daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:45 PM   #1941
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3272

Goodge Street serves a purpose: It is sufficiently far away from TCR and Warren St to warrant it's own existence and serves a pretty important retail area (the furniture / electronics shops of TCR).

cle, I don't know if the Bakerloo Line southern extension is intended to progress in stages or not: probably not.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:20 AM   #1942
shamrockbono

Likes (Received): 0

does anyone have tables of prices for stations by???

norman foster
calatrava
Bilbao
Southwark station (1999) by McCormac Jamieson Prichard architects.
Hollywood/Highland station by Dworsky Associates architects and artist Sheila Klein.
Westfriedhof station
Naples Line M1 Museo station
Alameda station

And rates for tunneling in europe with different types capacity and depths???
shamrockbono no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:29 AM   #1943
Tubeman
Jubilation

Can't help you much: all I can tell you is the entire Jubilee Line extension cost £4bn
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:29 AM   #1944
Tubeman
Jubilation

...And that was in 1999
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:40 PM   #1945
Tubeman
Jubilation

Me with the MD (Tim O'Toole) opening South London House (my office building) on Wednesday:

[img]http://i16.************/5xhft6b.jpg[/img]
Old November 3rd, 2007, 08:54 PM   #1946
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Which one is you?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #1947
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Tubeman is the baldie I think!

How come you met him? And what was he like?!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #1948
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

Tubeman: wow man good luck with the new office building make sure you don't lose that position

also tubeman or anybody can awnser me this

1. is there pictures of the woolwich extension of the Docklands Light Railway and how far is it at?

2. is there pictures of the DLR Stratford International Expansion that is underconstruction anybody has pictures of it?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #1949
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
They closed 2 years before I was born, so I never saw them myself. To explain to those who don't know: Hounslow West (originally Hounslow Barracks) was the western terminus of the District Railway's branch from Acton Town in 1884. When the Heathrow extension was opened (at first to Hatton Cross in 1975), the ground-level terminus at Hounslow West had to be abandoned in favour of a new subterranean through station, although the station building was retained (so this is 1930's vintage).

Here is a map I found:

Here's a photo from 1957

A good little page on Answers.com
I was born lots of years sfter in the 90's, but my parents worked there, and there still is a hidden door down to the old platforms.
Old November 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #1950
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Tubeman is the baldie I think!

How come you met him? And what was he like?!
Aye, the baldie

Tim's a great leader: inspirational... He's one of the best public speakers I've ever come across and at events like this he always makes a bee-line for the front-line staff and chats to them instead of chinwagging with the management. He's genuinely a nice, personable guy: not aloof or anything.

I know it sounds like I'm brown-nosing, but I genuinely do find him inspirational... I aspire to be like him one day (and maybe have his job!)

He was at Elephant & Castle on Wednesday 31st to open (or rather re-open) South London House, which is the Edwardian building on top of the Bakerloo Line station (it used to house the South London Press). I'm the landlord of the building (it's where my traincrew accommodation is, as well as the station offices), it's just been refurbished at a cost of £4 million.
Old November 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #1951
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
Tubeman: wow man good luck with the new office building make sure you don't lose that position

also tubeman or anybody can awnser me this

1. is there pictures of the woolwich extension of the Docklands Light Railway and how far is it at?

2. is there pictures of the DLR Stratford International Expansion that is underconstruction anybody has pictures of it?
Sorry, these are tiny:

Not much to show you on the Stratford Intl extension, conversion of the NR tracks has commenced but I don't know if any 'real' work has started yet (i.e. stations or the junctions at Canning Town).
Old November 7th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #1952
Songoten2554

i saw the video of the St Pancras Station my god its beautiful man its a piece of art itself man

i am glad this station is going to open i am excited but too bad i am NOT in britian to witness it

Last edited by Songoten2554; November 7th, 2007 at 06:59 AM.
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #1953
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

Sounds like you need a holiday to the UK
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #1954
Songoten2554

i meant i live in Miami Florida in the united states

so there is no pics of the stratford international expandion for DLR well i guess they are finally going to build it

and Crossrail is finally getting started to get built
Old November 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #1955
petermandelson

Likes (Received): 0

Overground is about to open
can you share anythings that we can't find here
petermandelson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #1956
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
i saw the video of the St Pancras Station my god its beautiful man its a piece of art itself man

i am glad this station is going to open i am excited but too bad i am NOT in britian to witness it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Pancras_railway_station

History
Opened 1868
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1957
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Tubeman, I haven't asked in a while but here goes!

-How come when there are track replacements, some stations are left with the old "bullhead" rail whilst others have it ripped out and replaced with newer flat bottomed rail?
-Would articulated and ajoining cars ever be possible on tube stock?
-How come drivers aren't aggressive enough with the doors? The other day a driver re-opened the doors to let a woman on! If we want to improve the frequency then keeping dwell times low is important.
-On this site: http://www.dougrose.co.uk/ (it's the one about the tiles) it says in the "WANT THE BOOK" section: "By good fortune I met one of the companies heavily involved in modernizing several London Underground stations. They wanted some copies and offered me a substantial amount of money in sponsorship if I decided to publish it myself. I looked at their work and found it to be to a high standard and therefore needed little encouragement and agreed. Discussions were also had with London Underground Ltd; Tim O'Toole (the present Managing Director) offered further financial assistance and has also kindly written the foreword." Could this mean that they are proposing to refurbish stations with the original tiling? Or am I being optimistic here?

Thanks in advance!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #1958
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Tubeman, I haven't asked in a while but here goes!

-How come when there are track replacements, some stations are left with the old "bullhead" rail whilst others have it ripped out and replaced with newer flat bottomed rail?
If they put 'bullhead' back in then I assume it's just a case of re-railing: i.e. new rail laid on existing sleepers and 'chairs'. If the 'chairs' aren't replaced too then you can only put bullhead rail back in as the chairs won't accommodate flat-bottomed rail (because the base is so much wider).

Re-railing occurs quite often in areas with lots of wear & tear, it's a temporary solution before wholesale track replacement takes place.

Quote:
-Would articulated and ajoining cars ever be possible on tube stock?
Yes, absolutely. No reason why not. It's a shame its not happening with the new generation of Tube stock.

Quote:
-How come drivers aren't aggressive enough with the doors? The other day a driver re-opened the doors to let a woman on! If we want to improve the frequency then keeping dwell times low is important.
Excellent customer service, promote that man! (or woman)

As a driver I'd enjoy the feeling power toying with people... shall I reopen or shant I? As a rule of thumb, if someone ran for the train and missed it and then turned toward the front of my train and mouthed obscenities and waved their arms about, I'd not re-open. In fact, of they were really aggressive I'd pause for a few seconds with the doors shut just to rub it in before pulling away. On the other hand if someone ran for the train and missed it, and turned toward the front of my train and smiled and made a pleading gesture with their hands then I'd re-open. I'd be more likely to re-open if they were elderly, female or someone with kids.

In central London in the peak you'd generally never re-open because of short headways, but off-peak in the 'burbs then you'd be more inclined to re-open because you know they'd have longer to wait.

Quote:
-On this site: http://www.dougrose.co.uk/ (it's the one about the tiles) it says in the "WANT THE BOOK" section: "By good fortune I met one of the companies heavily involved in modernizing several London Underground stations. They wanted some copies and offered me a substantial amount of money in sponsorship if I decided to publish it myself. I looked at their work and found it to be to a high standard and therefore needed little encouragement and agreed. Discussions were also had with London Underground Ltd; Tim O'Toole (the present Managing Director) offered further financial assistance and has also kindly written the foreword." Could this mean that they are proposing to refurbish stations with the original tiling? Or am I being optimistic here?

Thanks in advance!
Pass... I hope so, sounds encouraging
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #1959
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermandelson View Post
Overground is about to open
can you share anythings that we can't find here
Not an awful lot... There's going to be a massive transformation of the stations over the coming weeks with TFL / LU branding, Oyster reading barriers and LU uniformed staff. The new trains will follow later.
Old November 9th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #1960
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
As a driver I'd enjoy the feeling power toying with people... shall I reopen or shant I? As a rule of thumb, if someone ran for the train and missed it and then turned toward the front of my train and mouthed obscenities and waved their arms about, I'd not re-open. In fact, of they were really aggressive I'd pause for a few seconds with the doors shut just to rub it in before pulling away. On the other hand if someone ran for the train and missed it, and turned toward the front of my train and smiled and made a pleading gesture with their hands then I'd re-open. I'd be more likely to re-open if they were elderly, female or someone with kids.
I agree with you, good manners should be the standard, and there is no reason to curse a driver just because they closed the doors.

That said, it is a little depressing knowing that the reason the doors didn't open for me could be simply because I'm male, young and without kids - despite the smile and friendly gestures.

Tags
london, railways, tube