daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #1
dougmatic
dougmatic

Likes (Received): 0

Over/Underrated Skylines

What skylines are over and underrated in your opinion? I'm not too familiar with skylines outside of the US, so here we go:

Underrated:
Detroit- I love the older looking architecture, nice density and has a nice historic feel to it. Pretty good height in my opinion, and the tall cluster makes it unique.
Philadelphia- Very dense, ONe liberty place and the other scraper are two of my favorites and go together very well, cool lighting at night.
Pittsburgh: smaller skyline, but for some reason I just feel that it just WORKS. Plus I think the bridges give it character.

Overrated:
Atlanta: A couple of nice scrapers here and there but it's too spread out and it's funny how people who show off Atlanta's skyline try to make it at an angle so it's the least spread out as possible. I was born in Atlanta and I love the city but it's skyline is overrated IMO.
San Diego: where I live now, I think the skyline sucks, I know the height issue is because of you fly right over downtown, but not only that it's not very dense.
Miami- Developing rapidly but as of now I don't really like the skyline, it's kinda like Dubai's in that it has a lot of tall buildings but they're just not coherently placed to make it a satisfying skyline.

Any thoughts?
dougmatic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #2
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Here are mine

overrated
1) Hong Kong
2) New York
3) Dubai
4) Shanghai
5) Singapore

underrated
1) Urumqi
2) Pyongyang
3) Metro Manila
4) Guangzhou
5) Curitiba

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #3
dougmatic
dougmatic

Hong Kong and New York overrated? I agree with you on Dubai though, and kind of Singapore too. I like Shangai's though. Pyongyang underrated? Are you kidding me? That place is a dump.
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #4
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Pyongyang is underrated because true that it is a silent city but it has a superb skyline typical of most communist metropolis. It actually kinda like Seoul except Seoulmates have more freedom and is more bustling!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #5
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

dare i say the greatest and appropriately celebrated skyline in the world is Chicago? lets not all pounce on me at once
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #6
Forza Raalte

Likes (Received): 2

Overrated:
* Paris
* Shanghai
* Toronto
* Panama City
* Minneapolis

Underrated:
* Chongqing
* Tel Aviv
* Buenos Aires
* Mexico City
* Kuwait City

Explanation for some:
Paris- The skyline is really dense I have to admit that but there is just one beautiful building in this city and that is EDF. The rest is average or below average.
Panama City-Again a dense skyline but look at the designs. Not one of the buildings is really jaw dropping, most of them are just boring residentials. A big minus is that there are only residentials
Chongqing- Okay, the city is poluted as hell and the river is as dirty as a dump but the skyline is very nice. It is dense and has some real quality buildings.
Tel Aviv-Very, very underrated. It has some beauties, just take a look at it once.
Kuwait City- Can it be any more futuristic, no!
Forza Raalte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #7
bohio
Deacon Blues

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza Raalte
Overrated:
Panama City-Again a dense skyline but look at the designs. Not one of the buildings is really jaw dropping, most of them are just boring residentials. A big minus is that there are only residentials
I'm sure you don't mean that a residential can't be a good building, after all, what are Trump World Tower or Q1? Also, there are many important office skyscrappers in Panama, sure they can't compare with some flamboyant designs in HK or Dubai, but you do see tourists dropping their jaws when looking at them.
bohio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #8
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12186

Does this achieve anything constructive? I can certainly see where some trolls will use it as an opportunity to vent against cities that consistently beat their own in polls... To me this seems sort of silly.
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #9
vc15nets

Likes (Received): 61

Overrated
- London (Canary Wharf is great but the City stinks)
- New York (Love the city...but an excess of anything is bad....a concrete jungle)

Underrated
- Riyadh (with Kingdom at 300m, Fasaliah at 267m, Riyadh TV tower at 200m, NCCI building at 100m, and King Faisal Foundation Building at 100m). Thats a good skyline (And not to mention the upcoming Anoud tower at 150m).
- Kuwait City
- The future skyline of Manama
- Dubai (just doesnt get the respect it deserves)
- Vancouver
vc15nets no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:38 PM   #10
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 305

Overrated:

- Vancouver. It's mostly low and midrises, very repetitive and bland. Many people seem overly thrilled by the raw number of buildings and mountain backdrop.
- Hong Kong. It has a huge assortment of buildings and good height (making it a great skyline), but there isn't a enough variation in styles and eras, and there are too many repetive residentials. I actually find Hong Kong a bit tiring on the eyes since the skyline is so extreme. It needs a bit of subtlety and tact in its presentation. Do like it though.
- Houston. It's extremely large and tall, but I find it too cold and austere, in adition to being a bit boxy. Also not enough variation in eras/styles. I think people overrate it mainly because they're awed by its sheer bulk.
- Toronto. Too corporate and severe. Also, there really aren't that many supertalls for a NA city of its size and wealth. Many people quote the impressive total number of buildings, but many of those buildings are low and midrise, and aren't even visible in the skyline. This is still a great skyline mind you, and its abundance of low and midrise buildings is wonderful at street level, but people have an unfortunate habit of overrating it.

Underrated:

- San Francisco. It has a huge and beautiful skyline. Excellent density and bulk, a great location, and some nice buildings as well, but some people are put off by the lack of supertalls and the fact that all the buildings aren't visible from every angle.
- Calgary. It is a small city, and not everyone is aware of it yet. But it has great bulk and density, and very reasonable height, which is a rarity in NA. Many cities have either/or. Nice shape as well.
- Boston. Its skyline isn't as modern or glitzy as some, but it's very large and dense, has good height, and some very handsome sturdy buildings (to me anyway, lol). Also, I love the huge variety of views and prespectives this skyline offers. One of my US favs.
- Paris. Many People only focus on La Defense, but I like the entire Paris skyline, including the many fascinating domes and spires. Paris's non highrise skyline is as appealing to me as a skyline full of gleaming glass towers. And of course, La Defense isn't too bad either.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #11
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

New York isnt overrated. When you think of skyscrapers you think of New York.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #12
vc15nets

Likes (Received): 61

You are absolutely right. I never meant to disrespect the city or its skyscrapers. They are the ones that laid the foundations for the modern skyscraper. And believe me, I love New York and I truly think that it is one of the greatest cities in the world. But too many skyscrapers concentrated in such a small area make the massive skyscrapers look shorter than they actually are. That is what puts me off. But besides that, I think New York is the best when it comes to skyscrapers
vc15nets no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #13
K÷btke

Likes (Received): 197

Overrated:
Shanghai (too spread out to look good, although some nice buildings)
Houston
Atlanta
Toronto (the architecture on display in the tall buildings isn't all that good. And I don't see what all the fuss is about on this forum. Sure, it's OK, and quite dense, but nothing really special in my opinion)

Underrated:
Pittsburgh (have to agree with dougmatic, it simply just works. Looks great)
Minneapolis (probably one of my favoureit skylines in the world. It's just stunning)
Sydney (again, a skyline that isn't really that tall, but it works brilliantly. A showcase that tall isn't always the best. It's more about matching buildings, both in height and apperance)
K÷btke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 01:37 AM   #14
CHI

Likes (Received): 2

Overrated:

Hong Kong (nice, but not the most beautiful)
Dubai (hello? skyline are you there?)
Tokyo (no real skyline)
Toronto (all the reasons stated)
and In a way NYC too, because while it is skyscraper crazy, its layout doesn't grant it a skyline like Chicago (which is much smaller, but prettier and more affective)

Underrated:

Sao Paulo (****** amazing just by sheer mass)
Vancouver (most gorgeous)
Minneapolis (huge and impressive CBD)
Los Angeles (just because its at the bottom of everyones list, but it is decent)
CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #15
Symphony of Lights
Aficionado

I guess it depends on how you are using the term. If New York and Hong Kong are overrated, it is because they are discussed excessively, not because too many people are praising what isn't there. They're both the real deal IMO, and deserve all the acclaim they get for building such truly remarkable skylines.
Symphony of Lights no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 03:28 AM   #16
dougmatic
dougmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better
Does this achieve anything constructive? I can certainly see where some trolls will use it as an opportunity to vent against cities that consistently beat their own in polls... To me this seems sort of silly.
Maybe to have friendly discussion/debate about the merits of some skylines and to open our eyes to and hopefully come to enjoy some lesser known or appreciated skylines? Is that a crime?
Old December 7th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #17
dougmatic
dougmatic

It's interesting how Vancounver shows up on both the overrated and underrated lists. I personally like the expansiveness of it, strangely I think the uniformity is what makes it unique. Some skylines like Sao Paulo, Tokyo, and Seoul which don't really have a central skyline but just spread on for miles and miles I think look incredible because of their vastness. Then on the other hand, others like Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, and Seattle are much more centrally concentrated and I like those too. I guess my biggest problem with soem skylines are density and coherency (Miami, Dubai, Atlanta)
Old December 7th, 2005, 04:08 AM   #18
dewback

Likes (Received): 1

Overrated:
Dubai: Not only the skyline lacks density, but I loath the architectural style of most of the skyscrapers. Somehow Dubai gives you a very artificial feeling that is enhanced by the obvious planning of a pompous master project.
Toronto: Its quite a nice skyline, but I don't grasp the "holier than thou" attitude that many forumers have about this city.

Underrated:
Metro Manila: Its a very dynamic skyline that isn't affected by many of the typical problems of modern skylines. The fact their buildings are actually good looking and don't resort to futurism is an achievement.
Paris: La Defense forms a very good looking cluster. The individual buildings might be below average, but the composition is great and matches historical Paris.
Chicago: Looks more organized than NYC, but isn't organized enough to feel cliche or artificial.
Los Angeles: Heavily criticized by many forumers, but I believe that is one of the most balanced skylines out there. The symmetry around US Bank Tower is easy on the eyes.
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #19
sharpie20
Wlis

Likes (Received): 4

underrated: Seattle

overrated: Dubai

'nuff said
sharpie20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:37 AM   #20
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity
dare i say the greatest and appropriately celebrated skyline in the world is Chicago? lets not all pounce on me at once

No Doubt. Its always tough for me to pick between Chitown and Hong Kong (at Night)
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote