daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which HK skyscraper do you like the most or is the most symbollic for the city?
Bank Of China Tower 116 56.04%
Jardine House 4 1.93%
2 IFC 52 25.12%
HSBC Centre 4 1.93%
Central Plaza 9 4.35%
The Centre 7 3.38%
Cheung Kong Centre 1 0.48%
The Landmark 1 0.48%
Pacific Place 2 0.97%
Lippo Centre 9 4.35%
other 2 0.97%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 10th, 2005, 05:49 PM   #41
Candy
Architectural Student

Likes (Received): 2

BANK OF CHINA RULES

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2005, 06:13 AM   #42
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Some of my favorite underrated HK skyscrapers

Entertainment Building (Central), one of the NY Art-Deco inspired HK skyscrapers

Landmark (Central), still one of the prime choice for banks and offices in Central District.

PLA (HK HQ) (Admiralty), formerly The Prince of Wales building. It is the HQ of The People's Liberation Army in HK. Also one of the few high-rises in HK with a typical British look.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by Manila-X; December 21st, 2005 at 08:17 AM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 06:26 AM   #43
Joel que

Likes (Received): 42

what about Olympus tower?
Joel que no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:03 AM   #44
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Merry Christmas from Hong Kong

Old December 21st, 2005, 07:39 AM   #45
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel que
what about Olympus tower?
Olympus Tower? You must be talking about The Great Eagle Centre (163 m) in Wan Chai. It's one of the first skyscrapers to be erected in the Wan Chai CBD development back in the 80s.

The Great Eagle Centre in Wan Chai

Last edited by Manila-X; December 21st, 2005 at 07:49 AM.
Old December 21st, 2005, 11:34 AM   #46
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6295

2 IFC - that building kicks a**!
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:36 PM   #47
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Hong Kong's skyscrapers aren't just residential and commericial but industrial as well! A majority of these buildings are in Wong Chuk Hang near Aberdeen, Kwai Chung and Kwun Tong.

Some high-rise factories / industrial complexes in HK

Last edited by Manila-X; December 21st, 2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:30 AM   #48
XCRunner

Likes (Received): 0

BOC, followed by 2 IFC
Old December 23rd, 2005, 06:47 AM   #49
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Some "pencil scrapers" in HK

Old December 28th, 2005, 03:29 AM   #50
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

I don't know much about HK so I can't really say what symbolizes it, but I like Bank of China the most.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 03:41 AM   #51
snoopy
kawaii neh?

Likes (Received): 6

Bank of China la... it will always represent the uniqueness and style of the Hong Kong people and culture. It was built from our hard work attitude and determination. No matter where we go in the world we will always be linked with HK and will always retain our culture and our roots. We always stand out, even if we may not be the tallest =P.
Old December 28th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #52
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3401

pfff........... my favorite is missing.
I want One Peking Road on the list, now!!

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 04:53 AM   #53
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Avenue
I don't know much about HK so I can't really say what symbolizes it, but I like Bank of China the most.
Well the actual reason why I made this thread is to introduce HK skyscrapers and to discuss about the various towers in the city

About 1 Peking Road, here it is

Old December 28th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #54
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Bank of China Tower, closely followed by 2IFC.
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 06:32 AM   #55
LordMarshall
Evil is a Point of View

Location: Banja Luka - San Francisco - Washington DC - Taipei - Damascus - Amman - Jakarta - Seoul
Likes (Received): 4956

most recognizable is Bank Of China Tower

“The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles” - Mahatma Gandhi

LordMarshall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2005, 06:37 AM   #56
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I'm gonna give you guys props for saying the Bank Of China is the most recognizable HK skyscraper Cause today, it's being dwarfed by the 2-IFC.

For a person seeing today's HK skyline for the first time, they might recognize the 2-IFC more than The Bank Of China!

Old December 31st, 2005, 08:27 PM   #57
Art Deco
The Original Skyline

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
I'm gonna give you guys props for saying the Bank Of China is the most recognizable HK skyscraper Cause today, it's being dwarfed by the 2-IFC.

For a person seeing today's HK skyline for the first time, they might recognize the 2-IFC more than The Bank Of China!
And that's only going to get worse when the ICC is finished being constructed. The 2IFC is as tall as the 2WTC that once stood in New York City, so its going to catch people's eye at first glance but I believe that once they study the skyline a little bit and read about it, they'll recognize Bank of China as the most symbolic of Hong Kong. It just isn't the most recognizable at first glance anymore, but it doesn't really have to be.
Art Deco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:04 AM   #58
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Deco
And that's only going to get worse when the ICC is finished being constructed. The 2IFC is as tall as the 2WTC that once stood in New York City, so its going to catch people's eye at first glance but I believe that once they study the skyline a little bit and read about it, they'll recognize Bank of China as the most symbolic of Hong Kong. It just isn't the most recognizable at first glance anymore, but it doesn't really have to be.
It's hard to tell if The ICC will be more eye catching than the 2IFC. One thing, The ICC is not in HK Island but in Kowloon, away from where most of the HK's landmark skyscrapers are located.

Anyway, what ruined The Bank Of China is not The 2IFC but The Cheung Kong Centre which is the same level of height of the Bank Of China though it's a bit shorter.

To me, The Cheung Kong Centre is like The Metlife Building in New York. If The Metlife Building acts a a bodyguard to Chrysler, that's what the Cheung Kong is doin for Boc

But now, The BoC is just one of the bunch in HK's skyline, or to say one of the typical skyscrapers, just like the Woolworth in NY today!

Old January 6th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #59
Symphony of Lights
Aficionado

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
It's hard to tell if The ICC will be more eye catching than the 2IFC. One thing, The ICC is not in HK Island but in Kowloon, away from where most of the HK's landmark skyscrapers are located.
I'm anxiously awaiting to see the real thing in person and how the ICC will stand with 2IFC as the gateway skyscrapers of Hong Kong from across the Harbour. As for whether which of the two will be more eye catching, I suppose it'll really depend on how (and literally, where) you look at it. With most of the significant highrises located on HK island, the eye is going to be instantly drawn towards the enormous cluster of skyscrapers and will see the 2IFC as the most dominating of them all. On the otherhand, the ICC not only will have about 70m on it in height, but it also won't have much competition for attention on the Kowloon Peninsula. It is going to look outrageously huge on the northside of the harbour, even with the presence of the other Union Square projects.

Quote:
Anyway, what ruined The Bank Of China is not The 2IFC but The Cheung Kong Centre which is the same level of height of the Bank Of China though it's a bit shorter.

To me, The Cheung Kong Centre is like The Metlife Building in New York. If The Metlife Building acts a a bodyguard to Chrysler, that's what the Cheung Kong is doin for Boc

But now, The BoC is just one of the bunch in HK's skyline, or to say one of the typical skyscrapers, just like the Woolworth in NY today!
True, and I actually don't mind the Cheung Kong Centre, just not in that exact location! You're also correct about BoC becoming just one of the bunch in HK's skyline, but at the sametime it shows just how far the city's skyline has come since BoC became the first 300m tower outside of North America in 1989. For me, the BoC isn't quite at the Woolworth Building's level as far as how noticed it is. Instead, I'd compare it to that of the Chrysler Building as far as how it is thought of and noticed -- not the biggest or boldest skyscraper, but widely considered to be the most gorgeous and classy with the best design. The skyscraper I feel doesn't get as much attention as it deserves is The Centre, one of my all-time favorites.
Symphony of Lights no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #60
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony of Lights
I'm anxiously awaiting to see the real thing in person and how the ICC will stand with 2IFC as the gateway skyscrapers of Hong Kong from across the Harbour. As for whether which of the two will be more eye catching, I suppose it'll really depend on how (and literally, where) you look at it. With most of the significant highrises located on HK island, the eye is going to be instantly drawn towards the enormous cluster of skyscrapers and will see the 2IFC as the most dominating of them all. On the otherhand, the ICC not only will have about 70m on it in height, but it also won't have much competition for attention on the Kowloon Peninsula. It is going to look outrageously huge on the northside of the harbour, even with the presence of the other Union Square projects.

True, and I actually don't mind the Cheung Kong Centre, just not in that exact location! You're also correct about BoC becoming just one of the bunch in HK's skyline, but at the sametime it shows just how far the city's skyline has come since BoC became the first 300m tower outside of North America in 1989. For me, the BoC isn't quite at the Woolworth Building's level as far as how noticed it is. Instead, I'd compare it to that of the Chrysler Building as far as how it is thought of and noticed -- not the biggest or boldest skyscraper, but widely considered to be the most gorgeous and classy with the best design. The skyscraper I feel doesn't get as much attention as it deserves is The Centre, one of my all-time favorites.
Best way to see how the two skyscrapers (2-IFC and ICC) present themselves is to look at them at a far distance somewhere west of the harbour, probably near Lantau Or if you're in a jetfoil from Macau on the the way to HK.

True that the ICC might not get too much attention as most skyscrapers in Central (especially the 2-IFC) if you view it from The Peak. Just like the Hopewell Centre back in the days. But lets see what will happen when these projects are finished.

The Centre is somewhat underrated but it gets alot of attention at night. But compared to The Bank of China, it has a good location since there are no other supertalls surrounding it.

Isn't it interesting how you got the tallest skyscrapers positioned in HK Island. You got The Centre guarding the west, Bank Of China / 2-IFC guarding the centre and Central Plaza guarding the east