daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #1
eomaha.com

Likes (Received): 13

Omaha Development News

Wanted to share with you an update... as always, visit the Development section of eOmaha.com for details on these projects...

NOTE: All photos are clickable thumbnails

The downtown Holland Performing Arts Center opened earlier this fall. It is receiving rave reviews from around the nation (here's a recent article from the Dallas Morning News http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/ent/....21d6a8ff.html)

Biggest news at the moment are a couple of competing proposals for the former UP headquarters site downtown... both over 300 feet...

This one mostly condos with ground level retail/restaurants

This one with 80% office space, remaining condos and retail/restaurant space

The Rows at SoMa (South Old Market) are in their third phase, complete project has 83 units

Riverfront Place consists of two 12 story condo towers and rowhouses

Museum Kaneko, contemporary art museum and residency program

Zorinsky Federal Building

'Slowdown' mixed use development (underwritten largely by the people who brought your Conor Oberst/Bright Eyes... ie Saddlecreek Records), will comprise a concert all, Indie theatre, restaurant/bar, apartments/condos

'Slowdown' is in the new 'North Downtown' district (what used to be a barren wasteland of Union Pacific rail yards), which has a significant master plan, among other things calling for a new downtown minor league baseball park...

At Omaha's Midtown... Mutual of Omaha is pushing a new mixed use urban district of it's own on the east edge of it's campus...

And farther out west on the grounds of what used to be the 'Aksarben' horse race track... there are plans for another urban district called 'Aksarben Village'

Back downtown... numerous more new loft construction and conversions...

1101 Jackson St (Old Market)

902 Dodge St

Beebe & Runyan

'The Hill'

The Paxton

Brandies Building

Barker Building

Row 19

Jackson Street Condos

Olde Village Square

14th and Leavenworth

Lerner Building

even Creighton University is getting in on the act with new student housing

And in closing... while it has had problems with earlier cost estimates, civic leaders are re-grouping and construction is anticipated on the Missouri River spanning pedestrian bridge next year... which will be the crown jewel for downtown Omaha (see Riverfront Place photo above for another rendering of the bridge set next to that condominium development).

Thanks, that's all for now...

Last edited by eomaha.com; April 18th, 2006 at 06:46 PM.
eomaha.com no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2005, 05:16 AM   #2
ScraperDude
lagom

Likes (Received): 128

Im glad for Omaha all of this looks awesome!!!
ScraperDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 05:30 AM   #3
gych
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

wow lots of stuff planned, but does Onaha already have a lot of urban condos/retail in its downtown? That new tower sure is nice.....
gych no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #4
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

I thought that the UP proposal was to be decided weeks ago.

Still hoping for the tower though.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #5
rider_of_rohan
Savior of Gondor

Likes (Received): 410

Very very nice. Love the looks of that new performing arts center. Good for Omaha, glad to see its doing so well.
Old November 29th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #6
eomaha.com

Thanks guys.

Regarding the question of downtown residential presence as it stands today... there are about 6,000 people living downtown, mostly in apartments. With the sharp increase in condo demand, many of these have begun converting to condominiums. Until the recent boom, most condos were very custom units, in small numbers, above retail/restaurants in our 'Old Market' district. This is where you'll find what little retail exists downtown today. Most of the retail in the Old Market is eclectic stuff, probably appealing more to the evening/weekend visitors from the suburbs more... than day to day needs of downtown residents... contemporary furnishings, fashionable clothing stores, art galleries. Some of Omaha's very best restaurants are in the Old Market as well. A great place for tourists (and certainly a very appealing place to hang out for residents as well)... but not real practical for downtown residents, again, I'm speaking more from a standpoint of day to day shopping opportunities. There is a small grocer. With all the new residential, it is hoped downtown will get another, larger grocery store.

Some Old Market district photos...

Many more photos here: http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/oldmarket
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:51 AM   #7
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomaha.com
Wanted to share with you an update... as always, visit the Development section of eOmaha.com for details on these projects...

this tower looks very impressive i must say.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 04:41 AM   #8
DTO Luv
Fiercly Omahan

You left out my favorite project Jeff, the Qwest Center expansion. This arena is only 2 years old and one of the most profitable in the world both years of it's existance.

Here's the rendering.
DTO Luv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 09:16 AM   #9
gych
BANNED

Wow, Omaha's development looks strikingly similar to Louisvilles. Does Omaha have significant residential/retail/nightlife downtown as of today? I know about Old Market but are their other major urban nightlife/shopping districts?

I think Lville is a step ahead with the Waterfront development, and our new pedestrian bridge across the Ohio (on an old railroad truss) which should be completed in 2008. But it looks like I need to come up and check out the big "O" lol.
gych no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 02:15 AM   #10
DTO Luv
Fiercly Omahan

Here's the before pic of the arena expansion.

Old December 4th, 2005, 02:27 AM   #11
DTO Luv
Fiercly Omahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gych
Wow, Omaha's development looks strikingly similar to Louisvilles. Does Omaha have significant residential/retail/nightlife downtown as of today? I know about Old Market but are their other major urban nightlife/shopping districts?

I think Lville is a step ahead with the Waterfront development, and our new pedestrian bridge across the Ohio (on an old railroad truss) which should be completed in 2008. But it looks like I need to come up and check out the big "O" lol.
The Old Market is pretty dominant in DT Omaha as far as nightlife. 16th St. is going to have more retail since every single building on that street is residential (condo & rental). A guy I met is working on bringing some sort of retail to a main corner of this street but they are deciding what will be the most usefull to have.

The other area of DT that is starting to increase in terms of nightlife is the north DT. There is already a building (TipTop Building) there that houses luxury apts., an arcade, a restaurant (Inplay), and a conferance center (Forte). Their are two hotels that are going to be built there between InPlay and the Qwest Center. A new music club/apt. building is going to be built by SaddleCreek Records.

We are still waiting for more day-to-day retail. A local grocer and one from Seattle are looking at seperate locations DT. Their already is a full service grocery in the area but people consider it more Midtown Omaha than Downtown.
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:02 AM   #12
eomaha.com

A couple of these condo loft buildings are planned for the 'SoMa' development south of Omaha's Old Market.

[img]http://i2.************/vgpiir.jpg[/img]
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #13
eomaha.com

As may or may not have been reported... there had been problems with getting bids which came in under budget for Omaha's Missouri River spanning pedestrian bridge. The city decided to issue a new RFP which requested proposals for a complete design/build solution (rather than soliciting bids on building the cities selected design). The budget is $22 million... and here are the proposals which have come back... 2 of them looking pretty much just what the city started with... the mayor/city council will approve a selection and the hope is to yet get this project started within the year.

Proposal 1

Proposal 2

Proposal 3
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #14
eomaha.com

Update on the first phase of Riverfront Place (photo courtesy of one of my forum members)... the pedestrian bridge above will land right smack in the foreground of this photo.

Here's a model showing completed phases 1 and 2 with the pedestrian bridge...

Last edited by eomaha.com; April 21st, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old April 17th, 2006, 04:13 PM   #15
historybuffer

Likes (Received): 5

eomaha.com.

I would have definitely gone with "proposal 2" for the Missouri river bridge.
The other Stayed cable style looks like the "Sunshine Skyway" bridge, the progenitor of this aesthetic, in Florida, or the style that every city is building these days. The famous "Ting Kau Bridge" from Hong Kong's airport to the mainland, Boston has the Bunker Hill bridge, version, Milwaukee has two, albeit one designed by Calatrava (new flavor of the day, move over Frank Gehry.) My favorite in this trend is the "Sundial Bridge" in Redding, California a new variation on this engineering concept.
historybuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #16
eomaha.com

Thanks buffer... I personally lean towards the twin tower cable stayed designs, as much as anything because of their curving decks. I'll be ecstatic to see any of these designs built.

Just continuing to bring this thread up to date... here are a few warehouse condo loft conversion photo updates from eOmaha.com forum members...

Former Paxton Hotel
[img]http://i2.************/t0rrb7.jpg[/img]

902 Dodge

1101 Jackson

Beebe & Runyan

Kimball Laundry
[img]http://i1.************/sg4qwm.jpg[/img]
Old April 17th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #17
eomaha.com

The Zorinsky Federal Building renovation has been in planning since just before the OKC bombing... and as a result, it went through many delays while the GAO decided to take another look at how they build their structures. After sitting empty for several years, it's finally getting close to completion. I'm still trying to figure out what generation of people actually were drawn to the original design of the building (complete with aqua colored metal panels). Needless to say, the renovation brings a big improvement.

Before

After
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #18
eomaha.com

$52 million, 134,000 sq ft Sorrell Center on the Midtown campus of the University of Nebraska Medical Center (which has just moved up to #11 in the US News' ranking of top primary care medical schools in the nation).

Also anticipated to break ground relatively soon is a second research tower on the west end of the UNMC campus.

UNMC is rapidly beginning to develop a small skyline of it's own (foreground).

First research tower...

Lied Transplant center tower

Last edited by eomaha.com; April 17th, 2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old April 17th, 2006, 06:23 PM   #19
eomaha.com

We had a thread dedicated for this, but I'm going to place this information here to ensure everything is centralized under a single thread...

Wallstreet Tower
32 stories, 373 feet
$100 million
Developer: Townsend Development
Completion: 2009

This project is being built on the site of the former Union Pacific headquarters building and is the include ground level retail/restaurants.

Old April 20th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #20
eomaha.com

New condo development for the Old Market

Just announced... jLofts, a $22 million development with ground level retail/office space ... 55 units in a new 6 1/2 story structure to be located at the NWC of 13th and Jackson Streets.

Last edited by eomaha.com; April 21st, 2006 at 08:49 AM.