daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:18 AM   #341
Luka

Likes (Received): 2832

I don't get how American airliners constantly go bankrupt!

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:41 AM   #342
skynet126

Likes (Received): 0

I don't get how American airliners constantly go bankrupt
! <--- because America will die without oil, oil is like blood to them. hihihi sorry. I think because oil price surge up so fast and instant within the period of 2 year time that let these American airlines suffer badly without having the time to adjust to these problems, like GM and FORD.
skynet126 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM   #343
Sen

Likes (Received): 24

you are not making any sense. rising oil price is a problem faced by all airlines, not just American
American Airliners often go bankrupt because there is overcapacity in domestic market and they are not competitive internationally. Many other profitable airlines often have a virtual monopoly or duopoly in domestic routes (AF, JL, ANA, for example)
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM   #344
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

I had a friend who used to work for Aloha as a gate agent. He was hoping to work for them as a pilot someday...

Aloha's closure wasn't about gas prices... When both they and Hawaiian were in bankruptcy a few years ago, Mesa Air Group looked into purchasing them. They were allowed access to private financial information, that Mesa in turn used against them by starting up go! Airlines and undercutting their business. Aloha and Hawaiian both sued and won a nine-figure settlement against Mesa, but in the end it was too little too late.

Just FYI, Mesa was, is and continues to be the most evil of all airline corporations in the United States. They treat their employees and customers like dirt, and have no respect for the industry. Its companies like this that continue to drag our transportation sector further down the hole.

Mr. Fusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM   #345
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u

Likes (Received): 42

Aloha went bankrupt not only because of rising fuel prices (this effects ALL airlines, Skyscrapercity have some very stupid ignorant I swear) but from competition from Mesa airline's Go!. Go! www.Iflygo.com came to the Hawaiian market in 2006 with the intention to be one of Hawaii's main carriers. Hawaii already had a full market so what did Mesa did to get their piece of market? Sell outrageous low ticket prices for 30 dollars a way and I remember at one point, tickets were sold for 1 dollar. Aloha being a smaller company tried to match Go! prices but in the long run, it causes them to go bankrupt because simply they were not making any profit from selling ticket at low prices. Aloha bankruptcy in short is caused by competition.
Old April 5th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #346
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

So it looks like Aloha lost money first because isn't Mesa also losing money with Go? I can honestly say that I do like Go!'s livery but Aloha airlines was there before Hawaii became a state(August 21, 1959) which I think makes it an integral part of Hawaii.
FM 2258 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #347
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

So it looks like Aloha lost money first because isn't Mesa also losing money with Go? I can honestly say that I do like Go!'s livery but Aloha airlines was there before Hawaii became a state(August 21, 1959) which I think makes it an integral part of Hawaii.
Mesa is losing money with Go! but Mesa airlines is apart of a larger network other smaller airlines so they can afford to lose money with their Go! branch. Everyone here is sadden by Aloha's department because like you mentioned, Aloha is an important part of Hawaii's history.
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #348
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1740

American Airlines to cancel as many as 500 flights

American Airlines to cancel as many as 500 flights

The carrier says it is reinspecting wiring to comply with a federal directive. The move affects 15 departures at LAX.

American Airlines, the world's largest carrier, said it was canceling as many as 500 flights today and would probably cancel more Wednesday to ensure compliance with a Federal Aviation Administration directive.

The Fort Worth-based airline decided to cancel flights to reinspect the bundling of wires in its fleet of 300 MD-80s. American, which is the nation's largest operator of MD-80 planes, said the inspections were related to compliance, not safety, issues.

Fifteen flights were canceled out of Los Angeles International Airport as of midafternoon.

"We've been working in good faith to ensure that we are in complete compliance with this airworthiness directive," said Gerard Arpey, chief executive of American's parent company, AMR Corp. "We regret and apologize that we are once again causing inconvenience to our customers, but we will continue to work in good faith until we satisfy all of the technical issues related to this airworthiness directive."

Maintenance issues have taken on a higher profile at U.S. airports for weeks after the FAA assessed a $10.2-million fine against Southwest Airlines Co. on March 6 for missed safety inspections.

Since then, American Airlines, UAL Corp.'s United Airlines, Delta Air Lines Inc. and AMR unit American Eagle have conducted voluntary inspections in conjunction with the FAA's audit of aircraft maintenance records.

http://travel.latimes.com/articles/l...american9apr09
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #349
FM 2258

Well I guess whatever it takes not to end up like AdamAir.
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #350
Magellan

American Airliners Grounded

The problem seems to be a little more widespread than just AA:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7340721.stm

... and is expected to continue:
http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/Busines...4628149&page=1
Magellan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #351
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

I hope AA goes out of business one of these days. Their service is so bad. LOL.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #352
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 388

^ agreed!!! AA is such a bad airline. Korean Air is the best in the world with BEAUTIFUL flight attendants, excellent service and food, and always on schedule.
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #353
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I hope AA goes out of business one of these days. Their service is so bad. LOL.
Maybe I need to fly more. I find American Airlines service to be pretty good and I was impressed with their international service when I flew them back in 2006. Ever since I've only been on American domestic flights and they did a pretty good job. Maybe my love for them is because they fly my favorite planes, the MD-80.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #354
mwg12a

Likes (Received): 663

Its really hard to please some people. I've flown NWA, Delta, AA, United, continental air in most domestic and international. So far I have no complaints in any of these said airlines. I've once hated Delta but I have come to a reason that it was due to their computer glitch and the blizzard like condition weather at that time and it made my florida trip a total nightmare but overall, they are all competitive when it comes to services. We can't really expect too much when you travel within the US since alot of times it's just a short one to three hours flight. Now, when it comes to their international services? Then that's where you really can compare which one is good and which one is bad, provided that you've flown with them more than 3 times each.
mwg12a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #355
Magellan

I think you will not notice how bad AA, United, Delta (and possibly others which I have not flown with) are until you have used some of the non-US carriers.

Even on international services I thought AA was bland, unsophisticated, and not particularly focused on giving an excellent service. I was also surprised while travelling within the States to find that they were still using MD80s and I now avoid them where possible on that basis (its a personal thing, but I never feel safe in that particular plane and perhaps the current issues with the safty inspections is bearing that out).

I was shocked by United; I thought that the cabin staff were frequently sloppy, discourteous, and at times were over zealous in displaying their ignorance. I was also concerned by what seemed to be a higher level of delays and cancellations due to aircraft faults than I have experienced with other airlines.

Overall I think Americans get a very poor service from their airlines, with the maintenance of high standards of service having lost out to cost-cutting. I think this is reflected by none of the major US airlines rating better than three-stars in the SkyTrax surveys. Continental was perhaps the exception, but an officious run-in with one member of the cabin staff on one trip let the whole company down.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #356
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18216

Flying in the US is like taking a bus. There isn't much expectation from the experience anymore.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #357
Magellan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Flying in the US is like taking a bus. There isn't much expectation from the experience anymore.
Aye, you're right there.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #358
FM 2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
After seeing some of the flight reports from Asia I would have to say you're probably right when you make the comparison. Flight reports in China and other Asian seem to include hot towels, warm food and other amenities.

Still when I fly in the U.S. I still really enjoy the experience no matter what happens. I think a lot of people take flying for granted these days and don't appreciate the fact that we can cross the country faster then ever before in relative comfort, with a bathroom, food, drinks, air conditioning along with spectacular views out the window that humans could only dream of 100 years ago. Whenever I see people complaining about flying I wonder what the Wright Brothers would be thinking if they were standing in a line at the airport today.

With all that said I still think there is a lot of room for improvement but I'm not sure how the Asian countries do it so well and so cheaply. Also I'm not too sure how we can pay airline workers more so we can get better service while making flying affordable. I remember being a kid in the 80's and flying and remember getting food and toys from the airline. I remember getting American Airlines air wings which were really cool.
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #359
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

AA is the crappiest of the major carriers besides US Scareways. They're worse than NWA.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #360
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

I actually like NWA. They keep the booze flowing!

And at least they're not canceling flights like AA, Delta, and the others.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airline, airlines, north american airlines, oneworld, skyteam, star alliance, travel, united states, us airlines