daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #1
jdemiray
jdemiray

Likes (Received): 0

turning torso

What do you think of this 80 meter highrise office building?
jdemiray no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2264

Where is it supose to be built?
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #3
jdemiray
jdemiray

Good question, should be paste in a picture somewhere. I suggest to place it somewhere where is enough space to see what is going on there.
Urban environment with a mix of high-rise and medium-rise seems logical. But not too dense.
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #4
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

So you has designed this building?

The building is great! Turning Tarso is the wrong name though because it don't look like the building is twising very much. Reminds me more like a jelly tower!
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:12 PM   #5
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 203

great building, quite fat, but looks pretty wicked, the name sux though, its like someone names their building Empire State
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #6
jdemiray
jdemiray

funny, jelly tower, its theoratically turning around his axis till 90 degrees to the top floor.
It takes courage to name it jelly tower, but you gave me a good idea.
Accually, When I proposed this design to my fellow students, they kicked me out of the team. It was too radical or something. But in the end it came all (little) OK.
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #7
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

dont we already have a turning torso...?
cphdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #8
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3704

Very welldone renderings. But there is already one Turning Torso, so it can't be named that.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #9
jdemiray
jdemiray

yes yes, malmo, of calatrava is named turning torso too, shame on me. That building is awsum. Is it a icon of Malmo??
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #10
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

^ Buildings like Turning Tarso would be a icon in almost any city!

I really hope you keep on working on your project, its futuristic and a great tower, shame on your team-mates!
Old December 5th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #11
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

Looks nice, but not a cheap way of constructing a building, not practical. Unless your name is Santiago Calatrava or some other established name that can't build a building for less than an absurd amount of money, something like this won't sell.

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #12
jdemiray
jdemiray

Thom, thanks for keeping me out of my dream. No, I know it is expensive to built, I think, in practice there is enough to learn how to make things cheap.
Isn't it a bit of a Dutch mentality, make it as cheap as possible. Went to Tokyo this year, and things were dealt with differently. Therefore, Tokyo has a lot of crazy buildings popped out of nothing, just between ordinary housing. It's a great city by the way, highly recommend it to anyone, especially architecture/urbanism fans.
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #13
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

I'm not keeping you out of your dream. I wouldn't expect you to take any comments posted here seriously (and least of all my comments). I also agree that while you're still in the academic curriculum cost is something that is never a factor that needs consideration (I am studying architecture in Delft) as it shouldn't be. However, if something can be done cheaper without any cosmetic differences intended by the architect, then they can surely be implemented.

I can't judge any of these things because a couple of renders don't show anything, floorplans and cross-sections are more informative when it comes to actual architecture (this is not a jab at your design at all), so for that I apologize since my arguments may have been presumptuous.

When I myself design structures, I usually take the location of the construction-site strongly into consideration, which leads me to wonder why you chose for the form that I see in your renders, what does the twisting have to do with the building, does it have a function? (Instead of just criticizing, I thought I'd add more constructive fuel to the thread)

All that I would like to say about the Dutch mentality with things being as cheap as possible, I have to say: look at Dutch projects by Dutch architects. A lot of them are very durable and may or may not cost very much. A lot of top notch Dutch architects are known to have designed great buildings with a tight budget. Of course we have a lot of cheapo buildings, but so does Tokyo.

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #14
jdemiray
jdemiray

Please, don't take my reply agressive. I'm glad you can relativate my design. The first sentence in my previous reply was just meant as a joke. I like to take this forum a bit serious sometimes, or else there is no fun at all.You don't mind that I asume.
Interesting, didn't know Dutch architects had the name to design good durable buildings with relatively low budgets compared to the rest of the world. Tokyo has very ugly buildings with grey synthetic facades, but on the other hand there is also a a lot of the opposite, which is much less been seen in The Netherlands, it looks often a bit the same compared to Japan. Did you ever went to Japan? It's great out there, I'm a big fan of Japan. Allthough they are socially quit sick, we are socially very healthy in Holland (incl. Europe). I saw in Japan a pillow with an arm attached, it was made for women who felt alone and needed (physical) warmth while sleeping. There are more examples like this. Cuz also a lot of women work till midnight in Japan nowadays which gives them not a lot of time to meet a boyfriend, or even when they have one, it is normal that you can't spend a lot of time with him.
But anyway, back to the renders, you are right if the environment is very very important to see the building in, cuz it gives the relation between building and (urban) landscape. I still have to take pictures of the intended location and put the renders within it. It's near a church of the same height, We are often very afraid to change the characteristics of a church or the plaza where it is standing in (in christian countries). Therefore I thought it takes a bit of courage to ignore the church, better to say, even compete with the church. Like st. Patricks cathedral is competing with its surrounding skyscrapers in Manhattan. Why should we be afraid of building high-rise near a church, it makes the church itself much more interesting to. Its reflecting todays democracy where the church is no longer the dogmatic institution, but rather acts along our democratic system. Projects are going on where appartments are built within a church which reflects the same maybe even stronger. The church is not an autonomous building anymore which it is used to be. That doesn't mean we have to ignore its existence and disrespect it, but use it.
How do you think about this?
The problem with floorplans and cross-sections of this building is, they don't reveal the shape of this building. And putting those on the forum I thought it would be a bit exaggerating.