daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #541
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk2600 View Post
Guys I wonder something... If United and US Airways do merge, Continental and American are going to be the only two major airlines standing alone.

It will become more difficult for them to compete against two much bigger rivals.

If that merger happens, what do you think is going to happen with american and Continental?
I guess they could pair up. From Americans perspective though I see pretty limited benefits. AA already is a player in the Texas/Latin American market, and has a sizable NYC/European presence.

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #542
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
From United's perspective I'm not really getting where this helps. What they do need to do is really convince Continental to a merger with perhaps Continental getting most if not all the carrots.

A merger with USAirways does little to really help boost United NYC's, U.S. Texas/south, European, and Latin American presence. All four of which happen to be a Continentals strength.

Adding hubs like Philly, Phoenix, or Charlotte to hubs that are already arguably more important and close to the new hubs makes those potential new hubs less attractive I would think.
You do realize that both US and CO have pretty good European networks. I am not saying they are a match made in heaven, but they do offer a good network.

A combined US/UA would have flights to:

London
Manchester
Dublin
Lisbon *
Madrid
Geneva
Zurich
Venice
Rome
Brussels
Frankfurt
Munich
Barcelona *
Oslo *
Amsterdam
Glasgow
Athens
Paris
Moscow

* is a seasonal route
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #543
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by massp88 View Post
You do realize that both US and CO have pretty good European networks. I am not saying they are a match made in heaven, but they do offer a good network.

A combined US/UA would have flights to:

London
Manchester
Dublin
Lisbon *
Madrid
Geneva
Zurich
Venice
Rome
Brussels
Frankfurt
Munich
Barcelona *
Oslo *
Amsterdam
Glasgow
Athens
Paris
Moscow

* is a seasonal route
I don't think it would be nearly as attractive as the NYC-> European destinations that CO would bring to the table and wouldn't overlap with its DC Dulles service.
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #544
massp88

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I don't think it would be nearly as attractive as the NYC-> European destinations that CO would bring to the table and wouldn't overlap with its DC Dulles service.
Well of course not. Not to mention that NYC-Europe has more O&D than any other city in North America. That would be tapped with a UA/CO merger.

Continental runs EWR to....

Paris
Brussels
Berlin
Frankfurt
Hamburg
Munich
Copenhagen
Athens
Dublin
Shannon
Lisbon
Oslo
Amsterdam
Milan
Rome
Madrid
Barcelona
Zurich
Stockholm
Geneva
London
Manchester
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Bristol
Birmingham
massp88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #545
abbypan
Work Hard, Fly Right!

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Shares of US Airways surged today on reports of the airline's renewed merger talks with United.

The Tempe-based carrier's stock is up 13 percent, to $7.71, in midafternoon trading on the New York Stock Exchange. Shares of Chicago-based United are up nearly 9 percent, to $20.60.
Neither one is run worth a crap. I doubt if you put them together they would be much worse. They would be just a bigger mess. Us Air / America West still don't operate as one ailine yet why would they try to merge with someone else.
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #546
bindubasketball

Likes (Received): 0

As I said in my blog post, a combined US/UA would basically move/eliminate some routes. A lot of those regional destinations would probably be cut as UA could use the A330s to shuffle aircraft on shorter international routes..
bindubasketball no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #547
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4704601.story

Time is on United’s side for a deal

By Julie Johnsson, Tribune reporter

10:10 p.m. CDT, April 8, 2010

Time finally may be on United Airlines' side as the carrier's executives, staunch proponents of consolidation, again explore a merger.

The underlying financial dynamics of the airline industry have greatly improved from 2008, when Chicago-based United and other U.S. carriers last engaged in the aviation equivalent of speed dating, analysts said. And United has made itself a more attractive partner by cutting costs and paying greater attention to details like its on-time performance.

United is progressing in its talks with Tempe, Ariz.-based US Airways as the two carriers tackle potentially thorny social issues, such as the structure of the management team, said a person with direct knowledge of the discussions. United and US Airways declined to comment.

Meanwhile, executives at Continental Airlines, which analysts think would be the best fit for United, are studying the situation, but as of Thursday evening hadn't decided whether to enter the fray, said a person close to the carrier. A Continental spokeswoman declined to comment.

Other airlines could further complicate the merger picture with competing deals. American Airlines, the second-largest U.S. carrier, isn't expected to sit idly as United, the market's No. 3, tries to form a deal that would eclipse it, sources said.

American CEO Gerard Arpey, speaking at a meeting Thursday of CEOs of members of the Oneworld airline alliance in Los Angeles, declined to comment on the United-US Airways talks.

"We are not threatened in any way by any discussions in the industry," Arpey said. "I think we are in a strong position."

American's Oneworld partners British Airways and Iberia announced Thursday that they had hammered out terms of their long-anticipated merger, and analysts believe other major U.S. carriers will follow them.

"It's a good time to deal, particularly since you have traffic recovering, and airline earnings are going to recover," airline analyst Julius Maldutis said. "Stockholders are ecstatic."

But there's no guarantee that United will walk away from this round of talks with a merger partner since such transactions are complex and easily undermined. Here's what could make or break United's chances:

The last two merger attempts by United and US Airways drew fierce opposition from labor, and the latest talks have met with a similar reception. Greg Davidowitch, who heads United's flight attendants union, called on the airline Thursday to deal with its labor contracts and other festering issues before attempting another merger.

Meanwhile, Wendy Morse, who heads United's pilots union, said the carrier's pilots did not want to get drawn into the scrum at US Airways, whose pilots remain bitterly divided, with separate contracts and unions five years after it merged with America West.

"We vehemently oppose any merger that would not lead to a strong and viable United Airlines," Morse said.

Wildcard: Obama administration

The Bush administration vetoed a United-US Airways tie-up in 2001, but then let Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines form the world's largest carrier in 2008.

President Barack Obama's Justice Department, which has promised closer scrutiny of big, industry-changing deals, is more receptive to labor's concerns. But antitrust enforcement officials are open to creative new ways to ameliorate antitrust concerns, observers said.
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #548
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.c...ger-talks.html

United, Continental renew merger talks
Published on April 15, 2010 1:06 PM | Submit a comment

By Julie Johnsson

United Airlines has resumed merger discussions with Continental Airlines that were suspended two years ago, when the Houston-based carrier's board opted to remain independent, said a source close to the talks.

Houston-based Continental was drawn back to the merger table after learning last week, via press reports, that Chicago-based United was also courting Phoenix-based US Airways, said the source who declined to speak on the record due to the sensitive nature of the material.

Analysts consider Continental a better fit for United, since their combination would form the world's largest airline, with relatively little overlap in their networks to draw scrutiny from antitrust regulators. By contrast, the Department of Justice objected in 2001 to a proposed merger of United and US Airways because of the overwhelming market concentration the two held in the Washington, DC market.

The New York Times first reported the new talks between United and Continental.

Route Network (via airlineroutemaps.com unless stated otherwise)

Chicago Hub

Denver Hub

Washington Dullus Hub

San Francisco Focus

Los Angeles Focus

US Map (via mappery.com)

International Map (via mappery.com)

Last edited by nomarandlee; October 2nd, 2011 at 04:05 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #549
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.c...ger-talks.html

United, Continental renew merger talks
Published on April 15, 2010 1:06 PM | Submit a comment

By Julie Johnsson

United Airlines has resumed merger discussions with Continental Airlines that were suspended two years ago, when the Houston-based carrier's board opted to remain independent, said a source close to the talks.

Houston-based Continental was drawn back to the merger table after learning last week, via press reports, that Chicago-based United was also courting Phoenix-based US Airways, said the source who declined to speak on the record due to the sensitive nature of the material.

Analysts consider Continental a better fit for United, since their combination would form the world's largest airline, with relatively little overlap in their networks to draw scrutiny from antitrust regulators. By contrast, the Department of Justice objected in 2001 to a proposed merger of United and US Airways because of the overwhelming market concentration the two held in the Washington, DC market.

The New York Times first reported the new talks between United and Continental.

Old April 16th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #550
bindubasketball

They should switch DEN to mostly transcon connections: better location
Old April 16th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #551
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

My nightmare of a Continitedeltamerican US Airways is getting closer to reality...
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #552
aranjan

I will cry if this happens, Cleveland will lose everything, then maybe even LeBron...

It would be a shame especially since CLE was named most improved airport in North America by ACI
aranjan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #553
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranjan View Post
I will cry if this happens, Cleveland will lose everything, then maybe even LeBron...

It would be a shame especially since CLE was named most improved airport in North America by ACI
Haha....maybe LeBron will go to my favorite team the Knicks.

As for the UA and CO merger it doesn't make sense to me. About as much sense as the DL + NW merger with respect to aircraft.
FM 2258 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #554
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Haha....maybe LeBron will go to my favorite team the Knicks.

As for the UA and CO merger it doesn't make sense to me. About as much sense as the DL + NW merger with respect to aircraft.
It doesn't want you take into account hubs and routes.

United would likely want to improve its NYC, Texas/South-central, and European, South/Central American networks. Continental could use improvement on its Asian, U.S. Western, U.S. Midwest networks.
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:29 AM   #555
bindubasketball

#B6 | JetBlue

http://www.aviation-weblog.com/50226...d_grrrreat.php
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:23 PM   #556
KB

Likes (Received): 6846

Talks deepen between United and Continental

DALLAS — United Airlines and Continental Airlines are in the early stages of exchanging financial information that could lead to a deal to combine and create the world's biggest airline, people briefed on the talks said Tuesday.

United had been talking with US Airways about a combination, but speculation has increased that United is more interested in the larger Continental.

The exchange of information between United and Continental was confirmed Tuesday by two people who were briefed on the talks. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the negotiations.

One person said bankers for United and Continental are discussing how to value the companies in a stock-for-stock swap.

That person said talks between United and US Airways have stopped for now with no firm date for starting again. However, the person stressed that United hasn't ruled out a combination with US Airways.

UAL Corp.'s United, Continental Airlines Inc. and US Airways declined to comment.

Another person briefed on the United-Continental talks said the two began exchanging information over the weekend. That job might be easier because the airlines considered combining in 2008, until Continental broke off talks.

A merger then was seen as risky because of soaring prices for jet fuel and weak balance sheets in the airline industry. Oil prices are lower today, U.S. airlines have built up cash reserves, and airlines have cut capacity, which should give them more power to raise fares this summer.

Former Continental CEO Gordon Bethune said if United and Continental are talking, each would want to understand the other's assets, liabilities, leases, union contracts and other details.

Due diligence, as the process of assessing a potential partner is called, is done to value a company that executives already believe is a good strategic fit, he said.

Bethune, who said he doesn't know whether his former company is holding merger talks, said Continental is attracted by United's strength in the Pacific, on the West Coast and its hub in Chicago, while United values Continental's network in Latin America and its hub in the New York area.

One holdup to a United-Continental deal could be a provision in the Continental pilots' union contract that bars their company from sharing revenue in a joint venture with another U.S. carrier.

Amy Flanagan, a spokeswoman for the Continental pilots, said the clause is the subject of current negotiations on a new contract. She said her union had not taken a position on a combination with United. The leader of the pilots' union at United has signaled more support for a tie-up with Continental than with US Airways.

Among U.S. carriers ranked by passenger traffic, United is third, Continental fourth and US Airways sixth, just behind Southwest Airlines.

Continental, which is based in Houston, rejected a combination with Chicago-based United in 2008 and instead joined United's Star Alliance in which they sell seats on each other's flights and will work closely together on international service.

But if Continental stands by now while United and US Airways combine, it would leave Continental by far the smallest of the so-called legacy carriers, also trailing AMR Corp.'s American Airlines.

If they combine, United and Continental would vault over Delta Air Lines Inc. to become the world's largest airline by traffic. A combined United and US Airways, which is based in Tempe, Ariz., would be smaller than Delta, which gained the No. 1 spot by buying Northwest in 2008.

In Tuesday trading, shares of UAL rose 12 cents to $21.78; Continental shares fell 4 cents to $21.94, and US Airways Group Inc. gained 25 cents, or 3.6 percent, to $7.14.

Freed reported from Minneapolis.
KB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:15 AM   #557
bindubasketball

http://www.aviation-weblog.com/50226...to_do_this.php
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:14 PM   #558
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

If they ever merge, they should call the new airline UNICON!!!
killerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM   #559
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.c...out-combo.html

US Airways ends talks with United
Published on April 22, 2010 10:37 AM

By Julie Johnsson | United Airline's list of potential merger partners narrowed Thursday as US Airways announced that its board decided to formally end talks with the Chicago-based carrier.

News of negotiations between United and US Airways earlier this month spurred Continental Airlines to also enter merger discussions with Chicago-based United, say people close to the carriers.
Analysts consider Continental the preferred partner for United, since the combination would create the world's largest carrier with relatively little overlap to draw the scrutiny of antitrust regulators.

United is expected to make a "go or no-go" decision on the potential tie-up within the next two weeks, said analyst Hunter Keay of Stifel Nicolaus in a research note Thursday.

Click here to read US Airways' statement.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:27 PM   #560
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagobreakingbusiness.c...out-combo.html

US Airways ends talks with United
Published on April 22, 2010 10:37 AM

By Julie Johnsson | United Airline's list of potential merger partners narrowed Thursday as US Airways announced that its board decided to formally end talks with the Chicago-based carrier.

News of negotiations between United and US Airways earlier this month spurred Continental Airlines to also enter merger discussions with Chicago-based United, say people close to the carriers.
Analysts consider Continental the preferred partner for United, since the combination would create the world's largest carrier with relatively little overlap to draw the scrutiny of antitrust regulators.

United is expected to make a "go or no-go" decision on the potential tie-up within the next two weeks, said analyst Hunter Keay of Stifel Nicolaus in a research note Thursday.

Click here to read US Airways' statement.

Tags
airline, airlines, north american airlines, oneworld, skyteam, star alliance, travel, united states, us airlines