daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia

Old July 8th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #21
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS
The metro idea is old but never completed, but still the only solution in Riga for sure. It is expensive project for naw, but....there can talking more and more about that problem
Chilenofuturista no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 8th, 2006, 09:46 PM   #22
RS
RS

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilenofuturista
At first I am sorry for my english grammar

In soviet times (USSR), there was plan to build metro, the first version was tha rapid underground tram in 70' thies, but then it was calculated that this project payments is close to full metro standart, and there was plan that Rigas population will be more then one million and it was necessary in all USSR urbans to buld a metro, but Riga was exclusive city in civilated area side by Baltic sea, and metro project was planned as gift from Moscow and prestige question for Riga. There was two versions as I know: three line network with connects in city Center, and the last version two line, (red line from Jugla to Imanta, from east under river Daugava to west suburbs. Blue line from south east Pļavinieki to north Sarkandaugava only in Riga's right side. Connecting stations near the Reval Hotel Latvia in city center.

Then it was prestige question, but today this is the only solution, that partly can help to work Park & Ride system. Riga has planned lot of big areas around center with business, shopping and living centers. The traffic jums in city is progressing every year, so the busses end trollybusses is no effective, by trams also it is a bit faster, but thera are no plans to put it underground, the city central area is beautiful and full with buildings so there isn't possible to build overhead railway, so the only one solution is underground at last in city center (like helsinki, or Stockholm, lot of examples there is ). It is time question, when construcion of underground tram or metro will start in my mind.

P.S. The Riga metro stations was very beatifull in 1980'ties, wich was planned by latvian architects.
RS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 11:27 PM   #23
Sakaarnis

Likes (Received): 0

As much as i want to, metro is utopian ide nowadays for Riga. First of all its expensive and im not talking millions here. Second, Rigas population is reducing year by year and a metro for 700k ppl doesnt seem as a productive plan. The factg theye were thinking about metro at soviet times is logical. Number of inhabitants were growing (fair to say it was a part of russification policy), all the materials was cheap and project wassupposed to be sponored by USSR party, so no obsticles. Thats all long gone, lets improve existing transportation system and move on.
Sakaarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #24
RS
RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakaarnis
As much as i want to, metro is utopian ide nowadays for Riga. First of all its expensive and im not talking millions here. Second, Rigas population is reducing year by year and a metro for 700k ppl doesnt seem as a productive plan. The factg theye were thinking about metro at soviet times is logical. Number of inhabitants were growing (fair to say it was a part of russification policy), all the materials was cheap and project wassupposed to be sponored by USSR party, so no obsticles. Thats all long gone, lets improve existing transportation system and move on.

You sakarnis living in Ogre, you dont need a metro
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:50 AM   #25
Sakaarnis

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS
You sakarnis living in Ogre, you dont need a metro
yes i am living in Ogre, but for many years most of the day i spend in Riga, so this is my issue too.
Sakaarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #26
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

Likes (Received): 134

Hi

Fair enough. No underground 'cause its too sandy. What about other options, other ideas? How about elevated tram?

What else?

Last edited by Nomels; July 9th, 2006 at 12:07 PM.
Nomels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #27
delfin_pl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Riga is the same size as Krakow, in Krakow underground fast city tram is under construction, I dont see any reason not to build it in Riga as well

Last edited by delfin_pl; July 9th, 2006 at 12:02 PM.
delfin_pl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #28
RS
RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomels
Fear enough. No underground 'cause its too sandy. What about other options, other ideas? How about elevated tram?

What else?

Where did you put this monorail or tram, overhead on Brivibas street in center

The sand isn't problem, just more expensive construction.
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #29
RS
RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin_pl
Riga is the same size as Krakow, in Krakow underground fast city tram is under construction, I dont see any reason not to build it in Riga as well

Haw meny people live in Cracow ?
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #30
RS
RS

Riga is aproximatly the same size as Oslo or Helsinki, and there is lot of examples, the problem is only in money for sure...
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #31
delfin_pl
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS
Haw meny people live in Cracow ?
780 000 (2004) aglomeration 1,4 mln, ok Riga is a bit smaller but still it could build sth like this, its not so hard to get EU funds for projects like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krak%C3%B3w
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #32
RS
RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin_pl
780 000 (2004) aglomeration 1,4 mln, ok Riga is a bit smaller but still it could build sth like this, its not so hard to get EU funds for projects like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krak%C3%B3w

I was only one time in Cracow, but dont mind thet there live so meny people, city center was quite small as I remind, only one street with litle bit older buildings... So there is many suburbs I guess..
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #33
RS
RS

And every time as I drive through Cracow there is graffiti picture of standart soviet metro train, so it was like remind that city needs it...
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #34
delfin_pl
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS
I was only one time in Cracow, but dont mind thet there live so meny people, city center was quite small as I remind, only one street with litle bit older buildings... So there is many suburbs I guess..
one street you must be kidding, city center is quite big, (bigger than in Riga) with the biggest market square in Europe! and a little bit older buildings? Krakow was capital of Poland and was not destroyed during WW2 - those buildings are original, so is Wawel castle.

this is city center, construction of underground fast city tram is in northern part of city center

http://www.wkukrowodrza12.republika.pl/mapa.jpg

Last edited by delfin_pl; July 9th, 2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old July 9th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #35
delfin_pl
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS
And every time as I drive through Cracow there is graffiti picture of standart soviet metro train, so it was like remind that city needs it...
first you wrote that you've been only once in Krakow, now you're saying every time you drive through Krakow - make up your mind.

anyway next year first part will be opened,

so you can come and see it, I bet fast city tram would be the best solution for Riga, construction of those tunnels is much cheaper than drilling deep metro.

stations in Krakow

and construction

Last edited by delfin_pl; July 9th, 2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old July 9th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #36
Artis

Likes (Received): 4

does somebody have mape or scheme of proposed Riga underground from eighties?
Of course - there is no meaning to show them cos it's never completed past. But still it's interesting to see them today if somebody has information like that.
Artis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #37
RS
RS

[QUOTE=delfin_pl]first you wrote that you've been only once in Krakow, now you're saying every time you drive through Krakow - make up your mind.

It was just under way to Germany, only one time I was really in city, to take a look.
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:05 AM   #38
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 77

khm, Riga city centre is more compact and more "complete" than Krakows center, and also a bit bigger..

Also, we are awesome architects - www.sportsport.ee
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #39
delfin_pl
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le
khm, Riga city centre is more compact and more "complete" than Krakows center, and also a bit bigger..
Krakow's center is complete,dense and slightly bigger, its also the tourist destination with incredible monuments like Wawel castle and whole Old City, arts like Da Vinci's and Rembrand's paintings - I hope Riga will become so popular as well - it deserves it, Riga is the only city in Baltics that has the big city felling

Last edited by delfin_pl; July 9th, 2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #40
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 77

/\ your sad. go to google earth for a moment and see for yourself...

Also, we are awesome architects - www.sportsport.ee
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
public transport, riga