daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #701
santobonao
Republica Dominicana

Likes (Received): 172

Well when I found out about the news this morning i was in shock? Southwest buying Air tran Airways, I never expect that to happen. Already 6 airlines gone down to 3 in matter of one year and everything started with Delta with Northwest, United with Continental and Frontier/Republic with Midwest/Republic and this morning i found out about the merger of southwest with Air tran. What is really going on in America. Are we going to see more merger in the near future. In my opinion that jetblue will merger with American Eagle, that an rumor going on the past month.

Three years from now we going to see this on the map of airlines of United States: American, DELTA, United, Frontier, Southwest, US airways, Virgin America, Jetblue and Alaska/Horizon.

[email protected] santobonao
Facebook www.facebook.com/santobonao
Instagram @santobonao

Aviation for life
santobonao no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #702
mattec

Likes (Received): 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by santobonao View Post
In my opinion that jetblue will merger with American Eagle, that an rumor going on the past month.

isn't American Eagle owned by American Airlines
mattec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #703
dfwabel

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
Southwest In.. Hawaii?

So what do you think of Southwest going to Hawaii? Any one want to guess who gets possible Southwest routes to Hawaii from their city?, if it evers happens. Take a wild shot.
Currently, WN does not have any jets ETOPS ready. Since they only fly two engine jets, they have to be ETOPS.

Plus, they would have to establish a maintenance facility in Hawaii plus get gate leases if they are available.
dfwabel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #704
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

santobonao
Republica Dominicana

Posts: 2,523 Well when I found out about the news this morning i was in shock? Southwest buying Air tran Airways, I never expect that to happen. Already 6 airlines gone down to 3 in matter of one year and everything started with Delta with Northwest, United with Continental and Frontier/Republic with Midwest/Republic and this morning i found out about the merger of southwest with Air tran. What is really going on in America. Are we going to see more merger in the near future. In my opinion that jetblue will merger with American Eagle, that an rumor going on the past month.

Three years from now we going to see this on the map of airlines of United States: American, DELTA, United, Frontier, Southwest, US airways, Virgin America, Jetblue and Alaska/Horizon.

-I thought Horizon was going away.
-I think American Eagle is a seperate airline but does the connection flights for AA for smaller routes.
-I thought midwest/frontier/republic were doing a three airline merger.

Personally I think the government should allow all the airlines to merge with each other and to have one national airline. Does all these mergers have a possiblitiy for new airlines in the USA to start up? I am surprised on how fast Virgin American has grown. Congrats to them. Well if delta didnt start with northwest we would still have northwest, soon to be gone continental, airtran if it happens, midwest, republic and countless other airlines too. We need competition not higher fares. Stay tune for more info going to post some more this evening when i get home.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #705
GTR66
GTR66

WHERE SOUTHWEST MIGHT LAND NEXT

Southwest Airlines could gain access to these 38 airports served by AirTran if its proposed merger with AirTran is completed. Southwest and AirTran together serve 107 airports and overlap at 32.

Personally i think some airports wont work or SWA will swich to other airports.

Potential airports

Akron/Canton, Ohio-wont work to close to CLE and to UA
Allentown, Pa.
Asheville, N.C.
Atlanta- will interesting to see the competion
Atlantic City- airport close to NYC maybe it will draw people from NYC airports
Bloomington, Ill.
Branson, Mo.
Charleston, W.Va.
Charlotte-US is very dominant
Dallas/Fort Worth-will swich to Dallas Love
Dayton, Ohio
Des Moines
Flint, Mich.
Grand Rapids, Mich.
Gulfport/Biloxi, Miss.
Harrisburg, Pa.
Huntsville/ Decatur, Ala.
Key West
Knoxville, Tenn.
Lexington, Ky.
Memphis-bout time for a new airline
Miami-will probbly swich to FLL
Moline, Ill.
Newport News/Williamsburg, Va.
Pensacola, Fla.
Portland, Maine
Richmond/Williamsburg, Va.
Rochester, N.Y.
Sarasota/Bradenton, Fla.
Tunica, Miss.-wonder who evens flies there. Not that long of a drive from MEM
Washington (Reagan National)-going to be interesting
Westchester County, N.Y.
Wichita

Airports outside the continental U.S:

Aruba
Cancun, Mexico
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Nassau, Bahamas
San Juan, Puerto Rico

I think CVG is missing out on this merger with AT and SWA they are one of the airports that needs to get SWA. Get rid of delta's hub and have new airline growth
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #706
GTR66
GTR66

Potential Route Eliminations

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this new merger, here is a list of destinations and routes I believe will be eliminated (numbered in the order I believe from first to last):

1. Miami (Southwest will have big presence in FLL, and having one daily MIA-BWI makes no sense)
2. Portland, ME (Southwest will have even bigger presence in BOS, and will still have PVD and MHT, so we can see this airport off the destination list)
3. Huntsville, AL (Loads are not good on any of the Huntsville flights)
4. Wichita, KS (Airport officials there have been begging WN to come for years, and they keep saying no. They probably won't keep this destination open)
5. Tunica, MS (With not even daily service, and not good loads, I'm sure this will be gone soon)
6. Atlantic City, NJ (Loads are abysmal on all flights to/from here)
7. White Plains, NY (With bigger presence in LGA and the entrance into EWR, this airport won't be a destination for much longer)
8. Richmond, VA (With a huge hub in BWI, and presence in both DCA and IAD, I can see this destination going).
This is just what I think. I was reading on Airliners.net that say that JetBlue will drop out of BOS-BWI, but I think they'll add frequencies as 16x daily BOS-BWI on Southwest doesn't seem viable. They'll probably drop it to 9x, and JetBlue will have some more business.

Just saw this on BWI airport thread saw some interesting routes elimination.
Old September 29th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #707
GTR66
GTR66

Here are the hubs and focus cities for each airline
AirTran:
Hubs Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
General Mitchell International Airport

Secondary hubs Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport(Both
Orlando International Airport(Both)

Focus cities Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport
Indianapolis International Airport
LaGuardia Airport (New York)
Logan International Airport (Boston)
Southwest Florida International Airport (Fort Myers)(both)
Tampa International Airport (both)

Southwest:
Focus cities Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport(both)
Chicago Midway International Airport
Dallas Love Field
Denver International Airport(the new UA)
Houston William P. Hobby Airport
Las Vegas McCarran International Airport(Allegiant)
Los Angeles International Airport(the new UA,AA,VA,AL,DL)
Oakland International Airport
Orlando International Airport(both serve)
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (US hub)

I put the airline the city has a hub for if not by another airline or both AT and SWA.
-How would Milwuakee work out?
-Both Baltimore and Orlando are served big time with both airline. Will each city become
a mega focus city now?
-All of AirTran focus cities have SWA big time. Will they just be added to the list of focus cities for SWA?
-DEN,LAX,and Phoenix already have hubs with other airlines. So what will SWA do just make the cities even buiser now.
-Will SWA annouce any new focus cities beside ATL soon?

Stay tune for more info or just go to Airliners.net. They are ablazed now with SWA. Sorry for the time delay. Got to wait for school to let out and get home to read Skyscrapercity.com and reply and read the news.
Stay flying my fellow readers.
Old October 1st, 2010, 08:56 PM   #708
way of thinking

Likes (Received): 3

United and Continental close merger and presents the new livery on a 737-900

from airliners.net
way of thinking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:13 AM   #709
GTR66
GTR66

Almost threw up when I saw this. This is paint job is going to werid in some ways. I think it looks ugly. They should of kept Uniteds logo. Delta, soon to be the new Southwest, kept the buying/merging airline logo. Why not United or they going to do things different now?
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:10 PM   #710
Smael

Likes (Received): 185

United Airlines B737-900ER

[IMG]http://i54.************/es0snk.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...f2461b7522fd50
Smael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:13 PM   #711
Smael

United Express Embraer 145XR

[IMG]http://i51.************/5un0au.jpg[/IMG]

Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:13 AM   #712
GTR66
GTR66

Here are some articles about Southwest's merger and some news.

Southwest urged to maintain level of Buffalo service after merger By Matt Glynn

Sen. Charles E. Schumer is urging Southwest Airlines to maintain the same number of flights Southwest and AirTran Airways presently offer at the Buffalo and LaGuardia airports, as the two airlines head toward a merger.

Schumer this week sent a letter to Gary C. Kelly, Southwest’s chairman, president and chief executive officer, urging Kelly to commit publicly to maintaining the same level of air service, as well as to consider bringing additional service and destinations to upstate New York airports.

Southwest serves Buffalo, Albany, Long Island and La- Guardia, while AirTran serves Buffalo, Rochester, White Plains and LaGuardia. Schumer is also calling for maintaining AirTran’s current flights at Rochester and White Plains.

“Frequent and affordable air service is fundamental to New York’s economy, and it’s absolutely critical that Southwest pledges to maintain the same level of air service we have now,” Schumer said in a statement.

Southwest has announced its plan to acquire AirTran in a $1.4 billion deal. Based on total outbound passengers in August, Southwest was the No. 1 airline at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport, and Air- Tran was No. 6.

Rep. Louise M. Slaughter, DFairport, said she hopes that the planned merger “means the expansion of service out of our airports and reduces fares.”

Slaughter said area business people have told her that more direct flights, especially to Reagan National Airport in Washington, D. C., would result in more economic growth for Western New York.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:16 AM   #713
GTR66
GTR66

Advertising may take a big hit in Southwest/AirTran mergerBaltimore Business Journal -

Southwest's bid for biz, revved-up M&As and more in this week's DBJ [10/01/2010]

Baltimore-area publishers and television stations likely would see fewer advertising dollars as a result of the merger of discount airline rivals Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways.

Southwest, by acquiring AirTran, would eliminate its major competitor at Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport. That means the combined airline would not have to spend as much as the two carriers did separately in battling for the area’s budget-conscious travelers.

“Those dollars could probably be used in another market, because they don’t have the competition here they once did,” said Ed Callahan, a co-founder of Planit, a Baltimore ad agency.

Erin Borkowski, vice president and media director for Baltimore ad firm TBC, agrees. She sees Southwest stepping up ad spending in Atlanta and other new markets the carrier will enter as a result of the merger.

But at first, Baltimore’s newspaper and magazine readers and TV viewers can expect to see an flurry of post-merger spending from Southwest as the carrier touts new routes to vacation spots like Cancun, Mexico and Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic. Southwest will pick up these routes, now flown by AirTran, assuming regulators approve the $1.4 billion union announced Sept. 27.

“Sometimes when there is a merger, there can initially be more advertising because they need to get the word out that a merger has taken place,” said Bill Fanshawe, general manager of Fox 45 and Baltimore’s CW. “My guess is that initially there would be a little bump.”

Both Southwest and AirTran have advertised on Fanshawe’s stations. He declined to say how much they have spent.

Southwest is one of the nation’s biggest advertisers. The carrier spent $126 million on advertising last year, according to Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal, a sister publication. The figure for AirTran was unavailable.

Don’t look for Southwest ads to disappear from the local airwaves, even long after the merger. Baltimore is one of the carrier’s biggest markets, and the airline will control nearly two-thirds of BWI Airport’s business.

“There’s a lot that they need to tell people, so they’re going to continue to spend,” said Michele Selby, executive vice president of Media Works, an Owings Mills media-buying firm.

The merger won’t cost any jobs at local ad agencies, however. Neither airline uses a local ad firm. Southwest’s agency, GSD&M is in Austin, Texas. AirTran uses Chicago’s Cramer-Krasselt.

It is too early to know what Southwest will do about AirTran’s corporate sponsorship deals, including one with the Baltimore Ravens. AirTran has been a team sponsor since 2003. Its two-year deal with the team expires at the end of this football season.

The sponsorship includes dubbing an AirTran Jet “Ravens 1” and splashing the team’s logo on the tail.

“We talk to them every week,” said Kevin Rochlitz, a Ravens vice president. “We’re giving them time to go through the evaluation process and then we’ll get in touch with them about what their process is and what the next steps are.”

In addition to the Ravens, AirTran also sponsors the Indianapolis Colts and Atlanta Falcons.

Paul Flaningan, a spokesman for Southwest, said it is too soon to say whether the airline will continue those sponsorships. Southwest is a major advertiser on NFL TV broadcasts.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:19 AM   #714
GTR66
GTR66

Combining airlines may be challenging for Southwest, AirTran

As Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly said last week, the Dallas-based carrier is engaged to AirTran Airways.

But not married yet, and certainly not yet at the point of merging two separate households.

And that, industry analysts say, is where the most challenging aspects of the Southwest-AirTran combination will have to be addressed.

"We are excited about this but, of course, it is just the beginning and there is a lot of work to do," Kelly said at a news conference announcing Southwest's $1.4 billion purchase of the Orlando, Fla.-based airline.

New union contracts will have to be hammered out. Reservation and flight operations systems will have to be melded.

And for an airline that prides itself on its "fun-LUVing" culture, where the CEO dresses up every Halloween and ramp workers paint their chests for the airline's latest television ads, assimilating 8,000 AirTran workers into Southwest's corporate identity will not happen overnight.

"If they can integrate the companies quickly, then I think they will be very successful," said Mark Ozenick, managing director of aerospace for SSA & Company, a consulting firm.

Culture clash

For almost 40 years, Southwest has cultivated a corporate culture that focuses on employees and customers having a good time while flying 30,000 feet in the air. The carrier has grown organically, acquiring only two other smaller carriers -- Morris Air and Muse Air in the 1980s -- making it easier to maintain its quirky identity.

AirTran, however, was created from several airlines, including the former ValuJet, a little over 10 years ago. While it has adorned a few planes with the colors and logos of the professional sports teams of cities it serves, as well as a recently introduced Harry Potter-themed aircraft, it's known mostly as a low-cost, on-time carrier.

"There still is such a mix of different people coming in and out of AirTran that the culture hasn't really developed," said Brett Snyder, a columnist for BNet.com who also runs The Cranky Flier website. Adopting the Southwest culture is a "tall task," he said.

Some experts say the two airlines have similar enough styles, particularly with their emphasis on customer service, that it may not take long for AirTran employees to embrace Southwest's style.

Both Kelly and AirTran CEO Bob Fornaro touted the carriers' similarities last week and said they don't foresee any major difficulties blending their employee groups.

"Both airlines have a strong culture focusing on delivering value and service excellence to our customers while at the same time having fun," Fornaro said.

Uniting the unions

Between Southwest and AirTran, there are 14 different unionized work groups, with the largest representing flight attendants and pilots.

Union work groups have made it difficult for carriers to merge in the past. For example, the pilots of America West and US Airways never agreed to a seniority integration process when the two carriers merged five years ago and the current US Airways maintains two different contracts with pilots
Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:23 AM   #715
GTR66
GTR66

Here a quick update of Southwest news for now. I just saw the new United Livery and it looks ugly. They have it on the 757,737,and a 145 connection plane. Stay flying my fellow readers.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:51 AM   #716
Smael

United Airlines B757-200

[IMG]http://i55.************/2hwmeio.jpg[/IMG]

Old October 4th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #717
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

I was never very attached to the tulip logo, but I am pleased with the fact they ditched the Continental Font. It has a sort of classic look about it to me. Could be many times worse in my opinion. And I think this merger involved appeasing both sides more than the Delta Northwest merger.
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #718
gnzlnho
Buenos Aires

Likes (Received): 723

gnzlnho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #719
GTR66
GTR66

How will Southwest-AirTran deal affect airports?

Southwest Airlines' proposed $1.4 billion acquisition of rival AirTran Airways has some airports thinking early about the deal's future impact on their operations.
Milwaukee, where AirTran's traffic has grown about 80% in the last two years, wants to ensure that its prominence in AirTran's expansion strategy isn't dimmed once the two carriers complete their merger. While some analysts have speculated that Southwest may curb the rate of growth in the market, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett wrote a letter to Southwest CEO Gary Kelly last week, urging him to consider the airport a regional center for its operations. "This region appreciates the competitive airfares that all the airlines, including Southwest, have brought to this market," he wrote.

Atlanta, the world's busiest airport, could be the beneficiary of added service from Southwest if the carrier can change AirTran's operations to mirror its efficiency, says Deborah Meehan, COO of aviation consulting firm SH&E. Southwest, which flies from point to point rather than relying on a hub system, can push out nearly nine jets per gate per day. AirTran, which uses Atlanta as a hub for connections, averages about six departures per gate. AirTran may switch from a hub-and-spoke system to point-to-point, which could result in about 80 more departures a day, Meehan says.

Officials at Orlando International, where Southwest and AirTran are two of the largest carriers, have spoken with the airlines' representatives and are "monitoring to see what decisions are made," says airport spokeswoman Carolyn Fennell. Orlando has 10 markets where the airlines overlap, including Philadelphia, Baltimore and Chicago. "The thought is that demand will be met. We had no indication of change of service at this point."

Paul Wiedefeld, executive director of Baltimore/Washington, where the two carriers dominate, says he is "very positive" about the merger despite nine overlapping markets. "As they expand, we're going serve more of their network." He cites heavy demand and a relatively resilient economy in the region. July was the busiest month ever for the airport. "They both do well here. It's a strong (origin and destination) market here."

With the carriers operating from separate concourses, BWI has started considering how to consolidate their operations at the airport, he says.

Guns and airports

Officials in Adams County, immediately east of Denver International Airport, are discovering that airports and guns are a volatile mix.

The county's plan to build a public shooting range adjacent to a future runway has the airport and the Federal Aviation Administration concerned.

"A preliminary review of your proposals by the Transportation Security Administration has raised concerns regarding the use of automatic and large-caliber rifles at the public facility," wrote airport planning manager Jeannette Stoufer to the county in a letter, adding aircraft on approach would be about 500 feet above the shooting ranges.

Adams County officials told The Denver Post that precautions will be taken to prevent stray bullets.

Here some new news.
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #720
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smael View Post
United Airlines B757-200

[IMG]http://i55.************/2hwmeio.jpg[/IMG]

I think it's a great design, and I mentioned this in a post above, but I think the belly is too gray. It should be a lighter shade of gray, just to differentiate a bit from the white. But the shade they chose just makes it look weird.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airline, airlines, north american airlines, oneworld, skyteam, star alliance, travel, united states, us airlines