daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #61
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better
Ahh, I expected to see you getting your claws into Toronto. Don't you
have anything else to do in life than whine about TO?

how am i "getting my claws" into Toronto? All I was saying that the 1,500 (whatever the number is) of highrises often put forth by Toronto boosters is of pretty little consequence of the Toronto CBD. The number of skyscrapers (300-400ft and up) are not that numerous. I do think Toronto has a good skyline but I do think its overrated. That is picking on Toronto?
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #62
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

lol, no love for TO in this thread.
Old January 29th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #63
Perth4life

Likes (Received): 19

i only think that TO is overated by the TO forumers.. they think TO is the best and can beat anyone. most other forumers don't feel that way.
lotta bias there.
Perth4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #64
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

^I think it's good to have hometown pride, and Toronto is certainly capable of knocking off the skylines of most other cities.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:50 AM   #65
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perth4life
i only think that TO is overated by the TO forumers.. they think TO is the best and can beat anyone. most other forumers don't feel that way.
lotta bias there.
No forum on Toronto would be complete without a dissing by the 14 year
old from Perth who has never travelled outside his suburb.
You failed to use your favourite expressions though, Stuck-In-Perth-4Life;
"commie-block-dog-boxes"..
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #66
Dr. Phalange

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
All I was saying that the 1,500 (whatever the number is) of highrises often put forth by Toronto boosters is of pretty little consequence of the Toronto CBD.
Maybe in most photos, but not at ground level. Besides, because of the vast number of highrises, the 'skyline' is everywhere, not just in the CBD, which makes it unique. You can be several miles away from the CBD and there are still a plethora of skyscrapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
The number of skyscrapers (300-400ft and up) are not that numerous.
There are >130 buildings over 300ft (built and U/C). That is quite a few I'd say. After Chicago and NYC (arguably two of the top 3 world skylines), I don't think there is any city in NA that has as many as Toronto.

Last edited by Dr. Phalange; January 29th, 2006 at 07:19 AM.
Dr. Phalange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #67
Perth4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better
No forum on Toronto would be complete without a dissing by the 14 year
old from Perth who has never travelled outside his suburb.
You failed to use your favourite expressions though, Stuck-In-Perth-4Life;
"commie-block-dog-boxes"..
Never travelled out of my suburb? i must live in a big suburb.

come-block-dog-boxes, never heard that before in my life, good one!

all the shit you claim to have on me is false and not funny either. so go back to school and learn what a suburb is.
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #68
Dr. Phalange

Quote:
lotta bias there.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, it is funny you mention bias, because it is bloody obvious to anyone who has seen your posts that you are guilty of bias against TO.
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #69
Perth4life

you just contradicted yourself there, i thought everyone is entitled to their opinion? my posts are my opinion of toronto.
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #70
Dr. Phalange

Quote:
you just contradicted yourself there, i thought everyone is entitled to their opinion? my posts are my opinion of toronto.
Do you know what a contradiction is? Obviously not.

I didn't deny your entitlement to your opinion...but that doesn't change the fact that your opinion (which you are entitled to) is horribly biased.

I must admit, you are a frustrating forumer- having to explain the basic elements of conversation to you like this after you misinterpet or simply make things up.
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #71
Perth4life

you did contadict yourself by saying that everyones entitled to their opinions and then acusing me of bias against toronto when i was stating my opinion!

i know what contradiction is eg. " i really don't like the new freeway system" " but oh the freeway system is really good"
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #72
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Underrated: Toronto. It's a very misunderstood city. The dominance of the CN Tower and an unfortunate tendency of the CBD to be judged from the waterfront take away from the fact that Toronto has a massive downtown core with a skyline that goes on for miles. SSC visitors of the more enlightened variety have compared the city to Chicago and even Manhattan. (Please note that the word 'compared' is not a synonym for the word 'equated'.)

Overrated: Toronto. It's a perverse situation really. Combine the fact that it's misunderstood, with a disproportionately high population of proud TO forumers who are jaded by the fact it is misunderstood, and you have a city that is over-exposed here on SSC. It's a cycle that will never end (perpetuated by the fact that I'm even typing all of this )

Other than TO:

Overrated: none.

Underrated: Los Angeles, any Australian city (other than Canberra), most mid-sized American cities (Tulsa, Providence, you know, cities you've never even heard of)

algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #73
Dr. Phalange

Quote:
you did contadict yourself by saying that everyones entitled to their opinions and then acusing me of bias against toronto when i was stating my opinion!
Oh boy. Get back into a classroom....quickly.

Having a 'bias opinion' is still an opinion, which like I said, you are entitled to. Thus, no contradiction took place.

Man, this is painful.
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #74
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Note: I'd like to add the fact that Toronto is over-exposed because of dumb-****ers like Perth4Life who don't know when to shut up. Just see any 'Australia vs Toronto' thread, particularly that last nasty one. It just doesn't stop.

Come to think of it, at last half of the Toronto v.s. threads in CvsC were started by non-torontonians, and there were alot of them. What can you do?
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #75
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Maybe in most photos, but not at ground level. Besides, because of the vast number of highrises, the 'skyline' is everywhere, not just in the CBD, which makes it unique. You can be several miles away from the CBD and there are still a plethora of skyscrapers.
But again, those are high rises which are not very noteable in photos. You could go to Edgewater in Chicago (5 miles north of downtown) and you will get the same effect. But nobody would seriously mention that those high rises make up a part of the "skyline". You could say the same thing about the hundreads of buildings in Brooklyn and Queens. Yes, they are impressive but in reality they do pretty little from most vantiage points when when observes what most people think of "the skyline" (usually the CBD where the tallest buildigns by far are).

Quote:
There are >130 buildings over 300ft (built and U/C). That is quite a few I'd say.
It is for sure. And in ten years (as opposed to now) there will probably be little doubt that Toronto has the 3rd best skyline in NA because much of the tall building is being done near or in the CBD. All the resedentail high rises that are 100-200ft that are built in North York or Scarborough.

Chicago and New York are building higher and just as many tall scrapers as Toronto though Toronto is building more high rises then either right now I would gather.

The highrises is a great factor in pointing to the urbanity of Toronto but in terms of what most people consider "the skyline", not all that much. Again, if those highrises were really what made a great skyline then most people would put Sao Paulo near the top of their list.

Quote:
After Chicago and NYC (arguably two of the top 3 world skylines), I don't think there is any city in NA that has as many as Toronto.
In terms of just CBD skylines I go back and forth on Seattle, LA, Toronto, Philly, etc. right now. I don't think any are heads and shoulders about the other. Though I do think in 5-10 years that Toronto will likely stand heads and shoulders above the others if most of their developments get built. Miami is the only other city (other then NYC and Chi) that can compete with Toronto's building but Miami's building will be mostly to spread out (again away from a solid CBD core) to outclass Toronto.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 09:54 AM   #76
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

The postcard shot is usually from the Toronto islands, unfortunately. It must be something to do with the need to show water.

This is why Toronto forumers try to increase exposure to the rest of downtown. Sure the towers of MINT are the most noticeable... from the island. But if you aren't on the island (basically everyone else - tourists, locals) almost every other building is noticeable. As opposed to the island shot you get something of the effect of:

In addition, clusters of residential / commercial towers in NY / Scarborough (both part of Toronto proper) in the magnitude of hundreds are littered everywhere.

North York has a nice skyline developing and it is growing quite rapidly (likely all in the range of 300-400ft+)

Is the island view an accurate portrayal of how the skyline is seen by most people visiting or living in the city? No. Is it the view printed on postcards? Yes.

Underrated: N number of Chinese cities / Asian cities in general.
Old January 29th, 2006, 02:00 PM   #77
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
^I think it's good to have hometown pride, and Toronto is certainly capable of knocking off the skylines of most other cities.
It's certainly hometown pride, which is a good thing in moderation.

I don't believe Toronto is capable of knocking off most cities, this is totally subjective and actually a rather arrogant assertion - I think this thread indicates otherwise?

Last edited by Avatar; January 29th, 2006 at 02:07 PM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 02:56 PM   #78
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar
It's certainly hometown pride, which is a good thing in moderation.

I don't believe Toronto is capable of knocking off most cities, this is totally subjective and actually a rather arrogant assertion - I think this thread indicates otherwise?
Avatar, your totally subjective and rather arrogant assertion is based on
YOUR hometown pride of Sydney, and whether it is in moderation or not
is certainly debateable.
Let's face it, this is nothing but a thinly veiled City vs City thread.

Last edited by Taller, Better; January 29th, 2006 at 03:56 PM.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #79
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

Last edited by elliot; January 29th, 2006 at 04:05 PM.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #80
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Lets get back to the topic then:

I've noticed than in general, cities that are overrated are ones going through a transformation. They're overrated because people boast about the future skyline, blah, blah... when in fact the current one is not all that great. The best examples are London and Dubai.

Future London Skyline:

Skyline looks great here although LBT tower (the best one IMO) is not shown. Loads of people boast that London will have THE best skyline in Europe when clearly there's competition from Paris, Istanbul, maybe Kiev and definitely Moscow.

2nd example is Dubai:
Model of business bay, location of burj dubai shown aswell:

Although they have some great skyscrapers already, the skyline is really a just a skyline at the moment. It definitely can't compare to skylines like Chicago's yet.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote