search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Talls: World's Top 201-300

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: 3 World Financial Center
10 31 12.55%
9.5 16 6.48%
9 47 19.03%
8.5 24 9.72%
8 48 19.43%
7.5 14 5.67%
7 28 11.34%
6.5 6 2.43%
6 10 4.05%
5.5 1 0.40%
5 7 2.83%
4.5 3 1.21%
4 5 2.02%
3.5 2 0.81%
3 or less 5 2.02%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8th, 2003, 01:28 AM   #1
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

#243 l Three World Financial Center l NEW YORK l 225m l 51fl

Three World Financial Center
New York, USA

HEIGHT: 225m/738 feet
FLOORS: 51 floors
COMPLETION: 1986
ARCHITECT: Cesar Pelli

also known as American Express Tower

The World Financial Center is a group of four towers, ranging from 33 to 54 storeys, completed in 1988 as a centerpiece for the new 112-acre Battery Park City (1979, Cooper Eckstut Assoc.), built on the Hudson River landfill next to the World Trade Center.
The first project for Battery Park City from 1966, by Wallace K. Harrison and his collaborators, included two sets of twin towers, similar in general appearance to today's World Trade Center towers. In the plan, one pair of towers was located to the waterfront in the southern edge of the landfill for the Battery Park City, and the other one to the northern edge, defining the extension of that residential enclave.

The actual Financial Center was developed for $1,200 million by the Canadian firm Olympia & York as a 650,000 mē design by Cesar Pelli's firm, comprising offices, restaurants and retail spaces.

The Financial Center's towers border the North Cove Marina, a bay harbour for pleasure boats, surrounded by patios and trees. The guardrail along the esplanade is engraved with quotations from Walt Whitman and Thomas O'Hara.

The towers have steplike Art Deco style set-backs reminiscent of the GE Building, the heights of these set-backs being determined by the Urban Development Council to fit the heights of the existing neighbourhood architecture. The facades are of granite and glass, the size of individual windows increasing with each set-back, changing the facades gradually from predominantly stone-clad to a curtain wall.

The towers are distinguishable by their differently shaped copper roofs:
- 1 WFC (1986) Cesar Pelli and Adamson & Assocs. - a cut pyramid (tower occupant: Dow Jones and Oppenheimer, 40 storeys)
- 2 WFC (1987) Cesar Pelli and Haines Lundberg Waehler - a dome (Merrill Lynch, height: 196.5 m, 51 storeys)
- 3 WFC (1985) Cesar Pelli and Adamson & Assocs. - a solid pyramid (200 Vesey St., American Express, height: 225.5 m, 54 storeys)
- 4 WFC (1986) Cesar Pelli and Haines Lundberg Waehler - a stepped pyramid (250 Vesey St., Merrill Lynch)

The architect also designed the top of the 1 WFC to follow the example of the neighbouring 90 West Street and the rotated positioning of the 3 WFC over its base that of the Barclay-Vesey Building.

Because much of the building space in these towers is occupied by computers which can be put into windowless rooms deep inside the building, each of the largest buildings in WFC (perhaps all buildings) in fact has more utility space than the 102-storey Empire State Building, where offices are located along the outer wall of the building.

The towers are all connected to each other either through their bases or by walkways. Two covered bridges cross West Street, connecting the Center to the World Trade Center (the North Bridge with 60 meters of clear span) and the block south of the WTC compound (the South Bridge, 67 meters).

The lobbies of the towers are lavishly decorated with marble and shiny black columns, and there is also the large glass-house-like Winter Garden (Cesar Pelli and Adamson & Assocs., landscape architect M. Paul Friedberg & Assocs., opened in October 1988) between the 2 and 3 WFC, with alabaster marble and coral Roho Alicante marble, 16 12-meter Washingtonia robusta palm trees from the Mojave Desert, as well as cafeterias and shops (image). The arch-roofed space is 38 m high and 60 m long. The Winter Garden also hosts concerts and various performances and exhibitions.

The complex was heavily damaged (especially in the interiors) in the September 11th, 2001 attacks, but will eventually return to its normal usage. The Winter Garden is undergoing a $50 million repair due to be completed in September. Merrill Lynch moved 6,000 employees into the 4 WTC in December, with the 2 WFC due to be occupied in February. American Express is due to return to the most heavily hit 3 WFC -- under increased security -- around April 2002, as soon as its knocked-out facade columns and interiors are rebuilt.

The repair of the destroyed Winter Garden will take approx. $50 million and will feature, along with the skeleton and 2,000 new glass panels for the skylight, the replacement of all the marble paving inside, 5,500 mē for $5.8 million. The Winter Garden was completed for a September 17, 2002 re-opening.

The Brookfield Financial Properties -- already owning two of the WFC buildings and a 51 percent stake of a third -- obtained Lehman Brothers' 51 percent ownership of the 3 WFC in September 2002 for $158 million, in effect co-owning the building with the American Express.

OmI92 liked this post

Last edited by ZZ-II; July 17th, 2008 at 05:31 PM.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2003, 02:45 AM   #2
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

8/10

I like the shape and the glass. Plus, the location is perfect next to Winter Gardens. It looks a bit like One Canada Square.

Last edited by Wu-Gambino; February 14th, 2004 at 03:04 PM.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 01:03 PM   #3
DamienK

Likes (Received): 83

I like the simple geometric pyramidal roof and the change in facade from granite to glass. 8/10
Old March 8th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #4
The Messiah
Finishing this fight

Likes (Received): 64

The glass facade on these towers looks very nice.
The tops of the building seem also very cool.!
I agree with the others 8.0/10
Old March 8th, 2003, 03:23 PM   #5
MiCH
wat?

Likes (Received): 0

World financial Center is a cool cluster. 8.5/10
MiCH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:04 PM   #6
SteelCity32
Don't be that guy!

Likes (Received): 6

nice and tall...

9/10
Old March 9th, 2003, 01:31 AM   #7
Subdude

Likes (Received):

These have really aged well. I am always impressed by how well the complex works in that location. 9!
Old March 10th, 2003, 06:19 AM   #8
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

8/10

I love its huge mass, which is tempered with some setbacks and the use of glass, and yes, it appears to have aged very well.
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 03:17 AM   #9
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 44

9/10..3 WFC always seems to look good somehow, especially when you start walking south and approach it, it's even better. 3 WFC is my favorite out of the whole WFC, it's simple, and the setbacks actually make the bulding look better.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2003, 03:38 AM   #10
mookiecece
Seoul-jah

Likes (Received): 3

used to look so small standing next to WTC, but still a 700 footer!!

8/10
mookiecece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2003, 07:47 AM   #11
Liz L

8.6/10 - I like the way the glass dances with the light, and the contrast provided by the change from stone to glass as the building rises. The set backs make the form livelier, both on the lower portion of the tower and near the roof, which thankfully isn't flat.

However, the building is still a bit chunky, which takes away from the soaring height, and the pyramid on top should have been made of the same stone and glass as the rest of the building, because as it is, it doesn't flow harmoniously from the rest of the building.

A friend of mine worked on this one as it was rising - he says the lobby's really impressive.
Old March 14th, 2003, 08:54 AM   #12
Oaronuviss
The Mighty.

Likes (Received): 1481

I really like those buildings.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 12:05 PM   #13
coco91

Simple and efficient style. These buildings becomes one of the NY symbols!

9/10!
coco91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #14
Wisma

Likes (Received): 2

9/10 great buildings.
But there's not one ' Pelli' building I don't like...
Wisma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2003, 05:05 AM   #15
Ptarmigan

Likes (Received):

9.5/10 World Financial Center is one of my favorite buildings in New York. Sure stands out well, even without the World Trade Center. It even complemented it well.
Old April 11th, 2003, 01:14 AM   #16
Evergrey

Likes (Received):

10 This is one of the definitive skyscrapers for me... I have always thought the WFC cluster were far superior to their giant neighbors... the WTC...

this building just gleams... the stone and the glass... it's amazing... and the tasteful setbacks... and that gorgeous green pyramid top... amazing
Old April 16th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #17
Jase Calvin

I have always like WFC. I like the how the granite setbacks contrast against the facade with the bigger windows. I also like the setbacks on the corners just under the roofs. And the love the different party hats (roofs) for each of them. This one looks quite a lot like One Canada Square in London. 8.5/10
Jase Calvin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2003, 01:01 AM   #18
BGT

Likes (Received):

9/10
Old April 26th, 2003, 07:58 AM   #19
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3516

A master piece of the 20th Century!!...9.5/10

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:12 PM   #20
TropicalSQ744
Boeing 747-412 9V-SPK

Likes (Received): 3

The identical cluster of towers put together has a nice effect The brownish clading is ok but the glass is nice

8/10
TropicalSQ744 no está en línea   Reply With Quote