daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #1561
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweek View Post
Canary Wharf for the spaciousness and beautiful roof, and the modernity of the Jubilee Line extension.
Westminster for the great escalators and impressive layout.
Angel for the longest escalator.
Oxford Circus, Victoria, Waterloo and King's Cross St. Pancras for the sheer size and business.
Baker Street, where the H&C/Circle platforms still look the way they did when the first Underground started running there.
Notting Hill Gate and High Street Kensington are pretty, I think.
Earl's Court is interesting because so many trains go in so many directions there.

I'm not sure what else to recommend here.
Also Gloucester Road for the art installations
Southwark is stunning inside
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:37 AM   #1562
RzgR Spijkenisse
Raised in Spijkenisse NL
 
RzgR Spijkenisse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Spijkenisse, Rotterdam
Posts: 113
Likes (Received): 0

Alright Thanks a lot Tubeman, Sweek and WillKill I will go and see the stations you've recomended....
__________________
Broadcasting from a trainstation near you

Last edited by RzgR Spijkenisse; June 6th, 2007 at 02:55 AM.
RzgR Spijkenisse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #1563
thainotts
Registered User
 
thainotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangkok-Nottingham
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
No, just the Piccadilly. My understanding is the design company drew it off their own back and approached LU... it wasn't commissioned by us as such. I agree that its good, it certainly would be a nice feature for other lines.
That's a shame. Is there any chance you have a link to it online or something? The London Olympic committee should've hired that company instead, saving £400,000...........
__________________
"สมบัติชาติ" ถ้าคนไทยบริหารแล้วห่วยลงๆ สู้ขายให้นายทุนฝรั่งมาบริหารยังจะดีกว่า เขาจะเอาออกนอกประเทศก็ไม่ได้ แถมการแข่งขันในตลาดเสรีก็ช่วยพัฒนา "สมบัติ" นั้นๆ อีกด้วย ....​ อย่าให้คนไทยกันเองดอง "สมบัติชาติ" จนมันเน่าเลยดีกว่า
thainotts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #1564
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by thainotts View Post
That's a shame. Is there any chance you have a link to it online or something? The London Olympic committee should've hired that company instead, saving £400,000...........
No, I tried to find an image of it online or even a link to the design company ('Globalvision'?) a while back when this topic cropped up, but to no avail.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #1565
Paxton
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 32
Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by thainotts View Post
That's a shame. Is there any chance you have a link to it online or something? The London Olympic committee should've hired that company instead, saving £400,000...........
Is this the one you mean? http://thincities.tfl.gov.uk/project...tion.php?id=12

There's a link to download it but unfortunately it doesn't work. There's a closer view of it, however, here: http://thincities.tfl.gov.uk/projects/artist.php?id=12
Paxton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #1566
thainotts
Registered User
 
thainotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangkok-Nottingham
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 8

No, not that particular one. But I suppose it was done by the same company seeing as the looks and such are the same, but the one I saw didn't seem to have the visionary aspects of it.
__________________
"สมบัติชาติ" ถ้าคนไทยบริหารแล้วห่วยลงๆ สู้ขายให้นายทุนฝรั่งมาบริหารยังจะดีกว่า เขาจะเอาออกนอกประเทศก็ไม่ได้ แถมการแข่งขันในตลาดเสรีก็ช่วยพัฒนา "สมบัติ" นั้นๆ อีกด้วย ....​ อย่าให้คนไทยกันเองดอง "สมบัติชาติ" จนมันเน่าเลยดีกว่า
thainotts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #1567
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton View Post
Is this the one you mean? http://thincities.tfl.gov.uk/project...tion.php?id=12

There's a link to download it but unfortunately it doesn't work. There's a closer view of it, however, here: http://thincities.tfl.gov.uk/projects/artist.php?id=12
Nah, thats an artist's interpretation of the Globalvision one in Piccadilly Line cars... Its not the same (note the 'Hammersmith Mushroom Facility' and 'South Chelsea Bisosphere'!!!).
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #1568
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Will Heathrow T5 have PSDs?

Is the Oyster card called Oyster because of the expression "the world is your oyster"?

And are you for the mobile network getting signals on the tube? I'm not... The only time there is any peace on the way to work is when you're on the tube, no-one talks at rush hour. Instead we'll soon have tossers yapping on their phone for the entire journey... As if it isn't bad enough when you sit in a cafe or whatever.

Last edited by iampuking; June 7th, 2007 at 11:53 PM.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1569
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Will Heathrow T5 have PSDs?

Is the Oyster card called Oyster because of the expression "the world is your oyster"?

And are you for the mobile network getting signals on the tube? I'm not... The only time there is any peace on the way to work is when you're on the tube, no-one talks at rush hour. Instead we'll soon have tossers yapping on their phone for the entire journey... As if it isn't bad enough when you sit in a cafe or whatever.
PSDs? Did you mean PEDs? (Platform Edge Doors)... If yes, not that I'm aware of, it would require modification of the 1973 stock fleet to some degree (such that the driver opening the train doors will result in the PEDs opening).

Regarding Oyster: I don't know what the 'Oyster' refers to (if anything)... but your suggestion sounds plausible. It may tip a cheeky wink to Hong Kong's 'Octopus' system which predates it? "The world is your octopus" doesn't quite have the same ring to it though!

Regarding mobile signals: dead against for the same reasons as you. Also considering the immemnse background noise on Tube trains everyone would be barking into their phones at the tops of their voices. Now that 'Connect' is being rolled out the Emergency services' radios will work underground, so the only real pro-argument for mobiles working underground has been removed.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #1570
thainotts
Registered User
 
thainotts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangkok-Nottingham
Posts: 2,980
Likes (Received): 8

Here's a pic of it from yesterday...sorry for the crappy quality, it was taken on my phone

__________________
"สมบัติชาติ" ถ้าคนไทยบริหารแล้วห่วยลงๆ สู้ขายให้นายทุนฝรั่งมาบริหารยังจะดีกว่า เขาจะเอาออกนอกประเทศก็ไม่ได้ แถมการแข่งขันในตลาดเสรีก็ช่วยพัฒนา "สมบัติ" นั้นๆ อีกด้วย ....​ อย่าให้คนไทยกันเองดอง "สมบัติชาติ" จนมันเน่าเลยดีกว่า
thainotts no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #1571
sweek
Registered User
 
sweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London NW1
Posts: 1,636
Likes (Received): 1

I was hoping that because of the high noise levels people would just stick with text messages, which would be very useful for me too, really.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #1572
cal_t
Transport Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Brisbane/Melb
Posts: 455
Likes (Received): 22

PEDs could mean half height gates to full height doors.
PSDs only means full height doors

but essentially both do the same job. Hopefully they keep people away from the track.
__________________
Any views expressed are do not represent those of any companies and are personal only. If you are not the intended viewer, you may not disseminate or disclose this information.
cal_t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1573
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_t View Post
PEDs could mean half height gates to full height doors.
PSDs only means full height doors

but essentially both do the same job. Hopefully they keep people away from the track.
As far as i'm aware, PSDs were installed on the JLE to stop draughts, safety was only an additional benefit...

Regarding the JLE, how come between Westminster and Green Park it is so noisy! It's noisier than the old sections! There is a real loud humming sound and I can barely here someone elses voice!

Thanks in advance.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #1574
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
As far as i'm aware, PSDs were installed on the JLE to stop draughts, safety was only an additional benefit...

Regarding the JLE, how come between Westminster and Green Park it is so noisy! It's noisier than the old sections! There is a real loud humming sound and I can barely here someone elses voice!

Thanks in advance.
Nah, safety is the prime concern... draughts are good (its the only form of aeration in a lot of Tube tunnels), which is why the PEDs do not form a seal at the top.

I've not ridden Green Park to Westminster lately, but I suspect its due to railhead corrugation (I already described this phenomenon earlier in this thread), this forms on curves with high-speed traffic.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #1575
cal_t
Transport Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Brisbane/Melb
Posts: 455
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Nah, safety is the prime concern... draughts are good (its the only form of aeration in a lot of Tube tunnels), which is why the PEDs do not form a seal at the top.
In a full air con environment, the PSDs are sealed to the top.
__________________
Any views expressed are do not represent those of any companies and are personal only. If you are not the intended viewer, you may not disseminate or disclose this information.
cal_t no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #1576
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Nah, safety is the prime concern... draughts are good (its the only form of aeration in a lot of Tube tunnels), which is why the PEDs do not form a seal at the top.

I've not ridden Green Park to Westminster lately, but I suspect its due to railhead corrugation (I already described this phenomenon earlier in this thread), this forms on curves with high-speed traffic.
Okay! Thanks! How often does track need to be replaced on the tube, and how long does it take before their is this railhead corrugation?

Also, today, I noticed that in the front car of the 67/72TS has air vents at the top of the cab door in the passenger section... I presumed this was to allow air to rush in from the tunnel? There was a noticeable rush of air when the trains pressure changed which was cooling. I was wondering why there isn't this feature on newer stocks?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #1577
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_t View Post
In a full air con environment, the PSDs are sealed to the top.
LOL this is London Underground we're talking about!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #1578
Tubeman
Jubilation
 
Tubeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London SE15
Posts: 18,973
Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Okay! Thanks! How often does track need to be replaced on the tube, and how long does it take before their is this railhead corrugation?

Also, today, I noticed that in the front car of the 67/72TS has air vents at the top of the cab door in the passenger section... I presumed this was to allow air to rush in from the tunnel? There was a noticeable rush of air when the trains pressure changed which was cooling. I was wondering why there isn't this feature on newer stocks?
Drivers cabs have air con on newer stocks plus some of the most recent refurbs (e.g. 1973 & D Stocks)... so not having the cab airtight would defeat the point. Originally the vents would have been designed to push air through the car though, you're right.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #1579
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Drivers cabs have air con on newer stocks plus some of the most recent refurbs (e.g. 1973 & D Stocks)... so not having the cab airtight would defeat the point. Originally the vents would have been designed to push air through the car though, you're right.
Why don't they make the air vent not have to pass through the driver's cab? So it could be a bit passing through the ceiling, and won't go through the cab.

I thought the air vent made the journey more... windy! Which is good when it's hot.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #1580
iampuking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,414
Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
LOL this is London Underground we're talking about!
So true.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
london, railways, tube

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium