daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which of these icons do you prefer?
Chrysler Building 87 59.59%
Bank of China Tower 59 40.41%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 11th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #41
BoCHK
Bank of China

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
The kinda consider The Empire State Building greater than The Chrysler. It's because of the height and position. Now, if the Chrysler has the height and was built where The Empire State Building is at, I think it will gain more recognition!

On the other hand, I prefer The Bank Of China over the Chrysler. Any skyscraper can imitate The Empire State or Chrysler but there is no other building on earth that is similar to The BoC!

If you're gonna talk about extraordinary skyscrapers, The Bank Of China best fit this category!
Yeah, the Chrysler is quite small in comparison to the height and sheer power the Empire State Building brings to the table. However, it is still 319 m to the top of the spire and one of the tallest buildings in the world today despite being built in 1930. Quite impressive, and the crown at the top puts it above the ESB in my mind. Both are of course in my top ten favorite skyscrapers.
BoCHK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #42
fish

Likes (Received):

My vote goes for the classic art deco Chrysler Building!

The Chrysler Building defines height, imagination and beauty.

The crown is amazing day and night.

The Chrysler building was duplicated in Philadelphia with the Liberty Place towers (while not as high, the top is very similar, yet different enough not to be a copycat).

If the Chrysler building were to open up for tourists, it would generate a tremendous amount of revenue.
Old January 11th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #43
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2573

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish
My vote goes for the classic art deco Chrysler Building!

The Chrysler Building defines height, imagination and beauty.

The crown is amazing day and night.

The Chrysler building was duplicated in Philadelphia with the Liberty Place towers (while not as high, the top is very similar, yet different enough not to be a copycat).

If the Chrysler building were to open up for tourists, it would generate a tremendous amount of revenue.
Between The Liberty Place and The Chrysler I'll definitely pick The Chrysler!

But no skyscraper has duplicated The Bank Of China! That's what makes it really unique! There was one proposed in Jakarta that resembles The BoC but it was shorter and were actually twin towers. It was also desiged by Pei Cobb Freed and Partners but the building was never constructured!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 05:41 AM   #44
BoCHK
Bank of China

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
Between The Liberty Place and The Chrysler I'll definitely pick The Chrysler!

But no skyscraper has duplicated The Bank Of China!
Nor should they try. If they do it deserves nothing less than to be tossed aside as a fake and fraud. Unless of course, I.M. Pei himself decides to go forth with any such project.

I'll be quite angry about it, honestly.
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #45
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Chrysler is more regal and classy looking. Timeless.
Bank of China is just another tall, glassy building.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #46
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

But with a unique look!

I think alot of forumers have underestimated the beauty of Bank Of China! Probably because they wished that it was built in their city!

Old January 11th, 2006, 06:53 AM   #47
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Location: Banja Luka - San Francisco - Washington DC - Taipei - Damascus - Amman - Jakarta - Seoul
Likes (Received): 4969

Chrysler Building, the design the art deco feel. for me it will stand the test of time.

“The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles” - Mahatma Gandhi

LordMarshall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2006, 08:32 AM   #48
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Thank God Bank Of China was built in HK

Old January 16th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #49
EtherealMist
The World Is Yours

Likes (Received): 17

chysler... its crown is one of the best looking things i have ever seen in my life. plus it has GARGOYLES!!
EtherealMist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #50
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Though the Chrysler is impressive, it looks similar in all four sides. You don't get the same thing with The Bank Of China. Each side offers a unique look!

Old January 18th, 2006, 03:44 AM   #51
dom

Likes (Received): 9

Aha... I was waiting for this thread to be created.

In pictures these are 2 fantastic skyscrapers. The Chrysler Building has such verve and style, and only a few skyscrapers worldwide come close (such the new Swiss Re building).

The Bank of China is a stunning building in the photos - no doubt about that. I was really looking forward to seeing the building as I thought it was such an innovative and original tower. However when I saw it in the flesh I was instantly unerved by it. It felt haunted and I picked up very bad vibes from it.

The base of the tower is creepy. For a bank building it looks and appears remarkably fragile as it is crystalline and it looks as though it could shatter into a thousand pieces. The bamboo sticks at the top remind me of funerals in Japan and X's just have death written all over them. The entrances at the base are semi circles and just look like 'holes' where the banks money will flow out of, haemorraging money. I felt disturbed just being near it.

You may be thinking this is a preposterous review of this building but it just really unnerved me. I thought I'd love the building but I ended up wanting to keep well away from it. I'm not Japanese, I'm from London so don't judge me on my nationality - this isn't a anti-China bashing session. I loved Hong Kong to bits but this building felt haunting and forboding. Maybe there is something in Feng Shui afterall.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:13 AM   #52
BoCHK
Bank of China

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom
Aha... I was waiting for this thread to be created.

In pictures these are 2 fantastic skyscrapers. The Chrysler Building has such verve and style, and only a few skyscrapers worldwide come close (such the new Swiss Re building).

The Bank of China is a stunning building in the photos - no doubt about that. I was really looking forward to seeing the building as I thought it was such an innovative and original tower. However when I saw it in the flesh I was instantly unerved by it. It felt haunted and I picked up very bad vibes from it.

The base of the tower is creepy. For a bank building it looks and appears remarkably fragile as it is crystalline and it looks as though it could shatter into a thousand pieces. The bamboo sticks at the top remind me of funerals in Japan and X's just have death written all over them. The entrances at the base are semi circles and just look like 'holes' where the banks money will flow out of, haemorraging money. I felt disturbed just being near it.

You may be thinking this is a preposterous review of this building but it just really unnerved me. I thought I'd love the building but I ended up wanting to keep well away from it. I'm not Japanese, I'm from London so don't judge me on my nationality - this isn't a anti-China bashing session. I loved Hong Kong to bits but this building felt haunting and forboding. Maybe there is something in Feng Shui afterall.
You're actually not alone in your opinion. Although, there are many others who were even more blown away in a positive and admiring sense when they saw it in person.
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:32 AM   #53
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Honestly the base is ok. Not the best in the world but the base is ok

Old January 18th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #54
mr_storms

tie, both are tied for top 3 for me (along with ESB)
Old January 18th, 2006, 10:10 AM   #55
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

New York's got The Empire State and Chrysler while Hong Kong's got Central Plaza and Bank Of China Also The Centre

Old January 18th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #56
dom

Likes (Received): 9

Thanks for your comment. The building just spooked me thats all. Central Plaza is a cracking tower, as is 2IFC, Jardines, Lippo, CK Centre, Standard Chartered (so much better in the flesh than in photos) and HSBC (more than lived up to its potential). None of those towers gave me anything other than good vibes.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #57
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom
Thanks for your comment. The building just spooked me thats all. Central Plaza is a cracking tower, as is 2IFC, Jardines, Lippo, CK Centre, Standard Chartered (so much better in the flesh than in photos) and HSBC (more than lived up to its potential). None of those towers gave me anything other than good vibes.
That's why The Central Plaza is called "The Cat Scratch"

Honestly Central Plaza is ok but I look at it as an Empire State look alike. But it's still a nice scraper.

Anyway, both Bank of China and Chrysler are some of the most impressive buildings in the world. But The Bank Of China is very unique. It defined The Asian skyscraper and it recognized not just HK but Asia on the scraper map!

Old January 19th, 2006, 12:41 PM   #58
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

Chrysler is forever............
satit28 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 12:27 AM   #59
Hindustani

Likes (Received): 626

chrysler Building's crown is the best crown I have ever seen. No competition here. Chryslers wins it hands down.
Hindustani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 01:16 AM   #60
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Chrysler...a masterpiece...details are just too beautiful !! from the elevators to the crown!!

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote