daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #1301
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9437

Miami based start-up Eastern Air Lines firms up an order for 20(+20 purchase rights) MRJs! Great news for the project with a gap-toothed backlog.

Source: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...-to-40-404172/

II. János Pál pápa

Last edited by Qtya; September 26th, 2014 at 01:32 PM.
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:35 AM   #1302
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Speaking of livery revisions, here are two of them...

Frontier Airlines A320-200 (reg. N227FR)

American Airlines A330-300 (reg. N270AY)

The above photo was formerly with US Airways, with the same registration number...

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #1303
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Here's what I realized, now that American Airlines and US Airways are merging as a unified American Airlines: it will have a really massive fleet under its belt, and I have no doubt that it will continue to expand its reach throughout the United States, if not the world.

Note: the aircraft fleets listed below are under their respective mainline fleet; for the fleets operated by its partner carriers (e.g. American Eagle, US Airways Express), please see their respective pages either on Wikipedia or their airlines' websites (also available on Jetphotos, Airliners.Net, and other pages).

AA's Airbus fleet:
A319: 21 in service (44 orders)
A321-200: 26 in service (39 orders)
A321NEO: 0 in service (100 orders)

US Airways' Airbus fleet:
A319: 93 in service
A320-200: 65 in service
A321-200: 107 in service (14 orders)
A330-200: 15 in service
A330-300: 9 in service
A350-900: 0 in service (22 orders)

AA's Boeing fleet:
B737-800: 239 in service (67 orders)
B737 MAX 8: 0 in service (100 orders)
B757-200 (domestic): 62 in service
B757-200 (international): 18 in service
B767-300ER: 58 in service
B777-200ER: 47 in service
B777-300ER: 14 in service (6 orders)
B787-8: 0 in service (16 orders)
MD-82 and MD-83: 150 in service

US Airways' Boeing fleet:
B757-200 (domestic): 9 in service
B757-200 (international): 15 in service
B767-200ER: 6 in service

US Airways' additional fleet:
Embraer 190: 20 in service

Total combined fleet for American Airlines and US Airways (both mainline) are as follows:

Airbus: 336 in service, 219 on order
A319: 114 in service (44 orders)
A320-200: 65 in service
A321-200: 133 in service (53 orders)
A321NEO: 0 in service (100 orders)
A330-200: 15 in service
A330-300: 9 in service
A350-900: 0 in service (22 orders)

Boeing and McDonnell-Douglas: 618 in service, 189 on order
B737-800: 239 in service (67 orders)
B737 MAX 8: 0 in service (100 orders)
B757-200 (domestic): 71 in service
B757-200 (international): 33 in service
B767-200ER: 6 in service
B767-300ER: 58 in service
B777-200ER: 47 in service
B777-300ER: 14 in service (6 orders)
B787-8: 0 in service (16 orders)
MD-82 and MD-83: 150 in service

Embraer: 20 in service
E190: 20 in service

My next thought: will AA be interested in investing a new hub somewhere in the West Coast, especially that one of its rivals, Delta, is boosting its presence in Seattle and Los Angeles? I mean, AA already has a sizable hub in LAX, but, I think it could expand its presence in San Francisco, especially that only two airlines fly out of its current terminal (T2)...

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #1304
chicagoboulder

Likes (Received): 1

As far as an additional West Coast hub for American, it will not happen as long as Phoenix is still a hub. I believe the main criteria for Phoenix is that planes have the range to fly to HNL nonstop without any wight penalty. This was one of the conditions Airbus had to comply with for the A321NEO from US Airways, as Phoenix was their Western US hub. If Phoenix won't be maintained as a hub, I would love to see PDX become a major hub to rival SEA. SFO might not a great idea due to United's stronghold on Asian routes.
chicagoboulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:46 AM   #1305
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoboulder View Post
As far as an additional West Coast hub for American, it will not happen as long as Phoenix is still a hub. I believe the main criteria for Phoenix is that planes have the range to fly to HNL nonstop without any weight penalty. This was one of the conditions Airbus had to comply with for the A321NEO from US Airways, as Phoenix was their Western US hub. If Phoenix won't be maintained as a hub, I would love to see PDX become a major hub to rival SEA. SFO might not a great idea due to United's stronghold on Asian routes.
Aha. Well, Phoenix can indeed keep its status as an AA hub, especially that it will be inherited from US Airways soon (the same case as in Charlotte and Philadelphia)... the only thing that could be of concern for Phoenix could be its proximity to Los Angeles, another AA hub, in which US Airways already operates multiple trips between the two cities (not to mention other carriers ply the same route as well). But, I believe that Phoenix will remain as a hub for AA because of its proximity to Mexico (and it can compete well alongside its LAX hub).

And apparently, with the A321NEO, it could fly more than just Hawaii from Phoenix; if AA can, it could expand further to even more Central American destinations, like how Delta is mounting flights to Guatemala City, San Jose (Costa Rica), and San Salvador.

The challenge now for SFO as a major UA hub: while it is concentrating a lot on expanding its Asian network, it has not looked into expanding further into Central and South America, given that the airline is adding more aircraft to its fleet (with the sleek B787 now in the mix too)... I truly hope that United will mount new flights to places like Panama City, Sao Paulo, and Lima from San Francisco soon.

Old October 6th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #1306
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

One thing that is working in Phoenix's favor over LAX is that LAX is slot controlled and has limited capacity not to mention more competition with other carriers especially foreign carriers. American Airlines would not be able to shift their entire Phoenix hub operations to LAX if they tried, although I can see some routes being shifted over to DFW.

Anyways regarding United's foray into Latin America they have been expanding further into Latin America (they recently announced a flight to Santiago and Punta Cana from Houston). However given San Francisco's distance it does not really make sense for United to add direct flights to Latin America from SFO aside from those to Mexico because SFO is out of the way for most people. For United Airlines it makes much more sense to use Houston as a launching pad for flights to Latin America because it is more convenient for most people and for the airline itself to route connecting traffic through there. If anything it would probably make more sense for United to focus on adding more direct flights to other Asian cities such as Manila from SFO rather than adding more flights to Latin America from SFO.

Last edited by diablo234; October 6th, 2014 at 01:41 AM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 01:56 AM   #1307
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
One thing that is working in Phoenix's favor over LAX is that LAX is slot controlled and has limited capacity not to mention more competition with other carriers especially foreign carriers. American Airlines would not be able to shift their entire Phoenix hub operations to LAX if they tried, although I can see some routes being shifted over to DFW.

Anyways regarding United's foray into Latin America they have been expanding further into Latin America (they recently announced a flight to Santiago and Punta Cana from Houston). However given San Francisco's distance it does not really make sense for United to add direct flights to Latin America from SFO aside from those to Mexico because SFO is out of the way for most people. For United Airlines it makes much more sense to use Houston as a launching pad for flights to Latin America because it is more convenient for most people and for the airline itself to route connecting traffic through there. If anything it would probably make more sense for United to focus on adding more direct flights to other Asian cities such as Manila from SFO rather than adding more flights to Latin America from SFO.
You're correct in the United Airlines' assessment for IAH versus SFO. However, with a lot of UA's B787s deployed from SFO and LAX, wouldn't it make sense to operate at least one or two nonstop flights to Latin America (beyond Mexico) if the demand is there? I mean, AA now operates a daily LAX-GRU service on board a B777-200ER... and with SFO lacking a South America service (the furthest right now would be Avianca's San Francisco-San Salvador (El Salvador)), it could be a challenge to UA to provide a suitable one-stop service via SFO from major Asian gateways (yes, Manila included) to Latin America. It's like, in the current setup:

- Fly first via NRT, then IAH or DFW, then onward to Latin America
- Fly first via LAX, then switch carriers to your destination in Latin America (especially true for Brazil, Chile, and Peru)

With SFO operating to a lot more Asian gateways than LAX with UA, then, I think it would make sense that the airline could mount at least two flights to provide further connections to Latin America... for example:

- A B757 service to and from Panama City (attempted by Copa Airlines with their B737s, but I think it has range issues); or
- A B787 service to and from Sao Paulo (so that it can compete with LAX and can provide timed connections to most Asian flights upon arrival)

The former could allow UA to mount more codeshares between PTY and South America since Copa Airlines has a very extensive South American network, and with its multiple departures, it would really make sense to operate such a service between SFO and PTY. The latter could allow the airline to expand its reach further by operating its only US West Coast-Brazil service with a Star Alliance carrier, giving the route a competitive advantage to its LAX rival (served by KE [Skyteam] and AA [oneworld]).

Old October 6th, 2014, 04:29 AM   #1308
chicagoboulder

I believe that United will eventually add more Central and South American routes, but not from SFO, but rather from LAX, with the LA area's extensive Latin population. The major hurdle is United (and American)'s reliance on their Texas hubs to funnel Latin routes. These networks were made pre-mergers and consequently, they retain those routes and filter new connections for passengers.

Phoenix would be a stretch, but at least it would take some of the pressure off of DFW and LAX in a perfect system. The LAX situation is unique because all three major Legacy carriers serve it as an international gateway, though American does not use it in this capacity as much as it could. United serves more international destinations from LAX, but with its hub at SFO so close, this is merely to facilitate more connections from Star Alliance carriers as LAX typically is their only US destination.

My view on LAX is that most international O/D passengers do not fly US airlines, as most of the time an international carrier has better connections to smaller cities. Delta seems to be doing the best with LAX as a hub in complement to its SEA gateway, with its flight to Sydney only originating in LAX.

It will be interesting to see what American does with its new hubs, and I hope that at least one of them makes a permanent stay. I do also hope that American does not ditch its direct Midwest and East Coast flights to San Diego in favor of a connection in PHX since I fly them back for holidays.
Old October 6th, 2014, 07:27 PM   #1309
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
You're correct in the United Airlines' assessment for IAH versus SFO. However, with a lot of UA's B787s deployed from SFO and LAX, wouldn't it make sense to operate at least one or two nonstop flights to Latin America (beyond Mexico) if the demand is there? I mean, AA now operates a daily LAX-GRU service on board a B777-200ER... and with SFO lacking a South America service (the furthest right now would be Avianca's San Francisco-San Salvador (El Salvador)), it could be a challenge to UA to provide a suitable one-stop service via SFO from major Asian gateways (yes, Manila included) to Latin America. It's like, in the current setup:

- Fly first via NRT, then IAH or DFW, then onward to Latin America
- Fly first via LAX, then switch carriers to your destination in Latin America (especially true for Brazil, Chile, and Peru)

With SFO operating to a lot more Asian gateways than LAX with UA, then, I think it would make sense that the airline could mount at least two flights to provide further connections to Latin America... for example:

- A B757 service to and from Panama City (attempted by Copa Airlines with their B737s, but I think it has range issues); or
- A B787 service to and from Sao Paulo (so that it can compete with LAX and can provide timed connections to most Asian flights upon arrival)

The former could allow UA to mount more codeshares between PTY and South America since Copa Airlines has a very extensive South American network, and with its multiple departures, it would really make sense to operate such a service between SFO and PTY. The latter could allow the airline to expand its reach further by operating its only US West Coast-Brazil service with a Star Alliance carrier, giving the route a competitive advantage to its LAX rival (served by KE [Skyteam] and AA [oneworld]).
Having a flight to PTY would make sense since Copa Airlines and United Airlines already code share with each other but I don't really see any logic in adding any direct flights to other Latin American markets (other than Mexico) from SFO just because of the distance alone and the fact that LAN discontinued their direct flight to Lima from SFO which is an indication of the current market there. Anyways most people who are flying to/from Latin America from Asia tend to avoid the US if at all possible and opt for transit in either Canada, Mexico, or Europe because the US forces everyone who is arriving to go through immigration and customs even if they are just transiting.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 05:56 AM   #1310
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3613

Is American Airline Going to start flight to India ? currently only USA Carrier United Airline Have flights to Mumbai And Delhi
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:50 PM   #1311
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by patel2897 View Post
Is American Airline Going to start flight to India ? currently only USA Carrier United Airline Have flights to Mumbai And Delhi
American Airlines used to have a nonstop flight to New Delhi but it got cancelled due to lack of demand.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:34 PM   #1312
killerk

Likes (Received): 1120

And so did Delta which initially flew from NY area to Mumbai and then later on from their biggest hub in Atlanta to Mumbai... The Delta and AA flights got cancelled during the recession!!

patel2897 liked this post
killerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:39 PM   #1313
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

United may be the sole US-based carrier operating nonstop US-India flights from Newark.

Old October 24th, 2014, 12:08 AM   #1314
ESPImperium

Likes (Received): 147

With exception to United and the charter carriers, i find it that American Carriers don't do more flights to Scotland via Glasgow (GLA) and Edinburgh (EDI) as theres a clear tourist market in both directions.

Id love to see a daily American flight into GLA, yes US Airways does a flight to Philadelphia on a seasonal basis, but a daily flight would be nice. As for Delta, a nice wee daily flight to JFK, even a 4x weekly flight.

However, if GLA or EDI was to get a US customs like Dublin placed at one or the other i think it would give a better option for US carriers i guess, but i do think that the US carriers need to have better Scottish connections.
Old October 26th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #1315
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3613

when is American Airline first b787 is coming out of paint hanger ? anyone know
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #1316
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPImperium View Post
With exception to United and the charter carriers, i find it that American Carriers don't do more flights to Scotland via Glasgow (GLA) and Edinburgh (EDI) as theres a clear tourist market in both directions.

Id love to see a daily American flight into GLA, yes US Airways does a flight to Philadelphia on a seasonal basis, but a daily flight would be nice. As for Delta, a nice wee daily flight to JFK, even a 4x weekly flight.

However, if GLA or EDI was to get a US customs like Dublin placed at one or the other i think it would give a better option for US carriers i guess, but i do think that the US carriers need to have better Scottish connections.
Well, it would be nice to bring American metal into Scotland on a regular basis, however, the question comes with productivity and stability in terms of passenger flow and revenues. If it were me, I would send the following:

- American B757 or B767 from either Boston, Chicago, New York-JFK, or Philadelphia (Charlotte can be a stretch)
- Delta B767 from either Atlanta, Detroit, or New York-JFK (Minneapolis could be a stretch)
- United B757 or B767 from either Chicago, Newark, or Washington DC (B777 from Los Angeles or San Francisco can be a stretch)

However, I must say that Virgin Atlantic is doing a fantastic job in bringing travelers between Scotland and Orlando, which is indeed a popular market.

Old October 27th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #1317
chicagoboulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Well, it would be nice to bring American metal into Scotland on a regular basis, however, the question comes with productivity and stability in terms of passenger flow and revenues. If it were me, I would send the following:

- American B757 or B767 from either Boston, Chicago, New York-JFK, or Philadelphia (Charlotte can be a stretch)
- Delta B767 from either Atlanta, Detroit, or New York-JFK (Minneapolis could be a stretch)
- United B757 or B767 from either Chicago, Newark, or Washington DC (B777 from Los Angeles or San Francisco can be a stretch)

However, I must say that Virgin Atlantic is doing a fantastic job in bringing travelers between Scotland and Orlando, which is indeed a popular market.

I could see United from Newark with B757, like Continental used to have into Bristol, otherwise wit would have to be a B767 for ORD or IAD since the 757 range could be problematic from those two.

Delta would route the flight through JFK potentially with either B757 or B767 to compete with UAL. American I don't know if they will expand their European destinations to include some smaller ones like GLA or EDI.

The current trend is to funnel passengers to East Coast hubs and fly them over from there with smaller equipment than from each individual hub since the load factors would be lower than one flight from JFK/EWR
Old October 27th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #1318
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

JFK has slot controls though so I am not sure if Delta or American could add any additional non-stop flights to secondary cities in Europe, especially since many of those routes require connecting flights to other domestic US destinations in order to be profitable.
Old October 27th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #1319
charmedone

Likes (Received): 86

Delta CEO: Boeing 747s will be retired by 2017

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...2017/17350781/

If you want to book a flight on one of Delta Air Lines' Boeing 747s, the clock is ticking.

The carrier plans to retire the last of the 16 747s in its fleet by 2017, CEO Richard Anderson said during the carrier's third-quarter earnings call Thursday.

The move is no surprise, but the timeline guidance comes as Delta says in its earnings statement that it will "accelerate the retirement of (its) 747 fleet as part of its Pacific network restructuring."

Delta President Ed Bastian, speaking on the same call as Anderson, said Delta's accelerated phase-out of the 747s comes as the company shifts some of its capacity on trans-Atlantic flights to routes between the USA and Asia.

Bastian added that Delta's acquisition of Airbus 330s next year will help facilitate retirement of 747s.

More broadly, the move comes as industry analysts speculate that the 747's days could be numbered and that Boeing will likely have to end production of its iconic jumbo jet sooner rather than later.

Boeing's latest model of the 747 — the 747-8 Intercontinental — is its biggest and most technologically advanced passenger version of the jet. But, so far, sales of the plane have been tepid.

Lufthansa was the launch customer of the latest version of the jet, and recently took delivery of the milestone 1,500th 747 ever produced. Air China became the second airline to take delivery of the new 747-8i last month. But, outside those carriers, Korean Air and Russian carrier Transaero are the only other passenger airlines with orders for the aircraft.

As of late June, the number of 747s coming off Boeing's production line north of Seattle is just 1.5 per month — down from about six per month in 1990. And airlines that have older 747s in their fleets are phasing out the planes at an increasingly brisk clip.

Air New Zealand, for example, flew its final Boeing 747 flight in September, opting to replace the aircraft with Boeing's 787 and 777 models.

That matches a trend in which airlines have shown an increasing preference for two-engine widebody jets — like the Airbus A330 and Boeing's own 777 — that seat fewer people, but burn less fuel and can fly comparable distances.

Still, Boeing officials remain steadfast that the 747 has a solid future ahead of it.

"There is still a fair amount of interest" from airlines, Eric Lindblad, vice president and general manager of Boeing's 747 program, told Today in the Sky in June. "Enough that we're going to sit here today and say we expect we're going to be building the 747-8 for quite a bit longer."

charmedone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #1320
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Awww... with that announcement, it may be most likely that all Asian services will be served by its B777s soon since many of its Transpacific routes (including MNL-NRT, NRT-JFK, NRT-DTW, and so on) deploy B744s on them... I remember riding the old NW B744s without the PTVs, and it was a memorable experience flying to Tokyo/Narita from Manila. And by the way, those beauties will be missed once those are gone for good.

In other news...

A group of United planes at IAH

patel2897, okach1, shakman, Equario liked this post

Tags
airline, airlines, north american airlines, oneworld, skyteam, star alliance, travel, united states, us airlines