daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 26th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #41
AJD1984

Likes (Received): 153

Hi guys. Any of you lot got any renders of how Telecommunications house will look when completed. Cheers
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 26th, 2006, 02:30 AM   #42
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2890

No.

Architects are Rio. Apparently there's another application going to be submitted in a month or two?
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #43
jrb
10th February 2008

At last, the new application has been submitted.

No associated documents yet, they're normally added the following week.

Nothing on Rio's site yet.

I'll ring Rio architects again next week to see if I can get any further info or renders now the new application has been submitted.

079838/FO/2006/C2

Telecommunications House
(Victory House)
London Road
City

Conversion of existing building to offices (Use Class B1) and 215 bedroom hotel Use Class C2) and ancillary functions with car parking on site at rear (amendments to application 075988/FO/2005/C2)
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #44
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Still havent seen any renders and the app. hasnt even got any drawings with it.
I hope they dont ruin it by changing the fenestration patterns or doing anything daft with it.
Lets us know what you come up with jcb because i have a vested interest in this building.
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #45
SleepyOne

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Conversion of existing building to offices (use class B1) and 231 bedroom hotel (use class C2) and ancillary functions with car parking on site at rear
Description of the original application. Looks like they've increased the offices at the expense of the hotel element. No images to be downloaded from the original application. I wonder if they are back scanning applications from before they introduced this new system?
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #46
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford
Still havent seen any renders and the app. hasnt even got any drawings with it.
I hope they dont ruin it by changing the fenestration patterns or doing anything daft with it.
Lets us know what you come up with jcb because i have a vested interest in this building.
As soon as I get anything (if I do) Longstay I will post it. If I draw a blank, I'll nip down to the PO next week with digi, my best mate.
Old July 8th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #47
SleepyOne

Images will be online next week. They usually take a week from the application being validated to it being online to view in full.
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #48
jrb
10th February 2008

First images of the proposed hotel.

Someone untie Longstrap so he can give us his verdict.

Zinc, silver, grey cladding.(interesting) Shades of Piccadilly Place.

Hmmm? Not to sure about the double glazed bay windows?

Lots more info

http://www.publicaccess.manchester.g...838/FO/2006/C2

Last edited by jrb; July 11th, 2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #49
macc

Likes (Received): 22

cheers jrb.

I thought someone said a while ago that manchester was short of office space with large floor space. I'd have thought this would have been perfect.

Whats with all the hotels? I'm not complaing but it seems weird that all of a sudden there's people building hotels all over the place. Surely if there was a big need for hotles people would have took risks and started building them ages ago. The developers seem to have waited until the city seems to be deperate for hotels and now they are all getting built at once.

More competition for propective albany and eastgate hotel people, too. Might scare them away.
macc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #50
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc
cheers jrb.

I thought someone said a while ago that manchester was short of office space with large floor space. I'd have thought this would have been perfect.

Whats with all the hotels? I'm not complaing but it seems weird that all of a sudden there's people building hotels all over the place. Surely if there was a big need for hotles people would have took risks and started building them ages ago. The developers seem to have waited until the city seems to be deperate for hotels and now they are all getting built at once.

More competition for propective albany and eastgate hotel people, too. Might scare them away.
Macc.

Think the average weekly hotel take up rate in Manc is 75%-80%. Apparently during concerts, Football matches, and other events, you can't get a city centre hotel room for love nor money.(except the 5* ones)

One of the things that held Manchester/ Manchester city cente back was the lack of sufficient/quality hotel rooms. Not anymore.

Don't forget City Inn and the proposed Fire Station Hotel as well.
The Piccadilly Station/London Road area will be Manchester's new hotel district/quarter.
Old July 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #51
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 37

I really hope they do a good job with this one, I know its not to everyones taste but I really like the building, I hope it doesn't look...erm.. tacky, when its redeveloped.

Hell of a size hotel isn't it!

Thanks for the renders jerb
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #52
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

Do you know what?
I think i like it!
Not too sure about the stuff on the roof but overall i think its kinda groovy.
I'm happy! Carry on.
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:12 PM   #53
URBANISER

Likes (Received): 0

I would'nt be surprised if there is more to this than current take up rates for hotel rooms in Manc. The continued and projected growth of the airport will play a part because longhall and some shorthall aircrews need hotel accommadation, and with so many flights from Manc this alone creats a considerable demand. Also the term 'speculate to accumulate' is what businesses especially the larger hotel operators only like to do if the accumulation is pretty likley otherwies why take the risk? I think some big things are going to happen in Manchester and the big business leaders know this...so little risk! Maybe something could be announced at the Labour conference in Sept.
URBANISER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #54
jrb
10th February 2008

If nothing else, more hotels always give a good indication that a city/city centre is going to see more investment and tourism.

Being lazy here. Does anyone know the total hotel rooms planned? (Eastgate, Crown, City Inn, The Fire Station, and BT house) 1000+? Phew!
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #55
SleepyOne

EDIT

It is still a mixed office / hotel proposal as posted above.

212 room 4 star hotel and 5,363 sq m (57,736 sq ft) office space.

Last edited by SleepyOne; July 11th, 2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #56
jrb
10th February 2008

May have been posted before.

Gives a general idea of the hotel boom currently taking place in Manchester.

A LUXURY hotel boom is underway in Manchester as plans are revealed to almost double the number of high-class rooms.
Three prestige schemes outlined today will raise the number of four-star rooms serving the city centre by more than 1,000 to about 2,500.
The plans are underpinned by Manchester's increasing popularity as a business, conference sporting and entertainment centre.

Hotel owners and city tourism chiefs say attractions, including the four premiership football clubs within Greater Manchester, the G-Mex exhibition centre, Manchester International Convention Centre, the M.E.N. Arena and other concert venues, have created a bonanza.

Mixed
The three ventures revealed today are:
*A 230-bed four-star project on the Smithfield site of the bustling Northern Quarter area. Developer Ician has revealed it is having talks with the Inter-Continental Hotels Group.The group runs 19 hotels across the country under the Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn brands, including a Plaza hotel at Manchester Airport.
*A 231-bed four-star hotel in the former BT tower block on London Road. Scottish firm Macdonald Hotels wants planning permission to transform the building into a hotel with mixed office use. Macdonald operates 60 hotels and resorts in Britain and will be venturing into Manchester city centre for the first time, with the majority of its business focused on the four-star market.
*A 50-bedroom guesthouse being planned by the bosses of the award-winning Chinese restaurant Yang Sing to open in autumn 2006. The accommodation would be four or five-star and themed on "1920s Shanghai opulance". The company has bought a Grade-II listed former warehouse next to its current Princess Street site, which is undergoing extensive refurbishment.
Marketing Manchester, the city's tourist board, believes the increase in hotels will continue as the city capitalises on its reputation as one of Britain's most popular destinations.
Manchester can also boast its first five-star venue after the Radisson Edwardian on Peter Street was upgraded. The only other five-star hotel near the city centre is the Lowry in Salford.

Competition
Stewart Davies, duty manager of the Radisson Edwardian, which was opened last year after a £45million renovation of the historic Free Trade Hall, welcomed the competition.
He said: "Manchester has come a hell of a long way. Our occupancy rates are always full whenever there is anything on at G-Mex, M.E.N Arena, Conference Centre, or if there is a football match. During the week there are always business conferences and 90% of the weekend trade is leisure, particularly when United are playing. It is important we offer more and keep building Manchester as a tourist destination."
As already reported in trhe M.E.N, the massive 47-storey Beetham Tower on Deansgate will become britain's second-tallest building when it is completed next year. The first 23 floors will house a five-star 285-bedroom Hilton Hotel.
Local developer Inacity has also submitted a planning application to the council for a £220m complex next to Piccadilly Station. It includes a 250-bedroom four or five-star hotel, leisure space, shops, apartments and parking spaces.
In addition, The Great St John Street Hotel opens this week. The 30-suite venture is in the shell of the former school behind the Granada TV studios and is aimed at the four to five-star market. Room rates range from £235-£750 per night.

All About ManchesterManchester TheatreManchester HotelsManchester DatingManchester JobsManchester Used CarsManchester Estate AgentsManchester Airport ParkingManchester City FootballManchester United Football
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #57
Lionel Mandrake

This still needs a lot of work. But I present to you a partially completed survey of hotel bedrooms inside the inner relief route.

I think I've got all the major hotels (the biggest being Britannia on Portland St), but I'm missing room numbers for the budget hotels and know many of the smaller hotels have been omitted (e.g. the Ox on Liverpool Road). Feel free to correct or add to the data below.

4131 completed rooms sound like quite a lot but bear in mind that just one hotel in Vegas, the MGM Grand contains 5190 rooms. I know my list is geographically limited and must be at least 500 rooms light, but in the grand scheme of things our total room offer is almost insignificant. Therefore plenty of room for expansion.

Rooms currently trading
363 Britannia, Portland St
312 The Midland, Peter St
272 Jarvis Piccadilly
265 Jury's Inn, Gt Bridgewater St
263 Radisson Edwardian, Peter St
257 The Palace, Oxford Rd
223 Britannia Sachas, Tib St
205 Thistle, Portland St
203 Renaissance Hotel, Deansgate
167 Malmaisson, Piccadilly
165 Lowry Hotel
164 Novotel, Portland St
148 Victoria & Albert, Water St
143 Arrora, Princess St
127 Ibis, Portland St
126 Ibis, Princess St
117 Days Hotel, UMIST Campus
115 Atrium Apartotel, Portland St
108 The Place Apartotel, Ducie St
99 Gardens, Piccadilly
86 Princess, Portland St
61 Rossetti, Piccadilly
48 Castlefield Hotel, Liverpool Rd
32 Mitre, Cathedral Gate
32 Walkabout Hotel, Quay St
30 Gt John St Hotel
Travellodge, Gt Ancoats St
Merchants Hotel, Back Piccadilly
Travellodge, Blackfriars St
Premier Travel Inn, GMEX 1
Premier Travel Inn, GMEX 2
Premier Travel Inn, Portland St
Premier Travel Inn, North Tower
4131 Total

Rooms under construction
284 City Inn
279 Hilton, Deansgate
48 Yang Sing, Princess St
611 Total

Proposed
230 Crowne Plaza, Smithfield
212 McDonald, London Road
Eastgate Tower……

5184 Grand Total
Lionel Mandrake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #58
rolybling
CAN'T BE ARSED

Likes (Received): 37

Good work Lionel, I wouldn't know where to start.
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #59
Lionel Mandrake

Most of the data came from http://www.visitmanchester.com/conference/home.shtml

They quote 5,000 city centre bedrooms on the homepage. So either we are missing some or they are rounding up (probably a bit of both). They reckon there are currently 35,000 rooms available accross GM.
Lionel Mandrake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #60
hammerb24

Likes (Received): 19

I work in Manchester a lot and yes it can be a real struggle to get a hotel room, on match days it is impossible. Not listed above but there is also the Copthorne, Golden Tulip and Tulip Inn, these are in Trafford so maybe that's why they're omitted ? I do feel you should count them though, equally there's an impressive amount of hotels around the airport, a Radisson SAS, Crowne Plaza and I'm sure a Hilton spring to mind.
hammerb24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote