daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia

Old October 21st, 2010, 12:46 PM   #1601
bebrs12

Likes (Received): 25

The technology for mayor urban cable routes is not developed yet but I see no reason why that couldn't be possible (it would be perfect if RVR take the niche). Now it is a boom in South America to connect slums on the slopes to the downtowns with gondola lines as part of mass transit - but that is mainly due to challenging terrain and using the equipment similar to that found in ski resorts.
Here is one option for lines in city centre - stations located in courtyards, no constructions made on streets so visual impact is very small.
image hosted on flickr

Sponsored Links

Old October 21st, 2010, 04:13 PM   #1602
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 583

Wasn't there a plan to build a cable route along Daugava river near the centre?
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:40 PM   #1603
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebrs12 View Post
The technology for mayor urban cable routes is not developed yet but I see no reason why that couldn't be possible (it would be perfect if RVR take the niche). Now it is a boom in South America to connect slums on the slopes to the downtowns with gondola lines as part of mass transit - but that is mainly due to challenging terrain and using the equipment similar to that found in ski resorts.
Here is one option for lines in city centre - stations located in courtyards, no constructions made on streets so visual impact is very small.
image hosted on flickr
I fail to see your point, could you explain where exactly in Riga such useless system might be needed? It is also possible to build monorail over roofs, but WHY? And I don't understand your affection with the 3rd world underdeveloped Latin American cities, this region is clearly not an example for PT improvement in Riga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
In principle it is valid type of public transport. Cabin capacity in a case of New York - 125 people - so it can carry lots of people.
And it makes only 115 trips per day. For a 20 million metropolis that is laughable. Ok, city could build such "funny" transport to Zaķusala if developers will bring some life there, but we all know that wont happen in next 20 years.

Last edited by ABC LV; October 21st, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
ABC LV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:05 PM   #1604
Gatis

Likes (Received): 424

Quote:
And it makes only 115 trips per day. For a 20 million metropolis that is laughable.
This is single line of public transport. It can be New York or galactic superpolis, but one line of public transport will work like this.

Ambermarks - landmarks of Latvia
Gatis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:51 PM   #1605
bebrs12

Quote:
I fail to see your point, could you explain where exactly in Riga such useless system would be needed? It is also possible to build monorail over roofs, but WHY? And I don't understand your affection with the 3rd world underdeveloped Latin American cities, this region is clearly not an example for PT improvement in Riga.
Compared to monorail CPT uses significantly less materials as the cables need to resist only tension forces but beams for monorails bending + monorail vehicles are heavier cos brings engines with them (gondolas moves because the cable is moving).
Same as with monorail CPT can be built also few meters above the street, but then the visual impact would be significant.
I made this proposal as alternative to any type of tunneling in the central part - cable transport is a way to use ground and air efficiently. If ground level is not congested then there is no need to move transport to underground or to the sky.

And why Latin America? Because similar to Riga they don't have tons of money and are constantly searching to build cheap and efficient systems. Any your remark ABC is actually very offensive - you speak as if planners from Latam are not capable of inventing useful things.
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM   #1606
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

Quote:
alternative to any type of tunneling in the central part
How can this slow and low capacity transport be alternative to rapid transport high capacity high speed underground tram? Not to mention that such cables will only ruin city look.
Quote:
Because similar to Riga they don't have tons of money
And that is the only similarity. Unlike Riga these cities are rapidly expanding in population and motorization, cities there are forced to search for some cheap interim solutions like BRT of funny cable trams to "slum districts" before building some real electric rail PT. Rigas case are completely different, population is not growing, it is shrinking, and unlike LA cities Riga already has unnaturally high variety of PT available.
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:59 PM   #1607
Gatis

Quote:
Riga already has unnaturally high variety of PT available.
Yep, perfectly correct. It is noted that too much costs go into this diversity where simpler networks would be cheaper.
----------------------------------
I almost forgot to say:
Started public hearings about Riga / Pieriga Mobility Plan!!! This is historic document, where EU forced state and Riga to come together and to make single strategy for the development of transport in Riga metropolitan region. It outlines where Riga+Pieriga will invest in coming decade in transport systems.

EU money won't be available for investment in infrastructure of those cities above 100,000 inhabitants which don't have such plans for their metropolitan regions.
(Btw. Riga is the only one in Baltics which makes this plan - but somehow I believe that Lithuanian cities will get the financing without making these plans, they always manage.)

Your opinion is wanted!!! See the documents here:
http://www.sam.gov.lv/satmin/content/?cat=461

This is document of giant size, reading it alone may take several days (I have read and commented it some 5 times thus far). Look for tables with priority projects - they might be the most interesting ones.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1608
bebrs12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABC LV View Post
How can this slow and low capacity transport be alternative to rapid transport high capacity high speed underground tram? Not to mention that such cables will only ruin city look.
But if a technical solution is found and the speed and capacity is increased it can perfectly do the same or more. Due to smaller vehicle capacity gondola system have very short intervals that gives attractiveness for users. As I showed before, the visual impact depends on how the system is built and can also be insignificant (in reality ugly are the stations - supports, cables and gondolas gives small impact). I think CPT have a bright future and it will switch from crossing steep slopes to flying over roads, rivers, railways, traffic lights, pedestrians and buildings.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:22 PM   #1609
Gatis

Quote:
But if a technical solution is found and the speed and capacity is increased
That "if" kills it. At least in Latvia, where with much less effort could be achieved a lot in existing systems.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:53 PM   #1610
bebrs12

Sure - now the existing system must be developed. No one is going to build nor cables nor tunnels anytime soon.
==================================
As another idea I have some type of individual system for each of passenger that calculates the fastest way between current location and destination chosen by the user including walking distances, pedestrian traffic lights, stop locations, waiting and riding times, connection times and delays.
If each passenger will use such a system the effects are bigger than just a new form of schedule display - it will make many of existing PT organisation principles redundant. For example - dozens of routes with long intervals would work as good as few routes with short intervals; bus routes could be dynamic - no need to go into a congested street if detour is available - passengers will be informed about changes. Passengers could also be artificially distributed between many lines in order to avoid crowding in stations and vehicles; buses could target areas with suddenly high number of passengers - after/before sports event, ferry arrival or student group going to museum.
Old October 29th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1611
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 293

Interesting news from RS:
Quote:
Tramvaju pasažieriem lūdzam pievērst uzmanību, ka mainās saraksti tramvaju kursēšanas laikiem uz /no depo. Informējam, ka no 1. novembra tramvaji vairs neuzsāks un nebeigs darbu 4. tramvaju depo, kas atrodas Tipogrāfijas ielā 1 (līdz šim to darīja 5. un 10. maršruta tramvaji). Attiecīgi šo abu maršrutu tramvaji uz/no depo kursēs tikai uz/no Frīdriķa ielas 2. Izmaiņas skars arī 6. tramvaju maršrutu- turpmāk šī maršruta tramvaji uz/no depo kursēs tikai uz/no Brīvības ielas 191 izvietoto tramvaju depo. Uz attiecīgajiem depo pēc darba dienas beigām tramvaji uzsāks kursēt no 31. oktobra.
Are they clossing down that depo? I know it's really small and the track layout there isn't the best.
"
- Sun Tzu
Hybrid 87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #1612
Jānis

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Are they clossing down that depo? I know it's really small and the track layout there isn't the best.
http://forum.myriga.info/index.php?showtopic=2813
Jānis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #1613
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Danke schon
"
- Sun Tzu
Old October 30th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #1614
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

http://www.pv.lv/index.php?cat=1

RvR acīmredzami neatbilst kaudzei punktu! Ja viņi uzvarēs tā būs nelikumība.
Old October 31st, 2010, 12:40 PM   #1615
Jānis

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
RvR acīmredzami neatbilst kaudzei punktu!
Piemēram?
Jānis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #1616
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Just some graphs about Riga public transport (Trams, Trolleybuses and Buses) I made today . The info is only about vechichles which have not been withdrawn from service.

By manufacturing year

By manufacturer

Trams by age

Trams by model

Trolleybuses by age

Trolleybuses by model

Buses by age

Buses by model
"
- Sun Tzu
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #1617
Rubinski
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Belorussia by bike

Hi... I want to travel to Belorussia in 2011, and I would like to know if there is any infrastructure for cycletourism or rental bikes in Belorussian cities. Thanks!
Rubinski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #1618
vanniken
Explorer

Likes (Received): 6

Probably, to get an answer to this, you have to visit Belarussian thread of SSC, if there is one.
Instead of planning missions to Mars, it would be good for NASA to send up rockets and push a bunch of planets out of alignment. Then they could sit back and laugh when everyone realizes that their horoscopes aren't coming true.
vanniken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 07:28 AM   #1619
historyworks
Perpetual Bohemian

Likes (Received): 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid 87 View Post
Just some graphs about Riga public transport (Trams, Trolleybuses and Buses) I made today . The info is only about vechichles which have not been withdrawn from service.
Thank you for this most interesting analysis Hybrid 87.

Certainly seems to have been major investment in buses in recent years.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 08:12 AM   #1620
ABC LV
✖✖✖✖✖✖

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid 87 View Post

Trolleybuses by model

AFAIK most of these 15 tr are in conservation.

Tags
public transport, riga