daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2010, 02:15 AM   #741
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnzlnho View Post
There is a mistake.

Buenos Aires is shown with routes to Houston and Chicago, but EZE-ORD does not exist. Actually, Washington D.C is missing
United recently used to have an ORD-EZE flight but was dropped due to lack of demand.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2010, 08:37 PM   #742
Rohne
Schwarzkutte

Likes (Received): 361

There's one FRA route missing. I only count 4, but UA/CO has FRA flights from ORD, IAD, SFO, EWR and IAH (and LAX hopefully soon again). And TXL is in the wrong location (should be more to the northwest).
Rohne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:55 PM   #743
gnzlnho
Buenos Aires

Likes (Received): 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
United recently used to have an ORD-EZE flight but was dropped due to lack of demand.
But it was operated by American Airlines
gnzlnho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:40 PM   #744
Almaden

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
There is a mistake.

Buenos Aires is shown with routes to Houston and Chicago, but EZE-ORD does not exist. Actually, Washington D.C is missing
Thanks for catching the mistake, the route should have gone to IAD instead of ORD. Good call, I'll fix it.
Almaden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:43 PM   #745
gnzlnho
Buenos Aires

Where do you do those route maps?
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:30 AM   #746
Almaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohne View Post
There's one FRA route missing. I only count 4, but UA/CO has FRA flights from ORD, IAD, SFO, EWR and IAH (and LAX hopefully soon again). And TXL is in the wrong location (should be more to the northwest).
All five were there, but one was a little obscured by the Brussels marker, so in the latest version I made it clearer. Plus moved Berlin to a more accurate position. Thx.
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:34 AM   #747
Almaden

Quote:
Where do you do those route maps?
I made the maps from scratch, using adobe illustrator and looking over the Continental and United route maps from their respective websites.

As you can imagine sometimes it was challenging to connect all the dots correctly and I used a very low resolution background map, so some of my positions aren't exactly spot on (like Berlin, Rio, Sao Paulo and Lagos). But I went in today and tried to tidy some of it up a bit.
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:37 AM   #748
Almaden

UNITED International Route Map (Merged with Continental)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:44 AM   #749
Almaden

Where's Waldo?

So in cleaning up the Combined UA/CO Route Map today, I discovered that I had accidentally left off an entire destination. I thought I'd throw it out there to all you hard-core skyscraperCity forum junkies (like me) to solve the puzzle:
What destination is missing from the map?
Old November 1st, 2010, 04:48 AM   #750
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

I can't really tell because of the resolution but Providenciales, Turks and Caicos?
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:56 PM   #751
Almaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I can't really tell because of the resolution but Providenciales, Turks and Caicos?
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands (PLS) is not currently served by Continental or United, but thanks for playing our little game. Please try again!
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:32 AM   #752
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

San Diego? Sweet map though. That new font grows on me.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 08:15 AM   #753
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaden View Post
Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands (PLS) is not currently served by Continental or United, but thanks for playing our little game. Please try again!
Not currently served but they are starting a new service to Providenciales from Newark sometime in February.

http://www.suntci.com/index.php?p=story&id=1244
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:21 AM   #754
Almaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
San Diego? Sweet map though. That new font grows on me.
Nope. No International flights from San Diego. But not a bad guess ---- keep looking! (Hint: It's gonna be easier to compare a United and Continental route map).
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:35 PM   #755
seven13

Likes (Received): 68

I saw the new Continental-United livery at HKIA while ago! I think it was a 767.
seven13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM   #756
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18209

@ HKG - by bae146 from HKADB :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:52 PM   #757
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Delta's Traffic Up In Oct; Planes Less Full As Capacity Rises
3 November 2010
DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

Delta Air Lines Inc. (DAL) said its systemwide October traffic jumped 8.6% as it increased capacity and flew slightly emptier planes.

Most carriers have been reporting gains in traffic this year as travel demand has rebounded from last year's low levels. Investors have kept a close eye on capacity as the industry's discipline about increasing flights so far has underpinned higher fares.

Delta's capacity jumped 9.5% in October amid a 13% rise internationally. That could be cause for concern for some, as there have been worries that capacity could rise more than necessary as airlines look to take advantage of higher fares and demand.

Load factor, the percentage of available seats filled, dropped to 83.4% in October from 84.1% a year earlier.

Delta last month lost its two-year hold as the world's biggest carrier as United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL) was formed following United Airlines parent UAL Corp.'s purchase of Continental Airlines. Delta plans to spend more than $2 billion through 2013 to lure travelers with new flat-bed seats, video on demand and upgraded facilities in hotly contested markets such as New York.

The carrier last month reported third-quarter profit that beat analysts' expectations as revenue rebounded.

Shares were down 0.7% at $13.75 in recent trading. The stock has gained 21% this year.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:14 PM   #758
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Very important article for all you AirTran flyers. Soon to be Southwest airlines flyers. You may want to pay attention to new news form Southwest airlines. Happy flying friends.

'AirTran fans beg Southwest to keep biz class'

That's the headline from the Wichita Business Journal, which reports a group of AirTran loyalists is trying to convince Southwest not to strip out all of AirTran's business class once it acquires the airline. The group also is pushing for Southwest to institute assigned seating.

Southwest, of course, is an open-seating, all-coach-class operation while AirTran offers a business-class product along with seat assignments.

The group goes by the title "Save Our Seats" and says on its website that -- so far -- it has recruited 474 signatures to a petition opposing the switch to all-coach. The group, as you might expect, also has created a page on Facebook.

However, travel-oriented website Tnooz.com notes that while S.O.S. is agitating for seat changes, it also "wants to keep Southwest's policies of no charge for bags and itinerary changes."

"We want to be treated with dignity with assigned seats, the choice to upgrade, have seats wired with WiFi and XM, and have the ability to use frequent flyer points to fly to all the destinations of our dreams," S.O.S. says on its website.

The group also issues this plea to Southwest: "Pease combine the best of the Southwest world with the best of AirTran. Keep the Southwest fun spirit, free checked bags, no change fees, and great Southwest brand. Just save AirTran's assigned seats, business class seats, in-seat Wi-Fi / XM Radio, and frequent flyer seats to anywhere in the world! SOS: SAVE OUR SEATS!"

The group's efforts aren't likely to catch Southwest by surprise. Southwest CEO Gary Kelly has acknowledged in previous statements that Southwest could lose some AirTran customers because of its open-seating, all-coach approach.

"We've long held out that we're not all things to all people,": Kelly is quoted as saying in an Oct. 28 story in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "I fully expect that we'll have customers who choose not to fly Southwest Airlines."
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #759
gnzlnho
Buenos Aires

Southwest should buy long-haul airplanes to launch service to Latin America, Id say from Orlando and Houston mainly, and also Tampa
Old November 4th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #760
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Delta flight attendants reject union in close vote; challenge planned
By The Associated Press
4 November 2010
(c) 2010. The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

DELTA VOTE: Flight attendants at Delta Air Lines Inc. narrowly rejected union representation. The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA said it wants federal regulators to investigate, alleging that the election was stolen.

THE NUMBERS: Of 18,760 votes cast, the union came up 328 votes short.

WHAT'S NEXT: More than 30,000 workers in other groups are voting on possible union representation at Delta. That balloting wraps up later this month and in December.

Tags
airline, airlines, north american airlines, oneworld, skyteam, star alliance, travel, united states, us airlines