search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia > Rīga

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 203 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 21st, 2008, 10:44 PM   #281
raz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrav View Post
I just know RVR has printed posters of new tram inside the yard of their building...
That's Bombardier's design, iirc.
raz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:58 PM   #282
Mikrobs
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Do you have any photo with those RVR posters?
Mikrobs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM   #283
Gatis

Likes (Received): 590

Pictures posted here in April 2006:

This poster is in Russian because this tram is designed for Moscow
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:31 AM   #284
Micrav
Live!

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
Today Riga Traffic Department proudly presented Skulte flyover project. This is new large traffic bridge across railway in northern part of Riga, in Sarkandaugava. Construction - end of 2008 - 2010. Length of the rised part - 300 metres, four lines with division in middle, all the necessary access roads and . This building should take away the constant traffic jams in Sarkandaugava and turn this historical part of city into something more pleasant.

Costs - 67 - 71 mio EUR. This is a lot - if you ask me...
Great! At last. I hope that it will be 4 lanes up to Ganibu Dambis, no 2 lane section anywhere...

Any picture or plan?

Last edited by Micrav; February 24th, 2008 at 03:11 AM.
Micrav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM   #285
RWR-Architecture

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Pictures posted here in April 2006:

http://transit.parovoz.com/muralista...ID=1316&LNG=EN
RWR-Architecture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #286
Laurijs
Laurijs

Likes (Received): 7

RVR-LF02

RVR-2000

Lots of more about latvian rail transport (on russian language) can be found here: http://rigatransport.sitecity.ru/

Subscribe | Rate | Comment
Laurijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:57 PM   #287
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurijs View Post
RVR-LF02

RVR-2000

Lots of more about latvian rail transport (on russian language) can be found here: http://rigatransport.sitecity.ru/
Nice, but I would change some easthetics details as well as propose a different colour scheme... RVR should produce more beautiful projects like this one... With or without partnership
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:09 PM   #288
Micrav
Live!

I believe tender is ending soon, lets see which project will win... I u have news...
Old March 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM   #289
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1676

The weird part is that new doesn't have to mean it's better. Helsinki has been having big problems with their Variotrams ever since they got them. And they're buying old trams from Germany, because these are more reliable.
Rebasepoiss está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2008, 11:22 PM   #290
Janis_LV
Janis_LV

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
The weird part is that new doesn't have to mean it's better. Helsinki has been having big problems with their Variotrams ever since they got them. And they're buying old trams from Germany, because these are more reliable.
In the face of today's economic realities and huge current account deficit I am glad the trams will be produced in Riga. And we should carefully look at Helsinki experience - low floor trams is really just a transport, we don't have to prove nothing to anybody. We just want quick, comfortable and efficient public transport - they should not exaggerate and make something toooo fancy and accordingly expensive. Just a good relieable tram.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:23 AM   #291
Nomels
I Love Ice

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janis_LV View Post
In the face of today's economic realities and huge current account deficit I am glad the trams will be produced in Riga. And we should carefully look at Helsinki experience - low floor trams is really just a transport, we don't have to prove nothing to anybody. We just want quick, comfortable and efficient public transport - they should not exaggerate and make something toooo fancy and accordingly expensive. Just a good relieable tram.
WOW, how can you be 100% certain they will be produced in Riga? I absolutley for it. Do you know anything about it we don't?
Old March 23rd, 2008, 12:33 AM   #292
Gatis

Quote:
we don't have to prove nothing to anybody
Excelent thinking. And in fact - Riga has no finances for something "extra" in these times - we would be lucky if low-floor tram will go through. From the other side - Riga still is elegant city, it deserves good looking tram system.

Unfortunately there are no news about the choice of low-floor trams. Look at the announcement of this tender: (in Latvian)
http://www.iub.gov.lv/iub/ads_popup/...ow_ad&Nr=32858

Tender will be opened on 4th April this year. Soon after this day we will know who has applied - but the winner - I think, we will wait months before we will know it.
Old April 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #293
Nomels
I Love Ice

Two interesting things appeared in media:
- Transport Ministry admits that 1 and 1/2 lane on VIA Baltica is a complete failure and it in future there will be more high speed motorways. VIA Baltica is likely to be reconstructed again - this time into dual motorway.

- Eastern Dual Carriageway will be finished at the end of the year, but two level connections to the VEF bridge on Gaujas street end and connections to the Meza Prospekts will be lengthy due to the high groundwaters and 7m deep swampy peat underneath
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #294
Gatis

Tehcnical designs for both two-level crossings are ready. The construction of the crossing which is more to the south shall be tendered soon - most likely in May already.
- - -
There has been received only one bid in the tender for supply of low-floor trams to Riga. This bid comes from "Skoda". Bid is evaluated now. Sad news - because now we can forget about any plans to produce trams locally. If somebody had such plans, he would come up with his tender proposal.
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #295
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Tehcnical designs for both two-level crossings are ready. The construction of the crossing which is more to the south shall be tendered soon - most likely in May already.
- - -
There has been received only one bid in the tender for supply of low-floor trams to Riga. This bid comes from "Skoda". Bid is evaluated now. Sad news - because now we can forget about any plans to produce trams locally. If somebody had such plans, he would come up with his tender proposal.
For trams, I really would have believed there would have been 3 proposals, among them RVR, maybe Siemens or Alstom, and Skoda... what happened?

If it is Skoda who wins, I hope it should at least look like this picture, design Porsche... I think that I should ask Skoda to redesign their trams... They must need designers if they asked Porsche to design trams for such a result...

Old April 11th, 2008, 10:58 PM   #296
Micrav
Live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomels View Post
Two interesting things appeared in media:
- Transport Ministry admits that 1 and 1/2 lane on VIA Baltica is a complete failure and it in future there will be more high speed motorways. VIA Baltica is likely to be reconstructed again - this time into dual motorway.
Hum Hum, who is the person who ever, only one second that a two and a half lane road would replace a four lane road. Like my Latvian friend said, Latvia is wonderland. Then I say "Where the f... is Alice" (Somehow like the song...)

We had 3 lanes road in Belgium in the 70s, 80's who were the deadliest, now Latvia has created an open "highway to hell". Drivers in Latvia are not Irish (where they have such kind of 2,1/2 lane roads), they are not Gentlemen drivers... SORRY GUYS. In Latvia we need good normal and safe highways with 4 lanes+safety and 120-130km/h speed limit. There is no alternative solution nowadays!!! This will help develop business, tourism, attractivity, safety, countryside, unstuck partly Riga... Why I am not Latvian politician, maybe I should present myself to Saiema, maybe they need a consultant...

By the way, how they will expand the bridges in Saulkrasti? There is only room for 4 lanes and one beton wall in the middle, no room for safety lane...
(Note to engineers and politicians: no metal fence that don't insure a lot of safety pls). Look what is in Belgium and you will understand why they work like that. Here is a picture of what it should look like when finished (with a little bit of lighting, it is even better for safety during night) :

Wow, my quote is quite "rock and roll" this time, normal for a road with rolling stock...

Last edited by Micrav; April 11th, 2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #297
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
???

I can not believe it! I hope its not true. There must be something to it. Why f***g shkoda? Who is so irresponsible to miss the opportunity to revive RVR?

I would want to know how could this happen!!!
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #298
Nomels
I Love Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micrav View Post
We had 3 lanes road in Belgium in the 70s, 80's who were the deadliest, now Latvia has created an open "highway to hell". Drivers in Latvia are not Irish (where they have such kind of 2,1/2 lane roads), they are not Gentlemen drivers... SORRY GUYS. In Latvia we need good normal and safe highways with 4 lanes+safety. There is no alternative solution nowadays!!! This will help develop business, tourism, attractivity, safety, countryside, unstuck partly Riga... Why I am not Latvian politician, maybe I should present myself to Saiema, maybe they need a consultant...
See, this is what I am talking about - doing and after reflecting on what they did. I and I bet for most people in Latvia prefer to see most politicians as Apes who have just landed from trees. Thanks God we might have a chance to sack them if the bill (you which law) will go through to the referendum.

I think if it is ever to be reconstructed then into 6 lane motorway all way through from Tallinn to Warsaw.
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:26 PM   #299
Micrav
Live!

For VIA Baltica, a smart way to work is to design a 2+2+safety road highway together with a high speed train line parralele to it (it is possible).
No extra noise elsewhere, large curves for speed, safety, one study for environment, what to ask more? Why make 2 studies when you can make one? I know it is quite simple to say this, but it works...

See picture below:
Old April 11th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #300
RWR-Architecture

Likes (Received): 14

Skoda 15T 100% Low floor, and tram is taking part in Riga tender, on the basis of Skoda 15T...
RWR-Architecture no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
public transport, riga

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: