gap" announcement at every refurbished station from now on that has a step up/step down to the train? They mays well do every bloody station then...
If you've heard them at stations with straight platforms then I suspect so... the only exception would be the JLE I suppose.

I can't watch the video... at work at the mo (websense filters YouTube).
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #1551
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
If as you mention the 'T Cup' line comes to fruition (i.e. Hammersmith H&C line to Edgware Road via a lap of the Circle and back again) then I suppose pink could be an appropriate colour for the Hampstead Tube, but I don't think yellow really stands alone on the map too well (it only really 'works' at the moment because the Circle runs alongside other lines pretty much throughout).
Hi Tubeman.

Previously you talked of the 'T-Cup' line such that it would basically go along the existing Wimbleware route then going around the circle coming back to Wimbledon.

Why is H&C now being suggested for the T-Cup line? Surely the H&C serves a useful purpose as it is unlike the Wimbleware which could easily continue beyond Edgeware Road.
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #1552
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 113

Tubeman - Do you know how many disused stations and tunnels there are on the London Underground Network?
If so is there a website with pictures or do you have any pictures yourself? Cheers.
Stefan88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #1553
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
Hi Tubeman.

Previously you talked of the 'T-Cup' line such that it would basically go along the existing Wimbleware route then going around the circle coming back to Wimbledon.

Why is H&C now being suggested for the T-Cup line? Surely the H&C serves a useful purpose as it is unlike the Wimbleware which could easily continue beyond Edgeware Road.
The new thinking seems to have come about due to the intention to extend the Metropolitan Line to Barking, as then capcacity would be increased along the busy Barking-Aldgate East section as trains can be 33% longer (i.e. 8 cars not 6). However, I can't see how Edgware Road with essentially 2 reversing platforms can reverse both the T-Cup and Wimbleware services, as if current frequencies are maintained we're talking 20tph in the peak. I suppose the intention might be for the Wimbleware trains to run through to terminate at Aldgate, but I don't know if there's the capacity between Baker Street and Liverpool Street for T-Cup + Metropolitan Line + Wimbledon-Aldgate services.

Personally, I think a better option could be Hammersmith to Barking via a lap of the Circle, i.e.:

Hammersmith H&C - Edgware Rd - Aldgate - Tower Hill - Gloucester Rd - Edgware Rd - Aldgate East - Barking... perhaps a train every 4 minutes?

This means the middle platforms at Edgware Rd can remain free for reversing Wimblewares.

Its a bit of a headache really... Maybe once the S Stock is universal the current notion of 'lines' on SSR can be thrown out of the window and service patterns can be truly studied for maximum customer benefit. In an ideal world the flat junctions would be eliminated and some sections quadrupled... Baker Street to Farringdon would be ideal as the quadrupling between Farringdon and Moorgate will essentially become redundant if Thameslink '2000' ever happens... It would be great if the Metropolitan Line could run to terminate at Moorgate along a separate pair of lines.
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #1554
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef17 View Post
Tubeman - Do you know how many disused stations and tunnels there are on the London Underground Network?
If so is there a website with pictures or do you have any pictures yourself? Cheers.
You could buy my book!... I have (hopefully) recorded every single abandoned station and section of line across London's entire railway network (as well as the current network), complete with all the dates of opening / closing etc.

This is a fantastic site with loads of photos of London's abandoned Tube stations (with a few of mainline routes too). I haven't really got any photos myself, that site is pretty comprehensive.
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1555
sweek

Reading alt.transport.london, it seems like the bottom half of the Circle can't actually take that many trains, and that those can't all be resersed at Edgware Road as you said. So the option that they came up with was half of the T-Cup line trains not doing any more than Hammersmith - Aldgate, with the others doing Hammersmith - Aldgate - Edgware Road. The Uxbridge branch Met. trains would indeed be going to Barking, then.
I don't think that's good enough an improvement to get rid of the circle line, which really can come in very handy and any of these options would mean extra changes for certain people.
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #1556
thainotts

Likes (Received): 8

Tubeman, I saw some "Above Ground" posters that depict the route of the Piccadilly line in relation to above ground structures and landmarks. Was wondering if they've done something like that for the other lines. I think its really nice and was looking at it for quite a while.
"สมบัติชาติ" ถ้าคนไทยบริหารแล้วห่วยลงๆ สู้ขายให้นายทุนฝรั่งมาบริหารยังจะดีกว่า เขาจะเอาออกนอกประเทศก็ไม่ได้ แถมการแข่งขันในตลาดเสรีก็ช่วยพัฒนา "สมบัติ" นั้นๆ อีกด้วย ....​ อย่าให้คนไทยกันเองดอง "สมบัติชาติ" จนมันเน่าเลยดีกว่า
thainotts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #1557
RzgR Spijkenisse
Raised in Spijkenisse NL

Likes (Received): 0

He guy's

At the moment I'm in Milton Keynes for an intenship at a hotel. Tomorow I will visit London

I haven't found a topic yet about it bud what station do I realy need to visit. Like special station for architecture, atmoshpere, history, deepness, longest escelator etc....

Thank a lot already

I am sorry if I have used the wrong topic.
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #1558
sweek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RzgR Spijkenisse View Post
He guy's

At the moment I'm in Milton Keynes for an intenship at a hotel. Tomorow I will visit London

I haven't found a topic yet about it bud what station do I realy need to visit. Like special station for architecture, atmoshpere, history, deepness, longest escelator etc....

Thank a lot already

I am sorry if I have used the wrong topic.
Canary Wharf for the spaciousness and beautiful roof, and the modernity of the Jubilee Line extension.
Westminster for the great escalators and impressive layout.
Angel for the longest escalator.
Oxford Circus, Victoria, Waterloo and King's Cross St. Pancras for the sheer size and business.
Baker Street, where the H&C/Circle platforms still look the way they did when the first Underground started running there.
Notting Hill Gate and High Street Kensington are pretty, I think.
Earl's Court is interesting because so many trains go in so many directions there.

I'm not sure what else to recommend here.
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #1559
willkill

Likes (Received): 0

Bank/Monument for the stupidly long distance walking underground between the Central/ District and Circle lines.

Covent Garden's also pretty interesting as it's one of the busiest stations without esculators and you use a lift to go down. There is also an emergency staircase with 193 steps which is really quite a way and I walked up it last time I left the station.
willkill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #1560
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thainotts View Post
Tubeman, I saw some "Above Ground" posters that depict the route of the Piccadilly line in relation to above ground structures and landmarks. Was wondering if they've done something like that for the other lines. I think its really nice and was looking at it for quite a while.
No, just the Piccadilly. My understanding is the design company drew it off their own back and approached LU... it wasn't commissioned by us as such. I agree that its good, it certainly would be a nice feature for other lines.

Tags
london, railways, tube