daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2007, 02:17 AM   #1861
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Dunno which is worst, although anecdotally I remember a fair few under Picc trains at Turnham Green over the years. Lancaster Gate would surprise me to be honest.

By far the worst used to be Tooting Bec when it had Furzedown Mental Hospital open upstairs, gladly that closed about 10 years ago and the suicides stopped.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2007, 03:14 AM   #1862
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Tubeman, why is there such a gap between the escalators, where there is a bank of three, they could reduce the gap and squeeze in a forth by the looks of it!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #1863
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

Tubeman: i want to know something well alot of things

what will happen to the North Pole Depot i mean will it work for another company for a depot i mean it can work like that?

since Eurostar is moving to temple mills depot
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #1864
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Tubeman, why is there such a gap between the escalators, where there is a bank of three, they could reduce the gap and squeeze in a forth by the looks of it!
Must be something to do with all the gubbins you don't see underneath... I would expect there to be an angled walkway in between each escalator to allow access to the mechanism below the treads, so they would need to be at least a comfortable person's width apart for access... If you catch my drift!
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #1865
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
Tubeman: i want to know something well alot of things

what will happen to the North Pole Depot i mean will it work for another company for a depot i mean it can work like that?

since Eurostar is moving to temple mills depot
I'm certain North Pole will be recycled by someone... The Heathrow Express / Heathrow Connect Depot on the opposite side of the GWR main line is looking very cramped, so it would be logical for them to take it over, as its already 25Kv AC electrified.
Old October 4th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #1866
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Must be something to do with all the gubbins you don't see underneath... I would expect there to be an angled walkway in between each escalator to allow access to the mechanism below the treads, so they would need to be at least a comfortable person's width apart for access... If you catch my drift!
In Moscow, they cope fine with much less room between the escalators... See here

image hosted on flickr
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #1867
Tubeman
Jubilation

Hmmm... And these at Canary Wharf (not in the station)

...Maybe the regulations following the Fennel Report / King's Cross Fire stipulate a certain amount of space between LU escalators? The above certainly proves it is physically possible for them to be closer together.
Old October 5th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #1868
sarflonlad

Likes (Received): 68

Tubey,

As someone who was previously stationed at Earls Court, can you explain to me why I suffer whenever I want to use the Wimbledon branch of the District line.

Why is the service pattern typically:

Ealing, Ealing, Richmond, Ealing, Ealing, Richmond, Wimbledon...

The platforms get mega over crowded and no one seems to board the masses of Ealing trains that go through (plus those in Ealing have the Central and Picc lines at their disposal). Is Southfields not the most profitable station on the entire network in terms of receipts? So why neglect the commuters there??
sarflonlad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #1869
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarflonlad View Post
Tubey,

As someone who was previously stationed at Earls Court, can you explain to me why I suffer whenever I want to use the Wimbledon branch of the District line.

Why is the service pattern typically:

Ealing, Ealing, Richmond, Ealing, Ealing, Richmond, Wimbledon...

The platforms get mega over crowded and no one seems to board the masses of Ealing trains that go through (plus those in Ealing have the Central and Picc lines at their disposal). Is Southfields not the most profitable station on the entire network in terms of receipts? So why neglect the commuters there??
What time of day are you referring to? I can assure you that off-peak during the day there are more trains to Wimbledon than anywhere else.

Off-peak the service is: Wimbledon - Ealing - Wimbledon - Richmond (etc) with Wimbledons every 4 minutes (alternating ex-Edgware Road and ex-Upminster) and Richmonds / Ealings every 8 minutes (plus Olympias every 15 minutes).

The problem is, and this might be where you get your impression from, during the evenings trains start coming out of service and returning to Ealing Common Depot, so after 20:00 there are a disproportionate number of Ealings and the Wimbledon service reduces to 10 minute intervals made up purely of Edgware Road - Wimbledon trains. By about 22:00 there are 2 or 3 Ealings for each Wimbledon / Richmond train, which always hacks off the customers for those branches... It cannot be helped though. It's more a case of running far too many Ealings than too few Richmonds / Wimbledons, as they run westbound for their last trip before stabling in Ealing Common.
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #1870
sarflonlad

^ that explains it. I usually only find myself getting the tube from Earls Court wimbledon bound after 9pm.

Bloody annoying! Can't the utilise some of SWTs depot at Wimbledon for stock?
Old October 6th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #1871
iampuking

I saw the digital advertising trial on the Southbound Victoria line platform at Euston, and I ask this: Why an EARTH is the equipment so bulky?!
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #1872
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
^ that explains it. I usually only find myself getting the tube from Earls Court wimbledon bound after 9pm.

Bloody annoying! Can't the utilise some of SWTs depot at Wimbledon for stock?
The idea of opening a depot at Wimbledon Park has been mooted: the westernmost fan of sidings never seem to see a huge amount of use and can stable about 15 trains. Through experience, LU have learned that the move toward 'super' depots of 200+ drivers doesn't work (they become unmanageable), so splitting the problematic Earl's Court depot (the District Line's largest) into two chunks would make sense. As we physically have enough sidings, Parson's Green sidings could be closed and the land given over to housing in a very expensive part of London (i.e. self-financing). The current layout of four reversing sidings to the west of Parson's Green could be replaced by one or two central sidings between the EB and WB roads so the reversing capability isn't lost, and the land east of the station (27 and 28 roads) and a fair bit of land to the west (21 and 24 roads) could be sold.

The other benefits would be platform pick-ups at Wimbledon: as its a terminus we wouldn't have the eternal problem of trains sitting down at Earl's Court due to a wayward driver and the consequent delays to other trains. Secondly, the majority of Earl's Court drivers travel there via Wimbledon anyway (most staff live in places like Morden, Mitcham, Sutton, Croydon, Tooting etc) but we have no parking at Parson's Green or Earl's Court which poses travel difficulties for the earliest / latest duties.

Earl's Court could be split into two much more manageable depots of around 90 drivers each (I manage 100 at Elephant & Castle)... All the statistics show that small depots like Barking and Loughton fare much better than larger depots like Acton (Picc) and Earl's Court for attendance etc as 'troublemakers' can be more easily targetted.
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM   #1873
sarflonlad

Quote:
The idea of opening a depot at Wimbledon Park has been mooted: the westernmost fan of sidings never seem to see a huge amount of use and can stable about 15 trains. Through experience, LU have learned that the move toward 'super' depots of 200+ drivers doesn't work (they become unmanageable), so splitting the problematic Earl's Court depot (the District Line's largest) into two chunks would make sense. As we physically have enough sidings, Parson's Green sidings could be closed and the land given over to housing in a very expensive part of London (i.e. self-financing). The current layout of four reversing sidings to the west of Parson's Green could be replaced by one or two central sidings between the EB and WB roads so the reversing capability isn't lost, and the land east of the station (27 and 28 roads) and a fair bit of land to the west (21 and 24 roads) could be sold.

The other benefits would be platform pick-ups at Wimbledon: as its a terminus we wouldn't have the eternal problem of trains sitting down at Earl's Court due to a wayward driver and the consequent delays to other trains. Secondly, the majority of Earl's Court drivers travel there via Wimbledon anyway (most staff live in places like Morden, Mitcham, Sutton, Croydon, Tooting etc) but we have no parking at Parson's Green or Earl's Court which poses travel difficulties for the earliest / latest duties.

Earl's Court could be split into two much more manageable depots of around 90 drivers each (I manage 100 at Elephant & Castle)... All the statistics show that small depots like Barking and Loughton fare much better than larger depots like Acton (Picc) and Earl's Court for attendance etc as 'troublemakers' can be more easily targetted.
Reducing the service towards Wimbledon after 8pm seems crazy in a World City like London. Couple this with the benefits of having drivers nearer to their place ("start") of work - why has this plan not been implemented!?
Old October 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #1874
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Reducing the service towards Wimbledon after 8pm seems crazy in a World City like London. Couple this with the benefits of having drivers nearer to their place ("start") of work - why has this plan not been implemented!?
It's logical?

Pass...
Old October 6th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #1875
iampuking

Quote:
Isn't that area round Parsons Green sidings 'safeguarded' for the Crossrail 2 route? I would of thought that's where the tunnel portals would be...
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #1876
1LONDONER

Likes (Received): 55

Tubeman

At wood green picadily line trains terminate eastbound at times, I think there is a split in the track like two ways jus in the tunnel. Where does it go?

Like is there another train depot at wood green? or is it another seperate tunnel to the eastbound+westbound ones, thay somehow allows it to do u-turn and start a new westbound service from W.G ??
1LONDONER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #1877
1LONDONER

Likes (Received): 55

Also do v.i.p/blind transport users get a special oyster card that allows them to go through any barrier, as in even though the red cross is facing them rather then the yellow arrow.

I thought I might of saw someone do it, an thought it was a good idead.
1LONDONER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #1878
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LONDONER View Post
Tubeman

At wood green picadily line trains terminate eastbound at times, I think there is a split in the track like two ways jus in the tunnel. Where does it go?

Like is there another train depot at wood green? or is it another seperate tunnel to the eastbound+westbound ones, thay somehow allows it to do u-turn and start a new westbound service from W.G ??
I know this one...

It's a siding, a third tunnel that comes off the main tracks which is large enough to fit a single train, the train tips out on the eastbound platform, goes into the siding empty, and then reverses back onto the westbound.
Old October 8th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #1879
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
I know this one...

It's a siding, a third tunnel that comes off the main tracks which is large enough to fit a single train, the train tips out on the eastbound platform, goes into the siding empty, and then reverses back onto the westbound.
Yes, pretty common: examples also found at Archway, Tooting Broadway, Victoria Victoria Line (a pair), Liverpool Street Central Line (a Pair)... there are overground examples of the same layout too, such as Rayners lane, Harrow & Wealdstone and Colindale.
Old October 8th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #1880
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LONDONER View Post
Also do v.i.p/blind transport users get a special oyster card that allows them to go through any barrier, as in even though the red cross is facing them rather then the yellow arrow.

I thought I might of saw someone do it, an thought it was a good idead.
I don't think that's possible... the UTS gates are set up to be one-directional by the staff (one pair of gates is physically locked open and the other not, depending on which direction the gate is allowing).

Tags
london, railways, tube