daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast » Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

Old November 24th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #1
weill
North Roanoke

Likes (Received): 0

Virginia's Most Dangerous Cities

Morgan Quitno Press, a Kansas-based publishing and research firm, ranked cities in a list of the states most dangerous cities witha a population of 75,000 or more.

The Score of "0.00" would reflect an average crime rate at the national rate. A postive score reflects an average rate above the national rate. A negative score, reflects an average below the national rate.

CITY....................................................................Score
1. Richmond..........................................................266.56
2. Roanoke............................................................64.51
3. Portsmouth........................................................61.39
4. Newport News....................................................53.33
5. Norfolk..............................................................41.26
6. Hampton............................................................0.56
7. Chesapeake.......................................................-6.40
8. Virginia Beach....................................................-39.67

What do you think about these? Have a Great Thanksgiving -weill-
weill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 24th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
eastwestrob
Daddyrabbit

Likes (Received): 6

Ashamed to say that Richmond finally makes it to the top of a list.
eastwestrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #3
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 307

oh god no, lock your doors at night and don't talk to strangers!!! better yet, move to the suburbs, in a gated community.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #4
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 5

should i be shocked that no Northern Virginia cities made the list or no?
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #5
wrldcoupe4

Likes (Received): 1

What? There aren't many independent cities in NoVa anyways. Besides, Alexandria is the biggest and only one even eligible for the morgan quitno publication (it only includes cities over 75k, so unfortunately, mighty cities like Manassas Park and Falls Church aren't included). Most people live in the never ending suburbia that typifies Northern Virginia.

Mcmansion.... Mcmansion..... strip mall!.... overpriced townhouse....overpriced townhouse... Mcmansion.... Strip Mall!

---------------------------------
eastwestrob... are you a Richmonder?
wrldcoupe4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #6
Dale

Likes (Received): 1781

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd
oh god no, lock your doors at night and don't talk to strangers!!! better yet, move to the suburbs, in a gated community.

-
Well, locking your doors at night is a generally good idea. Can't vouch for the others you mentioned.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 06:21 AM   #7
Sean in New Orleans

Likes (Received): 7

Use common sense, no matter what large city you are in, and you'll be fine. In other words, if it looks like a "crack" neighborhood, then it is a "crack" neighborhood.
Old November 26th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #8
DCKenny

Eventhough I'm from DC, I always known Richmond is kind of dangerous place to live!
DCKenny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 04:22 AM   #9
wrldcoupe4

if you live in the projects sure... just like if you live near RFK... or you pick your D.C. project.

Most of the city is fine.
Old November 26th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #10
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 3

I can tell you one thing, even with the sprawl and the boring life,...etc., there is no part of northern va that's like a petersburg or parts of richmond or roanoke. How you even mention Manassas Park or Falls Church is laughable.

But even then, yes, there's too many independent cities for anything to be included in it.

Richmond is a nice city, it's got a lot of work to do, but tons of potential, I really hope people don't hype these kinds of stats too much, I'm so used to defending DC, even now that the city is a least a little better, people still want to believe it's crack-infested like the '80s. These stats reflect a sad situation usually among in an isolated area usually among a isolated community.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 10:48 PM   #11
wrldcoupe4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaWolverine
These stats reflect a sad situation usually among in an isolated area usually among a isolated community.
Exactly.... I used Falls Church and Manassas park for a laugh Alexandria is pretty much the only real city in NoVa.

The stat sucks, but it's only one step back back (or really just not a step forward)... there are SO many things happening in Richmond that are awesome.
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #12
wrldcoupe4

Thought this was worth noting:

"A 2004 report for Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) shows the Richmond MSA with 431 violent crimes per 100,000 inhabitants. That compares with 730 for Jacksonville, 872 for Nashville, and 763 for Charlotte. Of the nine categories comprising this violent-crime index, Richmond has the highest rate in only one category, murder and non-negligent manslaughter -- and actually has the lowest rate in several of the other categories. This report doesn't mean we don't have serious issues requiring attention. Every crime is personal, and even one is too many. But we do need to understand we aren't as bad as we are often perceived."
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #13
deadmaker7

I guess it reflects well on VA that even its worst is really not that bad.
deadmaker7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #14
e2ksj3

Although that data maybe correct, its really unfair when comparing VA cities to others across the nation, because of that fact that it limits city boundaries to small areas, usually in more fragile areas. If they included parts of Henrico County (which some parts actually have Richmond addresses), it would probably be on the same level as a Raleigh or Greensboro. I don't know who's idea was it to come up with a totally separate jurisdiction for the city, but it wasn't very smart, because it increases the divide between inner city schools and suburban schools.

I agree though on Northern Virginia, there just aren't enough independent cities there to compare with the rest of the state, but there are pockets of poverty (especially around Triangle/Quantico) there as well.
e2ksj3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:11 AM   #15
lammius
Jersey FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3
I don't know who's idea was it to come up with a totally separate jurisdiction for the city, but it wasn't very smart, because it increases the divide between inner city schools and suburban schools.
That would be Medieval Brits. Virginia adopted the same city/county relationship ye olde England had. Apart from Baltimore, MD there's nothing like it in the U.S.
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #16
ROCguy

Maybe that smell in Richmond is that of decayed bodies instead of the tobacco plants.
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #17
ralex231

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCguy
Maybe that smell in Richmond is that of decayed bodies instead of the tobacco plants.

thats gross lol
ralex231 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #18
wrldcoupe4

What's your beef with Richmond?

I thought I already explained to you, that since you simply drive through Richmond, you can smell the Waste water treatment plant on the south side of the I-95 bridge. I'm sure even the shit in Rochester stinks.

And you are the only person I've ever heard mention tobacco plants smelling. Do you even know where they are?

Don't waste my time with your ignorance.
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #19
LA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldcoupe4
What? There aren't many independent cities in NoVa anyways. Besides, Alexandria is the biggest and only one even eligible for the morgan quitno publication (it only includes cities over 75k, so unfortunately, mighty cities like Manassas Park and Falls Church aren't included). Most people live in the never ending suburbia that typifies Northern Virginia.

Mcmansion.... Mcmansion..... strip mall!.... overpriced townhouse....overpriced townhouse... Mcmansion.... Strip Mall!

---------------------------------
eastwestrob... are you a Richmonder?
^LOL. .....sterile lowrise office park....sums up NOVA.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #20
LA1

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3
Although that data maybe correct, its really unfair when comparing VA cities to others across the nation, because of that fact that it limits city boundaries to small areas, usually in more fragile areas. If they included parts of Henrico County (which some parts actually have Richmond addresses), it would probably be on the same level as a Raleigh or Greensboro. I don't know who's idea was it to come up with a totally separate jurisdiction for the city, but it wasn't very smart, because it increases the divide between inner city schools and suburban schools.

I agree though on Northern Virginia, there just aren't enough independent cities there to compare with the rest of the state, but there are pockets of poverty (especially around Triangle/Quantico) there as well.
Baileys Crossroads, parts of South Arlington or NE Alexandria arent wealthy nor too safe either. Route 1 corridor is full of section 8 housing as well.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote