daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #1781
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

It's just awful, isn't it?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #1782
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

It's terrible I love the LU but what is this...
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 11:46 PM   #1783
iampuking

I think it's only a trial...
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #1784
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

...Yes the 'natural' light lighting is grotesque... It makes everyone look pallid and undead which really isn't a good look.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:44 AM   #1785
Stuu

Likes (Received): 44

Re the reason why there isn't a link between Euston and Euston Square, there is an underground river or one of Bazalgette's great sewers between them, so anything would have to go underneath, so it would be far more expensive than it appears, though why the entrance to Euston Square is at the other end to Euston is a different matter
Stuu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 04:28 AM   #1786
Truepioneer

Likes (Received): 0

Tubeman, why are the platforms at Angel Station wider than the platforms at the average Northern Line station?

It's not an interchange station and there are busier stations on the Northern that would benefit from larger platforms.

Please explain

Cheers
Truepioneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #1787
iampuking

I know this one. It's because Angel was originally an island platform similar to the ones at Clapham Common and Clapham North, since overcrowding became a problem it was modernised in the 90s, the southbound platform used the existing tunnel, and a new tunnel was constructed for the northbound platform. The surface building was also changed, and now Angel holds the record of having the longest escalators on the Underground, previously having lifts. A similar arrangement can be seen at Euston (Bank branch)

Here's Clapham Common, what Angel station would of looked like before modernisation:

image hosted on flickr
Old August 26th, 2007, 11:58 AM   #1788
Truepioneer

^Thank you

They should really apply this idea to some other underground stations.
Truepioneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #1789
Tubeman
Jubilation

Thanks for fielding that one Mr puking...

Here's the only image I can find of the disgusting condition of Angel before the Northbound track was diverted:

Today's Southbound... A vast improvement!

The last two examples of this original City & South London station layout are Clapham North and Clapham Common.
Old August 27th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #1790
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truepioneer View Post
^Thank you

They should really apply this idea to some other underground stations.
The only stations they could do it to are Clapham North and Clapham Common! Tubeman, do you know if there are any plans to give them the same treatment?

And does Lambeth North have that weird lighting in it as well?
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #1791
petermandelson

Hi Tubey

Do you think there is a secret tunnel linking 10 Downing St and Westminster station?

So if anything go wrong such as war or terrorist attack PM and his family can escape using Tube?
petermandelson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #1792
iampuking

Why would he want to go to Westminster, Big Ben? That's even more of a target!!
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #1793
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Thanks for fielding that one Mr puking...

Here's the only image I can find of the disgusting condition of Angel before the Northbound track was diverted:

Today's Southbound... A vast improvement!

The last two examples of this original City & South London station layout are Clapham North and Clapham Common.
Judging by conditions on some underground platforms I have had to use recently, they could all do with widening like that. Some platforms are so narrow that the entrances are easily blocked making it almost impossible to get to less crowded stretches of platform, which has the knock on effect that trains are not evenly loaded.
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #1794
iampuking

Northern line platforms tend to be quite narrow...
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #1795
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
The only stations they could do it to are Clapham North and Clapham Common! Tubeman, do you know if there are any plans to give them the same treatment?

And does Lambeth North have that weird lighting in it as well?

Not that I'm aware of... Angel had to be 'done' as it became extremely dangerous when the area became more affluent in the 1980's (and therefore the station got busier), and the development at street level helped to pay for the works. The Claphams are pretty busy (Common more so than North I'd have thought), but I'd never seen them hazardously busy when I was a driver.

Lambeth North does indeed have the ghastly 'daylight' style lighting.
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #1796
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermandelson View Post
Hi Tubey

Do you think there is a secret tunnel linking 10 Downing St and Westminster station?

So if anything go wrong such as war or terrorist attack PM and his family can escape using Tube?
Well if anyone would know, you would Mr Mandelson!

I've heard the same urban myth about a secret Piccadilly Line siding to Buckingham Palace... I'm not being funny but if there was a 4-minute warning Queenie would just about shuffle on to her secret train, let alone get anywhere near Heathrow Airport.

Rubbish, in short.
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #1797
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
Judging by conditions on some underground platforms I have had to use recently, they could all do with widening like that. Some platforms are so narrow that the entrances are easily blocked making it almost impossible to get to less crowded stretches of platform, which has the knock on effect that trains are not evenly loaded.
Angel (and Euston Bank Branch Southbound) aren't widenings as such, they were both instances of the northbound track being diverted through a new tunnel to serve a new platform such that the entire old station tunnel became just the southbound platform.

Actually expanding existing plaforms to this extent would be very expensive, and nigh on impossible in many locations. The usual layout of a Tube station sees escalators accessing a low-level concourse between two platform tunnels: the only way to widen platforms is to encroach into the low-level concourse which would be physically impossible as the escalators would be in the way of this expansion.

I certainly agree about some platforms with limited access where people are too stupid to spread along the platform... I used to use Holborn Piccadilly Westbound every day, where there is one narrow entrance onto the platform around which people often crowd. You'll often not be able to get onto the platform even though its mostly free because of a gang of tourists with suitcases right in front of the entrance. In the vain hope that people observe them, yellow markings like the 'no stopping' diamond box junctions on roads have been painted on, but to be fair they don't exactly mean much if you're not in a car. In these instances I'd like to see more entrances / exits to / from busier plaforms, but again it would be expensive.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #1798
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Hey man somebody might have asked this before but just about how many passengers can a tube train take? I know it varies from line to line but I guess numbers for the Metropolitan line and for Central line would be a nice indicator. Cheers!!
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #1799
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Not that I'm aware of... Angel had to be 'done' as it became extremely dangerous when the area became more affluent in the 1980's (and therefore the station got busier), and the development at street level helped to pay for the works. The Claphams are pretty busy (Common more so than North I'd have thought), but I'd never seen them hazardously busy when I was a driver.

Lambeth North does indeed have the ghastly 'daylight' style lighting.
Thanks... Does the Bakerloo line have more modern signalling than other lines with conventional signals? I'm sure I read about it once before, and it doesn't seem to have problems as often as the Piccadilly or Nothern, for example.
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #1800
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov View Post
Hey man somebody might have asked this before but just about how many passengers can a tube train take? I know it varies from line to line but I guess numbers for the Metropolitan line and for Central line would be a nice indicator. Cheers!!
At a push, 1,500 per train. The Met's capacity is probably not as much as the Central or Victoria as a lot of floorspace is taken up by seating so less standees, both of the latter two have 8 cars as opposed to the usual 7 or 6 of other lines.

Tags
london, railways, tube