daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:14 PM   #1701
jrb
10th February 2008
 
jrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 30,820
Likes (Received): 2449

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
I've never seen the Hotel proposals before, doesn't look too shabby!

Maybe jrb or one of the older forumers could tell us whether they've seen that render?
TBH not seen that render before. Good find by NQ. Looks great.

Saying that, I do remember a rumour years back on here that the said site was going to be developed. As per nothing ever came of that rumour.
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:34 PM   #1702
highriser
Registered User
 
highriser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,304
Likes (Received): 19

The Flatiron building just off Piccadilly would make a great hotel
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:49 PM   #1703
jaymmu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 159
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by highriser View Post
The Flatiron building just off Piccadilly would make a great hotel
Do you reckon? I don't think it'd be great as there'd be constant traffic outside 24 hours, no parking (or any secure paid parking near by), no views and poor light in the lower rooms.
I thought that somebody had taken it on to open it up as office space.
jaymmu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:34 PM   #1704
Chogmook
Mancunian Member
 
Chogmook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Stalybridge, Manchester
Posts: 6,266
Likes (Received): 49

Since Stephenson Bell designed the Free Trade Hall extension, I wonder if they will resurrect this design for the back of the Theatre Royal!?




http://www.rogerstephenson-architect...ower.html#main
__________________
Britain is Great, Manchester is Greater!
Chogmook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:49 PM   #1705
GShutty
Registered User
 
GShutty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lancs
Posts: 2,371
Likes (Received): 438

Hotel du Vin, for the Century House anybody? I'm sure some sort of deal could be (Fred) Done!
__________________
Keep the Faith.
GShutty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #1706
nq
 
nq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
The plans are now online, the hotel will be a new Travelodge. Some of the sketchs and elevations show the long planned Park Inn hotel next door to the proposed Travelodge.

This one goes to committee next week, looks to have had a few amendments.


Quote:
77878/FULL/2011 | Site of former MKM House, Warwick Road, Old Trafford | Erection of seven storey hotel, comprising ninety eight bedrooms and car parking at ground floor level.
nq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 01:36 AM   #1707
nq
 
nq's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,270

SACO's apart-hotel on Minshull St was approved, 63 apartments, conversion from office.

100836/FO/2012/C2
nq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2012, 01:59 PM   #1708
flange
Registered User
 
flange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,755
Likes (Received): 636

Quote:
Bloc to roll out affordable designer hotels across UK

21st December

By Kat Spybey

Bloc Hotels is gearing up for a UK-wide rollout and has obtained a finance package for its second hotel at Gatwick airport.

The group opened its first 73-bedroom hotel in Birmingham in April last year. It has obtained a £7m development funding package from Natwest to develop its second site, which links directly into Gatwick’s south terminal.The 244-bedroom hotel will be worth £12m on completion and is due to open in summer 2013.

Bloc offers rooms for around £45 a night. As demand for design-led, affordable hotels rockets, the hotel developer and operator is now seeking to open a portfolio of 10 hotels before the end of 2017, totalling around 2,500 rooms. It plans to extend this to 5,000 rooms by 2020.

The hotels are developed in a factory as complete rooms and then slotted into place. They can be manufactured in three months and put together in just eight days.

The group aims to capitalise on the conversion of secondary office space to other uses and is targeting both city centre freehold and leasehold opportunities.

The first step of the expansion involves extending the existing £3.5m Birmingham hotel by more than a third.

Bloc has bought the 15,000 sq ft property next to its existing hotel on Caroline Street for around £400,000 and has planning consent to convert it into 28 larger rooms, each with a kitchenette and lounge.

The average Bloc room is around 10 sq m, but the enlarged rooms will be double this. The extension is expected to open in September.

Bloc is looking at sites for new hotels in London, Edinburgh, Brighton, Manchester and other airport and transport hubs. It is focusing in particular on the capital, where it anticipates that it could ultimately operate up to 10 hotels.

It is also considering expanding into the US and is keen to find sites in Brooklyn, New York, and Yale in New Haven.

Rob Morgan, founder and director of Bloc, said: “This is something that is scalable globally, so if you are in a particular location and see a Bloc hotel you will know what you will get, much like McDonald’s or Starbucks. That’s what we want to achieve. We want international scale and brand awareness.”

Bloc will also pioneer new mobile technology at the Gatwick hotel, which will enable occupants to control the lighting and air conditioning within their room from their smartphone.
http://www.propertyweek.com/news/new...047917.article

http://blochotels.com/
flange está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #1709
GShutty
Registered User
 
GShutty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lancs
Posts: 2,371
Likes (Received): 438

There appears to have been some more activity on the Brown Bros. building off Chapel St.
__________________
Keep the Faith.
GShutty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #1710
man med
DJ MedZ
 
man med's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,382
Likes (Received): 104

http://www.magproperty.co.uk/property-search/detail/85

Airport City Plot 110
Plot 110 Building 1a

Location: Manchester Airport > Airport City North
Property Type: Hotel
Floors: 6
Site Area (Acres): 0.4
Maximum Floorplate Size: 17,424 sq ft
Total Gross Internal Area: 104,755 sq ft
Designed as an international destination in its own right, Airport City will comprise over 4 million ft2 of quality design and build business space, including: Manufacturing, logistics accommodation, grade A offices, hotels, retail and leisure across a 150 acre regeneration site. Through its ownership of Manchester Airport and Airport City, MAG Developments owns the proposed site in full, enabling fewer complications and faster project delivery timescales than competing new build schemes. Benefits include:

Bespoke design and build opportunity
Ability to deliver BREEAM very good / excellent building
Part of a brand new, landscaped and sustainable location
Wealth of on-site and local amenities
Within the Manchester Enterprise Zone
On-site car parking
Only minutes walk from main transport hub
Local, regional and national bus and train connections
Direct access to M56 and regional motorway network
Easy access to all 3 airport terminals
Metrolink arriving 2016
__________________
.
.
.

https://soundcloud.com/deejay-medz
man med no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #1711
flange
Registered User
 
flange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,755
Likes (Received): 636

Work could soon be starting on the new Travelodge at Piccadilly Gardens, with this happening soon.

Quote:
P.S. As this story was being circulated we received the following response from the City Council. A spokesperson, said: "We have recently consulted with local residents and businesses over the temporary relocation of the bus stop at the bottom Oldham Street to Stevenson Square while private development work takes place to the former Nobels Arcade building at the corner of Oldham Street and Piccadilly. For the future, we are also exploring the potential of a greening scheme for the area. We will continue to work with local people as and when plans are established."
http://www.manchesterconfidential.co...trian-Question
flange está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 01:55 AM   #1712
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***
 
poshbakerloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London, Manchester, Sheffield, Moscow
Posts: 4,777
Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogmook View Post
Since Stephenson Bell designed the Free Trade Hall extension, I wonder if they will resurrect this design for the back of the Theatre Royal!?




http://www.rogerstephenson-architect...ower.html#main
I think Radisson bought Theatre Royal already and has their own plans.
__________________
"BEFORE WE MARRY...I HAVE A SECRET!"

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #1713
Charlesstreet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 108
Likes (Received): 1

From today's MEN:

The building, currently an amusement arcade in the heart of Piccadilly Gardens, will play host to a 157-room Travelodge, complete with a cafe bar.

Supermarket chain Morrisons will open an M Local convenience store in the building, which was gutted by the 1979 blaze that claimed the lives of 10 people trapped inside.

Restaurant chains Zizzi and Nandos will also both open branches at the site, which has become an eyesore in recent years.

The revamp is being led by the building's owner Associated Property Investors and will be finished by December.

API managing director Chris Dalzell said: &ldquo;As owners of the building, we are very pleased that after a long period of under use, we have been able to bring forward the refurbishment of this important and well known building in Piccadilly Gardens.

&ldquo;The impressive tenant line up is testament to both the quality of the location and the strength of the Manchester economy.&rdquo;

The fire in the former Woolworths building was thought to have been caused by a cigarette igniting flammable, toxic furniture on the ground floor.

Shoppers watched helplessly as fire crews battled the blaze but locked fire escapes and bars on the windows meant many of those inside were unable to escape.

The revamp is now going ahead just more than a year after a family feud over its future use was settled.

Brothers Michael and Philip Noble owned the building through their £100m Noble Group business, based in the north east.

Following Michael's 2006 death, widow Gill wanted to press ahead with plans for the leisure development, which involved evicting Philip's amusements business from the site.

Court of Appeal judges ruled in Gill's favour, paving the way for the facelift to go ahead. That can now happen after funding from HSBC was secured.

Travelodge will open its fifth hotel in Manchester city centre, which will lead to the creation of 32 jobs. The chain has pledged all will be filled through Jobcentre Plus locally.

The M Local shop, which will cover 12,000 sq ft and will include a hot food takeaway counter, will create around 20 jobs.

Meanwhile, Zizzi will occupy 6,750 sq ft and Nandos will take 5,000 sq ft. They will create more than 50 jobs between them.

Paul Harvey, managing director for development at Travelodge, said: &ldquo;We are delighted to have secured this prime site in the heart of Manchester city centre.

&ldquo;Manchester has traded very well over the past five years, with a thriving leisure offering thanks to its strong retail offer, vibrant social scene, the Manchester arena and due to the continued success of the city&rsquo;s famous football clubs, City and United.

&ldquo;When you also account for a strong business sector, boosted by the MediaCity UK development and arrival of the BBC at Salford Quays, the demand for good quality, value accommodation in Manchester city centre is growing.&rdquo;

Gordon Mowat, group strategy director at Morrisons, said: &ldquo;We&rsquo;re excited to be bringing another Morrisons M Local to Manchester.

&ldquo;Our convenience stores make it easier for busy professionals to cook a meal from scratch or pick up fresh ingredients on the way home.&rdquo;

GMI Construction Group, of Leeds, is the building contractor, with Garnett Netherwood the scheme architects.

Jones Lang LaSalle&rsquo;s Leeds and Manchester offices acted on behalf of API. Jenics represented Travelodge.
Charlesstreet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #1714
chrisja1000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 35
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesstreet View Post
From today's MEN:

The building, currently an amusement arcade in the heart of Piccadilly Gardens, will play host to a 157-room Travelodge, complete with a cafe bar.

Supermarket chain Morrisons will open an M Local convenience store in the building, which was gutted by the 1979 blaze that claimed the lives of 10 people trapped inside.

Restaurant chains Zizzi and Nandos will also both open branches at the site, which has become an eyesore in recent years.

The revamp is being led by the building's owner Associated Property Investors and will be finished by December.

API managing director Chris Dalzell said: &ldquo;As owners of the building, we are very pleased that after a long period of under use, we have been able to bring forward the refurbishment of this important and well known building in Piccadilly Gardens.

&ldquo;The impressive tenant line up is testament to both the quality of the location and the strength of the Manchester economy.&rdquo;

The fire in the former Woolworths building was thought to have been caused by a cigarette igniting flammable, toxic furniture on the ground floor.

Shoppers watched helplessly as fire crews battled the blaze but locked fire escapes and bars on the windows meant many of those inside were unable to escape.

The revamp is now going ahead just more than a year after a family feud over its future use was settled.

Brothers Michael and Philip Noble owned the building through their £100m Noble Group business, based in the north east.

Following Michael's 2006 death, widow Gill wanted to press ahead with plans for the leisure development, which involved evicting Philip's amusements business from the site.

Court of Appeal judges ruled in Gill's favour, paving the way for the facelift to go ahead. That can now happen after funding from HSBC was secured.

Travelodge will open its fifth hotel in Manchester city centre, which will lead to the creation of 32 jobs. The chain has pledged all will be filled through Jobcentre Plus locally.

The M Local shop, which will cover 12,000 sq ft and will include a hot food takeaway counter, will create around 20 jobs.

Meanwhile, Zizzi will occupy 6,750 sq ft and Nandos will take 5,000 sq ft. They will create more than 50 jobs between them.

Paul Harvey, managing director for development at Travelodge, said: &ldquo;We are delighted to have secured this prime site in the heart of Manchester city centre.

&ldquo;Manchester has traded very well over the past five years, with a thriving leisure offering thanks to its strong retail offer, vibrant social scene, the Manchester arena and due to the continued success of the city&rsquo;s famous football clubs, City and United.

&ldquo;When you also account for a strong business sector, boosted by the MediaCity UK development and arrival of the BBC at Salford Quays, the demand for good quality, value accommodation in Manchester city centre is growing.&rdquo;

Gordon Mowat, group strategy director at Morrisons, said: &ldquo;We&rsquo;re excited to be bringing another Morrisons M Local to Manchester.

&ldquo;Our convenience stores make it easier for busy professionals to cook a meal from scratch or pick up fresh ingredients on the way home.&rdquo;

GMI Construction Group, of Leeds, is the building contractor, with Garnett Netherwood the scheme architects.

Jones Lang LaSalle&rsquo;s Leeds and Manchester offices acted on behalf of API. Jenics represented Travelodge.

Any investment is good in Piccadilly and the fact it will be finished by Christmas is good also.

I just can't help but laugh at the thought of people having their morining breakfast watching the tramps, dealers and general piccadilly riff raff going past!!
chrisja1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1715
heatonparkincakes
Registered User
 
heatonparkincakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,747
Likes (Received): 295

I guess Chris like most people who know or perhaps endure Piccadilly Gardens will welcome any investment, simply as it's a Kip.

I would invite Longford Ripple to launch a thirty page diatribe polemic rant, but the Gardens is a sour bag of mish fits.

But I have hope now for as the PR man says:

"Busy professionals will now be able to cook a meal from scratch."

Progress.
__________________
1914 Lions led by donkeys
2014 Lions led by donkeys
heatonparkincakes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #1716
flange
Registered User
 
flange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,755
Likes (Received): 636

As we know the redevelopment has been on the cards for ages for this site, like others have said it is good to see it will be turned around in such a quick time though.

A new render from the news article

flange está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #1717
boyaloud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 133
Likes (Received): 9

Looks like the building will be blandised and the lovely mirrorball will go in that render Where will it live? Excited for the M Local though, that will be a great addition and hopefully we'll get a big Waitrose (dahling) at First St/Ancoats/elsewhere now.
boyaloud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1718
LongRipple
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Manchester
Posts: 789
Likes (Received): 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatonparkincakes View Post
I would invite Longford Ripple to launch a thirty page diatribe polemic rant, but the Gardens is a sour bag of mish fits.
Will just reply in single sentences if it's all the same Parklifer.

Not bothered about this.

Bad memories of Piccadilly 21's Discotheque.

Could actually be the only decent looking Travelodge in the world.

Piccaddilly Gardens was always full of scruffy buggers.

Accompanied by ratdogs on string.

Progress?


image hosted on flickr
__________________
Nothing dates faster than Man's vision of the future
LongRipple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #1719
iheartthenew
Registered User
 
iheartthenew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: THE DIZZY HEIGHTS
Posts: 3,943
Likes (Received): 693

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyaloud View Post
Looks like the building will be blandised and the lovely mirrorball will go in that render Where will it live? Excited for the M Local though, that will be a great addition and hopefully we'll get a big Waitrose (dahling) at First St/Ancoats/elsewhere now.


Blandised? Please expand on what you mean by that. I can only assume, looking at the render, you are referring to the lack of detail included in the render itself or the removal of naff peeling blue plywood facia above the doors of Piccadilly 21?
__________________
Most of the stuff you see around you is the work of people no better than you or I.
iheartthenew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #1720
Splurb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 129
Likes (Received): 4

Luxury serviced apartment operator looking for site in Manchester, possibly Deansgate:

http://mobile.bighospitality.co.uk/S...d#.UQUWnC4gGc0
Splurb no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu