daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #1421
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63050

And the next merger, pending approval, is....

Quote:

Alaska Air Group to Acquire Virgin America, Creating West Coast's Premier Carrier

Seattle-based carrier to become 5th largest U.S. airline

SEATTLE and SAN FRANCISCO, April 4, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --

Highlights:

Deal combines two leading airlines known for outstanding customer service and low fares.
Alaska Airlines expands its California presence, while creating new opportunities for growth and competition.
Expanded route network benefits customers, with 1,200 daily departures.
Transaction is expected to be accretive to adjusted earnings per share in first full year, increases annual revenues 27 percent to more than $7 billion and offers $225 million total net synergies annually at full integration.
Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ to welcome Virgin America Elevate® members.
Company headquarters to remain in Seattle.

Alaska Air Group, Inc. (NYSE: ALK), parent company of Alaska Airlines, and Virgin America, Inc. (NASDAQ: VA) today announced that their boards of directors have unanimously approved a definitive merger agreement, under which Alaska Air Group will acquire Virgin America for $57.00 per share in cash. Including existing Virgin America indebtedness and capitalized aircraft operating leases, the aggregate transaction value is approximately $4.0 billion. With an expanded West Coast presence, a larger customer base, and an enhanced platform for growth, Alaska Airlines will be positioned to provide more choices for customers, increase competition and deliver attractive returns to investors.

Preparing for Takeoff

The combined organization will be based in Seattle under the leadership of Tilden and his senior leadership team, who collectively have nearly 15 decades of combined airline industry experience. Until receiving regulatory approval to close, Tilden and Cush will co-lead a transition team, which will develop a specific integration plan.

Alaska Airlines and Virgin America are two of the most respected aviation brands in the United States (and globally in the case of Virgin). While the companies apply for a single operating certificate, Alaska will maintain its new, refreshed brand and will work closely with Virgin America to learn more about the award-winning Virgin America brand and customer experience. And over the next few months Alaska will explore with the Virgin Group how the Virgin America brand could continue to serve a role in driving customer acquisition and loyalty to get the best from both brands.

The merger, which has been approved unanimously by the boards of directors of both companies, is conditioned on receipt of regulatory clearance, approval by Virgin America shareholders and satisfaction of other customary closing conditions. The companies expect to complete the transaction with regulators' approval no later than Jan. 1, 2017.

Full Press Release:
http://investor.alaskaair.com/phoeni...cle&ID=2153652

patel2897 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #1422
alejandroDS

Likes (Received): 98

Less competition and only ten US Airlines left so far...
alejandroDS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 09:43 PM   #1423
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
And the next merger, pending approval, is....

Full Press Release:
http://investor.alaskaair.com/phoeni...cle&ID=2153652

I have a lot of reservations with this pending deal, including:

- How much was the offer made by jetBlue before Alaska Airlines "agreed" to buyout Virgin America?
- How would this merger realign San Francisco's airline market as Alaska Airlines will make SFO a new hub once Virgin America is gone?
- What will Alaska Airlines do with Virgin America's Airbus fleet: will those stay in SFO, or will those be spread out to Seattle and Los Angeles?
- Will Alaska Airlines get more Airbus aircraft to complement its mostly-Boeing fleet, and how will Alaska maintain the standards set by Virgin America once the two merge?
- Could this mean Alaska Airlines will expand its San Francisco market even further by competing against the big 3 in the Transcontinental market, if not open a year-round service to Alaska too?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 06:04 AM   #1424
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I have a lot of reservations with this pending deal, including:

- How much was the offer made by jetBlue before Alaska Airlines "agreed" to buyout Virgin America?
- How would this merger realign San Francisco's airline market as Alaska Airlines will make SFO a new hub once Virgin America is gone?
- What will Alaska Airlines do with Virgin America's Airbus fleet: will those stay in SFO, or will those be spread out to Seattle and Los Angeles?
- Will Alaska Airlines get more Airbus aircraft to complement its mostly-Boeing fleet, and how will Alaska maintain the standards set by Virgin America once the two merge?
- Could this mean Alaska Airlines will expand its San Francisco market even further by competing against the big 3 in the Transcontinental market, if not open a year-round service to Alaska too?
-Alaska definitely paid a premium for Virgin. Such is life in the business world. Both JetBlue and Alaska badly wanted Virgin and had a bit of a bidding war. Putting "agreed" in quotes kindof implies there was maybe something a little shady about the deal?

-Mostly this is merger is so Alaska can compete with transcontinental service offered by the main line airlines (Delta, American, United, Southwest). It took Alaska 5 years just to get a JFK route and they saw the writing on the wall with Delta making the big move to Sea-Tac. With Virgin America's routes, they quickly get a lot more access to the big 3 transcontinental ports (LAX, JFK, and SFO).

-Alaska is nominally and boastfully all Boeing. Its only partner airlines that use the smaller Bombardier and Embraer planes (Horizon, and Skywest). Alaska's fleet is currently a good bit larger than Virgin (151 planes to 60), but adding 60 planes is nothing to sneeze at. Although 60 is roughly the same as the number of new 737's Alaska has on order (66 737 ERs and MAXs). I think a lot of people are curious to see what they do with them.

-Also curious to see how this affects Alaska's business practices. Virgin did the fully decked out cabins with cool mood lighting while Alaska tends to go much more bare-bones with zero entertainment systems (they pass out iPads instead).
Old April 6th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #1425
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63050

Alaska has already revealed that all leases on Virgin's A320s will expire in 2020. Before that happens they will make a decission on if they will keep the A320s or go single type meaning going all Boeing (except for the regional fleet for which they are about to place an order for Embraer E-jets).

All other answers, except for how much JetBlue offered, will be answered over the next couple of years as this merger will take place.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #1426
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Alaska has already revealed that all leases on Virgin's A320s will expire in 2020. Before that happens they will make a decission on if they will keep the A320s or go single type meaning going all Boeing (except for the regional fleet for which they are about to place an order for Embraer E-jets).

All other answers, except for how much JetBlue offered, will be answered over the next couple of years as this merger will take place.
I hope Alaska will keep the A320s, especially that those have mood lighting which Virgin America's passengers really enjoy. I mean, streamlining the aircraft fleet to go bare bones will actually be a few steps backward from what Virgin is giving its passengers today... Alaska should reconsider how to make its in flight service even better than Virgin rather than going back to its roots as a bare-bones carrier. Perhaps Alaska should look deeply at how Virgin America became a successful carrier and model its future after Branson's original plans.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #1427
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

By the way, there is now increasing talk that Delta Air Lines is in negotiations to buy a large number of single-aisle jets, most likely to replace the aging MD-80 fleet. The current news is that Delta could be signing for as many as 75 Bombardier CS300's, but watch for a possibility that Boeing could steal the deal by selling (probably in my opinion!) 70+ 737-700's to Delta at a major discounted price just like what Boeing offered (and United Airlines accepted) with the 737-700 order.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #1428
Elktest

Likes (Received): 1803

its a testreg. on the plane / by Airbus in Hamburg

A321 Frontier N710FR by XFW-Spotter, auf Flickr

Fallon the Falcon by XFW-Spotter, auf Flickr

brewerfan386, patel2897 liked this post
Elktest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #1429
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1116

Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 02:45 AM   #1430
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1116

Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 07:47 AM   #1431
pi_malejana

Likes (Received): 188

Hello! Was able to fly on Delta Airlines' B757-200 Delta One Business Class Product from JFK-SFO. Delta's JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO (vv) routes offer international J-class product with lie-flat seats. The 757 has a 2-2 reverse herringbone layout with the window seat not having aisle-access.

Here's the complete Video Flight Report:

Some photos as well:

Starter: Shrimp and Egg Mayonnaise with Farm Lettuce

Main: Pink Sea Trout with Potatoes, Carrots, Turnip, and Onions (Bread on the side)

Dessert: Vanilla Ice Cream

Cookies and Soda to finish off while watching Djokovic

Unfortunately, the IFE wasn't working on this flight except the Dish Satellite Live TV so I was able to watch the US Open. The video streaming was working as well so I was able to play a couple of movies on my iPad. The food was good, nothing to write home about. But the Westin Pillow and Duvet that were provided were really comfy.
Old October 9th, 2016, 11:57 PM   #1432
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

Likes (Received): 6714

BOEING 737-900 | 2X GE CFM56-7B24 MACH 0.696 (853 KPH - 530 MPH) | UNITED AIRLINES | 09/15/2016 | NEWARK LIBERTY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Image of my authorship
Casa Atlântica | Single project of Zaha Hadid to South America in Rio >> BP / ES

patel2897, brewerfan386 liked this post
Fabricio JF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #1433
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

BOEING 767-322ER | 2X PRATT & WHITNEY PW4060 MACH 0.71 (860 KPH - 540 MPH) | UNITED AIRLINES | N654UA | 09/18/2016 | O’HARE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Image of my authorship
Casa Atlântica | Single project of Zaha Hadid to South America in Rio >> BP / ES
Old October 15th, 2016, 01:07 PM   #1434
angrybird2411
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Follow me. While global climatic conditions have definitely changed over the years, I'd also like to point the most of the 757s North American airlines employ are fairly old pieces of infrastructure, so I think aging fleet does cause more unexpected problems.
angrybird2411 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #1435
angrybird2411
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Continental and United were legacy carriers with long-standing brands. I'm thinking not much will change in the next 5 years. Besides the cost of rebranding AGAIN is something an airline would probably not want to spend money on.
angrybird2411 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #1436
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

BOEING 777-222ER | 2XPRATT & WHITNEY PW4090 MACH 0.72 (885 KPH - 550 MPH) | UNITED AIRLINES | N793UA | 09/18/2016 | O'HARE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Image of my authorship

Old October 16th, 2016, 06:49 PM   #1437
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrybird2411 View Post
Continental and United were legacy carriers with long-standing brands. I'm thinking not much will change in the next 5 years. Besides the cost of rebranding AGAIN is something an airline would probably not want to spend money on.
I think the same way. The aviation market is subject to ups and downs in a more noticeable way than other markets. It seems that was another day that United Airlines was on the verge of bankruptcy due to catastrophic events of 2001. Today I see it as a consolidated company and take the right decisions. Use and retain the best way what they have, while serving well.
Old October 16th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #1438
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

BOEING 777-222ER | 2XPRATT & WHITNEY PW4090 MACH 0.72 (885 KPH - 550 MPH) | UNITED AIRLINES | N204UA | 09/18/2016 | O'HARE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Image of my authorship
Old October 16th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #1439
Fabricio JF
ad scientia

BOEING 737-924ERWL | 2XCFMI CFM56-7B26E MACH MACH 0.696 (853 KPH - 530 MPH) | UNITED AIRLINES | N37465 | 09/15/2016 | NEWARK LIBERTY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Image of my authorship

patel2897, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 16th, 2016, 11:09 AM   #1440
CollegeAviator

Likes (Received): 255

My first flight on the B767!

My first ever TATL flight with Delta happened to be my first ever flight on the B767!

Delta Air Lines only has one international flight to and from Chicago: Paris.
Its a flight that also operates only during the winter season.

Air France put me on BOM-BLR-CDG-ORD, this being the final leg from Paris to Chicago on the old B767-300ER.

Find the trip report here: DL123 CDG-ORD B76W

Find the YouTube video below:

Some pics:
dsc_8289 by College Aviator, on Flickr

dsc_8293 by College Aviator, on Flickr

dsc_8310 by College Aviator, on Flickr

img_8307 by College Aviator, on Flickr

img_8317 by College Aviator, on Flickr

img_8339 by College Aviator, on Flickr

img_8370 by College Aviator, on Flickr

img_8388 by College Aviator, on Flickr

img_8401 by College Aviator, on Flickr

dsc_8319 by College Aviator, on Flickr

dsc_8330 by College Aviator, on Flickr

Enjoy!

Facebook page, many aviation pictures!: https://www.facebook.com/collegeaviator/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/c/CollegeAviator

patel2897, nomarandlee liked this post
CollegeAviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airline, airlines, north american airlines, oneworld, skyteam, star alliance, travel, united states, us airlines