daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #1761
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

These full size DLR tunnels with walkways are just alien to Londoners!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1762
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Tubeman... Would TfL ever install 'smart' escalators, the ones that only move when someone steps on them, it saves energy apparently.
That's only of benefit for lightly used escalators really, and very few on the LU network would fall into this category.

Quote:
A first for the Underground? Have you not heard of the Circle, East London, District, Hammersmith & City, or Metropolitan lines?
I think he probably meant in terms of bored Tube tunnel of surface stock size, but even then we had one example: the Great Northern & City, which is now part of Netwrok rail (Finsbury Park to Moorgate).

Quote:
And even though you didn't intend to say that the Tube lines were sub-standard, it certainly came across that way.
Now now its my job to get ultra-defensive of the Tube
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1763
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus View Post
1. I thought I read somewhere they were larger tunnels but still not large enough?
All SSR tunnels are large enough for surface stock trains, in fact some are even larger as they were built to GWR broad gauge (7 feet!)
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #1764
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Tubeman, why don't they not make Crossrail's underground section powered by third rail? The tunnels could have a smaller diameter, and they could switch to overheard wires when overground (like Thameslink) it would save money to bore smaller tunnels...
It probably costs more to have all trains dual-voltage and maintaining shoegear than it would to have tunnels marginally bigger. Plenty of 25Kv OLE has been squeezed into old brick tunnels, e.g. Thameslink Farringdon to Kings Cross, so it can be inferred it doesn't require much more space than not having it.
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #1765
iampuking

Thanks
Old August 18th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #1766
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 216

Tubeman, I know you don't work for the DLR so you might not know this but a few weeks ago I travelled up and down it for best part of the day (well made four journies on it) but at no point was I asked to show my ticket.

How do they know how many people use the DLR if they don't use those automatic gates like the underground and trust people to buy tickets? So I guess my real question is why not copy the same system as the underground for checking your tickets, ie before you enter the platforms?
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #1767
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

are euston and euston square close enough to be linked up by travelater do you think?

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #1768
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim Flyer View Post
Tubeman, I know you don't work for the DLR so you might not know this but a few weeks ago I travelled up and down it for best part of the day (well made four journies on it) but at no point was I asked to show my ticket.

How do they know how many people use the DLR if they don't use those automatic gates like the underground and trust people to buy tickets? So I guess my real question is why not copy the same system as the underground for checking your tickets, ie before you enter the platforms?
As far as I'm aware the 'Train Captain' should be wandering up and down checking tickets, so from the point of view of their revenue its a worry that no-one did.
Old August 19th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #1769
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbakerloo View Post
are euston and euston square close enough to be linked up by travelater do you think?
No reason why not, but it would be grotesquely expensive creating a new subterranean travelator... Its at worst a 5 minute walk and there's plenty of buses for the really idle.
Old August 19th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #1770
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
As far as I'm aware the 'Train Captain' should be wandering up and down checking tickets, so from the point of view of their revenue its a worry that no-one did.
Whenever i'm on it the train captain never does that. Just stands in the middle and opens and closes the doors... Once one of them took over to 'drive' but he just pressed the buttons to start and stop it, much like the Victoria line I assumed... He was a bit of an obnoxious git though! He was banging on his mobile the entire journey and taking up both seats...
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #1771
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

Yes, the train captains are very hit and miss. Some are the most diligent and polite workers I've encountered in London, some are not. Revenue collection is largely non-existent for large parts of the route for lots of the day.
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #1772
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

I've been checked on around one fourth of my trips on the DLR, I think.
Do you have any idea what might've happened to the new DLR trains, by the way? They should've started being introduced in May already.
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM   #1773
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
No reason why not, but it would be grotesquely expensive creating a new subterranean travelator... Its at worst a 5 minute walk and there's plenty of buses for the really idle.
For the likes of normal situations it certainly is an easy walk. But there are loads of people who come into Euston with luggage, and walking with all that luggage can be a problem for some. Buses are also no help there (buses and baggage just don't go together)

So in these cases a travelator would come in very handy. Pity the London Underground just can't afford to do these things anymore.
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:53 PM   #1774
iampuking

Tubeman, do you think it would be a good idea to scrap the tube names and give each line a number? It's easier for tourists apparently, I hate the idea personally.
Old August 21st, 2007, 05:36 PM   #1775
Justme
Gotta lite?

^ Personally I also think it's stupid. You can always make a tourist map which includes numbers, so why scrap the names completely.

The only network I used which also had numbers was the Tokyo system. Now here we are talking a network where many of the maps are only in Japanese. Even then, I still never really used the numbers and prefered the names (of cause, using a map with European spelling)

If you have too much trouble using a subway network, you should stay at home ;O)
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:33 PM   #1776
sweek

Likes (Received): 1

An underground connection between Euston and Euston Square should be included in the Euston upgrade.

---
The proposed £1bn redevelopment for Euston Station will provide a city centre mixed use development and an enlarged and enhanced station facility to serve the upgraded West Coast Main Line.

Franklin + Andrews has been involved in the preparation of feasibility estimates and cost planning of capital and whole life costs to consider the various options available under this proposed redevelopment.

The new station will feature an enlarged concourse with retail and passenger facilities on basement, ground and first floor levels. There will be a new London Underground concourse with a proposed direct pedestrian tunnel to link into the Circle Line at Euston Square. The first floor of the concourse could link directly into the commercial scheme, which is to be constructed over the station platforms on a new deck.

http://www.franklinandrews.com/proje...=type&id=15580
sweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM   #1777
Justme
Gotta lite?

^ but will it have a travelator? The only reason why not is if they make it an underground retail concourse. Otherwise it will be a long boring tunnel walk.
Old August 21st, 2007, 10:27 PM   #1778
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Tubeman, do you think it would be a good idea to scrap the tube names and give each line a number? It's easier for tourists apparently, I hate the idea personally.
Its only of any value if the numbers are displayed on the trains... I think it has merits for a comple of lines: the District runs 5 distinct off-peak services which could be numbered (e.g. Richmond - Upminster = District 1, Edgware Road - Wimbledon = District 4 etc), but this only means anything to baffled tourists if there's a whopping great big green '1' on the front of the District 1 train.

I certainly think erasing the heritage of the different line names altogether would be a travesty.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM   #1779
iampuking

Tubeman, I noticed on another forum this new 'daylight' lighting installed at Belsize Park, and i'm wondering why?

People know they are not outside, so why try and fool people, horrid fluroscent lighting just gives people headaches, makes everyone look like zombies and not forgetting: looked crap! They've already butchered the Circle and H&C platforms at Baker Street with white lighting, it used to be a lovely orange glow which gave the station it's original atmosphere! It's so annoying!!

New lighting, see connecting passageway for contrast:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ga/belsize.jpg
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #1780
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Tubeman, I noticed on another forum this new 'daylight' lighting installed at Belsize Park, and i'm wondering why?

People know they are not outside, so why try and fool people, horrid fluroscent lighting just gives people headaches, makes everyone look like zombies and not forgetting: looked crap! They've already butchered the Circle and H&C platforms at Baker Street with white lighting, it used to be a lovely orange glow which gave the station it's original atmosphere! It's so annoying!!

New lighting, see connecting passageway for contrast:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ga/belsize.jpg

What is that crap?!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, railways, tube