daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #41
GregPz
Explore

Likes (Received): 248

Overated

London Nice city but definitely not for skyscrapers. Skyline just looks grey (but maybe that's just the weather)
Rotterdam I just don't get why people on these forums think it has a good skyline. No decent height, no density and no good looking buildings.
Atlanta Too spread out and simply not as great as it's made out to be.
Sao Paulo Just a sprawling mass with no distiguishing buildings or height.

Underated

Naples A good skyline where you least expect it.
Durban Good density and some nice looking buildings in a beautiful setting.
Boston Lovely downtown cluster that doesn't get enough attention
GregPz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #42
sharpie20
Wlis

Likes (Received): 4

Overrated:
Tokyo
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Canary wharf
La defense

Underated:
Honolulu
Sao Paulo
Manila
Urumqi
sharpie20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #43
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 631

overrated:
london---claimed to be one of the best skylines yet i only see like 4 buildings and none of them are that tall.
san francisco:ugly IMO
DUBAI:not that great

underrated:
toronto: beautiful tall and getting better
miami:hey im biased,and of course its going to be on of the top5 skylines in the US soon.
los angeles: i personally dont like la to much but alot of ppl dont know how nice this skyline really is.
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #44
dougmatic
dougmatic

Likes (Received): 0

toronto and especially miami are the overrated ones, in my opinion. san francisco is beautiful.
dougmatic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #45
ToRoNto, g-town

Likes (Received): 10

i notices how many people r cutting up Toronto, its not THAT over rated and its skyline still isnt horible, you have to see it in person to appriciate it...and london aswell its on the overrated list quite a few times, when London is an amazing city and rarely gets complimented on its skyline (because it isnt all that great) just sayin i dunt think it should b cut up that much but im sure u all have ur reasons.
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #46
jiggawhat?

Likes (Received): 198

Overrated:
-Vancouver
-Hong Kong
-dubai

Underrated:
-Los Angeles
-Seattle
-San Diego
jiggawhat? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #47
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Overrated...
Toronto
Old January 25th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #48
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregPz
Rotterdam...and no good looking buildings.
I disagree. IMO the Montevideo, the Port Authority building, the Westin Hotel and some smaller ones (especially the Ernst&Young building) are all nice highrises. They just have one problem: They are hidden between all the bland and ugly highrises (except of Montevideo and the Porth Authority Building, which are exposed)
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #49
Ar3Man

Likes (Received): 1

Super - Overrated:

-Shanghai

Underrated:

-Seattle
-Melbourne
-Seoul
Ar3Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #50
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Hong Kong's skyline is very overrated. I see more photos of HK's skyline compared to other skylines around Asia!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #51
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Overrated - Toronto takes the cake. A good skyline but some T-Dot's are genuinely shocked when it is not considered to be a top five skyline by some. Its good but it needs a some stand out tall's and some great talls away from the cluster. It looks like they will get these in the near future though.

London - Other then Swiss Re Londons tall commercial buildings are some of the most lamest and unimagantive I think in the world. It should be much improved in 5-10 years but right now the skyline is pretty bad.

Singapore - its good no doubt but I often see it mentioned in the top 4 because it has a nice cluster. Still they don't have enough talls to really wow me to any degree. Its very good but far from the very best.

Underrated
- Manila. Not very tall but nice and dense and pretty intreasting.
- Pittsburgh. The best "little" skyline in the world I would claim. Some people know of it but others still don't know of it.
- Paris - It sure doesn't wow me but the quality seems very sleek and high. Also La Defense buildings have a certain charecther look which I tend to like. It could use a little mixing of style though.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #52
zulu69
selling my body since 88'

Likes (Received): 65

Underrated:

Seattle
Philly
Chicago (i think can be equalled but not surpassed)
Melbourne
Gold Coast
Sao Paulo
Buenos Aires

Overrated:

Canary wharf
La defense
-the above two can only be faulted for their skylines (as the city is concerned), but for me it is a great thing that they resist the urge to destroy their priceless past which is much much nicer anyway.

Shanghai - way too polluted in pics i have seen. Great designs otherwise, but what is the point if only a handful of buildings can be seen thro the haze.

Toronto - not a bad skyline but it is the way their forumers go on about it makes you think it is 100x better and frankly it doesn't meet their opinions.
zulu69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #53
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse
Overrated:
- Toronto. Too corporate and severe. Also, there really aren't that many supertalls for a NA city of its size and wealth. Many people quote the impressive total number of buildings, but many of those buildings are low and midrise, and aren't even visible in the skyline. This is still a great skyline mind you, and its abundance of low and midrise buildings is wonderful at street level, but people have an unfortunate habit of overrating it.
Sorry, I have to reply to this. I know Toronto skyline is overrated though.

Name one North American city with the same or around the same Metro population, that has a better skyline, (Cities in that range would be: Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, or Philadelphia). The number of highrises is ~1,600, metro area is around 2,000. Those are highrises, not midrises, or lowrises.

Overrated:
-Toronto
-Vancouver
-Frankfurt

Underrated:
Waaaaaay too many to list.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #54
Shion Uzuki
Engineer-in-training

Overrated: Toronto

I live in Toronto, and I am surprised that its being taked so mcuh here. Waterfront could be developed better IMO.

Underrated: Macau, Toyko

Tokyo deserves more... everything is very spread out.

Never overrated: NYC, HK

It was nothing when I lived in HK, but coming back after 10 yrs in Toronto I was totally amazed. Have to be there in person. The geography there is unique, and so is the HK skyline. NY. Soo sooo much skyscrapers...

Does not fit into the skyline category: London, Paris

They're historical. I don't think its right to compare them with modern skyline (because we interpret the term as being modern)
Shion Uzuki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #55
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye101
Sorry, I have to reply to this. I know Toronto skyline is overrated though.

Name one North American city with the same or around the same Metro population, that has a better skyline, (Cities in that range would be: Atlanta, Dallas, Miami, or Philadelphia). The number of highrises is ~1,600, metro area is around 2,000. Those are highrises, not midrises, or lowrises.

The VAST VAST majority of those 1,600 buildings are under 200 feet and many are away from the downtown. One can in no way appreciate or frankly care about all those 150 foot high rises miles away from Torontos CBD. I would describe anything that is 200-400ft as likely a mid-rise. And other then a few hundreds of those they are all around or under 200ft.

That would be like saying people should take into account Chicago's MANY high rises along its lakefront 4 miles to the north or the talls in Brooklyn or Jersey City when taking into account NYC skyline. Yes, the number of 100-150ft apartment and condo buildings are impressive in Toronto but if you are going to go by that measure then Sao Paulo would be the undisputed champ in the world. People are mostly take into account the CBD and its immediate surroundings when factoring in skyline and Toronto is at the same level or at least in the same neighborhood (not significantly by any measure) then those other NA city's of similar size.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #56
XCRunner

Most underrated skyline ever: Minneapolis.
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #57
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Underrated:
Los Angeles
Kansas City

Overrated:
Atlanta
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #58
Gravitas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I don't know how any of you can really make any judgement about such places like Dubai and Shanghai. Any country where's there a mass transformation occuring, there can't be any real conclusions except of course for those here that have nationalistic motivations.

Some of you are arguing for Los Angeles! Maybe some day if there's a real commitment for renewal there. It reminds me of Las Vegas though. Any where near the strip or tourists areas looks great, but when you travel literally just one block over, it's like rundown city.
Gravitas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #59
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12186

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
The VAST VAST majority of those 1,600 buildings are under 200 feet and many are away from the downtown. One can in no way appreciate or frankly care about all those 150 foot high rises miles away from Torontos CBD. I would describe anything that is 200-400ft as likely a mid-rise. And other then a few hundreds of those they are all around or under 200ft.

That would be like saying people should take into account Chicago's MANY high rises along its lakefront 4 miles to the north or the talls in Brooklyn or Jersey City when taking into account NYC skyline. Yes, the number of 100-150ft apartment and condo buildings are impressive in Toronto but if you are going to go by that measure then Sao Paulo would be the undisputed champ in the world. People are mostly take into account the CBD and its immediate surroundings when factoring in skyline and Toronto is at the same level or at least in the same neighborhood (not significantly by any measure) then those other NA city's of similar size.
Ahh, I expected to see you getting your claws into Toronto. Don't you
have anything else to do in life than whine about TO?
Old January 27th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #60
LANative
Smile!

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas
Some of you are arguing for Los Angeles! Maybe some day if there's a real commitment for renewal there. It reminds me of Las Vegas though. Any where near the strip or tourists areas looks great, but when you travel literally just one block over, it's like rundown city.
There is a lot renewal going down in L.A. Give L.A. another 5-10 years (im hoping 5 years) you'll see a lot will have changed.
LANative no está en línea   Reply With Quote